Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No. I agree with @marni1971 in they could have done retractable, but that's a LOT of lifts (which is also a lot of lifts to potentially fail)
How many of the tall poles are there? IIRC the old hub has six, that's not too many to telescope. Especially compared to Showcase with its mix of telescopes and retrofitted parcan racks on the rooftops. Just annoys me the most intrusive and unthemed poles could be hidden during the daytime and night shows.

betty rose

Well, the grass is a terrible place to eat. I prefer a freshly cleaned stall. You've already got a seat, so all you need is a TV tray which I always carry with me. Plus, you've got sinks to wash your hands when you're done. Think of all the unhygienic shoes that have touched the grass. Yucky, with a capital Y!
What about all those yucky, finger readers at the park entrance! That's yucky!

TomP

How many of the tall poles are there? IIRC the old hub has six, that's not too many to telescope. Especially compared to Showcase with its mix of telescopes and retrofitted parcan racks on the rooftops. Just annoys me the most intrusive and unthemed poles could be hidden during the daytime and night shows.
I haven't seen these in person, so I don't know if the placement is symmetrical around the hub or what. Anyhow, I had a prof in a design class once that taught that if you can't make an element in a design "fade away", then treat the element as part of your design and use it to enhance. So for the parade lighting poles, maybe something like this could be done (with the parade lighting at the top, obviously).
light pole.jpg
LOL...sorry about the snowflakes (too Frozen), but something theme appropriate.

jlthomas81

And people here thought that there would be no foot traffic plans for the outer ring and they would just leave the crowds to fend for themselves. It's pretty clear from that last picture that a good portion of the outer ring will be used as a pathway during the fireworks.

Kudos to Disney on this redevelopment. It's a gorgeous addition to the hub and will make fireworks and parades in that area less of a nightmare. I'm having a hard time seeing how this was a bad idea.

It also appears from that picture that they actually put lines into the pavement, instead of having to have CM's tape it off every night....does anyone else see that?

wdizneew

It also appears from that picture that they actually put lines into the pavement, instead of having to have CM's tape it off every night....does anyone else see that?

It looks like tape on the ground, but I do hope you're right that they put lines in the pavement. It'll be especially helpful when the ground is moist/wet and the tape can't be used. Oh and also cut the cost and help the environment by not using a ton of tape. Can anyone confirm whether it was tape or lines in pavement?

ABQ

It looks like tape on the ground, but I do hope you're right that they put lines in the pavement. It'll be especially helpful when the ground is moist/wet and the tape can't be used. Oh and also cut the cost and help the environment by not using a ton of tape. Can anyone confirm whether it was tape or lines in pavement?
I wish I were the 3M sales rep to WDW, they appear to go through miles of tape each day.

Bolt

Nope.

midwest_mice

Doesn't Hollywood Studios have lines on the pavement from the parades that were there?

Sage of Time

Will they even need to tape/line the pavement? New capacity in the hub could cut down on crowds.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

Doesn't Hollywood Studios have lines on the pavement from the parades that were there?

I believe those lines are still there on Sunset Blvd and they are mostly used to contain the Fantasmic! crowds waiting for the second show. It has been almost a year since I have been to see Fantasmic! last and I got there so early that we went right into the theatre area, so I can't be sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom