Disney After Hours Event

gdrj

I think it's the "who gets harmed along the way" part that makes this a grey area. Is anyone really hurt by having these events? If someone wants to pay $150 for 3 hours at MK more power to them. Same as paying $200 for the HM box thing. I might not think its a great way to spend my money, but it's a free country.

"who gets harmed..." I understand what you are saying. I would say that regular day guests could be harmed. Instead of the park being open to midnight, the park closes and hour earlier to accommodate the 3 hour event. Some might argue it is only an hour, but I would counter that at the end of a regulary scheduled evening that last hour from 11 to 12 can really be a great time to get on rides.

By closing an hour earlier there are more people in the park. plus the additional special event guests. For us that end of evening time really can have impact.

Baloo62

They're providing a service in the form of this new event, and charging for it. How is this any more "greedy" than charging what they charge for t-shirts, stuffed toys, bottles of water, admission in general, parking, etc.
It's not. It's equally reprehensible. No different than a contractor charging more for work after the ravages of a storm or a mechanic charging more for repairs to a gullible senior citizen. It's taking advantage of someone. Whether or not I can afford to pay a grossly inflated asking price does not change the fact that I was fleeced. And even if I do so willingly, does that make it morally right? Trust me, if Disney thought they could maintain the current numbers and charge $1500 a head while actually offering LESS to the customer, they would damn sure do it. Just like the unscrupulous roofer and mechanic. But I'll refrain from using the term "corporate greed" and just call Disney suits what they are...a bunch of low-life scumbags. Give 'em hell, Karma!

gdrj

Corporate Greed !?! I would say greed or maximizing revenue is obviously a strong motivator of some of the nickel and dime"ing" we are seeing . But if what Disney is doing doesn't meet the definition of corporate greed how about we use a different term. How about the impact is has on the company and its "corporate reputation". In an article that I will link (don't want to not give credit), one part of the article states

" Although reputation is an intangible concept, research universally shows that a good reputation demonstrably increases corporate worth and provides sustained competitive advantage. A business can achieve its objectives more easily if it has a good reputation among its stakeholders, especially key stakeholders such as its largest customers, opinion leaders in the business community, suppliers and current and potential employees." the article is at this address: http://www.cuttingedgepr.com/articles/corprep_important.asp I believe there is real damage being done to the brand due to decisions being made. Call it what you want, we can argue over it is greed or not, but from the outside it looks like short-term (and short thinking) goals are not good for the company or its stakeholders

Wendy Pleakley

"who gets harmed..." I understand what you are saying. I would say that regular day guests could be harmed. Instead of the park being open to midnight, the park closes and hour earlier to accommodate the 3 hour event. Some might argue it is only an hour, but I would counter that at the end of a regulary scheduled evening that last hour from 11 to 12 can really be a great time to get on rides.

By closing an hour earlier there are more people in the park. plus the additional special event guests. For us that end of evening time really can have impact.

Valid point, and with the addition of the morning "Extra Money Hours" those quiet times in the theme parks will get harder and harder to find. This post is giving a reason for disliking the event, which is what I'm saying people should do, rather than just repeat the word "greed" like a parrot, and not making any other point.

It's not. It's equally reprehensible. No different than a contractor charging more for work after the ravages of a storm or a mechanic charging more for repairs to a gullible senior citizen. It's taking advantage of someone. Whether or not I can afford to pay a grossly inflated asking price does not change the fact that I was fleeced. And even if I do so willingly, does that make it morally right? Trust me, if Disney thought they could maintain the current numbers and charge $1500 a head while actually offering LESS to the customer, they would damn sure do it. Just like the unscrupulous roofer and mechanic. But I'll refrain from using the term "corporate greed" and just call Disney suits what they are...a bunch of low-life scumbags. Give 'em hell, Karma!

Right, the price tag for this event seems excessive, but what at WDW isn't? It's interesting that so many who willingly pay for the Disney experience see this event as the last straw.

I'm not convinced anyone is being taken advantage of. At the end of the day, no one is forced to go to WDW. Overcharging for food when there isn't an option to go outside the parks could fit the bill of "taking advantage", but not anything else that I can think of.

What's the alternative though? Disney keeps raising prices and adding upcharge experiences, and the place is still packed.

Corporate Greed !?! I would say greed or maximizing revenue is obviously a strong motivator of some of the nickel and dime"ing" we are seeing . But if what Disney is doing doesn't meet the definition of corporate greed how about we use a different term. How about the impact is has on the company and its "corporate reputation". In an article that I will link (don't want to not give credit), one part of the article states

" Although reputation is an intangible concept, research universally shows that a good reputation demonstrably increases corporate worth and provides sustained competitive advantage. A business can achieve its objectives more easily if it has a good reputation among its stakeholders, especially key stakeholders such as its largest customers, opinion leaders in the business community, suppliers and current and potential employees." the article is at this address: http://www.cuttingedgepr.com/articles/corprep_important.asp I believe there is real damage being done to the brand due to decisions being made. Call it what you want, we can argue over it is greed or not, but from the outside it looks like short-term (and short thinking) goals are not good for the company or its stakeholders

I don't love the use of the word greed in these discussions, but as I've said it's not so much that people argue that Disney is greedy, it's that they don't give any substantive reasons for their anger other than to throw that one word around.

I think you're right about the increasing emphasis on these extra cost events potentially damaging the brand. To a point, I don't mind people paying for extras, but I don't like the feeling that enjoying the parks will require spending extra.

I shouldn't have to pay out the nose to get a good fireworks viewing spot. I'd love to stay in the MK late - it's one thing if the hours are short because it's the off season, but when I see them opening late for a chosen few I'm going to feel bitter that I'm being sent home. Perception matters.

draybook

And, if you look at this from a worker perspective, someone has to work those hours. Those are hours where CMs might not have had an opportunity to be getting paid had Disney not offered longer park hours for an extra price. Because, as we have seen thus far, those extended hours did not require cuts to normal park hours - they were incremental.

Not that I expect any logic or facts to change certain negative feelings... (not talking about you, Goof)

Yeah, and after taxes and what not, those extra 19 bucks will make a huge difference......

raven

Supply and Demand

After all Disney is a business.
Well...I guess the numbers show there wasn't much "demand" for this kind of event, eh?

Even at 50% off it's still only 1/3 of the parks attractions that are open, extremely limited F&B places available, no entertainment or even a pin available for the event yet they are still charging the same price as one of their Halloween or Christmas parties.

They sure didn't "supply" much on their end. :rolleyes:

asianway

I think it's the "who gets harmed along the way" part that makes this a grey area. Is anyone really hurt by having these events? If someone wants to pay $150 for 3 hours at MK more power to them. Same as paying $200 for the HM box thing. I might not think its a great way to spend my money, but it's a free country.
The loss is that it's a poor concept. If there was special entertainment it would be more of a draw. Lost opportunity all around
Well...I guess the numbers show there wasn't much "demand" for this kind of event, eh?

Even at 50% off it's still only 1/3 of the parks attractions that are open, extremely limited F&B places available, no entertainment or even a pin available for the event yet they are still charging the same price as one of their Halloween or Christmas parties.

They sure didn't "supply" much on their end. :rolleyes:
Most all of the attractions are open

PinnySmart

Oh yeah this will be a major PR success even if it's not. That's why i have a hard time believing even the (round) 1000 "sold" number

Can you imagine if any DVC members paid for this and then found out they could have done it for free? lol
Ok now I'm mad. Stupidly I paid full price for a ticket on Monday for Thursday night's event then Tuesday they announced the 50% discount for AP and DVC. Serves me right for supporting this money grab but it's been a long time since I've felt like I had the MK all to myself. I go a lot but I always seem to miss the slower days. I emailed and asked for the discounted amount to be refunded but I'm not holding my breath. Again it serves me right, you all can go ahead and say it lol. I think since I have an AP and DVC I should get 50% off for each and my ticket should be gratis. Who am I kidding. I feel like Disney really (insert any past tense 4 letter word here) me this time.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Ok now I'm mad. Stupidly I paid full price for a ticket on Monday for Thursday night's event then Tuesday they announced the 50% discount for AP and DVC. Serves me right for supporting this money grab but it's been a long time since I've felt like I had the MK all to myself. I go a lot but I always seem to miss the slower days. I emailed and asked for the discounted amount to be refunded but I'm not holding my breath. Again it serves me right, you all can go ahead and say it lol. I think since I have an AP and DVC I should get 50% off for each and my ticket should be gratis. Who am I kidding. I feel like Disney really (insert any past tense 4 letter word here) me this time.

ouch - that sucks

- meanwhile in the Disney corp exec office... *insert maniacal laugh*

money.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't understand why the term "greed" is used so often.

Disney is not a charity. They charge money for goods and services. They often charge more for what they provide compared to similar companies.

"Greed" seems to be a generic term used to criticize Disney's decisions, but doesn't really mean anything. Why do we have to pay to park hop? Corporate greed! Why do we have to pay more to stay at a deluxe resort? Corporate greed! Why do prices go up? Corporate greed!

This event and the accompanying price tag don't represent "corporate greed" any more than anything else Disney charges for.

No it still has a place and meaning in describing behavior.. even if they are a company.

People aren't against paying for a service... or even a perk. So your park hop analogy is flat because people are willing to pay for it because it represents a value, at at the current prices its not seen as so abnormal.

The use of "greed" comes into play when people feel they are being FLEECED - when the amount being charged feels significantly out of line with the perceived worth or value. Like charging 50-100% more for something which significantly reducing what you get. Or monetizing what was traditionally included with no additional value. Basically just converting opportunity to revenue at the expense of their customer loyalty.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
No it still has a place and meaning in describing behavior.. even if they are a company.

People aren't against paying for a service... or even a perk. So your park hop analogy is flat because people are willing to pay for it because it represents a value, at at the current prices its not seen as so abnormal.

The use of "greed" comes into play when people feel they are being FLEECED - when the amount being charged feels significantly out of line with the perceived worth or value. Like charging 50-100% more for something which significantly reducing what you get. Or monetizing what was traditionally included with no additional value. Basically just converting opportunity to revenue at the expense of their customer loyalty.

Like when airlines decided to start charging for checked bags and to be able to select your seat on the plane

lebeau

The use of "greed" comes into play when people feel they are being FLEECED - when the amount being charged feels significantly out of line with the perceived worth or value. Like charging 50-100% more for something which significantly reducing what you get.

Post of the day. I'd like this twice if I could.

Is there a more tired argument than "Disney is a business?" It's been used to defend every decision the company has ever made. The profit motive is not a license to gouge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom