Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It is clearly cheaper. However, they are willing to spend money if there is a new/popular IP in ye olde portfolio. I guess they don't realize that over the years something like ToT is essentially an IP. Beloved theme park attractions have their own value.

I think marketing/merchandise does know this. Look at all the sweet attraction gear they have been putting out lately. They love to take advantage of beloved attractions and lands. It would be nice if the rest of the company took notice.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think marketing/merchandise does know this. Look at all the sweet attraction gear they have been putting out lately. They love to take advantage of beloved attractions and lands. It would be nice if the rest of the company took notice.
The problem is the suits like Iger NEVER VISIT THE PARK except as a photo op. One reason MDE was able to successfully enhance the parks was he visited them in as a low level CM wearing fur and dishing up QS and as a guest so he understood the parks and what made them work

wdrive

I'm not sure I understand the "this is cheap" argument, considering this is Disney spending money they don't need to be spending. That's the opposite of cheap. I absolutely agree that this is a terrible idea, but the "cheap" option would actually be the correct one in this case. Namely, leave Tower alone.

I see it as cheap in that they obviously want a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction but are too cheap to actually build one properly. Kinda like how they were too cheap to build a Frozen ride.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
That's fascinating. Do you have a source? I'd love to read more about that.
He was interviewed for a (so far) five part recurring interview series on The Season Pass Podcast. I believe that it's part of Episode 2 from 7/24/2013 in the same episode when Eisner wanted Star Tours to be "Star Rides" and they schemed with George Lucas to veto that idea. GREAT INTERVIEW.

Update: scroll to 1:15:00 in the podcast to hear about Splash Mountain

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I see it as cheap in that they obviously want a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction but are too cheap to actually build one properly. Kinda like how they were too cheap to build a Frozen ride.

I got another idea... how about a mass redo of the Great Movie Ride and instead of classic (some of which are unknown to many) movies... how about make it about Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Lucas, etc. movies....the possibilities are endless and they could more easily change out scenes to add something to their parks when they want to (like for GotG). This could also be more popular for kids as well as families as a whole.

Herbie

He was interviewed for a (so far) five part recurring interview series on The Season Pass Podcast. I believe that it's part of Episode 2 from 7/24/2013 in the same episode when Eisner wanted Star Tours to be "Star Rides" and they schemed with George Lucas to veto that idea. GREAT INTERVIEW.

Update: scroll to 1:15:00 in the podcast to hear about Splash Mountain

I wish we had a more comprehensive list of unbuilt attractions, or attractions in their earliest form. Sites like the Neverland Files (extinct) and a slew of the most popular websites have the standard Western River Expedition-type unbuilt attractions, but never things like the featuring-Madison Splash Mountain or the Roger Rabbit-style Toon Tower Hotel (which, I'd probably be okay with, if ToT must ever be-rethemed/re-imagined).

doctornick

I could see this happening at DCA, but I wonder if the execs aren't paying attention to how different the TOT versions are, maybe that will save it, as their planned sharing of things could be a lot more expensive possibly when it comes to DHS....(one can only hope)

Apparently, the mandate/push is to get more Marvel into the parks quickly. Specifically, in regards to GotG, probably to have something by their May 2017 sequel for cross-promotion.

The push to convert both DCA's and DHS's ToT to GotG seems to be coming from WDI who want to be able to go the simplest route and converting the same ride is easier than having different plans. But as mentioned, it's not even that "cheap" considering the ToT rides are actually somewhat different in ride mechanics and layout; besides, it's not hard to conceive that replacing the likes of SGE or RnR with GotG could actually be cheaper than simply doubling up replacing ToT because such conversion would be easier to do.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom