Disney Horror Stories

josh_e_washie

Original Poster
Hey Everyone,
We have all heard about the great aspects of Disney Parks and Resorts, but have you ever had a horrific experience on Disney property? (If not horrific, then at least really bad?) I have a few to share with you....

On my first trip to the Magic Kingdom, I remember waiting for my mom to get our park tickets as my sister, brother and father waited on a park bench outside the entrance. There was a little girl, maybe four or five, sitting next to us with her parents. She was crying and screaming "I'm tired mommy I wanna go home! I'm really tired and I wanna sleep mommy!" Her mother then turned to her, grabbed her, stared her down and screamed "WE'RE AT THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH AND YOU'RE GONNA HAVE FUN DAMNIT!!!" Needless to say, my family was a little freaked out!

The classic monorail story...on a trip to the character breakfast on the bottom of the concourse at the Contemporary, we took Monorail Red from the Magic Kingdom. It was a particularly windy day as we raced toward the giant A-Frame hotel. Suddenly, the lights in the car started to flicker and an ungodly noise came from the bottom of the cars. The sound sounded like screeching, grinding metal and was louder than anything I can remember. Our cars came suddenly to a hault with half of the cars inside the hotel, and half outside. After about thirty seconds, as people were finding their bags and picking themselves up off the floor, an announcement came on the intercom.
"Ladies and gentleman we apologize for the inconvienience, but we will get moving again as soon as possible."
We all were a little freaked out, but trusted Disney, and waited for the cars to move again. They suddenly jolted backward, then forward, then backward again, accompanied by the grinding metal noise heard before.
After about a half hour of this motion, our reservations at the breakfast already past, the voice came on again, and explained the situation. Apparently monorails have windflaps on the bottom of the cars to slow them down in addition to the friction brakes. Well as the flaps came down that day, the strong gusts must have pushed some of them up underneath and onto the track, grinding and slowing the cars to a stop. They told us that they were going to unload us all inside the Contemporary, and that they truly apologized for the inconvienience.
After another half hour of slow grinding into the building, we finally arrived. The doors opened, and we were greeted to many dozens, if not hundreds of people hanging over the balconies and crowding the walkways looking at what was making all of that racket. We went down to the restaraunt, had breakfast (for free by the way!) and returned up to the monorail platform. In the time that we ate our breakfast, not only did they get the poor thing out of the hotel, they also got it off the track and replaced it with another monorail- in a matter of an hour or so! AMAZING! And from then on, I have always been afraid of monorail red.

Does anyone else have any horror stories?!:p

DisneyCP2000

Last year we had big plans to visit epcot. We got up nice and early to go to the park and found out that the power was out to the entire park. :( So plans were shifted to the Studios instead.

WDW David

Banned
Originally posted by josh_e_washie
There was a little girl, maybe four or five, sitting next to us with her parents. She was crying and screaming "I'm tired mommy I wanna go home! I'm really tired and I wanna sleep mommy!" Her mother then turned to her, grabbed her, stared her down and screamed "WE'RE AT THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH AND YOU'RE GONNA HAVE FUN DAMNIT!!!" Needless to say, my family was a little freaked out!

Sorry to say I laughed when I finished reading that paragraph. It's funny in a way, its something my parents would do.

imagineersrock

There was a little girl, maybe four or five, sitting next to us with her parents. She was crying and screaming "I'm tired mommy I wanna go home! I'm really tired and I wanna sleep mommy!" Her mother then turned to her, grabbed her, stared her down and screamed "WE'RE AT THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH AND YOU'RE GONNA HAVE FUN DAMNIT!!!"

...Oh my god, I didnt think anyone was watching.....!:lookaroun

:lol: yea, just jokin [couldnt help myself]

all41

During our first trip back in 1988, each of the 3 days we were in a park (Epcot, MGM, MK) a major ride broke down while we were either in line or on the ride.

The first time it happened was disappointing.
The second time it happened was perplexing.
After that, we were just waiting for it and found it funny when it did. What else did you expect?

Despite wasting time and not getting any "passes" or apologies from Disney, we had a great time and have returned many times.

disneydudette

The hurricane...
can't remember which one...

newyas...we were at Typhoon Lagoon....Huge gusts of wind and rain....10 people under one of those tiny hay huts...
It actually was kinda fun....me and my older brother...took lawn chairs...and barcaded the large group...the depry flying around was scarey and dangerous....and then I was chosen as the messenger to get first aid...(our baracade didn't work...injury #s 1,2,3,- unbrella flew in...)...we got all fixed up...and a CM ran over...then got taken down by a lawn chair (#4)...actually that was kinda funny too....
neways to make a long story...even longer...only 2 members in our hut needed Medical atention...as well as the CM...(who we dragged in to our hut after the lawn chair attack)...
We all got one day passes to one of the Water Parks....

good times...good times...:rolleyes:

stkhill@mac.com

Hurricane scare

We were there in October, 1999. On our last morning, we had PS for breakfast at the castle--the evening before the weather alerts started for the hurricane that was supposed to come inland. The huge plants outside the Contemporary were tied down, the winds picked up--BUT, I kept telling my husband that I worked hard to get those reservations, and I was going--no matter what! Luckily, the only weather that hit was high wind and rain-but I bundled up the kids and braved the weather to get to our breakfast! :slurp:

CDS Disney

It was July 1998 and the tail end of a hurricane blew in. Blowing ball size rain drops and quit the electrical storm. The Drains couldn’t handle it and tomarowland flooded. Those yellow ponchos don't work in that kind of weather. My family was also separated so my brother was freaking out.

Nansafan

This happened to my brother. Christmas of 1997 trip, after a late night ride on Splash, his group saw that they had time to rush back into line to get one more ride before the park closed. Making the first turn after exiting the logs, my brother fell, hard on the wet pavement. He thought he had broken his cheek, he hit the ground so hard. Apparently they were just out of view of any CM's. He got up and they ran back into line and rode Splash again. As they left the park, he felt his arm stiffening up. They went to First Aid but it was closing. They walked back to the Contemporary. By the time they got to their room about 45 minutes had passed since he fell. He couldn't straighten his arm anymore. They called the Front Desk and were told about the clinic on property. He and my cousin caught a cab to the clinic only to find it closed for the night. The cab driver took them to the nearby hospital. He had a compression fracture of the radial head. Basically, he broke his arm just below the elbow.

2 years ago we decided to hotel hop. First at the Polynesian in the middle of the night the ceiling plaster came crashing down outside the bathroom door. I heard the noise but just thought it was one of the DS using the bathroom and knocked into wall etc. That same day we were checking into the beach club. As soon as we got there one DS decided to take a shower since they were afraid to use the Poly bathroom after what happened. When he turned on the shower the handle broke and they called a maintenance CM. He came and said, oh I know what the problem is but I can't fix it now because the beach club stove just broke and I need to go to the Boardwalk to get a part. Meanwhile we are stitting in the room wondering if the tub will overflow into the room before he gets back because you couldn't turn off the water. Then when we were at the animal kingdom lodge, 1st my DH had a business dinner in Boma's and we were there less than 30 minutes and I had to excuse myself due to food poisioning. Not to mention we never saw any animals from our room, ocassionally a few animal butts and the ice machine was broke in the middle of august no less and then finally when the mears guy came to pick us up around 5:30 a .m. we were walking down the hall and saw some giraffees and then on the mears shuttle we had to endure their usual gazillion stops. Lets see.. the honeymoon couple from coronado springs also told us how they were stuck in disney for 2 extra days because he also got food poisioning and it ruined their honeymoon and then at the caribbean beach stop we had to hear how the poor old grandpa broke his arm during a rain storm while climbing up into the disney bus. By this time I was tapping my ruby slippers, oh no I mean white reeboks and saying slowly to myself, ther'es no place like home...theres no place like home:lol: :lol:

meeko_33785

I remember about 7 or so years ago I was at the UK pavillion at EPCOT. It was a hot summer morning and there were a bunch of characters were in the garden in the back of the pavillion. Suddenly, it seemed that Winnie the Pooh had enough of the heat and fainted. People were shouting to the CMs to help Pooh and eventualy ended dragging the still-smilling bear off stage. I can't imagine how traumatizing it was for all the children that were there to see that happen.

aj_macack

This story is still terrifying for my mother. My parents, two sisters and I went to the UK at Epcot for dinner in like 1991ish... well my littliest sister, who was about 3, walked into the hostess stand. For some reason there was a small piece of metal sticking out of it and punctured her face about 1/2 below her right eye ( she still has the scar)... all she did was scream, and the CMs called their boss and he was all like.. "OMG we're so sorry. Do you want Mickey sweetie. We can bring Mickey over if you want." Needless to say all my sister wanted to do was go back to our hotel to bleed in private. I still think it's funny that the head CM thought that bringing over a CM in costume would fix the problem.. He was very helpful tho... I still remember that... :lol:

Horizons1

Originally posted by meeko_33785
I remember about 7 or so years ago I was at the UK pavillion at EPCOT. It was a hot summer morning and there were a bunch of characters were in the garden in the back of the pavillion. Suddenly, it seemed that Winnie the Pooh had enough of the heat and fainted. People were shouting to the CMs to help Pooh and eventualy ended dragging the still-smilling bear off stage. I can't imagine how traumatizing it was for all the children that were there to see that happen.

Kids dont worry,Pooh is just taking a ..umm,A nap,yeah thats it:lol:

troberts1

Our first year we arrived on a Sunday and went to MK on Monday,about Monday afternoon I noiced our son 4 years old was very cranky this went on thru Tuesday and Tuesday night when we put him in the bathtub we noticed small red spots on him.I told my wife that he must be allergic to whatever they wash the sheets on the bed with.well by Wednesday morning we knoew what it was,the Chicken Pox.we call our doctor back in Ohio and tell him what is going on (were at Disney and he has the Chicken Pox) thinking our vacation is over,he says its been 48 hours since he started so hes not contagious anymore,just keep him covered and out of the sun as much as possible.I put makeup on him and a hat on him and away we went,hoping nobody would notice and panic.by Friday everyone was looking at him but nobody said anything untill we got to the Disney Store at the Airport.I was never so happy to take off and get home.and I always wondered if any kids got Chicken Pox at Disney from the 1st few days of us not knowing.I told my wife that we probably caused a millions of kids to get Chicken Pox because of being at the parks Monday and Tuesday while he was contagious.but we didnt know it then so I guess I cant blame myself.

Bagheera

Last November, I was coming down the steps in front of the Main Street Exposition Hall to let my wife, son, and stepmother know that my father was finally at the front of the line and paying for our photos. I turned to see if he was finished yet, half-missed a step, and rolled my ankle. The pain was so intense that I couldn't see for a couple of minutes. After about 5 minutes, I could put a little weight on it, so I just said, "let's go, we don't want to miss our PS at 'Ohana." (Yeah, tough it out.) Well, it really stiffened up by the time we got back to the resort, and by the next morning I couldn't even limp on it without leaning on someone or something. My folks took my son to Downtown Disney to shop while my wife took me over to Centra Care. A stirrup splint and some painkillers later, I was laid up in the room for the day while they headed to Animal Kingdom, and I missed my son getting picked for the kids parade at the end of the Lion King show. Oy.

meanmice

On my first trip to the Magic Kingdom, I remember waiting for my mom to get our park tickets as my sister, brother and father waited on a park bench outside the entrance. There was a little girl, maybe four or five, sitting next to us with her parents. She was crying and screaming "I'm tired mommy I wanna go home! I'm really tired and I wanna sleep mommy!" Her mother then turned to her, grabbed her, stared her down and screamed "WE'RE AT THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH AND YOU'RE GONNA HAVE FUN DAMNIT!!!" Needless to say, my family was a little freaked out!

A similar thing happened to me my first trip to WDW. it was infront of Horizons and this little boy was crying and his mother told him to stop and then said if he didn't she would spank him. It left me wondering, If I was spanked, wouldn't I cry more?

Katherine

I don't really remember this but I have heard the story so many times I feel like I do soo..

I was really little and my parents had told me that Mickey would let enyone that was 3 into WDW if they weren't potty trained(a brief history: I was a very stubborn little girl and didn't want to get potty Trained I also didn't want to learn to read... go firgure:lol: )sooo... I learned how to go and on our next trip to WDW my parents say they found out where every single bathroom in WDW was.:lol:

Stitch79

Its kind of sad, reading these posts, to know that some people can be so petty.....especially at Disney.

:(

All we can do is not let them ruin it for everyone!

EpcoTim

It is a shame that some people find it amusing to ruin others vacations. But it is also good to know that most Disney guests are kind and caring people. Granted, Im a nice person, in an a-hole sort of way sometimes. But I could never go out and purposely, knowingly, do some of the things people do. Having people tht arent from this country fight over buses and cut in lines is another thing, but its just something you have to deal with I guess. Its weird how the happiest place on earth (or Second if you count Wrigley Field and Old Style) can make some people such jerks.

mandib

Re: Hurricane scare

Originally posted by stkhill@mac.com
We were there in October, 1999. On our last morning, we had PS for breakfast at the castle--the evening before the weather alerts started for the hurricane that was supposed to come inland. The huge plants outside the Contemporary were tied down, the winds picked up--BUT, I kept telling my husband that I worked hard to get those reservations, and I was going--no matter what! Luckily, the only weather that hit was high wind and rain-but I bundled up the kids and braved the weather to get to our breakfast! :slurp:

You sound like my mom! She's like I don't care if your on your death bed I got a princess breakfest and we're going. And that's all there is to it! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom