Hurricane Matthew

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Oh.. Sorry. I'll take all of the Hurricanes and storms in SoFla over living in Tampa any day!! At least you came to your senses and moved to the best part of Florida ;)

Sorry, but NW Florida is the best part of the state. Hills, trees, the best beaches - I'd take St. George or PCB/Destin over Rocky Point any day. South Florida, both coasts , is too flat, too much concrete and devoid of any trees.

21stamps

Yeah, people don't realize that. It's a good 7 hour drive from Dade County to the state capital. Now imagine that drive with thousands of other South Florida residents fleeing. Which is why the interstates become one way roads away from affected areas. If we had a storm the magnitude of Matthew heading for Tallahassee, I'd be more than just worried. I'd seriously consider evacuating. And I'm about 30 miles from the Gulf.
That's the risky part. If someone in SoFla chose to drive north today then they would be totally screwed. It's happened before. The airports closed early today and Rick Scott advised everyone to head west.. Not north. It's not that far of a stretch from the Atlantic to the gulf in that part of FL.. So now you have the same problems going west...in a much smaller area.

Not making excuses, just explaining why so many people stay. The only mandatory Evacs are the barrier islands. I am furious that people still remain there.. So we'll see what happens. I'm banking on the thoughts that the buildings will hold up.

rickdrat

When do you guys think it would be okay to drive in to Florida after this hits? Do you think the evacuation traffic would be cleared up going back to Florida by Sunday?
While the long range forecast isn't written in stone yet, bear in mind that Matthew may loop back around and knock down whatever is left standing by Tuesday night, although it should be a weaker system. Just something to keep in mind.

21stamps

Sorry, but NW Florida is the best part of the state. Hills, trees, the best beaches - I'd take St. George or PCB/Destin over Rocky Point any day. South Florida, both coasts , is too flat, too much concrete and devoid of any trees.
No!!! We have BEAUTIFUL plants and trees and animals!! That's actually why I hate Tampa so much. I was there on business having to stay mon-fri for about 6 weeks and was miserable. No iguanas, no hibiscus, no banyan trees...

LAKid53

Premium Member
That's the risky part. If someone in SoFla chose to drive north today then they would be totally screwed. It's happened before. The airports closed early today and Rick Scott advised everyone to head west.. Not north. It's not that far of a stretch from the Atlantic to the gulf in that part of FL.. So now you have the same problems going west...in a much smaller area.

Not making excuses, just explaining why so many people stay. The only mandatory Evacs are the barrier islands. I am furious that people still remain there.. So we'll see what happens. I'm banking on the thoughts that the buildings will hold up.

And before @wdw1982 jumps in and repeats "buildings are safe, codes improved after Wilma", I will remind him...and everyone else...that not all buildings in Florida were either constructed or renovated after Andrew and Wilma....

R W B

I'm going to share a few text messages that I've been exchanging with 2 of my SoFla peeps.. This is the first hurricane that I am not in Florida for.. And I'm freaking out more than they are.

Anyway, 1 lives on a barrier island, in a mandatory evac zone, and still has not left. Several have gone to hotels.. And 1 lives east of 95 but west of US 1 so not mandatory evac.
They are in Palm Beach County. Just thought this is kind of funny the comparison of locals and tourist attitudes towards a storm..lol. View attachment 167206 View attachment 167209

The other one is a little more anxious..View attachment 167207
Your first friend sounds like me, I've been through many hurricanes including Katrina and while I do agree getting prepared is great but i'll be here when you get back from evacuating.

mikeh

LAKid53

Premium Member
No!!! We have BEAUTIFUL plants and trees and animals!! That's actually why I hate Tampa so much. I was there on business having to stay mon-fri for about 6 weeks and was miserable. No iguanas, no hibiscus, no banyan trees...

Sorry, but much prettier in my neck of the woods. We have animals - deer, fox, raccoons, possums, bears, coyotes, armadillos, etc. I have an hibiscus bush in my front garden. We also have palm trees. And lizards.

DManRightHere

Let's say your trip is booked for Fri-Monday and have 4 day park hoppers. Will Disney reimburse people for the days lost on their tickets? I just got back from a stay at AoA and there is nothing to do in those rooms and it's not like there's enough indoor space for them to actually hold good activities. I can't imagine how miserable this must be for people stuck there.

Not really sure...I would think Disney would give them new tickets for the remaining days. That would be better than getting a refund for the extra days.

I think it would be fun. I'd like to see mother natures fury, I just hope all is safe.

21stamps

And before @wdw1982 jumps in and repeats "buildings are safe, codes improved after Wilma", I will remind him...and everyone else...that not all buildings in Florida were either constructed or renovated after Andrew and Wilma....
No, but a lot were. And a lot have been built since then.

My building held up in Wilma, I wasn't scared and watched it come in from behind the glass. We stayed outside (on balcony) as long as we could.. It was crazy to witness. There is a HUGE difference between Wilma and Matthew though.. That is why I am so angry at and scared for my friend in PBI. The rest of my friends and fam I understand why they stayed. People want to assess the damage immediately after.

Edit- I should have said that I wasn't scared of the storm. I was scared once it was over and had to deal with the aftermath.

Last edited:

21stamps

Sorry, but much prettier in my neck of the woods. We have animals - deer, fox, raccoons, possums, bears, coyotes, armadillos, etc. I have an hibiscus bush in my front garden. We also have palm trees. And lizards.
But you don't have iguanas!lol.
We had Key Deer on one of the Florida Keys, so that counts as deer in SoFla ;). I am very glad that we didn't have coyotes. I have them where I live now. I bought an air horn thing that I bring outside in morning and evening with my dog. He's a 4lb Maltese.. I'm in constant fear of a coyote grabbing him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom