The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Cesar R M

I'm sad they're going with carnival rides, but i'll be absurdly disappointed if that's ALL we're getting out of the "big overhaul" for DHS. A disappointing waste of space, time and money regardless. Is there even any good news about the park's future?

WDW1974 did however mention he had news that would bother both WDW and Universal fans, and a while back he said the executives at Uni were cutting budgets after Potter 2.0 didn't meet their unrealistically high expectations. I hope that he wasn't referring to Universal with the carnie rides.
if Carnie rides are incoming.. So.. that means t A Bug's life like land with carnival rides in pixar's place?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Maybe we're all looking at this from the wrong angle? Spirit said carnival rides, not Toy Story Playland, even though thats the obvious answer. Many have said before that they do not believe TSPL is coming...so perhaps its a conglomeration of flat rides from A Bug's Land, Carsland, TSPL, or others? Wouldn't that fit the Pixar Place theme better?

With that, there is an added potential of the area not looking like Chester and Hester.

Alternatively - it could look worse than Chester and Hester :hungover:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Entirely possible...trying to be optimistic since we don't know the whole story though!

I know - I wish I could be more optimistic it's just that recent history at WDW tends to damp down my optimism for new and amazing stuff. The chainsaw show at EPCOT being a new and glaring example.

We go down 2-3 time per year and yes we ALWAYS have a good time many times in spite of WDW's efforts to screw it up, but there is less and less to do in the parks and you have to work harder to do them. We find recently that we are spending more and more time 'off property' simply because of the decreasing number of experiences available at WDW.

Mike S

Nope. But I have enjoyed hearing your lovely singing voice in person again ... and who better to experience Diagon Alley for the first time with ... or make sure that Mrs. Lee enjoyed her first ride on the SDMT? And seeing those nice bois from the Micechat site?

And all that fun news and gossip ... I think I am going to sooooo off both Disney and UNI fans at the same time (and why does that make me feel a little bulge?)

In other words, look for the Spirited Back Nine ... coming to a MAGICal realm near you soon.

BTW, after you left we took a little drive out to Flamingo Crossing and ... oh what a hoot that was. Can you say the next real estate collapse is alive and well and being created just west of WDW near Independence. $1 million lakefront homes? For who exactly?

OK, you know the fans are going to want something so as I head to bed ...how about:

1.) Tom Amity was right about something (and I think his employer is actually buying all of Disney's good 'crap' before it ever gets a chance at Property Control/Cast Connection);

2.) Carnie rides be coming;

3.) Both Disney and UNI show ouright contempt for their guests, no more so than in October when both companies print money with events that are not close to what they once were;

4.) How come urology nurses only pay $239 a night for rooms at the Comtemporary?;

5.) Unless you are coming to O-Town to visit people, the last two weeks in October are simply a hellish time to visit the big four parks (those being UNI, IOA, MK, EPCOT). It might be a great time for a DAK, Disney's Soon to be Renamed Park without a giant toon hat (see: I told ya so ... although to be fair it was first leaving as soon as 2011 and that didn't happen!);

6.) Only JT (safely from the desert of New Mexico) could enjoy the mess that is DD today.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Diagon Alley. The other news should be, interesting, too. Carnie rides........ ugh

Goofyernmost

I think I'm the most upset about #2.
How come no one had that problem when Mr. Toad was operating. There are at least 15 more lakes formed from the tears of Toad fans since it's removal. And what was it? Nothing more then a themed carnival ride. One that you could somewhat duplicate at almost any roadside traveling show. Then there's Dumbo. Could there be a bigger, almost identical carnival ride with the only themeing being that you sat in an elephant. Or the Tea Cups or the Carousel and even the Grand Prix Racers is nothing more then a carnival ride on steroids.

Free Urinary track study and Colon cleaning procedure to WDW's top brass? :hilarious:
I hope they aren't to thorough with the Colon cleaning because if that is done to the Executives there will be nothing left but a pair of shoes and a name badge.:joyfull:

space42

How come no one had that problem when Mr. Toad was operating. There are at least 15 more lakes formed from the tears of Toad fans since it's removal. And what was it? Nothing more then a themed carnival ride. One that you could somewhat duplicate at almost any roadside traveling show. Then there's Dumbo. Could there be a bigger, almost identical carnival ride with the only themeing being that you sat in an elephant. Or the Tea Cups or the Carousel and even the Grand Prix Racers is nothing more then a carnival ride on steroids.

I hope they aren't to thorough with the Colon cleaning because if that is done to the Executives there will be nothing left but a pair of shoes and a name badge.:joyfull:

Because the park also contained Haunted Mansion, 20k Leagues, Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, Country Bears, Pirates, Hall of Presidents - all headliner E-Tickets with no height requirement. The attractions you mentioned are C ticket - support attractions.. not headliners. If they are indeed adding carnival rides, then it better be supported by a few, no height requirement , E-Tickets or the park will suffer the same problem it has today.

willtravel

The carnie rides at MK didn't (originally) have an entire land dedicated to them like the super concentrated Toy Story Playland, Dinorama etc. Instead rides like the spinners were scattered sparsely and individually around the parks, not all clustered together and occupying large pieces of land (heck Astro Orbitor is even built on top of the Peoplemover loading area, taking up even less space than others). Their presence doesn't dominate the park, or even a particular area/land (prior to Dumbo moving over next to Barnstormer anyways).

The problem is discerning whether the carnie rides are going to heavily eat into the budget, and how many there are. Besides Toy Story Playland, even the other lands could be dominated by carnival rides. Something like an X-wing spinner for Star Wars or the lesser attractions from Cars Land (or worse, the awful Cars ride they built at Paris) just for examples.

From Spirit's post, it sounds like it might be kind of worrisome given that the carnival rides are all he commented on (from whatever info he's obtained). Again unless he's referring to Universal (i'm assuming he isn't). As a Disney fan, I think he'd at least hint at something positive if he had heard something. He's usually pretty fair about saying positive things alongside the negative, even though positives are becoming increasingly rare regarding WDW.
Carnival rides like the one's in Dinoland in AK? I guess we would have to find out what is considered a carnival ride. Would TSMM be considered a carnival ride? Sometimes I think it is.

CDavid

How come no one had that problem when Mr. Toad was operating. There are at least 15 more lakes formed from the tears of Toad fans since it's removal. And what was it? Nothing more then a themed carnival ride. One that you could somewhat duplicate at almost any roadside traveling show.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was a themed carnival ride in the same way a high school play is the same thing as a professional Broadway production.

I don't know what kind of roadside carnivals they have where you live, but around here there is nothing even approaching Mr. Toad. You could argue that the Carousel and Teacups are well-presented carnival rides, but I've never seen a carnival with a "dark ride" other than a couple semi-trucks with a 20-second spin through a crude haunted house (and even that's uncommon). That is in no way comparable to Toad; The scale, theme, and presentation are as different as night and day. Sure, you can say that is similar to Toad, but then the carnival itself is also similar to the Magic Kingdom as a whole (they both have rides, places to eat, etc.). It's not a valid comparison.

If any "carnie rides" going into the Studios were on the scale of even Mr. Toad people wouldn't have a problem with it. The concern is over getting a Dinorama 2.0 (Bugs Land, Toy Story Playland, etc.).

BrerJon

Interesting to note that SDL's TSPL is only getting two rides. The Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop, which is at both of the other TSPL's, will not be included. That was also one of the two rides that included a height requirement.

Parachute Drop is great for the view you get over the parks, but it's also incredibly low capacity and has long lines, so that could explain why it's been dropped from future versions.

Bairstow

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was a themed carnival ride in the same way a high school play is the same thing as a professional Broadway production.

I don't know what kind of roadside carnivals they have where you live, but around here there is nothing even approaching Mr. Toad. You could argue that the Carousel and Teacups are well-presented carnival rides, but I've never seen a carnival with a "dark ride" other than a couple semi-trucks with a 20-second spin through a crude haunted house (and even that's uncommon). That is in no way comparable to Toad; The scale, theme, and presentation are as different as night and day. Sure, you can say that is similar to Toad, but then the carnival itself is also similar to the Magic Kingdom as a whole (they both have rides, places to eat, etc.). It's not a valid comparison.

If any "carnie rides" going into the Studios were on the scale of even Mr. Toad people wouldn't have a problem with it. The concern is over getting a Dinorama 2.0 (Bugs Land, Toy Story Playland, etc.).

He must be getting hung up on all the plywood.
Toad was charming but still several notches below something like show white's scary adventures in terms of production value.
Rather than a traveling carnival ride, it's more fair to compare Toad to a boardwalk laff-in-the-dark.

BrianLo

What's with the big freak out? We already knew TSPL was coming, that's all @WDW1974 was referencing with the Carnie/Tom Amity comment.

I've said it before, but in the grand scheme of all the lands filled with "carnie rides", I personally like TSPL at HKDL the best, and they don't even have a triple track TSMM (yet). I even rank it above Mermaid lagoon, which while beautiful, scews too young. I realize DHS needs more things for the kidlets, but the beauty of TSPL is that it has rides with height restrictions, it actually offers an attraction for every demo. With the fairly well loved (from the general park goers perspective) TSMM to be the headliner.

This is NOT all that's happening in DHS, it's just the first and quickest thing to happen. Something they can actually market. While the capacity improvements to TSMM are needed and will make DHS slightly more "pleasant", it's not something they can exactly put in a commercial as being "new".

Look to Walt Disney Studios... WDS doesn't deserve the current hate either. Its "Pixar land" after all contains 2 E-tickets (one is a signature), soon to be 1-D (TSMM), 1-C, 3-B tickets, a top notch table service and in the near future a show converted to be part of the fold. The rest of the park notwithstanding, that seems like something that Pixar place should be envious of. It's something that's actually surprisingly well built out (for the worst Disney park in the world).

BrerJon

Look to Walt Disney Studios... WDS doesn't deserve the current hate either. Its "Pixar land" after all contains 2 E-tickets (one is a signature), soon to be 1-D (TSMM), 1-C, 3-B tickets, a top notch table service and in the near future a show converted to be part of the fold. The rest of the park notwithstanding, that seems like something that Pixar place should be envious of. It's something that's actually surprisingly well built out (for the worst Disney park in the world).

I'm pretty sure DHS has taken that title now, Disney Studios Paris is a much better park now than when it opened, with easily a full days worth of attractions, while DHS is a shadow of its former self. The Studios in Paris has 10 rides and 7 shows, while DHS has 5 rides, 11 shows and a playground, so on numbers alone it's at least even.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I'm pretty sure DHS has taken that title now, Disney Studios Paris is a much better park now than when it opened, with easily a full days worth of attractions, while DHS is a shadow of its former self.

I probably place them similarly. DHS still has the shows, thematic one up and nighttime offerings (fantasmic, sometimes fireworks). But strictly from a Pixar to Pixar perspective WDS offers quite a bit. It still needs TSMM and the thematic redo of the front half of pixar land, flattening the magic carpets and bring Animagique into the fall. The rest of the park is still bordering on disaster though. If both parks were to get a billion+ dollar makeover tomorrow DHS would probably come out on top. Simply because less would have to be spent on infrastructure and fixing thematic flaws.

As is though, if someone were prefer WDS I wouldn't fault them. There are certainly more rides and Etickets than the 5 rides total DHS currently has open.

BrianLo

If Animagique is turned into a Pixar-only (or centric) show, what will happen to the carpets or animation building? Will they also be given a Pixar makeover?

No idea... I hope it goes away. I think that is literally the worst thing that still exists in modern day disney. It's more nausea inducing than Chester and Hester's, for me at least.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom