Hurricane Matthew

21stamps

Your first friend sounds like me, I've been through many hurricanes including Katrina and while I do agree getting prepared is great but i'll be here when you get back from evacuating.
I wouldn't have left the state..or even the county.. But I would have gone to a hotel inland for Matthew. From what everyone is telling me though there are not any rooms left anywhere..even with the Airbnb stuff.

JohnD

Original Poster
I'm surprised with the amount of people that think Florida is just going about life as normal through this.

There's a thread somewhere else where the person's arrival day at Disney was today at the campground. They were driving in... Everyone told them to just stay put wherever they were and stay away. There hasn't been any update to that discussion...

People who have flights or are driving in need to use common sense and realize that with all the warnings and orders be given that there may be no one available to help you. For those driving, I imagine that you'll get so far South in Florida and you'll be met with signs telling you to turn around (or authorities)... For those with flights, just because the airport may be open til 8 tonight, doesn't mean you'll make it out of the airport once you arrive.

Disney is not a place to die for. Yes, it sucks if you're vacation is being altered or canceled but it's nothing worse losing your life or those of you family to get there. The place is closed starting later today through tomorrow.

As authorities are saying, once this ramps up, they won't be coming to help you.

Somebody complained, in this thread I think, about their relocation to All Star Music. We have a Cat 4 hurricane coming in and they're complaining they were moved to a resort. Would they rather stay in their tent at Ft. Wilderness? Sheesh.

DManRightHere

And before @wdw1982 jumps in and repeats "buildings are safe, codes improved after Wilma", I will remind him...and everyone else...that not all buildings in Florida were either constructed or renovated after Andrew and Wilma....

Is it really the buildings? I thought it was mainly storm surges and flooding...

bunnyman

Not really sure...I would think Disney would give them new tickets for the remaining days. That would be better than getting a refund for the extra days.

I think it would be fun. I'd like to see mother natures fury, I just hope all is safe.

I know during Charley that they literally handed us a replacement ticket as you exited the park that was good anytime during the next year or so. But that was different, as they closed the parks at 1pm and reopened them in stages the next day. Not sure how they would work it when they close the park at 5pm and in advance for the next day.

Voxel

President of Progress City
to the best of my knowledge, it's just the barrier islands under a mandatory evac. However I have friends in Orlando being urged to leave at this point.
Barrier Islands, easily flooded arears close to lakes have been evacuated, and most areas east of I-95 when you get near Palm Coast, Flagler, Daytona.

PhotoDave219

to the best of my knowledge, it's just the barrier islands under a mandatory evac. However I have friends in Orlando being urged to leave at this point.

Anyone in a mobile home park or manufactured home is being advised to evac as well. Ive been in touch with some friends whom are usually the most rock solid people, completely unflappable. And theyre nervous about this.

R W B

Does anyone know if Disney forces cast members to come in work their shifts during a Hurricane? I mean all the hotels are not closing and they do need to have some type of skeleton crew working. Same thing with essential operations throughout the rest of the property. Just curious to know what they do with cast members.
I would imagine they would have something close to what hospitals have, at the start of each hurricane season they have signup sheets for who wants to stay during a storm and who wants to be first back for relief. My fiance is a nurse and she signed up to stay during any storm which works for me, one less person I have to worry about.

JohnD

Original Poster
Sorry, but NW Florida is the best part of the state. Hills, trees, the best beaches - I'd take St. George or PCB/Destin over Rocky Point any day. South Florida, both coasts , is too flat, too much concrete and devoid of any trees.

The canopy roads, however. The canopy does a number on my allergies.

mousehockey37

Somebody complained, in this thread I think, about their relocation to All Star Music. We have a Cat 4 hurricane coming in and they're complaining they were moved to a resort. Would they rather stay in their tent at Ft. Wilderness? Sheesh.

Exactly.

On the WESH cast... they just said that the airport hotel is full... they're taking people from there to the Odyessey (sp?) Middle School shelter.

That and that the Wawa by the airport has gas... the tanker just left. The fuel distribution center (that sends out the tankers) is closing at 5pm... so whatever trucks are out, that's it. That's your gas in the Orlando area...

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
You can clearly see the flow of people evacuating into our area down here in Southwest Florida. Alligator Alley traffic is backed up and there is a noticeable increase in people. Hotels here from what I have been told are about at 90% capacity. All are welcome though as we are "only" under a tropical storm watch.

21stamps

Is it really the buildings? I thought it was mainly storm surges and flooding...
The Windows.

Pre 2005 so many condos and apartment building advertised that they were all equipped with hurricane proof glass. The construction there was crazy booming then (see: housing bubble and crash) so we all moved into these beautiful new and safe buildings.and most of us who lived in mandatory evacuation zones felt safe because of our beautiful new overpriced hurricane proof buildings.

Then came Wilma.

She exposed the fact that most weren't actually hurricane proof glass above the first few floors. The rest were only high impact. Apparently there is a difference.

MrPromey

Flooding can be an issue, especially for coastal areas but the wind is the scary part. You're neighbor's lawn furniture become projectiles. Trees come down. Roofs come off and men dressed as women get blown away as Marry Poppins swoops in - scary stuff.

For most, flooding is more of a problem on roads than in homes.

In NOLA, flooding was a major problem. For most of Florida, it's only a major problem when the rain doesn't stop - like for a week or more.

Last edited:

R W B

I must strongly disagree. Yes, building codes were improved after Andrew, but the population since 1991 has dramatically increased, especially along the coast.

To say we will never experience a storm of Andrew's magnitude again is foolhardy. While buildings may be better able to withstand a Category 5, other factors will result in similar damage.

I just stop and think (and am thankful for us) that Katrina's initial path to Apalachicola Bay shifted. Bad for NOLA, but we dodged that bullet.
I have to disagree with you on this, I think 21stamps is correct when she says we won't see that type of aftermath again. Sure, we may see a strong storm but you really think the aftermath won't be any better because of the building codes and other factors that have been put in place?

You brought up Katrina and NOLA, I live here and was here for Katrina (didn't leave til after it passed) and the funny thing is is that Katrina didn't do a lot of damage to NOLA, her aftermath did. The storm surge caused the levees to break after the worst of the storm was passed pretty much. Today, 11 years later I feel 100% confident in saying that I don't think that will happen again because of the work put in to our area since that storm.

mousehockey37

Flooding can be an issue, especially for coastal areas but the wind is the scary part. You're neighbor's lawn furniture become projectiles. Trees come down. Roofs come off and men dressed as women get blown away as Marry Poppins swoops in - scary stuff.

For most, flooding is more of a problem on roads than in homes.

Not to poke fun, but...

I hope those walls on the Disney beaches are high enough if the water goes up... Gators EVERYWHERE!!!!!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
But you don't have iguanas!lol.
We had Key Deer on one of the Florida Keys, so that counts as deer in SoFla ;). I am very glad that we didn't have coyotes. I have them where I live now. I bought an air horn thing that I bring outside in morning and evening with my dog. He's a 4lb Maltese.. I'm in constant fear of a coyote grabbing him.

But you don't have white tail deer strolling through your yard.

Or trees like this:

Live-Oak-Tree-450w.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom