Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

Matt_Black

Actually audible LOL'd on the train reading that.

George was far too happy to have Mickey and the gang pretend to be evil Vader and jedi. Kathleen... She actually respects her own work and that franchise.

There's "respecting the work" and "taking the work too seriously". George, for all his faults, didn't take things too seriously.

Nemo14

Maybe this is the start of changing of that attitude? Maybe they'll work on changing the paradigm?
perhaps...

Oh look!
pigs_fly.jpg

JordanNite

I see still no news?

Yawn. There will be no news. Iger doesn't spend money.

Seeing links about an upcoming Star Wars Land from 'insiders' in 2014 is utterly depressing.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
My point is Disney does not care about disappointing their most loyal fans (largely US) their focus these days on the 'One and Done' people who are worried about being seen as 'bad parents' if they don't take their kids to WDW. These people have no context to see that WDW is stale and a pale shadow of it's former glory.

If you went to Disney NOW with no prior knowledge you would probably think it's an amazing place. It's only the long term repeat visitor who knows how much is missing now from that experience.
I still think 3/4 of it is an amazing place.

But to my point, if they don't care about "us", they wouldn't care about us enough to try and discredit insiders that only "us" care about.

BrerJon

Disney is like the ex lover who says 'just give me one more try, I'll be different this time!'. You want to believe they've changed, and all their friends say they've changed, but it's still hard to have faith until they prove it. But you have to give them a chance, you can't just dismiss them completely.

Look at the rumours hinted at / suggested on here... 4 Billion plus budget, new Star Wars hotel in addition to a brand new DHS, new monorail, plus some things fixed up at Epcot, new management with new attitude in charge of things... if all the speculation comes off, it will be great, but every day does seem to bring some new incredible thing that the budget is supposed to be paying for, and all this talk of everything in WDW being fixed by one Board of Directors meeting, and a new golden age arriving, just seems way too good to be true, and setting things up for disappointment.

So inevitably whatever happens won't be as good as people are hoping for, but if we keep expectations low - a couple of nice rides and mini-lands for DHS, a few broken lightbulbs fixed across the rest of the property, then we can be pleasantly surprised if we get anything more, instead of bitterly disappointed they didn't give us what we hoped for.

EDIT: Edited to be less offensive!

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Disney is like the abusive lover who says 'just give me one more try, I'll be different this time!'. You want to believe they've changed, and all their friends say they've changed, but it's still hard to have faith until they prove it. But you have to give them a chance, you can't just dismiss them completely.

Look at the rumours hinted at / suggested on here... 4 Billion plus budget, new Star Wars hotel in addition to a brand new DHS, new monorail, plus some things fixed up at Epcot, new management with new attitude in charge of things... if all the speculation comes off, it will be great, but every day does seem to bring some new incredible thing that the budget is supposed to be paying for, and all this talk of everything in WDW being fixed by one Board of Directors meeting, and a new golden age arriving, just seems way too good to be true, and setting things up for disappointment.

So inevitably whatever happens won't be as good as people are hoping for, but if we keep expectations low - a couple of nice rides and mini-lands for DHS, a few broken lightbulbs fixed across the rest of the property, then we can be pleasantly surprised if we get anything more, instead of bitterly disappointed they didn't give us what we hoped for.

I wanted to read this post but could not get past the abusive lover analogy. yowser that is a bit much.

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, so I was last here (or logged in here) Friday night and we were on page 79 as the clock ticked to Saturday. Now, we're on Monday evening and on 103. And I haven't said a word. What happened?

Oh ... yeah ... I was right (I hate to say I told you so, even with good news, but I did see it coming) and others have heard the same thing? Has Disney announced additional closures yet (look for Animation, One Man's Dream and the Honey playground to shortly shutter) or has a Lifestyler heard this from CMs at Disney-MGM who are being told?

More importantly, are my fans in the Twivterse pretending that this isn't happening because sometimes I can be a bit ... a bit ... blunt ... and I send them to bed crying into their Figgy (soon to be replaced by Bing Bong?) plush?

You must realize that despite my personal 'fan club' here that I'd much rather place out news that will make the vast majority of you smile than grimace or shed a tear. Well, the time has come (even we have a long five years of closures, price hikes, construction walls and bit by bit announcements to follow). And while I make no guarantees about all of what's going to happen, I will say that some (if left largely intact) will be top quality product.

My advice, though, don't spend money on WDW in 2015. There's nothing new and nothing worth your time and $$$. Next year? If you are a big fan of DAK and/or Frozen, then do it. If not, wait a few years at least. Visit UNI/SEAS/Busch if you are coming to FL. Better yet, visit parks elsewhere be they in the USA or abroad. ... Do so with the knowledge that one day (maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but sorta soon and until they tear them down for lesser attractions) some really kewl stuff is finally going to sprout in the swamps.

P.S. I'm also quite right about Disney's troubles in China, but most of you either know that, don't care or both!

Captain Neo

If the rumors are true that a good size chunk of the backlot area and animation courtyard is being bulldozed just to make way for a FL version of Toy Story Land from HK with basically themed up off the shelf rides I will be severely disappointed in John Lasseter

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They are not morons but the factor of most interest is GROSS MARGIN so even if attendance was down slightly after the closure of 5 attractions if the GROSS MARGIN went up for the park in the aggregate then the decision to close the attractions was a good one and had 'no material effect' on the park's BUSINESS operations, The BoD is not really interested in 'guest experience' as long as they keep spending money.
The board members don't care about guest experience because they are a bunch of nice guys who just want your vacation to be "magical". The BoD is interested in guest experience because happy guests stay longer, visit more frequently and spend more while they are there. This was proven with DCA. You are assuming actual park gross margin for DHS is up, but we don't have any actual numbers to support that. Costs are obviously down, but attendance isn't exactly strong like Dave was saying and we have no idea where guest spending numbers are for the park for food and merchandise. I think they may be looking at much less healthy numbers than you suspect just based on attendance not bottoming out. How many unique, 1 day tickets are sold for DHS vs the other parks? How many hours do guests spend in the park? How much do they spend compared to the other parks?

If only they had a system that tracked guest behavior and gave them all these numbers to compare :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Plans change...all the time.

That is true. And I expect these plans to morph somewhat. But the key is somewhat. Just like the Extreme Makeover: Theme Park Edition Season 1 played out at DCA (things that were going to happen didn't, others did ... and some things wound up happening anyway -- Condor Flats being devoured by the Grizzly Peak NP theme -- did a few years later!), I'd expect similar to happen this go around.

The one important thing is: the project is moving forward (projects, actually) and they are major and they have funding. And that funding won't suddenly move to China or Paris or the new CP/Interactive hybrid that was announced today or even to securing the Potter film rights for another decade for ABC Family!

Nope, this be happening. (Should I do a patented Spirit Be Right Yet Again Dance?)

El Grupo

If the rumors are true that a good size chunk of the backlot area and animation courtyard is being bulldozed just to make way for a FL version of Toy Story Land from HK with basically themed up off the shelf rides I will be severely disappointed in John Lasseter

Just curious, where are you seeing/hearing such rumors?

ToTBellHop

OK, so I was last here (or logged in here) Friday night and we were on page 79 as the clock ticked to Saturday. Now, we're on Monday evening and on 103. And I haven't said a word. What happened?

Oh ... yeah ... I was right (I hate to say I told you so, even with good news, but I did see it coming) and others have heard the same thing? Has Disney announced additional closures yet (look for Animation, One Man's Dream and the Honey playground to shortly shutter) or has a Lifestyler heard this from CMs at Disney-MGM who are being told?

More importantly, are my fans in the Twivterse pretending that this isn't happening because sometimes I can be a bit ... a bit ... blunt ... and I send them to bed crying into their Figgy (soon to be replaced by Bing Bong?) plush?

You must realize that despite my personal 'fan club' here that I'd much rather place out news that will make the vast majority of you smile than grimace or shed a tear. Well, the time has come (even we have a long five years of closures, price hikes, construction walls and bit by bit announcements to follow). And while I make no guarantees about all of what's going to happen, I will say that some (if left largely intact) will be top quality product.

My advice, though, don't spend money on WDW in 2015. There's nothing new and nothing worth your time and $$$. Next year? If you are a big fan of DAK and/or Frozen, then do it. If not, wait a few years at least. Visit UNI/SEAS/Busch if you are coming to FL. Better yet, visit parks elsewhere be they in the USA or abroad. ... Do so with the knowledge that one day (maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but sorta soon and until they tear them down for lesser attractions) some really kewl stuff is finally going to sprout in the swamps.

P.S. I'm also quite right about Disney's troubles in China, but most of you either know that, don't care or both!
yes, OMD and Animation are closing in two weeks. Nothing on HISTK yet though that is obviously no surprise.

So Figment is finally getting a facelift. Inside-out is great and if they just add the bugs to Living with the Land, Future World West will be Pixarland!

Captain Neo

That is true. And I expect these plans to morph somewhat. But the key is somewhat. Just like the Extreme Makeover: Theme Park Edition Season 1 played out at DCA (things that were going to happen didn't, others did ... and some things wound up happening anyway -- Condor Flats being devoured by the Grizzly Peak NP theme -- did a few years later!), I'd expect similar to happen this go around.

The one important thing is: the project is moving forward (projects, actually) and they are major and they have funding. And that funding won't suddenly move to China or Paris or the new CP/Interactive hybrid that was announced today or even to securing the Potter film rights for another decade for ABC Family!

Nope, this be happening. (Should I do a patented Spirit Be Right Yet Again Dance?)

Like I said on another page though while new projects are a breath of fresh air they still won't resolve the fundamental issues of WDW including the unwillingness of management to close rides throughout the year for needed refurbishments, maintaining basic upkeep and maintenance of attractions (broken AA's and special effects should be unacceptable), the lowering of food quality & hotel standards, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom