A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

So why is Disney so slow to build things despite greater expense compared to Universal? I've seen many generalized explanations of bureaucracies of corporations and WDI wasting money and union labor and so on. Star Wars land was waiting on direction of the movies, plus the first draft wasn't ambitious enough.
As far I know, this has been explained many times... and has nothing to do with "Union" labour.

It was mentioned before in the many spirited threads.. that Disney loves to "spread" the costs of construction over many quarters to keep their numbers "happy".

Cesar R M

China's tanking, apparently.

Also, technical glitches. Or at least that's the official version.
I always get wary when an important institution that almost never fails (like wall street)
suddenly gets "glitches" when theres fear about recession.

Thats almost as suspicious as the voting systems crashing in a Mexican election. Specifically when the opposition is winning by a large margin. Just to give a gigantic margin win to the "chosen party", after the systems are back up.

Dont forget about United Airlines too? Coincidence? (FWIW, I dont believe in coincidence)
I wonder how many sites are down.
Could be that one of the major routers or master Domain controllers are down?

I remember when ASIA, MIDEAST and EURO networks went to an almost standstill when Egypt(I think it was egypt) blocked their entire network. causing linking disruption (until the networks started to change their default routes)

Same when some underwater cables for IRAN were cut (right after news being released of "new" tech by the US military, having submarines and water drones capable of cutting undersea cables to tap to them for espionage) .
Most of the traffic had to go thru Australia(Unsure about this.. but it was a pretty far country, causing massive slowdowns in ASIA networks)

I need to pull my google fu and search these cases..

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Iger and Staggs are attending the Allen & Co.'s annual Sun Valley conference. A who's who of industry titans. Zuckerberg, Rupert Murdoch, Tim Cook, Elon Musk, and Ted Sarandos are among some of the other attendees. Would love to be a fly on that wall.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/07/06/musk-iger-murdoch-allen-co-san-valley/29794609/

At the conference, Iger was asked about the upcoming competition they will have in the comic book movies from DC and Warner Bros. Igers arrogant response...."We're Marvel"

He also said, "...when the Marvel brand is on a movie, it really makes a difference. We are seeing signs of that."

Thats funny, I wonder how he feels about the "Disney brand" being on a movie after flops like Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland, John Carter, etc. What kind of signs are they seeing from that?
He would probably retort about how good the Animation segment is doing.
I mean... FROZEN.. FROZEN EVERYWHERE!

Cesar R M

When it comes to superhero movies, Marvel has nothing to worry about. It may be brash and arrogant but they're also right.

DC/Warner can't seem to get their crap together.
Considering their over-reliance on "gritty" Batman. If I was DC, I would definitively be worried.

As for DC... they seem to concentrate on the TV market segment more. The Flash is doing very well and Daredevil too.

Fact: Oprah is more popular than the MLS.

Not fair.. Oprah is a behemoth in the entertainment business! ;)

Oh ... and a public death threat on the Twitter from the moron in Celebration who thinks that Anna, Elsa and Olaf are real. May have to have the authorities talk to his mommy and daddy because their 'special boy' is really out of control. He gives special needs people a very bad name.
woah, did this really happen??

Last edited:

Cesar R M

So, as I went to bed last night the markets in China were in total freefall. Apparently, close to three trillion in 'value/wealth' were lost. A great story (I think it was Bloomberg, don't have it handy) on China basically losing their middle class.

Today, what happens? Our markets open like everything is normal. And then we start dropping and ... and ... I guess the NYSE has the same technology issues that a tech rube like myself (to quote friends on the PML) because suddenly trading stops. We are now one hour and 25 minutes into the halt.

If ''it's just a glitch'' works for others, then why not use it on Wall Street?

I love the naive who don't understand the amount of puppeteering that goes on in our world.
You mean, just like those banks in the UK that were caught manipulating every single currency transfer/value for their own purpose?

Which makes me suspicious cause of the following question:
Why the currencies from Countries that have nothing to do with Greece, continue to suffer against the dollar or other "top nation" currencies? (like the Yen, British pound..etc..)
Why Countries that do not need any "loan", are forced by the FMI and World Bank to take "loans" ? (and most of them are for dumb things, like "planting billion trees to curfew climate change")

You can only manipulate your currency for so long before it collapses.
spoken by pure truth.
We had a president who did this.. used the USD reserves to push the Mexican peso upwards.

As soon he left the office.. we got caught in a huge recession. There were barely any reserve left, the Mexican peso lost 50% of its value in a mere month.
Business tanked as well, Mostly because this clown had authorized the NAFTA first version (which greatly gave a lot of business areas to multinationals from the USA. Also increased by how many USA areas, were refusing to accept the NAFTA agreements on letting mexican products freeflow into the USA. including silly lawsuits for blocking the Mexican TUNA and CONCRETE).

Suffice to say, mere months after leaving office. He fled to France for years.

doctornick

Considering their over-reliance on "gritty" Batman. If I was DC, I would definitively be worried.

As for DC... they seem to concentrate on the TV market segment more. The Flash is doing very well and Daredevil too.

Daredevil and all the Netflix shows (AKA Jessica Jones coming up) are Marvel.

DC has actually done a great job with their TV universe of Arrow and Flash with Legends of Tomorrow coming this year. But I think they are making a big mistake having it detached from their movie universe. They already have two different people who will be playing The Flash at the same time, which is not ideal.

culturenthrills

Without going off on too much of an unwanted tangent, I will say that I don't agree. There are many numbers that matter. If MLS is only strong in a few markets, which I believe is the case, then that skews the numbers.

There are some conclusions that you can draw:

Soccer is gaining popularity;
MLS is popular in certain markets;
It still trails by a large margin the NBA and NHL in other key metrics.

I will say I am pretty impressed with how well Orlando City has done in their first season in the MLS attendance and interest wise. MLS will fail in Miami.

Animaniac93-98

Hunchback original cast recording given a release date:

"The American Premiere Studio Recording of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the only stage collaboration from two masters of the American musical, Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz, will be released on Friday, November 20th 2015. iTunes pre-orders will be accepted beginning October 23rd. To sign-up for pre-sale information, visit http://sh-k-boom.com/hunchback-of-notre-dame....

....The rights to The Hunchback of Notre Dame are now available for professional theatre productions, licensed exclusively through Music Theatre International"

http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news...back-of-notre-dame-stage-show-to-be-released/

Does a certain faux top 1% have enough money to produce a production for Chicago or Toronto? :D ;)

Cesar R M

Daredevil and all the Netflix shows (AKA Jessica Jones coming up) are Marvel.

DC has actually done a great job with their TV universe of Arrow and Flash with Legends of Tomorrow coming this year. But I think they are making a big mistake having it detached from their movie universe. They already have two different people who will be playing The Flash at the same time, which is not ideal.
you're correct, dumb me. Daredevil and Elektra are all Marvel.

I should have said ARROW and FLASH. plus the new tv series supposed come from DC characters.

PhotoDave219

Not to delve off the topic of Disney, but I just got three texts from some investment people to dump any and all China based stock including Alibaba. Alibaba is the darling of the Chinese stock market, to get a sell on them is not only shocking but deeply concerning. If there was one stock I thought that could go by unaffected it was Alibaba.

So I am picturing the end of trading places but a bad Chinese remake of it?

FigmentFreak

I'd be down for that tour. I've got my hand basket ready to go! :D

Been to Hell, it's on Grand Cayman. It's really just like Disney World. Nothing do to and lots of people standing in line to do it and buy cheap souvenirs while they're there. And I believe the DCL does stop at Grand Cayman so Disney will take you to hell if you're so inclined.

WDW1974

Original Poster
http://m.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/...so-long-with-the-overhaul/Content?oid=2410001

Also a well written article that sums up discussion over the past few days

Yes, kudos to @skubersky for penning it. Only criticism: not mentioning this forum as it is quite obvious that Mr. Donnelly either suddenly turned into this uber-bigtime 'insider' based at Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall or he borrowed information placed here by myself and others.

I also liked the shot about Shanghai Disneyland. Considering the way Disney has the media afraid to write a damn thing about China's Disney Resort that one comment almost counts as in-depth reporting.

I still think a great story would be touring the park with a family who paid full price for a day. But I do understand how nasty those people at Celebration Place will get if you do so.

Speaking of online sources of Disney Info, is it just me or has Micechat lost its voice? They no longer seem to be running anything newsy at all. Where's the column on how DLR's 60th has really been going? Where's the column on the whole $1 billion expansion and city politics (they voted last night to keep Disney tix tax free for another 30 years!)? Where's the column on what will be or won't be announced at D23 and the whys? Hell, where is their news on the disaster that is Shanghai Disney Resort? Something odd is up there. Very odd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom