Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

hopemax

To what end, though?

There's no real benefit from a corporate standpoint. If they are looking to plug leaks, large information like this that is going to spill over each other isn't the way to do it.

Disney doesn't care about the fan community to toy with them to this extent. Given that this is coming from multiple from directions and multiple sources, lends to credence that at this point in time there is a degree of truth to the information.

I don't take the information as "wrong" or "plugging leaks" or "toying" But look at how fast word got out about the Tiered pricing, and then the EMH stuff. Somebody was surprised that their wife found out about the EMH rumors through Facebook. This may be a case where Disney wants all of this out there to generate even greater than normal "positive buzz." If they are spending as much, as being discussed, it's less risky if everyone gets really excited about it, and it may even be easier to slide in stuff like tiered pricing, and half of DHS being closed because now fans know it's "justified" because OMG they are spending $5 Trillion on Star Wars!!!!!

BrianLo

Well you will have to forgive my conjecture......as an outsider one must wonder. From my vantage point it seems like all of the sudden the "insiders" received info about the budget at the same time.

Or... you know... the BOD just met in Florida and approved the budget. Hence there is "suddenly" a budget to talk about.

I've learned to keep a healthy skepticism, but there are too many team doom and gloomers suddenly living in optimism-land for there not to be truth to the rumours.

jakeman

I don't take the information as "wrong" or "plugging leaks" or "toying" But look at how fast word got out about the Tiered pricing, and then the EMH stuff. Somebody was surprised that their wife found out about the EMH rumors through Facebook. This may be a case where Disney wants all of this out there to generate even greater than normal "positive buzz." If they are spending as much, as being discussed, it's less risky if everyone gets really excited about it, and it may even be easier to slide in stuff like tiered pricing, and half of DHS being closed because now fans know it's "justified" because OMG they are spending $5 Trillion on Star Wars!!!!!
Intentional or unintentional, I'm unsure why it matters? I believe the general question is truthfulness or untruthfulness.

What some seem to be insinuating (not necessarily you) is that this is false information being deliberately placed out in the fan community for unknown scurrilous purposes. Apologies if I'm misinterpreting the tone of these comments.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Intentional or unintentional, I'm unsure why it matters? I believe the general question is truthfulness or untruthfulness.

What some seem to be insinuating (not necessarily you) is that this is false information being deliberately placed out in the fan community for unknown scurrilous purposes. Apologies if I'm misinterpreting the tone of these comments.
A sniff test would be who benefits from leaking a overly high budget? Disney whips up a VERY small and critical fanbase, knowing that they will be "disappointing" them in the near future if a much smaller budget comes out. How would this even begin to benefit Disney?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wouldn't be surprised. The tone around forum lands the last year or two, is pretty negative at worst, ambivalent at best. So bright shiny objects all around. Can you tell, I'm having trouble getting excited about all of this. I'm not sure it's all coming from the right place "we have a great property, that we can do great things with that will make you happy, and us a lot of money, win-win." I feel more like "managed manipulation." Where's Fox Mulder's "I want to believe" poster and the Cigarette Smoking Man lurking, and pulling strings. How can they get Frozen so wrong, but this will be so right? I don't trust it, other than SW has been so big, for so long, that it's just easier to hit the target for both marketing/synergy peeps, fanbois, and probably the Imagineers who have been chomping at the bit for something big stateside.

Like I said before - I no longer believe WDW news unless it's about closures those ALWAYS happen, I'll start with guarded enthusiasm when things start going vertical, Otherwise its simply PR spin.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
At the cost of a massive disappointed fanbase? Seems like a lot more of a loss than a win. Discredit 4-5 people, open themselves up to vitriol from thousands of disappointed fanbois.

Disney is all about controlling the social media message, They don't want the critics upsetting the 'soccer mom' crowd thats why we have the 'Moms Panel' does it include guys like Spirit, Martin or Steve who collectively generate millions of Disney related page views,

No it has characters like Fadra Nally who's blog on the big invitiation only social media event garnered 87 count em 87 page views. Oh and she gets free trips cruises etc But they can trot her out on facebook and the DPB as an 'Expert' on being a mom taking your kids to Disney.

Disney's big fear is the overall staleness of WDW going viral and affecting bookings, That's why its important to discredit critics of Todays WDW

BrerJon

And what happened around the same time? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

The economy was a good excuse then, but it's not anymore. So Disney, about that Spaceship Earth descent... or is that the tiny thing Epcot's getting out of this?

If they're still leaving it unfinished it's a clear sign the leopard hasn't changed its spots.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Disney is all about controlling the social media message, They don't want the critics upsetting the 'soccer mom' crowd thats why we have the 'Moms Panel' does it include guys like Spirit, Martin or Steve who collectively generate millions of Disney related page views,

No it has characters like Fadra Nally who's blog on the big invitiation only social media event garnered 87 count em 87 page views. Oh and she gets free trips cruises etc But they can trot her out on facebook and the DPB as an 'Expert' on being a mom taking your kids to Disney.

Disney's big fear is the overall staleness of WDW going viral and affecting bookings, That's why its important to discredit critics of Todays WDW
Again, if their worry is controlling a fanbase from spreading a bad message about WDW, disappointing a huge number of them to discredit a couple seems like cutting off their nose to spite their face.
I've run the numbers with you before on someone like Fadra, and know we disagree on the potential impact of their social media policy, but that aside, purposefully trolling a fanbase to "discredit" a couple people that not everyone believes in the first place seems like a small gain, massive loss.

lazyboy97o

Just got home after 9 days in FL. Things got a little crazy, didn't it? With all of this money flying around, my first thoughts were, who is going to design everything? SW both coasts, Pixar, TDL stuff, Marvel... I've been out of the loop, I don't even remember who is left at Imagineering, and who has responsibilities where, other than Joe and AK, obviously. So would it be okay to speculate about who might get what?
Scott Trowbridge
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...new-dedicated-star-wars-studio-at-wdi.883256/

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
The economy was a good excuse then, but it's not anymore. So Disney, about that Spaceship Earth descent... or is that the tiny thing Epcot's getting out of this?

If they're still leaving it unfinished it's a clear sign the leopard hasn't changed its spots.
Unless that is to come in a later budget. Barring a huge conspiracy here, we're looking at massive work on DHS, DAK, following major work at MK.
Yes, Epcot is getting garbage, but it has for years and I don't expect change there. People still turn the turnstiles there for the privilege of spending tons of money to get drunk and fill their pie holes. They have so much less of a motive to lift their finger there until DHS and DAK are complete and start challenging Epcot in attendance.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Again, if their worry is controlling a fanbase from spreading a bad message about WDW, disappointing a huge number of them to discredit a couple seems like cutting off their nose to spite their face.
I've run the numbers with you before on someone like Fadra, and know we disagree on the potential impact of their social media policy, but that aside, purposefully trolling a fanbase to "discredit" a couple people that not everyone believes in the first place seems like a small gain, massive loss.

My point is Disney does not care about disappointing their most loyal fans (largely US) their focus these days on the 'One and Done' people who are worried about being seen as 'bad parents' if they don't take their kids to WDW. These people have no context to see that WDW is stale and a pale shadow of it's former glory.

If you went to Disney NOW with no prior knowledge you would probably think it's an amazing place. It's only the long term repeat visitor who knows how much is missing now from that experience.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Maybe peter can go find the footers.....

Actually audible LOL'd on the train reading that.

Maybe. Maybe not. Its not his company anymore. Kathleen Kennedy is the head of Lucasfilm these days... and frankly, I'd rather have her being the final sign-off than George Lucas.

George was far too happy to have Mickey and the gang pretend to be evil Vader and jedi. Kathleen... She actually respects her own work and that franchise.

PhotoDave219

My point is Disney does not care about disappointing their most loyal fans (largely US) their focus these days on the 'One and Done' people who are worried about being seen as 'bad parents' if they don't take their kids to WDW. These people have no context to see that WDW is stale and a pale shadow of it's former glory.

If you went to Disney NOW with no prior knowledge you would probably think it's an amazing place. It's only the long term repeat visitor who knows how much is missing now from that experience.

Maybe this is the start of changing of that attitude? Maybe they'll work on changing the paradigm?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom