Too crowded!!

Rototom

Your next app should help you convince your family that coming here during Xmas break is a very bad idea.

I will be using your app a lot the rest of this week. Don't know how you do it, don't care. Just hope it stays live!

mikeh

Your next app should help you convince your family that coming here during Xmas break is a very bad idea.

I will be using your app a lot the rest of this week. Don't know how you do it, don't care. Just hope it stays live!

I'm going to break down the waits in a blog post. That should convince you not to go during Christmas time ;)

DisDan

Have you reverse engineered My Disney Experience JSON feed to rip the wait data?

Beauty of JSON data is no reverse engineering needed. The data's structure is spelled out for you and all you need is to parse it and do with it whatever you want. Assuming you could get data that came from guest MagicBands and track their position when they got in line and then again when they get on the ride. If this data was available why wouldn't they simply use that data for their own wait times? More likely he has figured out some sort of buffer algorithm that is added to the readily available wait times Disney provides and applied that calculation to the wait times to give an "Actual" wait time.

Ehh..just theories :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Beauty of JSON data is no reverse engineering needed. The data's structure is spelled out for you and all you need is to parse it and do with it whatever you want. Assuming you could get data that came from guest MagicBands and track their position when they got in line and then again when they get on the ride. If this data was available why wouldn't they simply use that data for their own wait times? More likely he has figured out some sort of buffer algorithm that is added to the readily available wait times Disney provides and applied that calculation to the wait times to give an "Actual" wait time.

The real wait time and published wait time is in the feed.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Disney chooses to publish a modified set of wait times for operational reasons. Based on that, I would say it is a bad idea to republish data that they choose not to publish.

DisDan

Disney chooses to publish a modified set of wait times for operational reasons. Based on that, I would say it is a bad idea to republish data that they choose not to publish.

I don't know if there is anything illegal about doing that. However, if they really didn't want that data to be published then they probably shouldn't make that data openly available without some sort of encryption.

mousehockey37

I don't know if there is anything illegal about doing that. However, if they really didn't want that data to be published then they probably shouldn't make that data openly available without some sort of encryption.

Well, just as this comes about, I had an article come across my Facebook feed that showed that United Airlines and Orbitz were suing a 22 yr old for his fare service that he was providing. This is the article: http://fox13now.com/2014/12/29/unit...ound-method-for-buying-cheaper-plane-tickets/

You do need to be careful with what you do. Just as I highlighted from @wdwmagic, there may be nothing illegal about what this person has created, but if Disney catches wind of this (and they've got people on here, I'm sure), they're going to have their developers and legal divisions getting the ball rolling on shutting it down.

Need anything further, just look at the battle the taxi service Uber is having in places with getting established.

mousehockey37

I've posted about this here before and (just like last time) you guys have made me feel like I'm going to jail, lol.

I'm hardly the only person to do this.

I thought I would post as a way to add to the OP and provide you guys with a resource, not defend a weekend project, lol

Since it's saying I can't reply to this post. A few things:

1. If you brought this up before and it wasn't well received, probably not wise to bring it up again.
2. If you're not the only one, cite some others who are as well. It is a "business" after all, cite some "competitors".
3. This is a discussion forum. Anyone who posts here knows that things can and will be taken in opposite directions.

You say it's a "weekend project", well, the guy in the link I provided that's getting sued by Orbitz, yeah, his thing was a side "hobby" as well.

mikeh

I've posted about this here before and (just like last time) you guys have made me feel like I'm going to jail, lol.

I'm hardly the only person to do this.

I thought I would post as a way to add to the OP and provide you guys with a resource, not defend a weekend project, lol

Since it's saying I can't reply to this post. A few things:

1. If you brought this up before and it wasn't well received, probably not wise to bring it up again.
2. If you're not the only one, cite some others who are as well. It is a "business" after all, cite some "competitors".
3. This is a discussion forum. Anyone who posts here knows that things can and will be taken in opposite directions.

You say it's a "weekend project", well, the guy in the link I provided that's getting sued by Orbitz, yeah, his thing was a side "hobby" as well.

Yeah, not sure what happened to the post. I'm on mobile.

Anyways,

1) I won't post about it here again. I thought some would appreciate it, but it's not worth the hassle.

2) It's not a business. It would be awesome if I could make it a business and make some money, but that'll never happen.

3) Of course

note2001

Yeah, not sure what happened to the post. I'm on mobile.

Anyways,

1) I won't post about it here again. I thought some would appreciate it, but it's not worth the hassle.

2) It's not a business. It would be awesome if I could make it a business and make some money, but that'll never happen.

3) Of course

I for one think it's cool and would use it, but you do have to be extra careful not to cross wires with the big dogs at Disney. If they think there's a chance you're somehow cashing in on their data they'll be after you faster than you can say "Sorry."

That said, as a programmer/analyst myself I'm fighting off the urge to go look at Disney's feeds, becuase one thing will lead to another and the rest of my vacation will be gone ;)

mousehockey37

I for one think it's cool and would use it, but you do have to be extra careful not to cross wires with the big dogs at Disney. If they think there's a chance you're somehow cashing in on their data they'll be after you faster than you can say "Sorry."

That said, as a programmer/analyst myself I'm fighting off the urge to go look at Disney's feeds, becuase one thing will lead to another and the rest of my vacation will be gone ;)

Well, like I posted with that link, the guy wasn't making money off of it, but he did expose something that was there all along. Orbitz and United saw that it was costing them money in the long run, so they're after him for something around the tune of $75,000 in lost revenue.

Bring that to this particular instance, no, it's not as bad, but it could still be costing Disney money. If the posted wait time says 90 minutes, but it only takes 40 to actually get on the ride, Disney has some sort of system monitoring everything to get that 90 minutes, but with the MDE+, they'll want to try and get you to go eat, buy souvies, etc then head back later.

As is the same in both instances, neither thing is illegal, but it's providing a service that the companies don't want you to know that you can do.

draybook

I was there this September (first week) and had no problems at all. Crowds were very manageable my DD rode 7DMT 7 times in 2 days. We avoided MK on nights where MNSSHP was going on.

Yeah, but it's no longer the safe haven that it used to be. We used to come home with literally hundreds of unused Fastpasses, and I'm talking about FP's for the big ticket stuff, because the lines were non existent.

Cesar R M

they could be pretty much adding estimates based on prior years, rounding up with the current data.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
If Disney doesn't shut it down because of the content they will because of the domain name. They won't allow others with disney in the domain name seeming like an official site from them for long

With that being said this is very cool... Just change it to wdwwaittimes or wdwlines or something like that

Michael50211

Not only is the temperatures cold at night but the population inside the park is over eel ing. It sucks the enjoyment right out of the experience. Last night at the frozen show people were yelling at others nit to put their children on their shoulders because they couldn't see. It's becoming unbearable. We r stuck currently on the monorail to go to the grand Floridian, have been waiting over 30 minutes!! Not magical!!
I was there on the 4th - 15 and had no problems. Sounds like you just like to complain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom