The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

doctornick

Okay, so in one breath WDW1974 says that some executives at Disney are afraid to add Star Wars to the parks because it might upset their alleged core demographic of little girls/princess wannabes and their parents. The next breath he says that he doesn't think it will prevent Star Wars from coming to DLR/WDW anyway.

And the company is building Avatar, has build Cars Land and still has SWW every year that they market the hell out of. And even seemed to take more seriously this year (with axing the Hoopla and getting Hamil to come). And they already hinted at SW coming to the parks at D23.

This seems like a complete non-issue, posted only to make Disney seem incompetent over something that isn't even affecting anything. I don't see the point. So, there are some executives who have stupid blind spots? It happens; if Star Wars gets built anyway, why does it matter?

Astro Blaster

These rumors of Star Wars land amongst the opening of Diagon Alley got me thinking - a Star Wars "land" wouldn't really work, unless perhaps it was essentially its own park.

Would it make sense to have an Endor speeder bike coaster next to the Mos Eisley Cantina, which was rumored? Not really, they're on two completely different planets. As a Potter fan, I'm impressed with the theme park areas because you feel like you are truly IN them. Being designed by the same people that designed the movie sets probably helps with that. In order for Star Wars to feel truly immersive, I'd think that they wouldn't be able to jump all around the galaxy in the span of a five minute walk.

That being said, maybe Star Wars "land" could be completely different in Disney parks around the world. I'm sure they will be able to recoup all the costs of building these areas since this franchise prints money, especially if they do it right. I know it's not "original trilogy" but a Coruscant area with the Jedi temple would make me pass out in happiness. Would be simple to throw in a cantina (like the one where the guy tried to sell death sticks to Obi-Wan) and a spaceport with the Falcon, too.

Ok enough armchair imagineering for one night, there are just so many possibilities for amazing Star Wars theme park areas.

spacemt354

Chili's
Okay, so in one breath WDW1974 says that some executives at Disney are afraid to add Star Wars to the parks because it might upset their alleged core demographic of little girls/princess wannabes and their parents. The next breath he says that he doesn't think it will prevent Star Wars from coming to DLR/WDW anyway.

And the company is building Avatar, has build Cars Land and still has SWW every year that they market the hell out of. And even seemed to take more seriously this year (with axing the Hoopla and getting Hamil to come). And they already hinted at SW coming to the parks at D23.

This seems like a complete non-issue, posted only to make Disney seem incompetent over something that isn't even affecting anything. I don't see the point. So, there are some executives who have stupid blind spots? It happens; if Star Wars gets built anyway, why does it matter?
I think the point is this shouldn't even be discussed.

It just goes to show the lack of intelligence and understanding of their fan base on the management level. The exclusivity concern shouldn't be warranted because not only is Star Wars weekends a major attendance draw, it is an IP that (like potter) is not gender or generationally biased.

It doesn't seem like it's going to be an issue in the long run, but in the short term it's one of the reasons why dirt isn't being moved.

It's further evidence that current management has no grasp of what the people want. Instead they are afraid of how their BRAND will be tampered with by a mommy blogger who gets maybe 30 views per video on YouTube.

These threads get over 500,000 views. Listen to us Disney...

Last edited:

Rodan75

Spirited Monday Mindblowing Musing:

(to me anyway)

I had hoped to spend some time here, but another crazy Disney vs. UNI thread appeared, got my attention and took all the time I have right now.

But I had to drop this bit of news about Star Wars Land (please tell Dave that no talk of the actual land will happen here). It's something I've heard a few people say and I took it all in stride and moved on ... but someone with Disney brought this same point up to me late last night.

There are many reasons why Star Wars expansion at both DLR and WDW has been so delayed and all of them (from NGE overruns to new script for Episode VII etc) are true at least in part. BUT ... there is one other reason Disney has dallied around instead of digging right in (literally) and building: there are people at high levels of both WDW and TWDC that are afraid that Star Wars only attracts certain fanboi demos and that they are 'concerned' it won't appeal to the demos they are most after (Mommies and their 'wittle princesses). No, I am not kidding. I wish I were.

Do I think this absurdness will derail plans? Absolutely not.

Do I think there is any sanity to this? No. But this is what it has come to. Disney/Iger have aggressively gone out and spent billions on BOI-IP in Marvel and Lucasfilm because not all boys want to grown up to be Princesses, even all boys who visit WDW. But now that they have it, there are folks actually afraid that using it may harm its long policy of really only caring about the Mommies.

Is there some basis in reality for this? Possibly. Is it still freaking insane? Nah, just business as usual at your WDC.

Sorry, that's all I have time for right now.

Hope your Mondays were as productive as mine (yes, I may have made someone cry!)

I think the worry isn't about the girl appeal of Star Wars, but of the cos-play/ fanboi appeal that Star Wars has. During our trip in June we overheard and engaged in multiple discussions with moms who were freaked out by the hard core Star Wars folks at the studios and refused to take their kids over there on the weekend.

There is still a big stigma that exists for Star Wars fanbois...even moreso than comic book fanbois.

We all know it is a garbage concern, but I can see it causing at least a little pause.

dhall

Repeat after me: Two billion dollar (plus) boondoggle.

And: only Disney (wouldn't have exec heads rolling!)

You spent some time trying to associate MM+/NGE with some set of intelligence contractors several months ago: thinking about it made me think of a scene with Iger & three of his CEO buddies talking over a round of golf. Iger would be bragging about how he was getting this great secret government project, but his buddies can't look him in the eye -- they all look away, until finally, he asks "what's going on". His buddies hem & haw a bit until one of them finally says:

"Bob, when we do secret government projects, the $2B goes on the government's books, not ours"

Bairstow

You spent some time trying to associate MM+/NGE with some set of intelligence contractors several months ago: thinking about it made me think of a scene with Iger & three of his CEO buddies talking over a round of golf. Iger would be bragging about how he was getting this great secret government project, but his buddies can't look him in the eye -- they all look away, until finally, he asks "what's going on". His buddies hem & haw a bit until one of them finally says:

"Bob, when we do secret government projects, the $2B goes on the government's books, not ours"

So here's my question- if MM+ really did cost Disney 2 billion dollars, who got the money?
I mean, this was a project that required outside help, right?

Travel Junkie

Ok that 74 post is bull - if Disney was all about just trying to attract "Mommies and their 'wittle princesses'" the someone please explain Carsland and Pandora, 2 of the biggest and most recent or current expansions taking place

Everyone just seems to buy into everything he says....it's almost funny to watch

If you pay attention to what he wrote, it says SOME people at WDW and TWDC. Carsland is at DLR not WDW, apparently was coming to WDW, until it wasn’t. It’s entirely possible a demo problem played into why it was delayed/canned. While Carsland has been a tremendous success, there are some execs at DLR that are not satisfied with the food and merch sales in relation to the crowds that descend on the land daily. The lack of girl related merch has been pointed to as a possible reason why the merch sales are not as high as some expected. Again, this is the feeling by some, not all.

Avatar is an Iger pet project and no matter what your feelings might be, when the CEO pushes something through, you choose to pick another battle.

What 74 is saying may or may not be entirely accurate but it certainly is in the realm of possibility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom