Toy Story Playland

Kman101

Monstropolis works too. But they could easily theme the entrance to the former Tour and area around that into Monstropolis.

There's lots of options and possibility for this park.

They could also remove SoA just to open it all up and because, like GoofGoof said, it just wouldn't "fit" anymore, which actually didn't cross my mind. IDK, I kind of like the streets and think they could fit. I just want to be impressed with this makeover and them do things that make sense.

Fox&Hound

It's funny. I come to this site daily. I need my Disney fix. I look for rumors and see if I can figure out what Disney is up to currently (Avatar, Hollywood Studios, Pixar Place, etc). But so far, especially with this project, little is known. And, maybe it's a good thing. I think Disney has learned from Uni (Kong being built with no announcement) that sometimes these project are best left vague and in the dark. Then, they can surprise us when they're done. Were we, as obsessed fans, any better for knowing every detail of NFL beforehand? Were we better to spend the years analyzing every detail? I think many were disappointed when they saw the finished area because they had already spent so much time analyzing, complaining about it, or looking at the vision/budget change as the project progressed. In this internet age we become obsessed with the details and maybe Disney has realized that more fans will be better off kept in the dark so we don't tear every little thing apart. Look at Avatar. They revealed that info way too early and now a lot of hardcore fans have decided the already hate it. Would they enjoy it more if it was just revealed one day? Maybe...It's killing me because I want details and I want to know the plan but I wonder if D23 will come and go without much information. I kinda think Disney will keep quiet on this and then as it gets closer to being finished they will tell us what we're about to see. Knowing info ahead of time can certainly build anticipation and create a buzz, but more than often, with theme parks, I think it leads to disappointment. Haha, once I post this, the main page will have a big announcement ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Monstropolis works too. But they could easily theme the entrance to the former Tour and area around that into Monstropolis.

There's lots of options and possibility for this park.

They could also remove SoA just to open it all up and because, like GoofGoof said, it just wouldn't "fit" anymore, which actually didn't cross my mind. IDK, I kind of like the streets and think they could fit. I just want to be impressed with this makeover and them do things that make sense.
The streets could be repurposed to fit in. Since the movie studio theme for the park is dead it doesn't make sense to have a street of fake movie props. I do kinda hope they find a way to keep Streets of America with a repurposed theme since Osborne Lights is a great experience and should be continued. I don't have a lot of confidence they would move the sets somewhere else if they remove them from DHS which means the lights would be at risk.

DinoInstitute

The streets could be repurposed to fit in. Since the movie studio theme for the park is dead it doesn't make sense to have a street of fake movie props. I do kinda hope they find a way to keep Streets of America with a repurposed theme since Osborne Lights is a great experience and should be continued. I don't have a lot of confidence they would move the sets somewhere else if they remove them from DHS which means the lights would be at risk.
Maybe they could do some sort of Osborne lights thing down Hollywood and Sunset Boulevard?

Fox&Hound

I was looking at pics of the new Disney Springs and noticed one section (over by the lego store maybe or old PI) and all the store fronts looked almost like homes). Got me excited that maybe they'd move them there. I know most have said they'd never do that as there is no ticket price but 1.) it would give people a reason to leave the parks at night to go check it out which would help disperse crowds 2) It would bring out locals 3) Imagine the food they could serve. Especially if they set up booths like food and wine....

The Osborne (sp?) lights are without a doubt one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Would be devastated to see them go for good.

doctornick

Honestly I just don't see what plan could call for the demo of Streets of America except for them placing Cars Land right there. The backlot area is very big.

Unless Star Wars is taking over that entire section instead of the Indy/behind Indy area.

Otherwise, why bother removing them? I know it frees up space but I just don't see what could go there, except for one of those two above and even then there's space otherwise.

I tend to agree. There should be plenty of space to do a lot of Pixar stuff just using the Backlot Tour footprint (and LMA if indeed that will eventually go as has been rumored). That would also open up a lot more guest walkable areas in a park that often feels quite cramped.

It strikes me as more likely that they would need SoA for Star Wars, but they shouldn't have to -- if the entrance to the parking lot is re-routed, then you can easily expand backstage into the current access road and cast member parking. I don't think you would have to go into SoA. And that would allow the Muppets to remain, which I'd like (plus, I'd like to see Pizza Planet moved and use that space for a Muppets themed restaurant like Gonzo's or the Swedish Chef).

I'm a huge proponent of repurposing the SoA layout for Monstropolis. Obviously, this enables the Osborne lights to remain. The layout can remain as is, but just changing the scenery to "Monster themed" stuff. The Premiere Theater (where Frozen is now) can be changed to a relocated Laugh Floor. Mama Melrose can be redesigned into Harryhausen's restaurant. If you don't want to change HISTK into A Bug's Life, you could bulldoze and put a dark ride (Ride 'N Seek? Mike and Sully to the Rescue? The door coaster?) in that footprint.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

And the last night of the Osborne Lights.....Are they sending us a message????

B6jYblBIQAAV9mg.jpg

mousesteps

Mike S

I tend to agree. There should be plenty of space to do a lot of Pixar stuff just using the Backlot Tour footprint (and LMA if indeed that will eventually go as has been rumored). That would also open up a lot more guest walkable areas in a park that often feels quite cramped.

It strikes me as more likely that they would need SoA for Star Wars, but they shouldn't have to -- if the entrance to the parking lot is re-routed, then you can easily expand backstage into the current access road and cast member parking. I don't think you would have to go into SoA. And that would allow the Muppets to remain, which I'd like (plus, I'd like to see Pizza Planet moved and use that space for a Muppets themed restaurant like Gonzo's or the Swedish Chef).

I'm a huge proponent of repurposing the SoA layout for Monstropolis. Obviously, this enables the Osborne lights to remain. The layout can remain as is, but just changing the scenery to "Monster themed" stuff. The Premiere Theater (where Frozen is now) can be changed to a relocated Laugh Floor. Mama Melrose can be redesigned into Harryhausen's restaurant. If you don't want to change HISTK into A Bug's Life, you could bulldoze and put a dark ride (Ride 'N Seek? Mike and Sully to the Rescue? The door coaster?) in that footprint.
SoA would be perfect as Monstropolis. Ride N' Go Seek would be a great addition but I think they would need to make some changes to increase its capacity since the ride vehicles are pretty similar to the ones in TSMM.

doctornick

Hmm, I've kind of reminded myself of something -- I wonder if the $1.2-1.6B (or whatever) for DHS includes the proposed parking changes. There's been talk that the a new access road and toll plaza would be build, so the one from World Drive would close and that parking could be expanded and/or parking decks added.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hmm, I've kind of reminded myself of something -- I wonder if the $1.2-1.6B (or whatever) for DHS includes the proposed parking changes. There's been talk that the a new access road and toll plaza would be build, so the one from World Drive would close and that parking could be expanded and/or parking decks added.
Redoing some of the parking lot is doable. A parking deck or new access road would be expensive. Could be part of the total cost.

Goofywilliam

I think if it's removed it will be because it makes no sense in the new park layout. I would assume they would use it for Pixar expansion. Spirit mentioned cars, but it would make a decent Monstropilis too:)
So glad someone mentioned this! I have always thought the same exact thing! It would also make a decent setting for rides related to movies such as wreck it ralph, big hero 6, the incredibles and probably many more i can not think of. The city atmosphere can be manipulated and changed so easily and can also be very diverse, representing all the different places these movies take place.

flyerjab

So I just saw that Wandering Oakens is now closed. Since this is back in the proposed Pixar area, I was wondering if anyother places have been scheduled to be closing. I know at one point last year some of the smaller locations around that part of the park supposedly had no dates on the calendar after October/November (like the HISTK play area and some smaller eating areas I believe). I was wondering if there were any updates at all. I am assuming from some of the rumors mentioned in the forums that the HISTK area was potentially being rethemed to A Bug's Life play area which would fit nicely into the Pixar Land area and add to the total of kid friendly attractions that will be magically appearing at some point in the future.

RSoxNo1

So I just saw that Wandering Oakens is now closed. Since this is back in the proposed Pixar area, I was wondering if anyother places have been scheduled to be closing. I know at one point last year some of the smaller locations around that part of the park supposedly had no dates on the calendar after October/November (like the HISTK play area and some smaller eating areas I believe). I was wondering if there were any updates at all. I am assuming from some of the rumors mentioned in the forums that the HISTK area was potentially being rethemed to A Bug's Life play area which would fit nicely into the Pixar Land area and add to the total of kid friendly attractions that will be magically appearing at some point in the future.
Was yesterday the last day of operation?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom