Hurricane Matthew

JohnD

Original Poster
Which has little to do with canopy roads but more that city traffic engineers apparently have never heard of synchronized traffic lights. Nothing is more frustrating than driving on Calhoun towards Tennessee, sitting at a red light, watching the next light turn green and knowing by the time you get to that light, it will be red. The worst? Intersection of Monroe & Tennessee at rush hour....

I steer clear of that one.

JohnD

Original Poster
What a freaking nightmare situation.... Hours before the storm hits people who made no preparations and who apparently have no plan and no skills to be able to protect themselves and their families are waiting in long lines at a hotel convenience store. The social/cultural implications of that are just terrifying.

I think your post is a little unfair. They're guests who were already at WDW. They've been told to remain at their resorts. Many arrived by plane. As for those who drove in, what are they supposed to do? Ignore WDW, hop in the car, and find the nearest supermarket?

TalkingHead

What a freaking nightmare situation.... Hours before the storm hits people who made no preparations and who apparently have no plan and no skills to be able to protect themselves and their families are waiting in long lines at a hotel convenience store. The social/cultural implications of that are just terrifying.

Agreed it looks like a terrifying social experiment. But admittedly WDW did vacationers no favors -- the resort did not communicate the seriousness of the situation, and tourists don't know what to expect.

The letter that was distributed to hotel guests this morning was laughably flippant. Little more than "we're monitoring it, might have a little wind and rain, no closures, we'll let you know if anything changes, no big deal."

21stamps

I think your post is a little unfair. They're guests who were already at WDW. They've been told to remain at their resorts. Many arrived by plane. As for those who drove in, what are they supposed to do? Ignore WDW, hop in the car, and find the nearest supermarket?
..and the supermarket would probably have less supplies than the hotel convenience store at this point.

DisneyOutsider

Aren't these Disney resort guests AKA tourists? I think they deserve a few more feet of slack than what you're currently affording them. Not sure what else you'd have them do when they're already away from their homes.

21stamps

Agreed it looks like a terrifying social experiment. But admittedly WDW did vacationers no favors -- the resort did not communicate the seriousness of the situation, and tourists don't know what to expect.

The letter that was distributed to hotel guests this morning was laughably flippant. Little more than "we're monitoring it, might have a little wind and rain, no closures, we'll let you know if anything changes, no big deal."
WHAT?!?!

Oh come on now. Really? If anyone did not take a moment out of their day to check the weather..as has been advised repeatedly, that's on them. This is not a "Big Bad WDW Story". It's just crowds trying to buy food.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
True, and that's pretty.. But we have mango trees.. And these -- View attachment 167415View attachment 167416 View attachment 167417

I'll be honest.. Obviously I love SoFla.. But there is a lot that I love about having different kinds of plants and trees in the Midwest now.
It's all beautiful!!!
I do miss my mangos though!!!

We will send you some. :)

How about these beaches?

gorgeous-beaches.jpg

TP2000

I can have compassion for clueless tourists who haven't been watching the news and who live in non-hurricane areas like Great Britain, Saskatchewan, Michigan, Germany, etc. But I can't muster much compassion for tourists who live in the Southeast or Mid-Atlantic and have ignored the news while they chose to visit Florida during hurricane season.

And at what point does WDW management shut down these shops and restaurants to send the local CM's home to safety and their families and let these clueless tourists fend for themselves and fight over a can of soup?

I would hope by 6:00pm Eastern that all of WDW's facilities were closed, including hotel lobby gift shops, to send the CM's home to safety.

JohnD

Original Poster
I can have compassion for clueless tourists who haven't been watching the news and who live in non-hurricane areas like Great Britain, Saskatchewan, Michigan, Germany, etc. But I can't muster much compassion for tourists who live in the Southeast or Mid-Atlantic and have ignored the news while they chose to visit Florida during hurricane season.

And at what point does WDW management shut down these shops and restaurants to send the local CM's home to safety and their families and let these clueless tourists fend for themselves and fight over a can of soup? I would hope by 6:00pm Eastern that all of WDW's facilities were closed, including hotel lobby gift shops, to send the CM's home to safety.

Give me a break. That would mean no tourists between June 1 and November 30. You remind me of this guy.

mousehockey37

And at what point does WDW management shut down these shops and restaurants to send the local CM's home to safety and their families and let these clueless tourists fend for themselves and fight over a can of soup? I would hope by 6:00pm Eastern that all of WDW's facilities were closed, including hotel lobby gift shops, to send the CM's home to safety.

There will always be "essential staff" that have to stay. Who those people are and what they operate, who knows.

TP2000

Aren't these Disney resort guests AKA tourists? I think they deserve a few more feet of slack than what you're currently affording them. Not sure what else you'd have them do when they're already away from their homes.

Maybe go to Publix 36 hours ago when the civil authorities told them to? Not raid the hotel gift shop a few hours before landfall. See my post above on what tourists I do have genuine compassion for.

But the visual of that sad line in the gift shop was just too much. Not all of those folks are from Manchester, England, I can guarantee you.

21stamps

We will send you some. :)

How about these beaches?

View attachment 167430
The only full time beach I have now is at a lake :( lol

Is that Destin? I have never been there. It's funny because I think I'm the only one in my current city who hasn't. Every time I tell someone that I'm from SoFla they say- "Oh I have a condo in Destin!" ...and then will proceed to ask me if I know of 'such and such place'... And every time I'm like ummm..ok...that's super far away from SoFla so no, unfortunately I never hung out or played golf in Destin.lol

TalkingHead

WHAT?!?!

Oh come on now. Really? If anyone did not take a moment out of their day to check the weather..as has been advised repeatedly, that's on them. This is not a "Big Bad WDW Story". It's just crowds trying to buy food.

The hotel letter that was circulated online this morning was (borderline?) disingenuous.

Neither UOR nor WDW did an effective job notifying on-property guests of what this storm entails. If you sell the fantasy of "come stay in the bubble," you need to be upfront when reality comes crashing through the dome. Waiting until 3:00 PM to admit that (stuff) is about to get serious isn't assisting the guests, many of whom have no conception of what a Cat 4 storm is.

Disney Analyst

So in a case like this of 5 PM shutdowns due to dangerous weather, do they kick everyone out at 5 PM or is it a normal close? Attractions shut down lines at 5 and let those lined up ride? Main Street open for shopping for a while? Or is it, 5 PM, get out of the line, leave the park?

21stamps

And at what point does WDW management shut down these shops and restaurants to send the local CM's home to safety and their families and let these clueless tourists fend for themselves and fight over a can of soup?

I would hope by 6:00pm Eastern that all of WDW's facilities were closed, including hotel lobby gift shops, to send the CM's home to safety.

Wow.

mousehockey37

The hotel letter that was circulated online this morning was (borderline?) disingenuous.

Neither UOR nor WDW did an effective job notifying on-property guests of what this storm entails. If you sell the fantasy of "come stay in the bubble," you need to be upfront when reality comes crashing through the dome. Waiting until 3:00 PM to admit that (stuff) is about to get serious isn't assisting the guests, many of whom have no conception of what a Cat 4 storm is.

With the push for using cell phones for everything, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to put an overall alert on the MDE app... Sure, it wouldn't affect me here at home, but for people that are in WDW, they'd be getting this alert.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom