A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Herbie

So? That doesn't make them free to build and operate .

Just letting you know. One could look at it from a 'today's management weren't the original curators therefore it had to be worthwhile' perspective. Not to mention Mine was approved because, with the Seven Dwarfs, it was more boy-centric than their original plans. And with LM and BatB, an older property was in good company. They needed something there, no matter the cost.

disneylandcm

C'mon, we both know that no one reads here and no one Tweets or sub-tweets or sub-sub-hoagie tweets about what is posted here. And certainly no one ever feels the need to credit me, my information or the site when news is broken here. Much better to Tweet in a vacuum with people who always agree with you. The fan community is truly its own worse enemy and I have been told this by a few big 'names' in the biz.
Spirit, are there any plans for DL's Tomorrowland after our current SW "experience" becomes obsolete and redundant? Thank you!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Alright, so i understand Disney looking for cheaper Guardians options than the major huge thing that were rumored to be working on for UOE. I understand the budget getting too big and then looking for cheaper options. but why go right to getting rid of ToT as their cheaper option? If they wanted a cheaper Guardians ride, why not Mission Space? I wwas there over the summer and the park was pretty full, but mission space never once had longer than a 15 minutes wait at most. The video and ride felt very much in need of an update. most people i know avoid the ride entirely because it makes them sick. why not update that ride system and give it a Guardians theme. They woul dnt even have to ruin the theming! you can still be an istc pilot getting ready for a deep space mission.Have the pre show be interupted by coulson (an original movie character, so I'd imagine disney could use him) explaining the real reason for the mission is to retrieve some important artifact (carefully wording things to avoid saying "avengers," "shield," and "thanos"). oonce you get into space, you run into the guardian's also trying to get the artifact and some other stuff happening. no major attractions lost, epcot theming works, relatively cheap GotG ride. All problems solved! (Well some problems solved)

tl77

One more quickee (because fanbois know Spirited ones are the best kind!):

Remember when Disney had to pay Coke a boatload of money after Shendi on its own went out and decided that Pepsi would be the official beverage supplier of SDL?

Well, Disney's Legal department just finished paying off Coca-Cola to the tune of tens of millions of dollars because Coke products won't be sold in Star Wars Land, since Coke isn't available in that Galaxy, Far, Far Away. (I always assumed it was RC Cola with maybe some Faygo and Snapple thrown in ... whiny brat Kylo loves his Snapple!) I get and appreciate that Disney wants to copy UNI and the WWoHP. But that worked because all of those drinks and treats and even candies were things that J.K. Rowling had created. They existed.

First Order burgers with black buns are just plain lame (and they sound and look disgusting, so I will not go near that stuff). This is just dumb. Because there isn't a galaxy of SW treats that people know, love and associate with the films. I am guessing Iger has called in the cast of The Chew to create items. Of course, this also sets a bad precedent because it makes people think that the SWE is different or more special than plain old DL.

Anyway, now Legal is working on Visa because WDI doesn't want the Visa logo visible on any SWE cash register or restaurant bill folder, despite Disney's sponsorship contract that says Visa gets that branding privilege. WDI is really taking the story and theme that seriously, no matter the cost. Some might say they are taking things way too seriously.

I'm amazed that this is the sort of thing they choose to spend money on, instead of actual entertainment and attractions... I think the "impressive themed land" concept has now officially gotten out of hand

AEfx

Today is a different world... the amplifier factor of social media and the way people consume news changes the volume and speed of things dramatically. Just ask any business if they behave differently now in the era of Yelp, facebook, google, etc.

The trick is to how to get the ground swell in your favor.

Conversely it could totally backfire. Millions of people loved GoG and would foam at the mouth at getting a GoG attraction. In a good way, not the way people are here, LOL.

Magenta Panther

If I hear another person ask whether anyone remembers The Twilight Zone anymore, i'll need to have my palm surgically removed from my face...

It was, is and will always be an incredible show. It was insanely popular for its time and has retained its status as a beloved classic over the years. Not to mention it has held up infinitely better than almost all other TV shows (not just compared to ones from its own time). It's widely considered one of the best (some would even say THE best) TV shows ever created, and yes people remember and adore it.

That's the thing - people say "Oh, today's generation has probably never even seen the Twilight Zone show" - yeah, so what? Not everyone has seen the GotG movie, either. But ANYONE can grasp and appreciate the concept of a haunted Hollywood hotel. That's a cool idea that excites and attracts people of all languages, nationalities and generations. TDO would have to be absolute fools to rid themselves of something so universally understood in favor of an IP that's only relevant to you if you've seen the movie it's based on, which automatically limits its appeal. And since DHS is a hodge-podge of IPs anyway, why rid it of one of the best-realized ones? This move to instill Marvel into DHS as cheaply as possible and destroy something so good to do it just makes Disney look bad. It cheapens the "brand", if you will. Do the people at TDO have any sensibilities at all? Are they truly that oblivious and shallow-brained?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Steve Jobs sums up the current state of Disney with a Xerox analogy.

That is a really great comparison to what's happening at Disney today, The sales and marketing folks are running it with zero appreciation of the PRODUCT which got them there, Jobs is correct Xerox PARC had GUI systems 15 years before the rest of the industry but their management was too blind to see the potential.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's the thing - people say "Oh, today's generation has probably never even seen the Twilight Zone show" - yeah, so what? Not everyone has seen the GotG movie, either. But ANYONE can grasp and appreciate the concept of a haunted Hollywood hotel. That's a cool idea that excites and attracts people of all languages, nationalities and generations. TDO would have to be absolute fools to rid themselves of something so universally understood in favor of an IP that's only relevant to you if you've seen the movie it's based on, which automatically limits its appeal. And since DHS is a hodge-podge of IPs anyway, why rid it of one of the best-realized ones? This move to instill Marvel into DHS as cheaply as possible and destroy something so good to do it just makes Disney look bad. It cheapens the "brand", if you will. Do the people at TDO have any sensibilities at all? Are they truly that oblivious and shallow-brained?

In answer to your question YES they are.

Bairstow

You're already forgetting the "Dark ride the size of Toontown featuring around 150 animatronics, half of them being Stormtroopers"

Wait, is this sarcasm or did I miss something?
I thought all the new star wars stuff was going to be screen-based.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

I agree with your sentiment, but I think you are underestimating Guardians a bit. The larger themes of heroes, villains, and adventure are all very universal and timeless. Space/aliens are also pretty universal themes (pun intended lol). I 100% believe getting rid of tower of terror would be a mistake, but if the ride is well made i have no problem seeing Guardians being a great fit the parks and being a great attraction even if the movie stops being relevant because those larger themes will shine through.

Regarding the "oh, the change is impossible" bit...

I think we also need to watch the tone of letters we write. I could write a heartfelt, three page letter on how ToT influenced my life's work because of the backstory, detail, etc. It would actually be true--one day in 1995 changed everything for me.

Anger will not solve things. Constructive responses will. We don't know if things will work, but there is no use in giving up and saying that "Disney doesn't listen to us". I have seen at least one case of that working with a similar company in my lifetime, so here's the deal:

If you write to Disney...and I encourage not only you, but EVERYONE YOU KNOW to do so...don't be a ticked off social media person. That accomplishes nothing. Instead, give real reasons why ToT should STAY.

Another thing to realize: a lot can change in a year. Next year at this time, we'll be closer to the opening of Toy Story Land. What if that gets delayed? What if the DCA tower flops? What if GoTG 2 goes over horribly? What if there is more cashflow to get the Guardians at Epcot back? There are lots of variables. If you want to keep your head up, just tell yourself that Voyage of the Little Mermaid was supposed to close a long time ago and never did. I know it's not on the same scale as ToT, but still...it's proof that sometimes these plans never go through. The GMR stuff is another example. Who knows--we may be putting Guardians in there next year at this time?

Be proactive, don't complain, and don't forget to stay home when GoTG comes to the theater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom