Rude guests (rant sorry)

rkelly42

Was at Epcot today and noticed a few groups of intoxicated and vulgar 20 something's. Not to mention one person who vomited in the middle of the walkway. This is the type of behavior I love my kids around. It is about time disney starts clamping down on the over the top intoxicated people. Scary thing is, is that I am sure some of these people will be getting behind a wheel tonight.

Scrungo

Was at Epcot today and noticed a few groups of intoxicated and vulgar 20 something's. Not to mention one person who vomited in the middle of the walkway. This is the type of behavior I love my kids around. It is about time disney starts clamping down on the over the top intoxicated people. Scary thing is, is that I am sure some of these people will be getting behind a wheel tonight.
Wow, I was actually at Epcot today too and the amount of these groups and their behavior was astonishing. My friend and I, even being in our 20s, were just disgusted and fed up with all of it. I love Epcot but I hate how it gets reduced to just being a bar crawl because of the drinking culture.

I guess what's even worse was how culturally insensitive all these people were and how rude these types of people were being to the cast members of the World Showcase. However, I guess I shouldn't have thought so highly of people whose main goal at Epcot is to get wasted.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

I was at six flags last weekend just me and my buddy- and two senior high school girls were moving their way up to the front to see their "friend". Well- on Fridays at six flags, they have busses of schools coming in for end of year trips- this was one of those occasions. You let one in, you'd let 50 in as they all have phones.
Me and my buddy stood side by side and blocked the way- when she said "excuse us- were trying to get to our friends", I turned to her and said "no speak English" then proceeded to talk to my friend in perfect English the rest of the 20 mins we waited. They stayed behind us and never said a word, just profusely texting.
We had a nice laugh afterwards.

I've been known to tell these teens, "Well, if they were really your friend, they would wait for you....."

Aqueeta

Does anyone ever ask themselves how some of these uncouth patrons can afford a $4,000 to $10,000 Disney vacation? All I have to say is that if this country ever moves away from the instant payout that occurs each tax season, Disney is going to be in trouble (and we will start to enjoy our vacations again).

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The more of these I read the more I think what a bunch of stuck up, anally retentive, judgemental prigs many are. Oh the humanity someone's been drinking alcohol, lets pray for their salvation. Spare us your bigotry and prejudices. A lot of sanctimonious nonsense in the guise of faux outrage and moral superiority.

SoManyWasps

Does anyone ever ask themselves how some of these uncouth patrons can afford a $4,000 to $10,000 Disney vacation? All I have to say is that if this country ever moves away from the instant payout that occurs each tax season, Disney is going to be in trouble (and we will start to enjoy our vacations again).

The ability to afford luxury goods is no longer an indication of class in the United States, despite a widening income gap. Realistically, a Disney vacation is well within the financial reach of at least 60% of the country (and no, this isn't an endorsement of the recent "less for more" model that they seem to be operating under). In my experience, the people who scrimp and save to get their vacations (or, anything really) are the more pleasant to be around. This goes for pretty much any customer service setting. The two biggest problems WDW has right now in terms of customer behavior are the culture shock crowd (people who come from places which don't have established cultural norms when it comes to behavior at places like theme parks) and the privilege crowd (people who don't view a Disney vacation as something earned, but something endowed upon them by their upbringing and upstanding financial status).

Also I don't know what you mean by "instant payout." There's nothing wrong with increasing your tax withholding to guarantee a return come April. In many cases it's a financially prudent decision.

The Hatbox Ghost

I just returned from the world and there were a few rude adults and teens last week but I think that's to be expected to some degree wherever you have large crowds. We can't control the behavior of others, but we can certainly choose to make them aware of how their actions affect us.

For example, we had a mom in line behind us at PotC who kept stepping on the heels of our shoes bumping into us, over and over again and the first few times we just looked back at her and she just smiled. She did it again so finally I turned all the way around and said (with a smile) "You must really like our shoes!" She understood and it stopped. We also experienced two 'line jumpers' on different rides but both were dads who got left behind parking the stroller. Sure, the family should have waited for dad and then got inline. But we saw no need to deny them access in front of us because to us it was clear that they meant no ill will. And if the guests in line ahead of us disagreed then they could have chosen to say 'No you can't get in front of me.'

Yes some folks were cranky some teens awfully loud and some kids ran into us and some others smelled of BO and poo like they hadn't bathed in days. But that's an expectation I have when I'm out in any large crowd.

aw14

I will chime in as well. I agree that it is the minority of guests that behave in this manner. However, that does not alter the nuisance it can create if you allow it to.

Typically, between my DW (@awheartsdw ) we don't let it get to us. If it is of an extreme nature, then we will say something and make sure that the folks in the wrong are made aware of their transgressions, etc...

Most importantly, is remember where you are. A bad day at WDW is better than the best day anywhere else :)

awheartsdw

During one of our trips this past summer we were waiting at The Polynesian for the Magical Express to bring us back to the airport, there was a family next to us on another bench sitting with their 2 late-teenage daughters. The mother placed some trash on the ground in front of the bench-a cup filled with some food she didn't feel like eating anymore and her empty soda can. When the bus pulled up, she got up and grabbed her bags and started to make her way towards the bus, leaving her trash behind. When we are in Disney we treat everything, from the grounds to the parks to the resorts, with the utmost respect, many times "treating" Disney better than we would treat our own home. Yes of course we often dash out of the house with a bowl or a glass in the sink-but I would never imagine blatantly leaving behind my garbage when there is a trash receptacle every few feet in Disney, let alone imagine having someone else clean up after something that I can take care of myself. I quickly bolted from the bench, grabbed her trash right in front of her, swooped it up and walked it the can and threw it away saying loud enough for her 2 teenage daughters, husband and other guests waiting to board the bus to hear, in my snarkiest tone, "It looked like you left something behind as you got up from the bench to get on the bus, since it was obvious you didn't need it, I took the liberty to throw it away for you. You're welcome." Her daughters looked horrified and she did nothing more than to stand there and look utterly unaffected. Perhaps my reaction was more for myself than to teach her a lesson-since she didn't respond, but I'm not going to let you get away with disrespecting something and some place that isn't yours. If you wish to live like a slob at home, be my guest, but when you're outside of your home, you behave in a way that doesn't make you look like the trash you left behind.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The ability to afford luxury goods is no longer an indication of class in the United States, despite a widening income gap. Realistically, a Disney vacation is well within the financial reach of at least 60% of the country (and no, this isn't an endorsement of the recent "less for more" model that they seem to be operating under). In my experience, the people who scrimp and save to get their vacations (or, anything really) are the more pleasant to be around. This goes for pretty much any customer service setting. The two biggest problems WDW has right now in terms of customer behavior are the culture shock crowd (people who come from places which don't have established cultural norms when it comes to behavior at places like theme parks) and the privilege crowd (people who don't view a Disney vacation as something earned, but something endowed upon them by their upbringing and upstanding financial status).

Also I don't know what you mean by "instant payout." There's nothing wrong with increasing your tax withholding to guarantee a return come April. In many cases it's a financially prudent decision.

Uh, no, not a financially prudent decision. Why? Because the government is keeping your overpayment, earning interest on it and refunding you some of the overpayment, minus the interest earned. The PRUDENT financial decision is to determine the proper withholding so that you don't owe them... and they don't owe you. And take the difference between over withholding and the appropriate amount and invest it yourself. So says someone with a degree in finance who retired after 20+ years in the business.

graphite1326

My last visit wasn't too bad, but as society loses class a bad experience or two in a crowd is to be expected. Aside from a whiny brat or two the children behaved as expected. However, I did encounter a few grown adults behave in the fullest extent of douchbaggery. I was mortified that people could be so inconsiderate at the happiest place on Earth. We all get hot, we all get tired. Buck up and get over it. Other than that there is still a lot of decency to be found at WDW that you don't seem to find anywhere else. Theme parks like Cedar Point however have a huge amount of buttholes per square foot.
Is douchbaggery really a word?

Lucky

Are you serious? This country is full of uncouth wealthy people. Do you ever turn on the TV, or open a newspaper, or look at any internet sites besides this one? Or maybe your complaint is just about uncouth people who look a certain way.

Pixie VaVoom

Uh, no, not a financially prudent decision. Why? Because the government is keeping your overpayment, earning interest on it and refunding you some of the overpayment, minus the interest earned. The PRUDENT financial decision is to determine the proper withholding so that you don't owe them... and they don't owe you. And take the difference between over withholding and the appropriate amount and invest it yourself. So says someone with a degree in finance who retired after 20+ years in the business.

Yup !! This - absolutely !!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Are you serious? This country is full of uncouth wealthy people. Do you ever turn on the TV, or open a newspaper, or look at any internet sites besides this one? Or maybe your complaint is just about uncouth people who look a certain way.

uncouth AND wealthy...for me, that is the dream!

Pixie VaVoom

I just plumb hate when fowlkes just ain't got no couth !!

rkelly42

I will chime in as well. I agree that it is the minority of guests that behave in this manner. However, that does not alter the nuisance it can create if you allow it to.

Typically, between my DW (@awheartsdw ) we don't let it get to us. If it is of an extreme nature, then we will say something and make sure that the folks in the wrong are made aware of their transgressions, etc...

Most importantly, is remember where you are. A bad day at WDW is better than the best day anywhere else :)
We never would have a bad day because of the behavior of a few, I just find the behavior atrocious when there are children around. If it was an adults 21+ park that would be one thing, also if they are not using transportation other than their own, that is just plain stupid. I have seen the results of those accidents way to many times, it's not worth it.

Shaden

I agree that there is a certain amount of personal choice in how much you let others affect you, but only a certain amount. At some point they have an impact on you and your trip no matter what you do/think/say etc. And I agree you need to speak truth to people who are over the top, good on you for that.

The latter point is one of my pet peeves. I love WDW as much as the next fan, however I can't stand this statement. A bad day at WDW is a bad day, a good day in my backyard is a good day. I would rather the good day in my backyard than a bad day at Disney. I also dislike it because, well, I am paying to be at WDW. If I am having a bad day (not due to myself) at WDW, while I am paying for it, that's a major problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom