Hurricane Matthew

donaldtoo

DDs cruise just got cancelled.
They've been offered a full refund or 150% credit on a future cruise. They're taking the refund.
They're gonna' ride out the storm at their friends house and then try to make it to MK on Sun. or Mon.
So, hopefully not almost a total wasted trip.
Heck, I'd just be happy to have been in Epcot for the one day...! ;)

21stamps

Why couldn't they leave?
Ok I should have said.. Waited too long and now can't leave.
Instead of leaving 3 days ago.

To be fair though, I said it earlier in the thread.. It's tough to leave your home when you aren't sure if a storm will really hit. Flights are pretty much impossible to obtain, gas stations are 2 hour waits, and hotels fill fast. Plus, just the fear of being away from your home, boat, etc and having no clue what happened to it.

It sounds like a no brainer to have left 3 days ago. But it isn't that simple.

Tony the Tigger

Can you go drag my friends out of Palm Beach Island?

Seriously though, be safe!!!!

I just tried to YouTube it but was unable to find.. I think it may have been in Deerfield Beach in 2005, but there was a reporter standing on A1A or Federal Highway and a Stop Sign flew right by her head. @Tony the Tigger do you remember that? I wish I could find the video.

I would rather have that happen as opposed to a direct hit if had to choose.

Hmmm... I do not remember that stop sign thing. but if it was 2005, I was probably in (gasp) Tampa. :hungover:

mikeh

Ok I should have said.. Waited too long and now can't leave.
Instead of leaving 3 days ago.

To be fair though, I said it earlier in the thread.. It's tough to leave your home when you aren't sure if a storm will really hit. Flights are pretty much impossible to obtain, gas stations are 2 hour waits, and hotels fill fast. Plus, just the fear of being away from your home, boat, etc and having no clue what happened to it.

It sounds like a no brainer to have left 3 days ago. But it isn't that simple.

Ah, yeah. They were told to leave a while ago. I'm riding it out about 15 minutes north of WDW and it looks terrible on the coast

mikeh

Also for South Floridians if they can't get a flight it's a big decision if it is actually worth the drive and traffic or not to get out of Florida. That's a LONG drive.

They could have driven to SWFL and been fine, so long as they can find a hotel.

21stamps

Ah, yeah. They were told to leave a while ago. I'm riding it out about 15 minutes north of WDW and it looks terrible on the coast
They've been "told to leave" plenty of times in the past as well. 90% of the time they end up leaving and it doesn't end up being as bad as predicted.

Again, it's not that easy to get out of south Florida when everyone else is also trying to book a flight or hotel at the same time.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Also for South Floridians if they can't get a flight it's a big decision if it is actually worth the drive and traffic or not to get out of Florida. That's a LONG drive.

Yeah, people don't realize that. It's a good 7 hour drive from Dade County to the state capital. Now imagine that drive with thousands of other South Florida residents fleeing. Which is why the interstates become one way roads away from affected areas. If we had a storm the magnitude of Matthew heading for Tallahassee, I'd be more than just worried. I'd seriously consider evacuating. And I'm about 30 miles from the Gulf.

Daveeeeed

They've been "told to leave" plenty of times in the past as well. 90% of the time they end up leaving and it doesn't end up being as bad as predicted.

Again, it's not that easy to get out of south Florida when everyone else is also trying to book a flight or hotel at the same time.
Well finally convinced my Jacksonville Cousin to drive up here to Atlanta. Hallelujah! Let's hope traffic won't be terrible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom