Toy Story Playland

H2O_Mouse-Ears

Interesting that you posted this comment.

I feel that WDW has been placed into a position that 3 carni rides at DHS for an 'expanded' Pixar Place would be a joke. In baseball terms, that would almost be like dipping into your minor league system to bring up a journeyman pitcher as opposed to using your available cap space to sign a big time starter for your rotation.

Prior to UNI swinging for the fences with Potter and hitting grand slam after grand slam, maybe WDW could have gotten away with that type of an approach. Not anymore. UNI is now becoming a threat to WDWs dominance of the Orlando theme park business. Furthermore, with Kong coming (at the usual record pace), a mega water park, another resort (and a real nice looking one too), as well as a rumored 3rd gate, UNI is then for real. This isn't a 'let's do WDW 5 days and UNI 2 days' kind of vacation scenario anymore. If what I outlined comes to fruition, UNI now becomes a full week visit, at likely half the cost of a WDW vacation. With today's economy, that is now a viable option that almost won't even be considered an option anymore. It will be an alternative that won't even be up for debate.

If Disney tries to 'wow' us with an exact replica of Toy Story Playland and the plussed up expansion of TSMM, then shame on them. DHS expansion and re-branding cannot be cookie-cutter moves or UNI deserves the money that they will ultimately steal away from WDW. A unique Pixar Place Expansion with the plussed version of TSMM as well as 3 uniquely themed kid/family type rides should only be considered a start. I would want totally new theming of the entire area, with a new Pizza Planet location as well. There should be new fountains or water, something pleasant to the design. I even heard rumor of a new carousel that would be themed to Toy Story. Bring that on also! And this isn't even including the rumored version of Cars Land that Orlando might be getting.

And to me, this is what has to happen. If any attempt to redo this park is weak then that is akin to Disney saying all we really need to live on is the name and the legacy (something that UNI currently doesn't have - YET). And I say give me a break. The only way WDW can remain competitive to UNI, as well as Legoland and some of the other I-Drive attractions that are coming, is to make really amazing attractions and immersive lands. I don't ever expect anything along the lines of what EPCOT Center once was when it first opened in 82, but WDW still has the imagination and the money to amaze us. In some other thread that has now fallen off into the myriad of threads on this site, @Lee indicated that Disney is in a spending mood and that the approved budget for whatever is happening at DHS is really big. I really hope that they take this opportunity to wow us once more because the clock is ticking in Orlando. I take the BAH coming down as a positive first step. I feel that expanding and plussing TSMM is another good step. But man, this expansion in Pixar Place better not amount to three carnival type rides that already exist in 2 other Disney parks. With the money that Disney demands for its parks, restaurants and resorts, each addition here on out has to be able to amaze us, or UNI better start adding even more resorts as they will have earned our paychecks.

Come on Disney, step up to the plate and deliver here! You are almost giving yourself a clean slate in this park. Don't mess it up!

Just out of curiosity and not to sound sarcastic, what other grand slams did UNI deliver other than Harry Potter (albeit it being a pretty huge grand slam). I feel all other attractions at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure are pretty outdated. Their new Simpsons land in Universal Studios, I feel, is the epitome of carnival style areas.

Disneyhead'71

Just out of curiosity and not to sound sarcastic, what other grand slams did UNI deliver other than Harry Potter (albeit it being a pretty huge grand slam). I feel all other attractions at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure are pretty outdated. Their new Simpsons land in Universal Studios, I feel, is the epitome of carnival style areas.
Hogsmeade, Transformers, Springfield, Diagon Alley, Cabana Bay Beach Resort, Vivo, Antojito's, and Cowfish is a pretty solid run. Bread Box was a swing and miss. And regardless of your personal feelings about Springfield, it increased F&B sales at that location by over 200%. Universal is quite pleased with the results of their modest investment in that area of the park.

H2O_Mouse-Ears

Hogsmeade, Transformers, Springfield, Diagon Alley, Cabana Bay Beach Resort, Vivo, Antojito's, and Cowfish is a pretty solid run. Bread Box was a swing and miss. And regardless of your personal feelings about Springfield, it increased F&B sales at that location by over 200%. Universal is quite pleased with the results of their modest investment in that area of the park.

If that is the argument for Springfield, then no one should fault Disney for creating Toy Story Playland as I am sure they will be quite pleased with the results of their modest investment for this area. Please note I currently do not have an opinion for TSP until I actually see/experience it. And if attractions/restaurants/resorts such as Transformers, Cowfish, and Cabana Bay Beach Resort are considered "grand slams", can't the same argument be made for Disney Arts of Animation Resort, Be Our Guest Restaurant, SDMT ride being "grand slams" as well? Definitely not arguing the merits of Harry Potter-related attractions/lands as that is a bonafide mega-hit.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
If that is the argument for Springfield, then no one should fault Disney for creating Toy Story Playland as I am sure they will be quite pleased with the results of their modest investment for this area. Please note I currently do not have an opinion for TSP until I actually see/experience it. And if attractions/restaurants/resorts such as Transformers, Cowfish, and Cabana Bay Beach Resort are considered "grand slams", can't the same argument be made for Disney Arts of Animation Resort, Be Our Guest Restaurant, SDMT ride being "grand slams" as well? Definitely not arguing the merits of Harry Potter-related attractions/lands as that is a bonafide mega-hit.
Who said they weren't?

Disneyhead'71

It depends. While AoA is doing quite well, it is doing so at the expense of the other Value and Moderate resorts. It didn't increase the number of people staying at WDW. That hasn't been the case at Cabana Bay. It seems the lower price point enticed people to stay at Universal while keeping Express Pass exclusive to the Deluxes seems to have held their audience. BoG and Belle's are home runs. 7DMT is a mixed bag, but is a nice addition to the MK.

I would like to see Disney open a F&B location that does numbers that Moe's, Duffs, and Krusty Burger do.

Disneyhead'71

Oh, the initial post I made was in response to the post that UNI has been swinging for the fences and hitting grand slams, implying that WDW was not. So was just pointing out that other than Harry Potter World, UNI was not doing anything unparalleled/unrivaled when compared to WDW.
Since 2009, Uni has opened 4 E-Ticket attractions (5 if you count HE). The last E-Ticket built anywhere at WDW was 9 years ago.

Mike S

Since 2009, Uni has opened 4 E-Ticket attractions (5 if you count HE). The last E-Ticket built anywhere at WDW was 9 years ago.
Are you counting Minion Mayhem as an E Ticket? Cause I can only count 4 and that's with the HE which is definitely an E Ticket experience to me. Nothing beats traveling from London to Hogsmeade without having to walk all the way around. Now, if only they could do something with that huge honking coaster :cautious:

Last edited:

flyerjab

Sorry, I had stepped out and was not able to immediately respond.

To be clear, I was speaking mainly in regard to what they have done with the Harry Potter franchise. And as most people know me on these threads by now, I am a HUGE Disney fanatic and am not a UNI lover. However, I also try to be fair and give credit where credit is due. DA is simply incredible - and I don't even buy into the hype for Gringott's. But from an immersive experience standpoint, it is absolutely top notch. And WWOHP was also a hit. Also, the addition of Cabana Bay is helping to reset the bar as far as value resorts are concerned.

I also believe that Transformers, Minion Mayhem, and the new Kong ride really add to the rest of the park. And all rumors point towards a fantastic water park that I have heard is as large as both TL and BB together.

The big point of my argument is that UNI will soon be able to deliver a full week long vacation experience…at LESS than the current cost of a WDW vacation when staying on site. The only way for WDW to keep their ridiculous lead in market share over UNI, and keep their current price structures, will be to build amazing new expansions/experiences at their parks. DHS is a place where they can up their game. On a recent Jim Hill podcast, he mentioned that Disney is not kidding around with their Star Wars Land concepts for DHS. I believe Spirit also mentioned in his latest thread that there is a possibility for WDW to be introducing cutting edge experiences into that part of the DHS expansion over the next 5 years. I just don't want them to go cheap on their Pixar franchises. And they shouldn't with the money that this global entertainment company nets annually. I just want them to up their game and with the goings on in DAK, DHS stands a great chance of becoming a true, world class theme park experience. And if a Pixar Place expansion is the first step, I don't want a simple carbon copy of Toy Story Playland. I want something much more than that.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Are you counting Minion Mayhem as an E Ticket? Cause I can only count 4 and that's with the HE which is definitely an E Ticket experience to me. Nothing beats traveling from London to Hogsmeade without having to walk all the way around. Now, if only they could do something with that huge honking coaster :cautious:
HRRR 2009, HPatFJ 2010, Transformers 2013, and Gringott's + HE 2014.

H2O_Mouse-Ears

To be clear, I was speaking mainly in regard to what they have done with the Harry Potter franchise. And as most people know me on these threads by now, I am a HUGE Disney fanatic and am not a UNI lover. However, I also try to be fair and give credit where credit is due. DA is simply incredible - and I don't even buy into the hype for Gringott's. But from an immersive experience standpoint, it is absolutely top notch. And WWOHP was also a hit. Also, the addition of Cabana Bay is helping to reset the bar as far as value resorts are concerned.

I also believe that Transformers, Minion Mayhem, and the new Kong ride really add to the rest of the park. And all rumors point towards a fantastic water park that I have heard is as large as both TL and BB together.

The big point of my argument is that UNI will soon be able to deliver a full week long vacation experience…at LESS than the current cost of a WDW vacation when staying on site. The only way for WDW to keep their ridiculous lead in market share over UNI, and keep their current price structures, will be to build amazing new expansions/experiences at their parks. DHS is a place where they can up their game. On a recent Jim Hill podcast, he mentioned that Disney is not kidding around with their Star Wars Land concepts for DHS. I believe Spirit also mentioned in his latest thread that there is a possibility for WDW to be introducing cutting edge experiences into that part of the DHS expansion over the next 5 years. I just don't want them to go cheap on their Pixar franchises. And they shouldn't with the money that this global entertainment company nets annually. I just want them to up their game and with the goings on in DAK, DHS stands a great chance of becoming a true, world class theme park experience. And if a Pixar Place expansion is the first step, I don't want a simple carbon copy of Toy Story Playland. I want something much more than that.

Ah understood. Thanks for clarifying and going into detail! Makes sense and agreed.

Disneyhead'71

Just a minor correction. WonderSea (Uni's new waterpark) will be roughly the same size as Blizzard Beach. But I hear they plan to go over the top themeing wise.

flyerjab

Just a minor correction. WonderSea (Uni's new waterpark) will be roughly the same size as Blizzard Beach. But I hear they plan to go over the top themeing wise.

That's interesting. I was going off of info I had heard back in the summer. Is this a result of some of UNIs cost cutting that Spirit hinted at or was it always going to be this size?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom