Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Just a brief Sunday afternoon post to clarify.

First, not rumor. This is currently the plan for Anaheim and Orlando. Anaheim is where this generated from after the major E-Ticket coaster got (temporarily?) shelved due to Shanghai's issues. It has been clarified to me that this is a Bob Chapek project and comes from his desire to get Marvel product in the parks as quickly as possible.

This is not blue sky. It is in the development pipeline.

Nothing is a done deal until it happens (that means that SDL might not open, but I sorta think it will) but this is looking extremely likely in CA. and Disney wants it in Florida as well to split the costs and make it appear they are adding actual attractions like Universal and Sea World etc.

The only issue on the FL end is WDW has balked at the costs and would rather a temporary overlay and DCA needs a permanent major Marvel attraction until the now Captain America themed mega-coaster (not RnRC clone any longer) gets budgeted and slotted for build.

This project could happen in one resort alone, but it is highly unlikely. If everything stays on course, DCA's ToT will close in January and reopen by May or June. WDW's would likely follow not long after.

If this happens this may rank as one of the dumbest things they have ever done...and that's a big list already

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Could the mess in Shanghai be just a few chapters in a much larger book titled The Implosion of One Man's Dream: The Fall of Disney Parks & Resorts? Shanghai is way over budget and still won't be completed by the June opening date, which means many more millions could be dumped into that project. There's the possibility of millions being spent on bonehead ideas like a ToT GotG re-skin that, in my opinion, won't increase revenue, but could actually hurt revenue. Continuous cuts (which seem to be making their way into more and more aspects of the parks and resorts) while at the same time increasing prices might take a bite out of demand. Billions being budgeted for DHS renovations, etc., etc., etc. Could P&R be over leveraging themselves while possibly reducing demand that could end up being the perfect storm that takes it down?

I know that sounds extreme, but when when all we seem to be hearing about lately is how disconnected the executives seem to be from their business, it sounds reasonable to me that a series of bad decisions in the near future could be problematic.

Great title for a book, I think Disney WILL be a case study in how to destroy a multigenerational brand with short term thinking. More and more you see Disney making the classic mistakes that brought down other companies. For other examples see RCA at one time a leader in both industrial and consumer electronics before they went BOOM they did stuff like buy Banquet Frozen Foods and other odd business decisions

MasterGracey82

Great title for a book, I think Disney WILL be a case study in how to destroy a multigenerational brand with short term thinking. More and more you see Disney making the classic mistakes that brought down other companies. For other examples see RCA at one time a leader in both industrial and consumer electronics before they went BOOM they did stuff like buy Banquet Frozen Foods and other odd business decisions

I agree. In addition to your examples, look at the big banks prior to the collapse. Same kind of thinking, short term stock performance and bonuses were favored over long term stability. Add in the mentality that you're too big to fail, which I'm sure there's plenty of over at Disney corporate, and look what happened.

HauntedMansionFLA

Though DCA and DHS's ToT are actually different ride systems, albeit similar.
So, I know GotG was in DHS earlier as a meet and greet. Can WDW use GotG as a theme park attraction at DHS? I know 1974 posted this subject and that's why it got so much attention. How much would it cost Disney to make over ToT?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I agree. In addition to your examples, look at the big banks prior to the collapse. Same kind of thinking, short term stock performance and bonuses were favored over long term stability. Add in the mentality that you're too big to fail, which I'm sure there's plenty of over at Disney corporate, and look what happened.

Yes, The common thread i've seen in all failing organizations was a sense of invincibility the "we are the smartest guys in the room" mentality.

What's interesting is that in the UK the FTSE 100 have been directed to STOP quarterly reporting as the governing body feels that the pressure for quarterly 'results' is damaging to the long term stability of the companies and the market as a whole.

From The Telegraph
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...p-firms-told-to-stop-reporting-every-quarter/

Goofyernmost

"Presentable" is not an acceptable standard for a Disney park. It's show ready or it's not. Spirit has made it clear this park won't be show ready come June. That's disgraceful given this is Disney's grand coming out party in Mainland China.
Disneyland opened before it was complete... are you saying that "Walt would never do that?" I don't know the percentages, but I do know, cause I was there 4 months after EPCOT Center opened that a whole lot of what was supposed to be was not yet opened. In fact, I believe that this has been true of just about every Disney park that ever existed.

doctornick

The truly sad thing about this is that there's already an awful, unpopular attraction ripe for removal (Stitch's Great Escape) that would provide an absolutely perfect location for a GotG attraction. But the higher-ups are so intent on replacing/retheming non-IP attractions with IPs that they're blind to the idea of replacing failed past attempts of doing this.

I'm also fine with replacing Laugh Floor with a GotG attraction. Or even *gasp* building on one of the unused expansion pads in TL or elsewhere in DHS.

FrankLapidus

I'm having a lot of trouble believing that this will actually happen, it just too inexplicably stupid an idea, but if it does then its probably going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.

I've loved WDW for twenty years but I'm not going to line their pockets any further while they needlessly destroy the things that have been special and unique about the place in the time that I've been visiting. There are more than enough other things I want to see in this world and seemingly no end to the garbage that these clueless, penny-pinching morons can think up. Its been fun up to now but these people are utterly, utterly clueless and I just can't be bothered getting angry and frustrated about their godawful ideas and schemes anymore. Some other schmuck will just come along to fawn over their crap and lap up nonsense like this but at this point I think I'd be happy to be removed from it and to just not care about the goons holdings the reins at TWDC and their total lack of understanding and respect of the legacy and creative heritage they've been entrusted with; they know the price of everything and the value of absolutely nothing.

For the sake of WDW and for simple and basic common sense I just hope that sound minds and intelligence prevail and this doesn't happen. But I'm not going to hold my breath and if it does then I'm done.

I'd rather keep my memories of the house that Walt and Roy built than pay to watch Bob and his money-hungry band of clueless, incompetent, sycophantic lackies tear it down.

Last edited:

FigmentForver96

I've loved WDW for twenty years but I'm not going to line their pockets any further while they needlessly destroy the things that have been special and unique about the place in the time that I've been visiting. There are more than enough other things I want to see in this world and seemingly no end to the garbage that these clueless, penny-pinching morons can think up. Its been fun up to now but these people are utterly, utterly clueless and I just can't be bothered getting angry and frustrated about their godawful ideas and schemes anymore. Some other schmuck will just come along to fawn over their crap and lap up nonsense like this but at this point I think I'd be happy to be removed from it and to just not care about the goons holdings the reins at TWDC and their total lack of understanding and respect of the legacy and creative heritage they've been entrusted with.

For the sake of WDW and for simple and basic common sense I just hope that sound minds and intelligence prevail and this doesn't happen. But I'm not going to hold my breath.[/QUOTE]
It sounds extreme but yea I'll probably be done if they do this.

lazyboy97o

Though DCA and DHS's ToT are actually different ride systems, albeit similar.
They would be corresponding ride systems along with very similar queues.

So, I know GotG was in DHS earlier as a meet and greet. Can WDW use GotG as a theme park attraction at DHS? I know 1974 posted this subject and that's why it got so much attention. How much would it cost Disney to make over ToT?
It seems that as of now, yes, the characters are free and clear mostly because they really came into their own after 1994 and have stayed somewhat on their own so that they never became part of a larger family. But what happens when all of these characters are part of the next Avengers film(s)?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disneyland opened before it was complete... are you saying that "Walt would never do that?" I don't know the percentages, but I do know, cause I was there 4 months after EPCOT Center opened that a whole lot of what was supposed to be was not yet opened. In fact, I believe that this has been true of just about every Disney park that ever existed.

There is not ready for opening (show element debugging and staging) and there is simply NOT READY for occupancy period with exposed steel etc, SDL is apparently in the latter condition

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They would be corresponding ride systems along with very similar queues.

It seems that as of now, yes, the characters are free and clear mostly because they really came into their own after 1994 and have stayed somewhat on their own so that they never became part of a larger family. But what happens when all of these characters are part of the next Avengers film(s)?

The lawyers get rich and we all lose...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom