A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

culturenthrills

I did watch bits and pieces of subsequent episodes randomly later in the season, it did get better from what I saw. The problem is, once you lose people, they don't come back.

It'd be nice for Disney to do a real Muppets show now, the one people really wanted to see. Probably won't happen, but it'd be nice. Maybe Netflix...
The show got better as it went along. It seems ABC decided to blow up most of their schedule. I am betting though their replacement won't do as well as the show did. I think ABC is gonna have a hard time getting back up in the ratings.

Progress.City

I agree, the security comments in your original posts were not meant to be the main topic of this thread and you made that clear. The money MIS-spent on NGE when the money should have gone elsewhere is noted. Anyone have the Israili Security Budget for an area the size of WDW handy?
I just came back from that country after spending seven months there. They have metal detectors everywhere. You have to pass through them before entering shopping malls and central bus stations. Disney could definitely learn a thing or two from them.

jme

Goodbye Muppets land, hello Star Wars 2.0 over at. DHS

Nah, people making the decisions to keep Muppets (and maybe expand it slightly with Pizza Planet/Mama Melrose) had to also be aware that the very same company they work for was not going to keep the show going.

Donaldfan1934

Nah, people making the decisions to keep Muppets (and maybe expand it slightly with Pizza Planet/Mama Melrose) had to also be aware that the very same company they work for was not going to keep the show going.
Maybe a month or two ago after the season (really series) finale, but not before the 2nd half of the season started airing back in the beginning of February.

WDW1974

Original Poster
ABC announced cancellations earlier today ... no huge surprises. Muppets reboot wasn't given a chance. Agent Carter wasn't going to make it no matter how much Bob Iger loves his Marvel IP buy. Castle was old and pricey (didn't stop CBS from giving Criminal Minds, co-made by ABC studios, a 12th season pickup). Nashville, which is highly acclaimed and performs well overseas, was a minor surprise. ... Sorry to see Galavant go, but it never should have gotten a second season (don't know why fanbois didn't jump on it with some great Menken music).

BTW, very sad to see the way CBS is treating the woefully underrated Person of Interest by burning off its final 13 episodes over six weeks of May and June. A bit surprised that J.J. Abrams and his Bad Robot didn't try and get ABC to pick it up considering how well it had done over the years, his personal love for the show and the fact that Disney sorta owes him a bit for that 'wittle film he made for them.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/castle-canceled-abc-8-seasons-1201750347/

WDW1974

Original Poster
Was talking to a good friend earlier tonight and the subject of Shanghai Disneyland came up. We went back and forth and came to the same conclusion: that SDL, despite all the glowing praise for its attraction menu, really doesn't have more to do than HKDL does (now).

And that was counting all three Toy Story Land attractions essentially as one.

I get that this is the first Disney castle park opening of the social media era. Indeed, some people weren't even online at all in the leadup to HKDL's 2005 debut. So, it is no surprise that every photo, every piece of video is being dissected like no park has prior. And it does make me wonder about that kid in the Vegas desert Tweeting 31 hours a day about nothing but SDL. Probably not being paid by Disney directly ... directly.

The fact remain that while much of SDL looks very well done, which shouldn't be shocking considering the time, expense and Bob Weis at the helm, the capacity of this park still looks woefully under what it should be. The people-eaters are not present beyond Pirates.

Anyway, on the subject of Disney and China, HKDL is about to have a summer of Star Wars with the Hyperspace Mountain overlay coming as well as a Chewbacca/Rebel Alliance takeover of the Stitch Encounter and a Jedi Training Academy type show/experience. Whether this helps draw people in until IME opens remains to be seen.

ThemeParkJunkee

ABC announced cancellations earlier today ... no huge surprises. Muppets reboot wasn't given a chance. Agent Carter wasn't going to make it no matter how much Bob Iger loves his Marvel IP buy. Castle was old and pricey (didn't stop CBS from giving Criminal Minds, co-made by ABC studios, a 12th season pickup). Nashville, which is highly acclaimed and performs well overseas, was a minor surprise. ... Sorry to see Galavant go, but it never should have gotten a second season (don't know why fanbois didn't jump on it with some great Menken music).

BTW, very sad to see the way CBS is treating the woefully underrated Person of Interest by burning off its final 13 episodes over six weeks of May and June. A bit surprised that J.J. Abrams and his Bad Robot didn't try and get ABC to pick it up considering how well it had done over the years, his personal love for the show and the fact that Disney sorta owes him a bit for that 'wittle film he made for them.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/castle-canceled-abc-8-seasons-1201750347/

My hubby and I are watching the "wrap up" of "Person of Interest" with deep disappointment.

ABC is not the primary network I watch since the cable channels have such quality offerings. I still watch "Once Upon A Time" but it has become increasingly meh. My reasons for watching with my now husband was primarily to get him to watch the Disney animated features the characters were based on. It worked.

Can't say I'm surprised on the other cancellations.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974
I know you didn't want to discuss WDW Box Office, but what about Video Games...
Any comments on the cancellation of the Disney Infinity line of games (and the complete closure of Avalanche Studios, who made them)?
For those unaware, only 2 figure sets in the pipeline will be released before you see nothing from this line again.

I generally don't comment much on gaming because it is a business I am not very into and, therefore, don't have the requisite knowledge needed.

I can't say I am surprised. In the time since Robert A. Iger took over as head of Disney the company has bought about six different gaming companies, lost money, jumped out and cost hundreds of people their jobs.

I know the fanbois loved Infinity and I liked the look of it. It also seemed to play into that demo (20 and 30 something fanbois with plenty of mommy and daddy's money to burn) by requiring the buying of all those figurines/game pieces.

But it is so funny this happened now and you ask because when I was at Property Control a few days ago and saw they were selling loads of them (including Frozen characters) I knew it wasn't long for the world.

Honestly, at this point, Disney needs to simply concede the business until a new CEO comes in because Bob has proven totally inept here. And this isn't a must be in business ... Disney can license and let others create.

WDW1974

Original Poster
From the Not Getting it Department:

WDW keeps showing me banner ads offering me rooms at the A-SS for $96 a night plus tax as a FL resident.

UNI keeps showing me banner ads offering me suites at Cabana Bay for $119 a night plus tax and rooms at the new Sapphire Falls Resort for $159 plus tax.

At some point, there will be no rooms left Disney can turn to timeshare and TDO will have to wake up to the fact that O-Town isn't a market that can sustain hotels that charge $400-1,000 a night for standard rooms.

Also, took a drive out to The Dead Zone Known as Flamingo Crossings to see the lovely twin Marriott suite properties. Almost no cars there whatsoever. Feels like it is 65 miles away from WDW. Oh, and if you haven't heard Disney can't lease the land as hoped so they want to rezone to build cheap homes and apartments. Yup, Walt's Dream of having enough land for ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Isn't it a structural thing that will only get fixed with a new mountain/ride to hang him on???? He's too heavy and the whole this is unbalanced? Or is that just another rumor too?

I really don't know. I have hoped to run into Joe Rohde and ask, but it hasn't happened. @Lee once said it had to do with proper lubing ... and I am firm believer in the power of proper lubrication for maximum effect.

HauntedMansionFLA

Yup. Other properties will be coming. But I didn't specify which ones because I am not 100% sure.

And I was serious about Olaf. Can't wait to see him in the new production.
There is some crazy rumor going around that Big Thunder Mountain at DLR is going to be re themed to Frozen. Who knows! I would say people are crazy when bringing up GotG being re themed the ToT but ya know :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom