Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

lazyboy97o

Not really.

A most extreme example would be the execution of Cars Quatre Roues Rallye to DCA's Radiator Springs or Winnie the Pooh Adventure to TDL's Hunny Hunt.

That's all pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but *this* iteration of Toy Story is obviously not the same. So maybe it will impress, maybe it won't.

This land will not be the same as the other two.

No it hasn't. There are two other Toy Story lands, yes. However, this is not those lands. Maybe we can wait till its done and see. If once its built it is horrible then we can say it's horrible.
All of the art shows a land with the same concept and aesthetic. A few different rides, that are still rather bare, doesn't change any of that.

G00fyDad

All of the art shows a land with the same concept and aesthetic. A few different rides, that are still rather bare, doesn't change any of that.

We'll see. For now I'd like to keep an open mind about it and give them the benefit of the doubt. It could turn out that this is the least desirable section of the new park. I get that. However, it may turn out to be quite nice. As you said yourself, it is a concept. They may make drastic changes, or they could leave it as is. All the doom and gloom aside, I think we can ALL agree that ANYTHING is better than what is happening there right now.

lazyboy97o

We'll see. For now I'd like to keep an open mind about it and give them the benefit of the doubt. It could turn out that this is the least desirable section of the new park. I get that. However, it may turn out to be quite nice. As you said yourself, it is a concept. They may make drastic changes, or they could leave it as is. All the doom and gloom aside, I think we can ALL agree that ANYTHING is better than what is happening there right now.
What doubt? The art clearly shows the same aesthetic. I mean "concept" as int he idea, but not one that is not yet defined; that the new rides will take on a look similar to what has already been established.

And no, anything, is not an automatic positive.

G00fyDad

What doubt? The art clearly shows the same aesthetic. I mean "concept" as int he idea, but not one that is not yet defined; that the new rides will take on a look similar to what has already been established.

And no, anything, is not an automatic positive.

Fine. Start out hating something you have never even seen. (No. Concept art does not count.) Have a nice evening. :D

Sped2424

Again, have a good night. ;)
I think he is trying to say regardless of the planned execution he isn't a fan of the concept regardless of it's higher quality over the foreign already established lands. Which I don't agree with but I can understand his point!

AmUK

It might have a few different rides, but the land itself appears the same as Paris and Hong Kong - and i've been to both of those parks and they are cheap budget lands.

Welcome to the world of Six Flags in Disney.

AmUK

That's pushing it. Six Flags would never be able to afford to do something like this and it would look even more garish.

I think Busch Gardens is a bit more apt of a comparison.

Have you seen the Toy Story Lands in Hong Kong and Paris? I promise you they are cheap tatty affairs. They are there simply to take up space, and give a few rubbish attractions. There is no immersive experience, no amazing landscape, nothing. They did that in both Hong Kong and Paris, why do you think they would suddenly change the whole concept for Orlando ... it may have a new ride, but the land itself is the same.

Those who are arguing it may well be good, have not seen the lands in Paris and Hong Kong ! They are quite simply dreadfull.

boufa

Have you seen the Toy Story Lands in Hong Kong and Paris? I promise you they are cheap tatty affairs. They are there simply to take up space, and give a few rubbish attractions. There is no immersive experience, no amazing landscape, nothing. They did that in both Hong Kong and Paris, why do you think they would suddenly change the whole concept for Orlando ... it may have a new ride, but the land itself is the same.

Those who are arguing it may well be good, have not seen the lands in Paris and Hong Kong ! They are quite simply dreadfull.

Total BS. Just because they have built crap before doesn't mean the one in DHS will be the same. No one knows (at least no one who is talking) and that is that. Maybe it will be the same, but times have changed and immersion is the rage, and painting a few off the shelf rides in primary colors simply won't do. I would think that the odd are it will be more detailed and better put together than previous versions.

That said, being more of an imaginary kids area, I doubt it will be anywhere near as immersive as star wars, or even avatar land, but that too is just a guess.

AmUK

Total BS. Just because they have built crap before doesn't mean the one in DHS will be the same. No one knows (at least no one who is talking) and that is that. Maybe it will be the same, but times have changed and immersion is the rage, and painting a few off the shelf rides in primary colors simply won't do. I would think that the odd are it will be more detailed and better put together than previous versions.

That said, being more of an imaginary kids area, I doubt it will be anywhere near as immersive as star wars, or even avatar land, but that too is just a guess.

The exact same thing was said when they built it at Hong Kong. I know i was there, and a few on the forums were saying the same thing - that it couldn't possibly be as bad as the version in Paris - but it was just as woeful.

No theming, it just plonks a few 6 Flag type rides down and paints them in a few colours - and they pass it of as some new land. Why on earth would Disney be looking to put in low basement budget attractions? The legacy of adding anything new is that it will last 40-50 years, and they do stuff like this.

Why are they working on such woeful budgets?

flyerjab

The exact same thing was said when they built it at Hong Kong. I know i was there, and a few on the forums were saying the same thing - that it couldn't possibly be as bad as the version in Paris - but it was just as woeful.

No theming, it just plonks a few 6 Flag type rides down and paints them in a few colours - and they pass it of as some new land. Why on earth would Disney be looking to put in low basement budget attractions? The legacy of adding anything new is that it will last 40-50 years, and they do stuff like this.

This role that you are so desperately trying to define yourself as is already being admirably filled out by @ford91exploder. I suggest you take a look at some of his posts as the term curmudgeon has already been taken.

flyerjab

Also, I have seen walk-through videos of both Toy Story Lands in Paris and Hong Kong. Aside from the concept, I see no way how this is exactly the same as either of them, just on rides alone. An RC racer, parachute drop and slinky dog carousel, compared to a 3-track Toy Story Midway Mania, Slinky Dog family coaster (with large AA figures) and a new Buzz Lightyear/alien double spinner type ride which is supposedly similar to the Mater's Junkyard Jamboree ride? I will take what is coming to DHS any day compared to what is already in the other parks. And again, there looks to be some type of QS in the rendering, as well as some other merch locations (I think).

My understanding of the approach that is being taken in this park is that designs were presented and the imagineers were told this seems like "more of the same." Well, if this new land at DHS had a parachute drop, slink carousel and RC racer as the "headliner" attractions to this expansion, I would agree that it was more of the same. Clearly that is not what has happened here.

RSoxNo1

Look at the concept art for this and look at the concept art for New Fantasyland. It was done by the same artist, and for the most part New Fantasyland looks very similar to the second piece of aerial concept art (with the Mine Train). Disney deliberately called this Toy Story Land, not Toy Story Playland, and we know it isn't sharing any attractions with the Playland counterparts. Having said that, Toy Story doesn't lend itself to immersion in the same way other properties do. It lends itself to propping and decorating similar to Pop Century.

I have every expectation that this will be better than Toy Story Playland, and I also expect it to be better than most of the disjointed mess that is the current Hollywood Studios. But keep in mind this is a small (and necessary piece) to a much larger overhaul for the park. The park doesn't just need E-tickets, it needs a blend of different types of attractions at all levels. I applaud them for not putting in the Toy Story Playland type things or even A Bug's Land type attractions that only cater to children. This is a whip ride on par with Mater's at DCA, and a lightly themed roller coaster on par with Mine Train for thrills. If this was all the park was getting you'd have reason to complain, but it's not.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You're such an over dramatic liar. I was just there Saturday night and DHS is far from "barren". Despite the prevailing rhetoric on this board, there is still plenty to do at the park. Maybe not for us hardcore fans, but for the casual family, yes.

You have it there, Disney no longer CARES about the repeat visitor. They want the 'One and Done' visitor who is not aware of year over year quality decreases and price increases.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom