Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Chris82

I don't think the idea of a Toy Story themed area is fundamentally awful or tacky, although that feels like a real risk. Even if it's higher quality than the other Toy Story Lands in Paris and Hong Kong, the general approach to theming could still have a Chester and Hester's Dino-rama vibe, just because of what it is - carnival rides with a franchise overlay, the excellence of Toy Story Mania notwithstanding.

If the Imagineers were to approach it, however, from a fantasy perspective rather than a strictly logistics perspective, that is, "How can we make guests relive the fantasy at the root of the Toy Story franchise?" rather than merely "How can we increase capacity with only X dollars and X years?" I think the land has the potential to be awesome.

If it could capture, say, the joy a kid building a K'nex Ferris Wheel in their bedroom, or even just a little of the Disney Infinity style joy of imaginative freeplay, the idea of visiting a world of oversize, living toys could be awesome. Could kids play word games by jumping on a giant Speak and Spell? Experience an elaborate, melodramatic army man/action figure battle somehow, like the opening of Toy Story 3? There are many potential "emotional hooks" to Toy Story Land - could they be brought to life within budget with a little creativity?

I also note that there are a lot of buildings and areas in the Toy Story Land concept art that haven't been identified yet - so maybe there are more plans for this area than we currently see?

AmUK

I don't think the idea of a Toy Story themed area is fundamentally awful or tacky, although that feels like a real risk. Even if it's higher quality than the other Toy Story Lands in Paris and Hong Kong, the general approach to theming could still have a Chester and Hester's Dino-rama vibe, just because of what it is - carnival rides with a franchise overlay, the excellence of Toy Story Mania notwithstanding.

If the Imagineers were to approach it, however, from a fantasy perspective rather than a strictly logistics perspective, that is, "How can we make guests relive the fantasy at the root of the Toy Story franchise?" rather than merely "How can we increase capacity with only X dollars and X years?" I think the land has the potential to be awesome.

If it could capture, say, the joy a kid building a K'nex Ferris Wheel in their bedroom, or even just a little of the Disney Infinity style joy of imaginative freeplay, the idea of visiting a world of oversize, living toys could be awesome. Could kids play word games by jumping on a giant Speak and Spell? Experience an elaborate, melodramatic army man/action figure battle somehow, like the opening of Toy Story 3? There are many potential "emotional hooks" to Toy Story Land - could they be brought to life within budget with a little creativity?

I also note that there are a lot of buildings and areas in the Toy Story Land concept art that haven't been identified yet - so maybe there are more plans for this area than we currently see?

Very good in theory .... why wouldn't and didn't they do this in Paris or Hong Kong then?

Last edited:

note2001

I heard a rumor that it will become a Muppet's themed restaurant. However, I have no idea if it is true, so take it for what it is worth.
I love it. Imagine ordering chicken fingers:

The cashier yells out "Order of chicken!"
Swedish chef's voice responds with "Unda clucky cluck!"
Followed by clucking and the chef calling "'Ere de clucky cluck."
...followed by a visual of feathers *poofing* into the air.

Ha! The kids might not ever eat chicken again.

Last edited:

Mike C

You're such an over dramatic liar. I was just there Saturday night and DHS is far from "barren". Despite the prevailing rhetoric on this board, there is still plenty to do at the park. Maybe not for us hardcore fans, but for the casual family, yes.

Compare it to the other parks (start counting), and you see why people are complaining.

lazyboy97o

Total BS. Just because they have built crap before doesn't mean the one in DHS will be the same. No one knows (at least no one who is talking) and that is that. Maybe it will be the same, but times have changed and immersion is the rage, and painting a few off the shelf rides in primary colors simply won't do. I would think that the odd are it will be more detailed and better put together than previous versions.

That said, being more of an imaginary kids area, I doubt it will be anywhere near as immersive as star wars, or even avatar land, but that too is just a guess.
So maybe you can answer why Disney released art that shows the same aesthetic if they plan to do something completely different?

I really don't care why other people are complaining. At this very moment one can enjoy 7 attractions (and I'm counting OMD here), take in 7 live entertainment options (not counting Citizens of Hollywood), plus do a few meet and greets (which, surprise surprise, some people enjoy). The Osbourne Lights started last night, so there's another evening option. You also have various shopping options shattered about, so if you like browsing, that's an option.

I'm not saying the park isn't without flaws (I hate DHS, tbh) and I don't think it should cost $97 dollars to enter. But to say there is nothing to do at DHS, is an absolute lie. Its just people complaining for the sake of complaining
A park of similar size with a third the attendance should still have about double the total number of attractions. Yes, the total number surpasses the magic 8.5 number for a satisfactory day, but the scheduling of shows and personal preference really hurt the perception of the park.

doctornick

I'm not saying the park isn't without flaws (I hate DHS, tbh) and I don't think it should cost $97 dollars to enter. But to say there is nothing to do at DHS, is an absolute lie. Its just people complaining for the sake of complaining

The stuff that DHS does have is actually quite good and worthwhile to experience, but DHS does need a lot of complimentary attractions to fill a day. As I've said before though, they have yet to close anything at DHS that I particularly cared for or even did in my recent visits. Scratch that, I did actually like Animation Academy, but they'll have an interesting replacement up and running soon enough.

boufa

So maybe you can answer why Disney released art that shows the same aesthetic if they plan to do something completely different?.

Because it's concept art, not blueprints. Basic pallet broad brush strokes are all you get from concept art. Having seen what imagineering is capable of, and seeing what kind of quick half hearted effort that got us into a place that a park that is essentially brand new, needs gutted and rebuilt. I think they will do fine.

BrianLo

Have you seen the Toy Story Lands in Hong Kong and Paris?

Those who are arguing it may well be good, have not seen the lands in Paris and Hong Kong ! They are quite simply dreadfull

The exact same thing was said when they built it at Hong Kong. I know i was there, and a few on the forums were saying the same thing - that it couldn't possibly be as bad as the version in Paris - but it was just as woeful.

Yes, I have actually seen both, I disagree.

Paris is tacky, no questions asked. Hong Kong is appropriately adorned for what it is trying to be. It only suffers from keeping the same attractions, which are all generally mediocre and still missing the anchor (TSMM).

Of course - I'm not a shell account, created a week and a half ago.

So maybe you can answer why Disney released art that shows the same aesthetic if they plan to do something completely different?

Because it is the same property, of course it has the same aesthetic. Whether the aesthetic of Toy Story will ever have merit is certainly up for debate.

Exhibit B. Same concept art aesthetic, wildly different results.

cars1_high_res-540x367.jpg

(http://themeparkinvestigator.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/cars1_high_res.jpg)

Radiator%20Springs%20Racers%20concept%20art%20(3).jpg

Last edited:

AmUK

Too many people reporting on the issue of Toy Story land without having ever seen the lands in Paris and Hong Kong - they are in no position to comment really on the attraction. A few drawings offers no insight.

Then you have those who acknowledge the Toy Story lands in Paris and Hong Kong are awful and cheap but somehow Disney will change it for Orlando - but then offer no backup as to why you think Disney would change it?

I tell you what Toy Story is, a cheap little land, to keep the customers happy - a cheap padding, whilst they spend next to nothing on the parks, and roll in profits. Star Wars won't be built for an age.

And don't tell me Disney cant move quick - they'v been quite quick on the Disney Springs project, as that brings in money !

Brer Panther

Because Disney has a construction crew comprised entirely of turtles. Either that or they're too busy working on that Frozen ride (which is also taking an extremely long time to build, so it could be both).

Matt_Black

I tell you what Toy Story is, a cheap little land, to keep the customers happy - a cheap padding, whilst they spend next to nothing on the parks, and roll in profits.

And you know that for a fact? Can you look into your crystal ball and tell me the lotto numbers for tomorrow too? Next time I go to WDW, I want a nice fancy room at the Grand Floridian, and that would certainly help!

lazyboy97o

Because it's concept art, not blueprints. Basic pallet broad brush strokes are all you get from concept art. Having seen what imagineering is capable of, and seeing what kind of quick half hearted effort that got us into a place that a park that is essentially brand new, needs gutted and rebuilt. I think they will do fine.
That definition completely nullifies the whole point of concept art. Not having specifics doesn't mean it lacks the desired feel and overall look.

Because it is the same property, of course it has the same aesthetic. Whether the aesthetic of Toy Story will ever have merit is certainly up for debate.
Being the same property doesn't mean the same aesthetic for the land.

AmUK

And you know that for a fact? Can you look into your crystal ball and tell me the lotto numbers for tomorrow too? Next time I go to WDW, I want a nice fancy room at the Grand Floridian, and that would certainly help!

Well because i have seen the lands at Hong Kong and Paris, and they are cheap and naff. Go look at Youtube videos yourself. If they would build them cheap and naff there, why would they change it in Orlando?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom