Ratatouille in Epcot

doctornick

I have said before that I would prefer it over Ratatouille if this is the mindless direction Epcot is going and we can't do anything to stop it, but yes. It would be weird.

Don't really agree. I would say that Hunchback is clearly the most appropriate Disney IP to use, as it is really a classic French tale and greatly features the city of Paris and a major landmark of the city. I could even imagine an interesting pre-show or after show based on the Festival of Fools. But I'd agree that Disney doesn't seem to care much for that film at this point...

Of the remaining films, I think Ratatouille works better for WS than the likes of BatB or Cinderella. Ratatouille is based in the "real" France and celebrates a huge part of French culture -- the culinary arts. The princess stuff, while drawing from a cultural works, feel "fake" because of their fictional settings and don't have as deserved a place in a pavilion that (should) celebrates the actual country of France. YMMV.

Anyway, interesting to hear this rumor crop back up. I do also recall that there was talk about a new country actually being considered to be added.

Mike S

Don't really agree. I would say that Hunchback is clearly the most appropriate Disney IP to use, as it is really a classic French tale and greatly features the city of Paris and a major landmark of the city. I could even imagine an interesting pre-show or after show based on the Festival of Fools. But I'd agree that Disney doesn't seem to care much for that film at this point...

Of the remaining films, I think Ratatouille works better for WS than the likes of BatB or Cinderella. Ratatouille is based in the "real" France and celebrates a huge part of French culture -- the culinary arts. The princess stuff, while drawing from a cultural works, feel "fake" because of their fictional settings and don't have as deserved a place in a pavilion that (should) celebrates the actual country of France. YMMV.

Anyway, interesting to hear this rumor crop back up. I do also recall that there was talk about a new country actually being considered to be added.
I think BatB and Ratatouille would both be awesome additions, however I prefer Ratatouille so that they don't start a trend of adding a Princess ride to each Country
My choice of B&tB is purely because the ride looks much better than Ratatouille.

MerlinTheGoat

From what I've seen of the Ratatouille ride, i don't like it at all. I haven't ridden it in person, but i have an inherent dislike of video screen and 3d based rides as a whole and this is one of the most screen heavy I've seen from Disney besides Toy Story Mania (which i actually hate).

And that's just my opinion of it as a standalone ride, disregarding the argument as to whether its potential placement at World Showcase is appropriate or not (granted a bit more so than Frozen at least, but still another unfortunate ip tie in that dumbs the park down, ironic considering the plot of the movie itself too). There are definitely worse ideas of ip to shove in here, but i still don't actually care for the Ratatouille ride itself even if placed in a 100% appropriate location. If there is any truth to this, hopefully it won't mean the end of Impressions at least.

I know Martin has been slightly optimistic about the future of Epcot recently, but none of the ride rumors posted thus far have given me any hope yet. Just seems like a continuation of how it is already being handled (though allegedly with some better facades in Future World). The ip mess seems to not be slowing at all...

No Name

I would support the Ratatouille ride, if it is a true addition. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it wouldn't be my last. I hate rats, and I dislike clones and rides that require 3D glasses. But I love food, and the ride showcases an important part of French culture, which is food (and fancy restaurant service). So overall, happy to hear that there's a chance of this happening.

Side note. They would likely have to edit the screen portions anyway, since the characters would be speaking English, not French. So I would really appreciate it if there add cheesy fireworks to the final goodbye scene. Both current World Showcase rides proudly have them, and, well, you can't just stop what you started.

Does anyone know the capacity of Ratatouille in France? Even if it's 2000, I doubt it solves the problem with Frozen's capacity.

Theoretical capacity is about 2,200 an hour.

I think all attractions that intend to be popular should strive to serve over 3,000 an hour, but I've come to accept anything above 2,000 as "good."

and this is one of the most screen heavy I've seen from Disney besides Toy Story Mania (which i actually hate).

And Soarin' and Star Tours, which I'd say are the two most screen-based rides* in the whole resort.

And Rapunzel. She has a frog so she fits themewise in France..

I'm compelled to chime in here and clarify that Rapunzel's sidekick, Marcel/Raul/Pascal(?) is a chameleon not a frog. So, if we're deciding on the placement of new princesses' attractions by their respective critter sidekick's native land (& why the hell not at this point) a Rapunzel attraction would be more appropriately located somewhere within the Harambe Village at Animal Kingdom. ;P

No Name

I meant to exclude sims (which i am more understanding having screens), accidentally deleted that text.

Actually even Star Tours has more physical elements than Toy Story Mania thanks to the c3po AA.

Ok I see about the simulators.

And well, that last point is debatable. But I love TSMM, even though I don't like screen-heavy and 3D rides. In fact, I believe it is the ride that I've been on the most times in the last 8 years. So I'm biased.

yeti

I'd like an improved version of Ratatouille, which is fun but flawed, sort of like Gringotts. Or the original. Or Beauty and the Beast (would be weird, but I don't think there's even room for it in FL). Whichever really. I'm just really pleased that they might be considering expansion instead of replacing Impressions :D.

Cesar R M

Well, the only other things I could fit would be BatB, Sleeping Beauty, or Cinderella, as those all borrow from the French versions of those stories. Hunchback WOULD fit, but Disney seems to have pretty much disavowed that.
Beauty and the beast perhaps? I mean, the new movie is around the corner..
Don't forget Aristocats lol
Aristocats is french? I could swear it was UK english.

Cesar R M

I dont think Hunchback would sell a lot of merchandize.. which is a #1 priority of Chapek lately. (unless of course, you make him a member of the avengers or some other BS lol)

If they make a Beauty and the Beast ride in Epcot after all they did in NFL without a real ride, well, that's nuts.
I can imagine them doing again.. a replacement. Chefs de France restaurant theme change to Beauty and the beast's theme (movie wise).
I mean, almost all the changes at WDW recently have been replacements, not additions.

Hula Popper

Well, the only other things I could fit would be BatB, Sleeping Beauty, or Cinderella, as those all borrow from the French versions of those stories. Hunchback WOULD fit, but Disney seems to have pretty much disavowed that.

Maybe it will be used to expand Morocco, not France....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Does anyone know the capacity of Ratatouille in France? Even if it's 2000, I doubt it solves the problem with Frozen's capacity.
I found a review online that claims it's theoretical ride capacity is 2,200 which would put right in line with Spaceship Earth or Imagination. Definitely better than Frozen. Each "ratmobile" holds 6 riders and it can load 6 cars at a time so 36 guests at a time. 1 minute per load would get to around 2,200. I've never been on the ride so I can't confirm if that's actually accurate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom