Disney After Hours Event

matt9112

I don't believe they did any thinking at all.... the only thing that entered their minds were $'s

Hear me out but my rational would be that this is directly tied into cost cutting/revenue generation required to offset China. Basically in normal conditions I think this idea would never get this far but with a loaded gun at your head things change.

Wendy Pleakley

No it still has a place and meaning in describing behavior.. even if they are a company.

People aren't against paying for a service... or even a perk. So your park hop analogy is flat because people are willing to pay for it because it represents a value, at at the current prices its not seen as so abnormal.

The use of "greed" comes into play when people feel they are being FLEECED - when the amount being charged feels significantly out of line with the perceived worth or value. Like charging 50-100% more for something which significantly reducing what you get. Or monetizing what was traditionally included with no additional value. Basically just converting opportunity to revenue at the expense of their customer loyalty.

I agree that charging for previously included options can be bad for the relationship between business and customer. Greed may be the applicable term here, but it loses it's meaning when so many people refer to every decision Disney makes as being "greedy", without backing up the statement with a reason.

Post of the day. I'd like this twice if I could.

Is there a more tired argument than "Disney is a business?" It's been used to defend every decision the company has ever made. The profit motive is not a license to gouge.

I think "Disney is a business" comes up as a response when people have emotional reactions to the decisions Disney makes, and make emotional arguments instead of factual ones.

When we see something like a price increase, driven by supply and demand, people feel Disney shouldn't raise prices because "Disney is for everyone" or "it's not what Walt would have done". At the end of day we have to evaluate their decisions as being business decisions, because that's what Disney is.

It's not a defense of Disney's decisions, but when someone is upset because Disney has done something that "isn't magical", it's necessary to point out the difference between fantasy and reality when it comes to the Magic Kingdom.

natatomic

In all seriousness, the Pirates and Princess parties failed, they cost less than half of this price point and they came with one of the best fireworks shows Disney has ever done. What did they think was going to happen.

Why DID they fail? I attended one and loved it. They have so much success with the Halloween and Christmas parties, I can't imagine it would be hard to sell another party even if it has a non-holiday theme.

Personally, I think if they were to do the P&P parties again today, they'd sell out. Maybe it was just a timing thing?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Greed may be the applicable term here, but it loses it's meaning when so many people refer to every decision Disney makes as being "greedy", without backing up the statement with a reason.

No, it's simply people using short hand... we don't need to elaborate the __common understanding__ every time the topic comes up when it's such a common thing.

We don't need to write out the F=MA equation each time we say 'thats gonna hurt'. We can understand where their train of thought is without them having to lay it out each time.

raven

Why DID they fail? I attended one and loved it. They have so much success with the Halloween and Christmas parties, I can't imagine it would be hard to sell another party even if it has a non-holiday theme.
Both the Halloween and Christmas parties have special parades, stage shows, fireworks, and characters in themed attire. This event doesn't have any of that and (even at 50% off) costs the same as those parties.

lebeau

I think "Disney is a business" comes up as a response when people have emotional reactions to the decisions Disney makes, and make emotional arguments instead of factual ones.

When we see something like a price increase, driven by supply and demand, people feel Disney shouldn't raise prices because "Disney is for everyone" or "it's not what Walt would have done". At the end of day we have to evaluate their decisions as being business decisions, because that's what Disney is.

It's not a defense of Disney's decisions, but when someone is upset because Disney has done something that "isn't magical", it's necessary to point out the difference between fantasy and reality when it comes to the Magic Kingdom.

That may be the intent, but the "Disney is a business" argument is used so often that it has become a get-out-of-jail free card for Disney. Disney raises prices? "Disney is a business". Disney cuts costs? "Disney is a business". Disney takes fives years to build a modest expansion? "Hey, don't you know Disney is a business!"

Yes, we know Disney is a business. That's abundantly clear. They are a highly profitable business and that's a good thing. As a fan, I want success for the company. But "Disney is a business" only goes so far. When they make decisions that alienate their customers in hopes of padding the already healthy bottom-line just a little more so that the spreadsheets will look just a little better and their bonuses will be just a bit fatter, "Disney is a business" no longer applies.

The line has been so over-used and abused that it has become meaningless. Everyone is aware that Disney is a business. When that argument gets trotted out, it's just an attempt to gloss over whatever point is being argued against. It's empty. No one here should ever make that argument again because it no longer carries any weight.

A more effective approach would be to assert that the point you are arguing against is based on emotion rather than fact. If someone is using the "What would Walt do" argument, absolutely you should counter with that. But don't counter the lazy "Walt wouldn't do this" with the equally banal "Disney is a business". They are both tired arguments.

Last edited:

JohnD

I think it's the "who gets harmed along the way" part that makes this a grey area. Is anyone really hurt by having these events? If someone wants to pay $150 for 3 hours at MK more power to them. Same as paying $200 for the HM box thing. I might not think its a great way to spend my money, but it's a free country.

Sure. If the customer want to do it. But look at the other side of the coin. If there isn't enough revenue generated from interested customers (tickets, food, gifts), then WDW is losing money by paying CMs who otherwise wouldn't be there. If there aren't enough potential guests who have sticker shock from seeing $150 (or now $75 for AP holders, etc.), they won't continue a money losing event.

Wendy Pleakley

No, it's simply people using short hand... we don't need to elaborate the __common understanding__ every time the topic comes up when it's such a common thing.

We don't need to write out the F=MA equation each time we say 'thats gonna hurt'. We can understand where their train of thought is without them having to lay it out each time.

It's not effective as short hand when it's a generic term used to criticize any decision that is made.

When the Extra Money Hours event is referred to as greedy, with nothing to back up that claim, it means nothing because the same term is being applied to everything from a $0.25 increase to bottled water prices to potential resort fees.

Kingoglow

And here I was thinking that they would simply double the price to $300 and cut down the available tickets by 50%...
I guess they went the other way. /shrug

Wendy Pleakley

That may be the intent, but the "Disney is a business" argument is used so often that it has become a get-out-of-jail free card for Disney. Disney raises prices? "Disney is a business". Disney cuts costs? "Disney is a business". Disney takes fives years to build a modest expansion? "Hey, don't you know Disney is a business!"

Yes, we know Disney is a business. That's abundantly clear. They are a highly profitable business and that's a good thing. As a fan, I want success for the company. But "Disney is a business" only goes so far. When they make decisions that alienate their customers in hopes of padding the already healthy bottom-line just a little more so that the spreadsheets will look just a little better and their bonuses will be just a bit fatter, "Disney is a business" no longer applies.

The line has been so over-used and abused that it no longer carries any meaning whatsoever. Everyone is aware that Disney is a business. When that argument gets trotted out, it's just an attempt to gloss over whatever point is being argued against. It's empty. No one here should ever make that argument again because it no longer carries any weight.

A more effective approach would be to point out that the point you are arguing against is based on emotion rather than fact. If someone is using the "What would Walt do" argument, absolutely you should counter with that. But don't counter the lazy "Walt wouldn't do this" with the equally banal "Disney is a business". They are both tired arguments.

No argument here really, but I think using the phrase "Disney is a business" is fine as long as there are further points as to why that is being brought up. On it's own, yes it is an empty phrase with minimal relevance.

lebeau

No argument here really, but I think using the phrase "Disney is a business" is fine as long as there are further points as to why that is being brought up. On it's own, yes it is an empty phrase with minimal relevance.

99% of the times I have seen "Disney is a business" used, that is the entire post.

But why use the phrase at all? If you have further points, just make them. "Disney is a business" contributes nothing. It just serves to obscure whatever valid point the poster might have been making.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's not effective as short hand when it's a generic term used to criticize any decision that is made.

When the Extra Money Hours event is referred to as greedy, with nothing to back up that claim, it means nothing because the same term is being applied to everything from a $0.25 increase to bottled water prices to potential resort fees.

Whatever... instead of getting hungup on a pet peeve you might actual try following the poster's point/discussion. Because everyone seems to get the message without seeing them as just lumping everything into a catch-all. Most of us can see the trains of thought that span further than a single post or two.

Witchy Chick

"who gets harmed..." I understand what you are saying. I would say that regular day guests could be harmed. Instead of the park being open to midnight, the park closes and hour earlier to accommodate the 3 hour event. Some might argue it is only an hour, but I would counter that at the end of a regulary scheduled evening that last hour from 11 to 12 can really be a great time to get on rides.

By closing an hour earlier there are more people in the park. plus the additional special event guests. For us that end of evening time really can have impact.

I think also lost in the discussion of "cost" to the consumer (or the "I would never pay for this, so it doesn't affect me") is the opportunity cost of maintenance losing 3 hours (or 4-5 hours, if you also include the Early Morning Hours events) of maintenance window each week. Is that lost maintenance time enough to affect the overall park experience? Perhaps not at first but eventually it will..........and that will affect all of us.

EDIT: to fix quote

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom