A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

WildcatDen

Awww..... Don't be like that. I just don't think you're that funny, but I'm sure we can be friends. I'll tell you what; you yell downstairs to have your mom pop in a fresh batch of cookies. Then I'll come over to listen to you recite your favorite Andrew Dice Clay "poetry".
Well, my mom passed away last month, so that may be difficult, but thanks for the comment. She did make wonderful cookies.

WildcatDen

Sorry to hear that.
Thanks but I do not need your false sympathy. You made a comment trying to make fun of my age (late 40s by the way, married for 24 years with a kid in College and another finishing up her junior year in High School). In making the comment, you inadvertently dumped on my recently passed mother. I do try and make light of many comments on here for the simple fact that there are a lot of posters who take this WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. I appreciate what Steve has put together here at "Magic" but I think it is time I pulled back and left the site. My mother sacrificed much for me to get through college, becoming the first in my family to earn a college degree. If Serpico has something to say, I may drop it somewhere.

CJR

It was poorly written. I had zero desire to continue watching it past the first episode

I did watch bits and pieces of subsequent episodes randomly later in the season, it did get better from what I saw. The problem is, once you lose people, they don't come back.

It'd be nice for Disney to do a real Muppets show now, the one people really wanted to see. Probably won't happen, but it'd be nice. Maybe Netflix...

BlueSkyDriveBy

We all have our, ahem, guilty pleasures. This show was mine. Never missed an episode. Bill Prady's humor was all over it. Rizzo and Pepe? Muppet versions of Howard and Raj. Loved it from the start.

Does that make me a loser? Possibly. I also liked Flash Forward and Red Band Society. Dropped after their debut season as well. So yeah... I tend to favor the outcasts.

Then again... love me some Jane Lynch, but couldn't stand Angel From Hell. So perhaps there's hope for me after all. :cool:

PhotoDave219

I did watch bits and pieces of subsequent episodes randomly later in the season, it did get better from what I saw. The problem is, once you lose people, they don't come back.

It'd be nice for Disney to do a real Muppets show now, the one people really wanted to see. Probably won't happen, but it'd be nice. Maybe Netflix...

Netflix or cable is where it belongs.

Perhaps Agent Carter, Agents of Shield will both end up there.

Is that the future of TV? Direct to cable or Netflix?

ProfSavage

Netflix or cable is where it belongs.

Perhaps Agent Carter, Agents of Shield will both end up there.

Is that the future of TV? Direct to cable or Netflix?

Perhaps. Look at some of the Netflix exclusive series there are and how popular they are (House of Cards, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Orange is the New Black, the two good Marvel shows there). Hulu and Amazon prime are getting in on it. Man in the High Castle was fantastic (but I am a big fan of the book, so...) and that Hulu series with James Franco going back in time to stop the JFK assassination looked good (but I don't have Hulu)

Even CBS is getting in-on On Demand exclusivity and the new Trek series will be on their On Demand streaming service first.

I think if Disney, with its plethora of IP companies under it were smart, they would continue Netflix exclusive contact much like they have with Daredevil and Jessica Jones and the other series they've hinted at. I could see a Star Wars series, Pixar series, or even new and unique IPs explored using the streaming services.

Also, I think people are demanding higher quality tv again after the doldrums and the bad reality stuff that clogged the airwaves at the turn of the century and early aughts. I think BSG and The Shield paved the way for cable networks, and then the streaming services. to provide well written, character driven stories that weren't soaps.

And let's face it - most of network tv is crap. I wanted to like Once Upon a Time. I tried. But I couldn't get through it. Mad Men and Game of Thrones ruined me. I don't even know what's on network tv anymore. Haven't watched any network in years and I turned off cable news (finally) this election cycle.

Even Archer, for all purposes should be a goofy animated series about a spy and could be awful if not done "right", is very well written and a lot more high brow with its jokes and references than something like Family Guy or American Dad! are. And it's extremely popular. I'm a big fan.

tl;dr - yes. Yes it is, Dave. At least I think it is. It's a new Golden Age of television and has been for a few years.

Last edited:

tirian

Most of those who I have seen take issue with blaming Shanghai Disney Resort, including myself, are not denying the cuts or defending them. That project is the current excuse, the true problem is the whole model where such cuts are the only and immediate response.
I agree with you. However, I've seen some tweets and comments defending the cuts, with people trotting out the old "Disney is a business" line.

Mike S

I agree with you. However, I've seen some tweets and comments defending the cuts, with people trotting out the old "Disney is a business" line.
image.jpeg

Progress.City

I have returned from a recent visit to O-Town where I hit up all four WDW parks and both UNI parks and, naturally, I have things to say ... and a bit of news as well.

I hesitated starting this one because well ... we've been down this road before. And some people will come here looking for news on an amazing new Marvel coaster for EPCOT that hasn't been announced yet and be disappointed (don't be, my friends and online stalkers, as there is one coming ... to Shanghai! Guess no one has announced that yet. Maybe it will be borrowed to go along with my GotG Tower tale.) to find me talking about why I don't really care how well Disney is doing at the box office or why US fanbois who are too afraid to visit China really should tone down the drool over SDL (yeah, they got Pirates right ... but nothing else in that park comes close to it).

I also don't get hot and bothered by refurbed/rebranded malls and their infrastructure.

And do you really want to know why security was beefed up? Why are you going through those scanners and security theater (to be fair, this week it is all real ... that's what the Invictus Games, Mrs. Obama and Prince UKer -- I think that's @marni1971 -- will do)? You don't expect a Lifestyler to talk about direct threats on the MK do you? You think you'll get free cupcake party invites by talking about bad people wanting to do bad things at WDW? Nope.

Well, I won't either, I'll just let you connect the dots. I'll just tell you that people are VERY concerned and that I have never seen so much security and that includes during Ronald Reagan's second inaugural, 12/31/99 and post 9/11. There is unheard of security at WDW, made much easier by some of those 'residents' of Golden Oak.

So, why don't we start by talking about those Wall Street results. No, not directly. @PhotoDave219 has that covered in the quarterly earnings thread ... but why don't we talk about what WDW is like right now? Got a drink handy? An adult one? A non-Disney adult one (you know because a tablespoon of alcohol for $12 just doesn't cut it with people not addicted to Pixie Dust and the BRAND).

Let's chat some.
Why not chat about what's happening down the street? Big developments recently. Comcast acquiring 480 acres for USO in the convention center area, and, more recently, the acquisition of DreamWorks Anination by Comcast for Universal-NBC for $4 billion. Before that, DreamWorks Studios announced a distribution deal with Uni, ending the one they had in place with Disney. A little birdie told me these acquisitions are but the beginning of a very aggressive plan Comcast has to upset the mouse. Your take?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom