Disney Horror Stories

NoRealReason

On my trip for my 13th birthday we were in line for ToT with my dad and my brother, normally my mom comes but she didn't want to this time so the CM asks, "How many in your party" I naturally say four because normally my mom is with us, my dad and my brother both say three. The CM says that only my brother and dad can ride because I didn't know how many were in the party. Trying to be funny I go, "But it's my birthday" proudly wearing my birthday pin, he then says, "How old?" I reply honestly, "13". His response, "You should know how to count then" and he tells me to get in line. I always have a problem with getting told off my teachers and adults, (even though my parents never anything to make me like that) I start crying while standing in my spot, hugging my dad so people can't tell I am crying. The CM then says, "She's just embarrassed," When he is assigning the rows, he gets to our family and says "Row 5, stop crying" I was crying the whole ride but when I got off a woman who I believe had a young child went up to me and said to me, "Happy Birthday" It made me feel alot better but let's just say that I don't think ToT is my favorite ride anymore.

Heffalump333

On my trip for my 13th birthday we were in line for ToT with my dad and my brother, normally my mom comes but she didn't want to this time so the CM asks, "How many in your party" I naturally say four because normally my mom is with us, my dad and my brother both say three. The CM says that only my brother and dad can ride because I didn't know how many were in the party. Trying to be funny I go, "But it's my birthday" proudly wearing my birthday pin, he then says, "How old?" I reply honestly, "13". His response, "You should know how to count then" and he tells me to get in line. I always have a problem with getting told off my teachers and adults, (even though my parents never anything to make me like that) I start crying while standing in my spot, hugging my dad so people can't tell I am crying. The CM then says, "She's just embarrassed," When he is assigning the rows, he gets to our family and says "Row 5, stop crying" I was crying the whole ride but when I got off a woman who I believe had a young child went up to me and said to me, "Happy Birthday" It made me feel alot better but let's just say that I don't think ToT is my favorite ride anymore.
Man that CM is ridiculous.

I was heading into the restroom in the UK pavilion in Epcot when I felt something really sharp on the inside of my arm. Turns out I got stung by a bee... And when I put my arm down, a bird crapped on me at the same time. Headed over to the infirmary and had to walk around with an ice pack on my arm the rest of the time bc it swelled up. Took 2 weeks to go down.

Fantasmicguy

I was heading into the restroom in the UK pavilion in Epcot when I felt something really sharp on the inside of my arm. Turns out I got stung by a bee... And when I put my arm down, a bird crapped on me at the same time. Headed over to the infirmary and had to walk around with an ice pack on my arm the rest of the time bc it swelled up. Took 2 weeks to go down.
Sounds like that sucks but it was hilarious!

Phonedave

Disney knows that fireworks don't belong in guests eyes. In this particular case, the girl was unhurt, therefore there is no need for anything more than a trip to guest relations to tell them what happened.

If any of you remember the thread about the Space Mountain lawsuit, where the man was hit in the head, knocked unconcious, and then suffered permanent damage which kept him from continuing to work as a doctor. THAT is an example of a justified lawsuit. Disney had been previously aware of these exact situations, and CHOSE to do nothing furthur to protect its guests.

What's funny is that in that thread everybody was saying that he didn't deserve a dime.:rolleyes:

Just so you know, the McDonlads hot coffee case was almost exactly the same as what you describe in the Space Mountain case. I agree with you - we live in an overly sue happy society - but the McDonalds coffee case is not a good example. Everyone seems to use it because "hot coffee is hot - how stupid could you be" - but if you look up some facts on the case you will find that McDonalds was serving insanely hot coffee (200+ degrees F), there had been numerous previous cases were customers were burned and McD's settled, McD's was advised numerous times to lower the holding temp of their coffee and they did not, the woman who sued had 3rd degree burns to something like 20% of her body from a single cup of coffee (3rd degree is full tissue depth, down to where there is nerve damage), the woman asked McDonalds to cover her medical bills, which were about $20,000. McD made a counter offer of $800. That is not a typo, $800. That is when the woman ended up suing.

So, again, while I agree, there are way too many law suits out there (I myself was sued once in a case where I had a $800,000 personal exposure - thankfully that never panned out), the McD;s case is not a good one to use.

-dave

BoarderPhreak

Got a little sunburned on my forehead at POR's Ol' Man Island pool and decided to apply some (slightly outdated) sunscreen the wife had along to my face/forehead when we hit MK a day or two later to keep it from getting worse... Turns out that either because of the expiration and/or the PABA, my skin got red(er) but worse, got really puffy... It started affecting my vision because of my face swelling. Went to the First Aid station, where I washed my face, took some Benadryl and applied ice packs for a little while. After an hour or two I was good to go. The nice ladies at EC's Paris pavilion gave me a nicely portioned skin cream sample to take care of it the following day. Whoops.

danyoung56

I love it when old threads like this one pop up again from time to time. My horror story gains a new life, what with all the arguing early in the thread. It involved Epcot fireworks.

I was enjoying a Christmas season in the World a few years ago. I was out in front of the Canada pavilion, watching the huge explosions of the special Christmas tag, when I felt a sharp biting pain on my forehead. I reached up, felt heat, and found that a burning ember had landed on my head and MY HAIR WAS ON FIRE! I quickly slapped it out, and then looked at the dude standing next to me. I ask him "was my hair on fire?" He responded that yeah, I was shooting 3 foot flames at one point!

I wasn't really hurt, but I had a little bit of a blister on my forehead. So I stopped at Epcot's first aid station and got a little ointment for it. They of course had to fill out a report on the incident. I wasn't going to pursue it any further, but about a week later I got a call from Disney Legal, who wanted to discuss my situation. It was basically a settlement conference, and I had no desire to stick it to them. I accepted a few hundred dollars, and had to sign a paper that said I agreed not to continue any further with this. I probably could have sued and won big, but it just wasn't that big a deal and I wasn't hurt that badly.

twilight mitsuk

I love it when old threads like this one pop up again from time to time. My horror story gains a new life, what with all the arguing early in the thread. It involved Epcot fireworks.

I was enjoying a Christmas season in the World a few years ago. I was out in front of the Canada pavilion, watching the huge explosions of the special Christmas tag, when I felt a sharp biting pain on my forehead. I reached up, felt heat, and found that a burning ember had landed on my head and MY HAIR WAS ON FIRE! I quickly slapped it out, and then looked at the dude standing next to me. I ask him "was my hair on fire?" He responded that yeah, I was shooting 3 foot flames at one point!

I wasn't really hurt, but I had a little bit of a blister on my forehead. So I stopped at Epcot's first aid station and got a little ointment for it. They of course had to fill out a report on the incident. I wasn't going to pursue it any further, but about a week later I got a call from Disney Legal, who wanted to discuss my situation. It was basically a settlement conference, and I had no desire to stick it to them. I accepted a few hundred dollars, and had to sign a paper that said I agreed not to continue any further with this. I probably could have sued and won big, but it just wasn't that big a deal and I wasn't hurt that badly.

Did reedy creek fire dept show up?

Visited in '86 (after a series of visits in the '70s and '80s when I was a small child). Lovely.

Next visit in 2010. Wall-to-wall people on scooters. Everything, including food, is mediocre and overpriced. Park maintenance (and customer service) don't seem to be as big a concern as back in the '70s and '80s. (Most of) the Animal Kingdom. Bad merch in the gift shops -- everything has to be a tie-in with some Disney (or Pixar) movie. As far as Disney-specific merch goes, though, no more high-quality stuffed animals of obscure Disney characters lurking in random shops. Liberty Square, with its wonderful shops, is basically no more. (Do visitors understand why the bored cashiers in the Christmas store are sporting Colonial American garb? I kinda didn't, on that trip....) No more costumed characters wandering about amongst visitors. EPCOT is a confused mess (except for the World Showcase [no idea what it's called these days]). No more Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Bay. Lake. Tower (the Contemporary is missing one of its wings!). I could go on, but this is depressing me. We're thinking of returning later this year for the food and wine festival. From the menus I've seen online, looks like culinary's gotten a bit of an upgrade year-round since 2010, but I'd guess that everything else is (possibly?) a shade or two worse. Call me morbidly curious.

Oh, I did love the Animal Kingdom Lodge. That is one cool hotel (though we didn't stay there).

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Nope - I had my head-fire out in just a few seconds.
Have you been called a hot head ever since? I don't even have any kindling on the top of my head, so it would be a very unimpressive fire. Back when I was in high school on the 4th of July there was a fireworks show at our school. I was laying back on a bank watching the fireworks when all of a sudden a shell from the display hit me in the stomach. It was still smoking, but, no flame. I was pretty tough back then so it didn't really hurt, just surprised me. I wonder if the statute of limitations has run out by now. It was about 52 years ago.

danitaytay

I remember this only vaguely because I was only 8 at the time, but back in 2007, my family went away with our cousins to celebrate my oldest cousin's last bout of chemotherapy [after that she was finally in remission from Leukemia :)]. It was definitely an exciting trip, but there were obviously a few limitations due to my cousin's health, and of course we were always supportive of that. She developed a severe sensitivity to the sun because of the chemo and therefore wasn't allowed to stand in the sun directly for more than 10 minutes, so she was issued a GAC card, before it became the DAS card. The CMs were so amazing and cooperative, and treated her like she was royalty, especially after they found out about her amazing battle.
However, we went to go ride Dumbo one morning at MK and back in 2007 those with the GAC card didn't go on the FP line but there was a separate disability line. The CM operating that line for some reason was extremely rude. They began letting people go in front of us, and we mentioned our situation multiple times and said we would leave the line if there was an issue, but he kept repeating we'd have to wait a few more minutes to ride. So we waited, and eventually waited almost an hour with my cousin hiding under a small umbrella my mom happened to have in her bag due to her health and the CM continued to let people go in front of us and let them on the ride, and not us. My mom and aunt obviously became very annoyed and the CM responded "I don't see why she needs special privileges to cut the line". I don't think any of us could believe what we heard. A CM nearby overhead this all and took us off the line and apologized for the CM's behavior. He ended up taking us backstage at Philarmagic, gave us a bunch of pins, and gave my cousin the royal treatment she deserved after that CM at Dumbo made her feel horrible. To this day, none of us have ridden Dumbo...just gives off bad vibes I guess.

danitaytay

I'm sorry you had to experience that.

Thanks. After multiple trips with them since my cousin has been in remission, that's definitely just one of the horrible thing we experienced. I have so many horror stories that come from the guests we encountered alone that'll make you question humanity. I do have to say though, ever since that experience every CM we've encountered that's heard about her situation has been amazing.

Herbie

Late July last year, Spent the night at Magic Kingdom after reservations at Be Our Guest with my sister and her friend. We were probably leaving around midnight, maybe even close to one. Snobby sister and friend were already arguing so tensions were high. As we're exiting the park, I believe we could hear a man on his phone yelling at his wife, asking where she was, threatening to leave/end vacation possibly (not sure, something to that effect). I haven't been to MK at night often, so I'm not sure if roped lines outside of the ferry are common, but the lines were long and wrapped around. Sister, friend, and I entered the line, moved only a little bit. If memory serves, I believe the wife and her 5 year oldish son were ahead of us. The guy approached, and tried to cut ahead to be with them (he was in a rush to get out, that is for sure). The cast member informed him he must get in the back of the line. Visibly and audibly ed, he screamed "c**t" .... at his wife or the cast member, I'm not sure. I guess the wife and her son left to join the husband at the back. If he wasn't screaming profanities before this, he was at least notably agitated, so for this to culminate/escalate to that point... it was a sight to see and an ultimate aggravation. I would've loved to have said something, from a 20 year olds perspective, which I can only hope would've shut him up. I definitely hope someone put him in his place, because it was all uncalled for, no doubt. Worst part, during all this, the man had an infant in his arms (which, in the rush to leave, may have fueled his anger at his wife? I don't know) although I think the child (a girl?) was somehow asleep. My sisters friend was ed enough at my sister for mouthing off about the friend's CM penalty (wrong shoes..), so she was on a roll. Every one around us couldn't help but notice this situation, so the friend and another young man near us were remarking about it, "if that was me" "wouldn't allow that" etc.

The poor wife, the poor children, the poor female CM (who was very stoic about it), the poor man with severe anger and no control. What an end to a night at the Happiest Place on the Earth. Just a sad experience.

Reminded me of past family disputes, truth be told, so it stung that much more, thinking of the children and how things would unfold at the hotel later that night... if he hadn't continued his rampage in line and on the ferry, as well.

Probably needn't inform anyone on here but.. don't be that guy.

MississippiBelle

This horror story involves my own mom :oops: Years ago, we had ADR's at Le Cellier for 6:30. We (both parents, brother, and myself) got there ahead of time and were told it would be a short wait, so we sat down outside in plain view of the hostess station. 30 minutes go by, another family of 4 walk up and ask if there is any tables available. The hostess says "Sure, right this way". At this point in the story, I should point out that my normally friendly and completely amiable mother has a bit of a temper when she is pushed far enough. She has been compared to the hulk and can send someone running in terror with just a look and a quiet word. She went and asked the hostess where we were in the line for tables. I'm assuming she was still being pleasant because at this point I was starting to edge away from the entrance sensing the impending doom and the hostess didn't look terrified. 30 MORE minutes go by and not one, but TWO more 4 member parties are seated before us. My mother unleashed the hulk. Needless to say, the hostess, manager, waiter, and bread service guy all look scared for the rest of the night :eek: I could have crawled under the table and died, I was so embarrassed. I am so non-confrontational that I would have just left and eaten somewhere else. This was well before the penalty for not making you pre-appointed reservation. Good thing the Yachtsman is way better!

VoiceGuy07

While the DW doesn't remember any of these...I do.

We were staying at the Beach Club and our son, about 2 yrs old at the time, got sick and was miserable and crying at night in the room. It was so bad the guests in the next room were pounding on the wall for us the "shut up". I spent most of the evening pushing him around in the stroller out on the Boardwalk to keep him happy and quiet.

The other "mess" was when we visited during a heated union negotiation and were staying at the Contemporary. Someone had vomited just outside the upper floor elevator and it was there for most of the day. We must have passed by that "mess" (get it, a callback) 3 or 4 times that day. Ewwwww!

glvsav37

My mother, sister and myself were at Disney in March of 2009. We went to AK and it was mid-morning and we had a FP for Dinosaur. We got on the ride and I sat on the outside, followed by my sister, my mother and then an empty seat on the other side. Midway through the ride, a dinosaur popped out from the right side and my sister turned her face towards me (away from the dino) and when she did, I covered my face at the same time and ended up elbowing her in the nose. As everyone knows, that ride is pretty dark but during one flash of light I saw that her nose started bleeding. I grabbed my purse and started rummaging around in it for a napkin but the only thing I could find was a receipt so she put the receipt on her nose to catch the blood. I don’t even remember the rest of the ride because my mother and I were too busy trying to make sure my sister was ok. When we got off the ride, she was tilting her head back to stop the blood. She made the mistake of tipping her head forward and blood gushed out of her nose running down her arm. My mother then continued to the nearest bathroom while my sister and I sat down on a bench. I cant stand the sight of blood and as I helped her wipe up with some napkins someone had handed us, I started to get lightheaded and felt like I was going to get sick. I sprinted to the bathroom and made it to the stall just in time. I had to sit there for a few minutes, lightheaded and nauseaus. I got off the ride expecting her as well as my mother and I to be covered in blood but luckily, she only got one tiny spot of blood on her jean skirt!! Not TOO horrific of a story but definitely one we still remember and talk about. Needless to say, next time we ride Dinosaur, there will an empty seat between me and the person riding next to me! lol

Similar with that ride, but no one to blame but myself.

prob around 1998 or so, was on vacation with my GF's (now wife's) family. On Dinosaur, at the end when the dino comes at you from above, I ducked right as the vehicle was bouncing upward and smacked my front teeth on the handle bars. Out pops my front tooth....now it was fake, a cap I had from a childhood accident, but no one really knew about it—Surprise! So the ride unloads and the lights come on and there I am missing a front tooth.

fortunately, it landed on the floor right in front of me and I was able to grab it before they kicked us off the ride.

after everyone got over the initial shock, we made our way to first aid to see what they could do. On our way, we see Flik and Atta from Bugs Life greeting guests. My GF mentions that she wanted a photo, but then quickly realized I wasn't in the mood for a picture right then.

Thankfully, the tooth was temporarily fixable with some denture cream. And ironically, Flik and Atta used that first aide as there backstage exit, so my GF got her picture with them, just in the fist aide waiting room.

Downside is that it was on the day that I was planning a nice romantic evening for just me and her—dinner and Cirque—and b/c of the loose tooth, I could only eat soft foods and on the opposite side...not so romantic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom