Toy Story Playland

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
True. That's a valid point. Both Potter lands and Carsland were really only 1 headliner and in the case of Carsland 2 C tickets and in the case of WWOHP 2 repurposed rides. In all 3 cases the overall environment was more than enough to overcome the lack of rides added. I think this will apply to Star Wars (hopefully) with this project. I view the Pixar side of the project to be more to add volume. However, if they fail to add at least 1 headliner type ride (D or E ticket) then it will be highly criticized by most fans (including me).

I really think the Springfield area was a nice addition, but if they put that into DHS people would definitely be more critical. It's hard to slam Universal for it when they were building so many other things. They get a free pass from most. I think that if FLE happened in 1995 or if WDW would have been building multiple E-tickets in addition there would have been a lot less criticism.

This is being built because Carsland was too expensive, correct? I doubt we'll be getting a headliner or two until whatever is done for SW is done. However, DHS needs more rides/attractions. Doing this first, doesn't bother me. The park is over-concentrated in headliners as is. If this addition looks good, we may truly have a Pixar Place instead of just one lone attraction. Criticism is more than warranted for the pace at which Disney does things nowadays. I too have the fear that this will be a simple, fairly straightforward project that will take the better part of a decade. By the time it is finished it could be Avatar all over again as we have constant fights over whether or not SW land is going to happen since the 9th movie has been out for 2 years.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is being built because Carsland was too expensive, correct? I doubt we'll be getting a headliner or two until whatever is done for SW is done. However, DHS needs more rides/attractions. Doing this first, doesn't bother me. The park is over-concentrated in headliners as is. If this addition looks good, we may truly have a Pixar Place instead of just one lone attraction. Criticism is more than warranted for the pace at which Disney does things nowadays. I too have the fear that this will be a simple, fairly straightforward project that will take the better part of a decade. By the time it is finished it could be Avatar all over again as we have constant fights over whether or not SW land is going to happen since the 9th movie has been out for 2 years.
I don't really know if I've seen anyone say this is being built because Carsland was too expensive. The usual insiders here were all in agreement that the DHS budget was going to be quite large. I think both Lee and Martin said surprisingly large. I think WDW1974 said the budget was going to be at least as large as DCA 2.0 which ended up being somewhere between $1.2B and $1.6B depending on who you ask. I can't see them spending more than $800M on StarWarsLand (double FLE and about the same as the whole AK budget including Avatar, the night show and the other nighttime enhancements). That would leave somewhere in the range of $400M to $800M for Pixar. TSPL in Paris cost about $85M in total. Rounded to $100M for inflation that still leaves $300M to $700M for other stuff. That leaves plenty of money for something else. If they just build TSPL and StarWarsLand then that would be very disappointing and the rumors of budget size would be highly exaggerated.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I know that this has been mentioned in the main thread about the changes coming to Hollywood studios and even been rumored but today there was a quick blurb in the new Miceage update that said
"While the parks in both Shanghai and Tokyo are slated to get their own version of the ride, another clone of Mater’s will also show up in Orlando. A copy of the ride, re-themed to Woody from Toy Story, will be one of three small rides being added to a new Toy Story Playland area, to be built where much of the shuttered Backlot Tram Tour currently is at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The plans to directly clone Cars Land for WDW may have died at the hands of Orlando’s accountants, but at least one of the three Cars Land rides will make the trip to Florida, albeit with a different character and theme." Just more fuel to the fire of the Toy Story Playland coming to DHS?

I don't really know if I've seen anyone say this is being built because Carsland was too expensive. The usual insiders here were all in agreement that the DHS budget was going to be quite large. I think both Lee and Martin said surprisingly large. I think WDW1974 said the budget was going to be at least as large as DCA 2.0 which ended up being somewhere between $1.2B and $1.6B depending on who you ask. I can't see them spending more than $800M on StarWarsLand (double FLE and about the same as the whole AK budget including Avatar, the night show and the other nighttime enhancements). That would leave somewhere in the range of $400M to $800M for Pixar. TSPL in Paris cost about $85M in total. Rounded to $100M for inflation that still leaves $300M to $700M for other stuff. That leaves plenty of money for something else. If they just build TSPL and StarWarsLand then that would be very disappointing and the rumors of budget size would be highly exaggerated.

So, the OP is incorrect in the 3 small rides and accountants killed Carsland? I would assume that most of the money is slated for something expansive for SW. Though, they could throw a nice chunk of change into a really good Pixar themed dark ride of some kind and I would be a very happy camper. Maybe that could count as a small ride? I wouldn't think so. Who knows. Nothing has been officially announced correct? I've just learned to not get my hopes up.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So, the OP is incorrect in the 3 small rides and accountants killed Carsland? I would assume that most of the money is slated for something expansive for SW. Though, they could throw a nice chunk of change into a really good Pixar themed dark ride of some kind and I would be a very happy camper. Maybe that could count as a small ride? I wouldn't think so. Who knows. Nothing has been officially announced correct? I've just learned to not get my hopes up.
I don't really think anyone knows what's going to end up being part of this project. The only thing rumored so far to be coming is a version of TSPL. The original TSPL in Paris has 3 flat rides which is what they mean by 3 small rides. Several other sites have suggested that Slinky Dog and Parachute drop will not be cloned and it will just be RC Racer with 2 other Toy themed rides. There is much speculation that the Mater ride from DCA will be cloned but changed to a Woody's roundup ride and some here have speculated that possibly the new trackless Carsland ride that is replacing the failed Luigis tire ride could be the third ride, but re-themed to Toy Story. The part about TDO accountants killing a clone of Carsland is just fanboy chatter. This project is being run from the top. TDO execs have little or no say in what happens. The rumor of a full Carsland clone seemed to have died a long time ago as focus shifted to Star Wars.

Again, I don't know what's coming any more than anyone else. My speculation is based on what insiders said about the budget. If the budget is as big as DCA 2.0 it has to be more than just StarWarsLand and TSPL. DCA 2.0 included:
  1. Carsland
  2. TSMM
  3. LM ride (cloned in FLE)
  4. World of Color
  5. Buena Vista Street (new park entrance) including street cars
  6. Re-theming of Paradise Pier area
Here is what is rumored to be part of DHS so far:
  1. Star Wars
  2. TSPL including possibly 3 small rides
  3. 3rd track for TSMM
  4. Removal of BAH
  5. ????
  6. ????
I don't think StarWarsLand will be any larger in scale than Carsland and they already have 1 solid D/E ticket SW ride. So if you assume they add another E ticket and maybe a 3rd small SW ride (spinner, or possibly a walkthrough) plus the Cantina and a new theater for Jedi Training Academy that should be on par with the cost of Carsland.

World of Color is rumored to have cost about $75M to build. Around the same as TSPL.

The money use to build Buena Vista Street and redo parts of Paradise Pier should be more than enough to cover the cost of the 3rd track of TSMM, removing BAH and other infrastructure additions.

That leaves the money used to build both TSMM and LM in DCA not accounted for. Obviously since those rides exist at WDW already they won't be cloned but there should be room in the budget for 2 additional D ticket level rides. Could be a clone of one of the Monsters rides or maybe rat ride or something else.

Fox&Hound

Would love to see TSPL come to fruition, especially if the rides sound like higher caliber than the original. Re-themed maters-yes, please. A buzz ride in the same vein as the new luigi's- I'm intrigued. Even the RC ride, which yes is a bit of a carnival ride, sounds like a lot of fun and maybe even a little thrill. I get that Disney can't spend millions on every ride and that some rides are meant to spread out the crowds. We don't know what all is coming. I'd love to see a Cars/RSR type ride even if it is mostly indoors. They could use some of the same AA dark scenes from California and then have the big race indoors. Maybe you race against Lightning McQueen. Give me Flo's and maybe Cozy Cone for some more dining options and I'd be super excited. Save the big money for Star Wars. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan and this makes sense to me. But the park needs more capacity. Insiders said that we're getting Toy Story, Cars, and Star Wars so we're safe to assume that TSPL isn't all we're getting. And ya know what, I think it looks fun.....

Mike S

I don't really think anyone knows what's going to end up being part of this project. The only thing rumored so far to be coming is a version of TSPL. The original TSPL in Paris has 3 flat rides which is what they mean by 3 small rides. Several other sites have suggested that Slinky Dog and Parachute drop will not be cloned and it will just be RC Racer with 2 other Toy themed rides. There is much speculation that the Mater ride from DCA will be cloned but changed to a Woody's roundup ride and some here have speculated that possibly the new trackless Carsland ride that is replacing the failed Luigis tire ride could be the third ride, but re-themed to Toy Story. The part about TDO accountants killing a clone of Carsland is just fanboy chatter. This project is being run from the top. TDO execs have little or no say in what happens. The rumor of a full Carsland clone seemed to have died a long time ago as focus shifted to Star Wars.

Again, I don't know what's coming any more than anyone else. My speculation is based on what insiders said about the budget. If the budget is as big as DCA 2.0 it has to be more than just StarWarsLand and TSPL. DCA 2.0 included:
  1. Carsland
  2. TSMM
  3. LM ride (cloned in FLE)
  4. World of Color
  5. Buena Vista Street (new park entrance) including street cars
  6. Re-theming of Paradise Pier area
Here is what is rumored to be part of DHS so far:
  1. Star Wars
  2. TSPL including possibly 3 small rides
  3. 3rd track for TSMM
  4. Removal of BAH
  5. ????
  6. ????
I don't think StarWarsLand will be any larger in scale than Carsland and they already have 1 solid D/E ticket SW ride. So if you assume they add another E ticket and maybe a 3rd small SW ride (spinner, or possibly a walkthrough) plus the Cantina and a new theater for Jedi Training Academy that should be on par with the cost of Carsland.

World of Color is rumored to have cost about $75M to build. Around the same as TSPL.

The money use to build Buena Vista Street and redo parts of Paradise Pier should be more than enough to cover the cost of the 3rd track of TSMM, removing BAH and other infrastructure additions.

That leaves the money used to build both TSMM and LM in DCA not accounted for. Obviously since those rides exist at WDW already they won't be cloned but there should be room in the budget for 2 additional D ticket level rides. Could be a clone of one of the Monsters rides or maybe rat ride or something else.
I believe insiders have said the budget for TSMM and World of Color were outside the $1 billion makeover.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I believe insiders have said the budget for TSMM and World of Color were outside the $1 billion makeover.
Honestly, I didn't follow the project that close. I was using Mice Chat's project tracker which includes both.
http://micechat.com/forums/disneyla...y-california-adventure-project-tracker-x.html

I think I read somewhere that both those projects were greenlit before the major overhaul was announced so it's unclear if they are included in the original budget of not. There is also a discrepancy between the $1.1B budget found in most major media articles and the actual spend which I've seen rumored to have been as high as $1.6B.

The point is even without TSMM or WOC there would still be some room left for more than just TSPL and a 3rd track for TSMM. The work on the front entrance and Buena Vista Street was extensive (and I'm sure expensive) and there is nothing equivalent needed at DHS. They also rethemed some of the Paradise Pier shops and rides to more classic Disney characters.

I have no inside information myself and these are only my theories based on available information. You guys could very well be right and the project will just be TSPL and Star Wars. I'm choosing to be optimistic and hoping for something more. Until we get some additional information or official announcements it's all just speculation at this point anyway.

Mike S

Honestly, I didn't follow the project that close. I was using Mice Chat's project tracker which includes both.
http://micechat.com/forums/disneyla...y-california-adventure-project-tracker-x.html

I think I read somewhere that both those projects were greenlit before the major overhaul was announced so it's unclear if they are included in the original budget of not. There is also a discrepancy between the $1.1B budget found in most major media articles and the actual spend which I've seen rumored to have been as high as $1.6B.

The point is even without TSMM or WOC there would still be some room left for more than just TSPL and a 3rd track for TSMM. The work on the front entrance and Buena Vista Street was extensive (and I'm sure expensive) and there is nothing equivalent needed at DHS. They also rethemed some of the Paradise Pier shops and rides to more classic Disney characters.

I have no inside information myself and these are only my theories based on available information. You guys could very well be right and the project will just be TSPL and Star Wars. I'm choosing to be optimistic and hoping for something more. Until we get some additional information or official announcements it's all just speculation at this point anyway.
I agree with you that we will probably get more than just TSPL for Pixar. The point you bring up about Buena Vista Street and how we don't need something that extensive is a really good one. Same with the things that went on in Paradise Pier and how we don't need rethemes like that, just the new rides/lands. I was just making a slight correction on TSMM and WoC based on the info I've read. Someone will probably come in soon and clear that up.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
From Spirits last thread:

First, let's get this out of the way: Stars, Cars and Toys are coming to The Park Soon To Be Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios ... it will always be TPFKaTD-MGMS to me anyway.

Budgets have been approved. The scope of the total budget is less than what NGE cost, but around what DCA 2.0 got (spread out over five years starting right now).

When questioned further on the budget he clarified:

TWDC played with that budget too. The figure they widely circulated was $1.2 billion, BUT that didn't include TSMM, WoC, the new Pixar Parade, all those night fests etc. The figure most in the business use when all of that is factored in is somewhere north of $1.6 billion.

So I think that clears up the discrepancy.

Mike S

From Spirits last thread:

When questioned further on the budget he clarified:

So I think that clears up the discrepancy.
Well that clears that up. If the DHS budget is $1.6 billion that should be enough to turn the park around into a full day experience. Disney just has to realize most of that needs to go to rides and we should be good to go. I wonder if the official announcement will come this year when they're supposed to announce Star Wars. This could be a very exciting D23 this year for WDW fans :D

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well that clears that up. If the DHS budget is $1.6 billion that should be enough to turn the park around into a full day experience. Disney just has to realize most of that needs to go to rides and we should be good to go. I wonder if the official announcement will come this year when they're supposed to announce Star Wars. This could be a very exciting D23 this year for WDW fans :D
Spirit hasn't had a chance to post much since he wrote those things so I'm not sure if anything has changed since he originally posted it. I believe that @Lee and @marni1971 both said the budget was big. Not sure if either confirmed it was as big as DCA. @PhotoDave219 was also saying that his sources heard the Star Wars project had its own separate budget from the rest of the park overhaul. Based on all of this I'm hopeful that there's a lot more to this than TSPL and the Star Wars project. Disney seems to be doing a better job than usual of keeping the project details secret. Maybe they still haven't settled on the final versions of all of the moving pieces.

PhotoDave219

Spirit hasn't had a chance to post much since he wrote those things so I'm not sure if anything has changed since he originally posted it. I believe that @Lee and @marni1971 both said the budget was big. Not sure if either confirmed it was as big as DCA. @PhotoDave219 was also saying that his sources heard the Star Wars project had its own separate budget from the rest of the park overhaul. Based on all of this I'm hopeful that there's a lot more to this than TSPL and the Star Wars project. Disney seems to be doing a better job than usual of keeping the project details secret. Maybe they still haven't settled on the final versions of all of the moving pieces.

Ask Lee. IDk. Things are constantly changing and I haven't asked for any update.

doctornick

Yes, it interesting that few, if any, details have leaked about what is coming to DHS. What we seem to know:

1. The budget is in the $1.2-1.6B. This may or may not include the Star Wars portion of any expansion
2. The Hat is leaving (soon)
3. The Pixar expansion will feature Toy Story and Cars (and possibly nothing else)
3a. At least part of the Pixar expansion is some version of Toy Story Playland. Multiple sites have suggested one ride will be a variant of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree themed to Woody; other rides are less certain at this point.
4. The Osborne Lights are not expected back in 2015 (suggesting that the SoA footprint will be used for something)

That's seriously very scant details for a project that is likely to start construction in the very near future. You'd think that more details would be known by now, but Disney seems to have tightened up their notorious leaks -- perhaps taking a page of of Uni's book, which has been much more strict with secrecy.

Given the budget, whether or not that includes Star Wars, there will be some very large scale additions. And all the specifics we have heard about is some flat rides that should cost a small fraction (maybe $100-200M at most), a third track for TSMM and the hat removal. There's presumably going to be at least a few hundred million additional going into a new "Pixar Place" that we literally know next to nothing about. I know I for one am both excited and nervous about it.

This year's D23 seems like it has the potential to be very interesting from the P&R prospective if they can continue to keep this stuff under wraps.

Last edited:

jdmdisney99

4. The Osborne Lights are not expected back in 2015 (suggesting that the SoA footprint will be used for something)
I will really hate to see SoA go if they do. It's time for Disney to buy those Sesame Street theme park rights and finally build a full "Henson Studios" back there.
elmo%20dance.gif

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, it interesting that few, if any, details have leaked about what is coming to DHS. What we seem to know:

1. The budget is in the $1.2-1.6B. This may or may not include the Star Wars portion of any expansion
2. The Hat is leaving (soon)
3. The Pixar expansion will feature Toy Story and Cars (and possibly nothing else)
3a. At least part of the Pixar expansion is some version of Toy Story Playland. Multiple sites have suggested one ride will be a variant of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree themed to Woody; other rides are less certain at this point.

That's seriously very scant details for a project that is likely to start construction in the very near future. You'd think that more details would be known by now, but Disney seems to have tightened up their notorious leaks -- perhaps taking a page of of Uni's book, which has been much more strict with secrecy.

Given the budget, whether or not that includes Star Wars, that should be some very large scale additions. And all the specifics we have heard about is some flat rides that should cost a small fraction (maybe $100-200M at most), a third track for TSMM and the hat removal. There's presumably going to be at least a few hundred million additional going into a new "Pixar Place" that we literally know next to nothing about. I know I for one am both excited and nervous about it.

This year's D23 seems like it has the potential to be very interesting from the P&R prospective if they can continue to keep this stuff under wraps.
I wonder if the reason nothing other than TSPL and 3rd track for TSMM has leaked is because the project is going to be so stretched out. Spirit mentioned the possibility of Disney going the DVC route and not making any formal announcements until construction is well underway. If the other components of this project are still 3 to 5 years out then it may be that the usual sources just haven't come across the complete plans yet.

Kman101

Honestly I just don't see what plan could call for the demo of Streets of America except for them placing Cars Land right there. The backlot area is very big.

Unless Star Wars is taking over that entire section instead of the Indy/behind Indy area.

Otherwise, why bother removing them? I know it frees up space but I just don't see what could go there, except for one of those two above and even then there's space otherwise.

DinoInstitute

I will really hate to see SoA go if they do. It's time for Disney to buy those Sesame Street theme park rights and finally build a full "Henson Studios" back there.
elmo%20dance.gif
Honestly I just don't see what plan could call for the demo of Streets of America except for them placing Cars Land right there. The backlot area is very big.

Unless Star Wars is taking over that entire section instead of the Indy/behind Indy area.

Otherwise, why bother removing them? I know it frees up space but I just don't see what could go there, except for one of those two above and even then there's space otherwise.

Personally I would actually prefer if they took out SoA to replace it with SWL. For two reasons really. First, I'm not so sure that land would fit the parks potential new theme, and also, I would really miss the Echo Lake area

Kman101

I'd rather they not use Echo Lake either. But there's plenty of room for Star Wars without touching SoA. Frankly, turning New York street into Radiator Springs would work the best, we already have a similar "city hall" (the restrooms next to LMA) type building that looks similar to the one in Cars Land at DCA. That and the LMA arena area just scream for Cars Land. Even though I doubt we get it and I do want it to remain exclusive to DCA, even though I wouldn't be upset if we did get it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Personally I would actually prefer if they took out SoA to replace it with SWL. For two reasons really. First, I'm not so sure that land would fit the parks potential new theme, and also, I would really miss the Echo Lake area
I think if it's removed it will be because it makes no sense in the new park layout. I would assume they would use it for Pixar expansion. Spirit mentioned cars, but it would make a decent Monstropilis too:)

DinoInstitute

I think if it's removed it will be because it makes no sense in the new park layout. I would assume they would use it for Pixar expansion. Spirit mentioned cars, but it would make a decent Monstropilis too:)
I thought that too actually, just repaint some of the walls to have clever monster names and have the Incorporated building at the end of the road, a nice new land with half the work already done;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom