The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Magenta Panther

These are 2 entities that are currently involved with the creation of NGE/MM+ with Google coming in to help clean up the mess. So please Google the names, look at company origins, clients, and funding sources. Let us know what you find down the rabbit hole.

Oh.

Seriously, this is all too deep for me. I'll take your word for it.

Bairstow

These are 2 entities that are currently involved with the creation of NGE/MM+ with Google coming in to help clean up the mess. So please Google the names, look at company origins, clients, and funding sources. Let us know what you find down the rabbit hole.

lol no.
You're the one who threw out the conspiracy theory, so the research is on you.
You find anything convincing and I'll read it.

NearTheEars

You have got to be kidding - $5,000 for four nights? I would humbly submit that if someone is paying that outrageous a price, they need to check more thoroughly into Disney resorts, pricing, and amenities. Quickly.

First, you have edited a quotation from my post in such a way to change the context of what I said. Please do not attempt to twist what I or others have said.

Second, nobody has said anything about wasting your time, restraining you from technology, controlling how you live, or taking your away your personal freedoms. That's a red herring.

The problem with ordering meals far in advance is the absurdity of pretending guests will know today what they are going to want for lunch a week from next Tuesday. Further, the primary advantage the option pre-ordering provides is to rush guests through the dining experience, to get them out the door and another party seated as quickly as possible. That's a good thing from Disney's perspective, but its rather poor customer service. Most people want to take their time and enjoy an experience - lunch at a Disney restaurant - for which they are paying premium prices. It is not something the majority of guests just want to get over with. If diners just want to get out as fast as possible to move on to the next experience to rush through, they would have just grabbed a bite at Casey's Corner or something.

Just like there is the occasional kid who honestly prefers celery sticks over a Mickey Ice-cream bar, there are a few obsessive-planner types who think a Disney vacation should be planned down to the minute. For them, pre-ordering meals weeks in advance makes sense, perhaps, but for the other 99% its just silly. I'm not completely sure its an exaggeration to say some families objective is not to enjoy themselves but to work the plan they've crafted no matter what, and get the parks done as soon as possible!

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but just because a person pre-ordered doesn't guarantee they are also going to shovel in their food as fast as possible does it?

They could sit back and relax and enjoy the sights as long as they want, regardless of how they ordered.

Just an observation.

TinkerBelle8878

There are many reasons why Star Wars expansion at both DLR and WDW has been so delayed and all of them (from NGE overruns to new script for Episode VII etc) are true at least in part. BUT ... there is one other reason Disney has dallied around instead of digging right in (literally) and building: there are people at high levels of both WDW and TWDC that are afraid that Star Wars only attracts certain fanboi demos and that they are 'concerned' it won't appeal to the demos they are most after (Mommies and their 'wittle princesses). No, I am not kidding. I wish I were.

I think perhaps these higher ups at Disney need to revisit an 80s tv commercial for Ewok plush...kids, both boys and girls, playing and re-enacting Star Wars in their backyards with these Ewok toys. And yes one of the girls had a Princess Neesa (sp?) Ewok, so there's the Princesses between her and Leia. Marketed towards all kids, no mass separation of boys/girls. This was how to market a product.

If they are so set on separating girls and boys, market up that Leia is a Princess. Just a different kind of princess than Ariel, Cinderella or Aurora.

Kids at nursery schools play Star Wars. Girls and Boys. Original Leia, Luke, Han movies. Its their way of circumventing the 'No Superhero' rule :) Disney is way out of touch with future consumers.

ThemeParkJunkee

How about instead of putting everything into a "girl" or "boy" box, we just create immersive experiences that appeal to people across generations and demographics?

Is that too crazy, or have I missed the memo were it was decided Haunted Mansion was a "boys" ride?

As a "mom" with four children and five grandchildren, I wholeheartedly agree. My daughters were Star Wars fans that raised Star Wars fans including a 9 month old girl who wears Darth Vader shirts. They were never princesses and would never raise princesses. They are also Harry Potter fans and LOTR fans. The grandboys do love Cars and Superheros. Legos are the "go-to" gift. Did you know there are Harry Potter Legos?

Themes that all kids can enjoy makes more sense than princess-centric attractions and merchandise for any entertainment venue.

acishere

Personally, I think that demos based on gender don't matter all that much anymore. Grown men watch My Little Pony.
I don't think the men who watch My Little Pony demo is allowed near theme parks anyway...
paranoid.gif

Animaniac93-98

princess-centric attractions

Beyond the makeover salons, character greets and dining experiences, I've yet to know a true "attraction" in WDW that was so "girly" it was impossible to enjoy for males. The closest thing I can think of would be Enchanted Tales with Belle, but that's still character related.

Little Mermaid disapoints for reasons besides the fact that it is based on a "princess" movie. A better ride would have easily overcome any such stigma.

Cesar R M

The mention of 4 parks leads me to believe he thinks all 4 parks are becoming full day parks again?
Every park as a plan now, the only one remaining was DHS (star wars)?

I mean.. MK was just ended its expansion, AK is under construction already with Avatar and the expansions of shows, DHS is the one requiring most changes now.. and EPCOT seems full of things (with hard tickets and expanding festivals)

michmousefan

They have plans for a new Star Wars movie every year, alternating trilogy movie with a "spin-off" movie, so shifting Ep 7 to 2016 would require them to push that entire schedule back. I just don't see them doing that. I agree it will be odd to see SW in December, but it has proven to be a good slot of movie releases. Four of the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time have been released in December including the two highest grossing movies.
All good points, but it's looking like there's more of a chance that Ep7 could get pushed to May '16:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/rumor-star-wars-episode-vii-could-get-pushed-back-to-2016/

As for the other SW movies, it would be a headache, but they can each just get pushed back a year or six mos. Not sure how Marvel would feel if a SW movie opens a couple weeks (even three) after one of their tentpoles.

Cesar R M

Maybe he's just really excited about the Frozen sing along and fireworks;)

zufLMZS.gif

dammit Goofgoof! XD

Spirited Monday Mindblowing Musing:

(to me anyway)

I had hoped to spend some time here, but another crazy Disney vs. UNI thread appeared, got my attention and took all the time I have right now.

But I had to drop this bit of news about Star Wars Land (please tell Dave that no talk of the actual land will happen here). It's something I've heard a few people say and I took it all in stride and moved on ... but someone with Disney brought this same point up to me late last night.

There are many reasons why Star Wars expansion at both DLR and WDW has been so delayed and all of them (from NGE overruns to new script for Episode VII etc) are true at least in part. BUT ... there is one other reason Disney has dallied around instead of digging right in (literally) and building: there are people at high levels of both WDW and TWDC that are afraid that Star Wars only attracts certain fanboi demos and that they are 'concerned' it won't appeal to the demos they are most after (Mommies and their 'wittle princesses). No, I am not kidding. I wish I were.

Do I think this absurdness will derail plans? Absolutely not.

Do I think there is any sanity to this? No. But this is what it has come to. Disney/Iger have aggressively gone out and spent billions on BOI-IP in Marvel and Lucasfilm because not all boys want to grown up to be Princesses, even all boys who visit WDW. But now that they have it, there are folks actually afraid that using it may harm its long policy of really only caring about the Mommies.

Is there some basis in reality for this? Possibly. Is it still freaking insane? Nah, just business as usual at your WDC.

Sorry, that's all I have time for right now.

Hope your Mondays were as productive as mine (yes, I may have made someone cry!)

Does Disney really fear to try to broaden the appeal in their parks? seriously?
They already have a full kingdom for little kids!

[

You too can be found in a freezer....

You could always do the classic Italian Mafia way.. "Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes"
Jz7V6t0.jpg

Cesar R M

Ok that 74 post is bull - if Disney was all about just trying to attract "Mommies and their 'wittle princesses'" the someone please explain Carsland and Pandora, 2 of the biggest and most recent or current expansions taking place

Everyone just seems to buy into everything he says....it's almost funny to watch
Arent "Kids" the main target of Carsland?
Kids went nuts with the Cars's franchise. Otherwise.. how could explain the cars franchise selling BILLIONS in merchandise?.

Dunno about Avatar, but it was a hit with the female demographics(almost ever female friend of mine, praised the story and liked it a lot despite being pocahontas in space)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am often reminded, nauseatingly, of how inconsequential I am and this forum is ... how nothing of substance is said and how no one of substance is paying attention. Now, that is a crock of fetid dung, but if it helps people get through the day, I say ... whatever.

The last time I checked TWDC was the largest media corporation on the planet, so I can see why the casual fan that makes up the bulk of the community might think that, unlike a real media outlet, forums/outlets like this one wouldn't even make for a whisper at TDO, let alone in Burbank. That's the easy, convenient way of diminishing the impact of legitimate social media engagement such as this (while I haven't reached it yet, I know someone mentioned the typical Spirited thread gets half a million clicks and, let's be serious, they aren't all from Andy and Sean and Michael and etc. etc.)

Often, given the current media environment, a lot of people say a lot of things and get a lot of attention. And, when you have the veneer of 'legitimate media' that works as one hell of an amplifier. Truth? Quite frequently you'll find better sourced information regarding TWDC in one of these threads than in traditional press sources. I was reminded of this Sunday when it was brought to my attention that Peter Lauria, formerly of Reuters, the NY Post and the Daily Beast (yes, he blew all those jobs), had put out the most nonsensical piece of faux journalism in a meandering fairytale that had FOX buying Viacom. Only, with that veneer of his, he was able to place the idea that this complete nonsense was being discussed widely and openly in major media and financial circles.

Turns out, by early morning Monday he was aggressively walking back the story from his Twit feed @PeterLauria3 ... first it was a not so crazy idea, then it became crazy, then it became a weird dream of his, only to be labeled a work of ''fanfic'' ... in other words, folks, he made it up. The problem is that you'd only know that he admitted that if you were following his Twitter feed. So, in less than 24 hours we go from him proposing a seismic shift in the media world to 'hey kids, about that FOX buying Viacom story ... well, I sorta made it up for kicks while using some herbal potion' .

I mention this because when looking at his Twitter feed (see, I don't just pay attention to Ricky Brigante or Merfie or Amity Corless) this afternoon the veteran business writer Tweeted out 'this is main reason why Disney might want to buy Univision ...' and you see friends (and JT too!) this is how you can often have crazy baseless stuff that's given a sense of legitimacy while folks here try to discredit well-sourced information, and some rumours too, put out there by myself and a select few others. Guess what? Univision may well be a good fit for TWDC and Iger The Acquirer, but if you follow that Tweet of his it leads to ESPN's Don Van Natta's Tweet crowing about the US-Portugal soccer audience. A little bit of trivia here: Don's wife, Lizette Alvarez, wrote that story on Disney and Gambling Hypocrisy thru the Marvel slot machines that we were talking about last year (or probably five million Spirited clicks ago) here on MAGIC.

Long story short, believe it or don't, but we make a difference (some more than others ... but all of us).

And some of us provide much better, more accurate and faster information on Disney and UNI and their parks and resorts than the Peter Laurias out there. And ... we don't make it up as we go along. When we are wrong, we own up to it, even if it wasn't our fault.

Cesar R M

because not all boys want to grown up to be Princesses, even all boys who visit WDW.

Okay, that made me

th

And thanks, I needed a good laugh today.

Well, I certainly don't have WDW1974's contacts, and I have no expertise in what really goes into creating a Disney-level attraction...but I've had a feeling for a while that Disney was afraid to start building a Star Wars area. I figured it was maybe because it was waiting to see how the new movies do...a theory which I think makes at least some sense.

But if Disney's dragging its feet because it thinks SW doesn't appeal to the right demo...that makes no frickin sense at all.

Why the HECK did Disney buy Lucasfilm? Wasn't it because Iger felt Disney needed properties that are more appealing to boys, and he didn't want to have the Disney creatives come up with something new, because he's Iger and the flip side of Walt and also a cement head? So he just bought Lucas, a known brand especially loved by males, to solve that little demo problem. Right?

This focusing on target demographics is getting really stupid. Let me tell you something - one day I was in my grandma's attic, and I found some old stuff in a box. In that box was what looked like roadkill, but was actually the remains of a Davy Crockett coonskin hat. I brought it downstairs, by its raggedy old tail, and I laughingly asked my grandma why her brother didn't have it. She said "Because it's mine!" Yep, my grandma had AND wore a Davy Crockett coonskin hat when she was a kid...and it was special enough to her that she kept it in a box in the attic for like a million years (no offense, Grandma).

Personally, I think that demos based on gender don't matter all that much anymore. Grown men watch My Little Pony. Grown men loved Frozen, and other Disney films. Heck, maybe gender demos never DID matter that much, at least, not to Walt - he didn't care about target demographics. He just tried to create good stuff, and knew that good stuff will usually appeal to everybody.

Iger is a NERFHERDER and also a DOOKIE HEAD. That is all.
They could also bought the franchise just for the value of it?.
It still generates money based on merchandise.. meet and greets, dinners.. small shows and even the old movies/comics! Something you can leech with doing very little.

Bathrooms...gotta be bathrooms. Or maybe a new parking lot.
A new giant magician hat for every park center area!

They bought star wars to collect on the movies and merchandise. They will make plenty of money on those without star wars being further added to the parks.

Adding star wars is something they don't have to do, they should and in a scale which we couldn't imagine, but they don't have to. The money will be made outside of the parks.

are you my long lost brother? We have the same opinion in a lot of things!

FigmentJedi

Which is astoundingly ignorant of them considering Ashley Eckstein, one of the regular celebrity guests/co-hosts of their fanboi demos-based event actually started a Star Wars clothing line for women that was actively promoted at said events.

WDW1974

Original Poster
While I'm on the warpath here (has that old phrase become politically incorrect?), I want to clarify what I said before, not that it should be necessary.

BUT ... what was stated was:

1.) Star Wars has been delayed for many reasons;
2.) Some you have heard, some you haven't;
3.) Barring a zombie apocalypse (something @Lee is actively preparing for), it will be happening before 2020 at WDW and DLR;
4.) SW was purchased partly to increase content that appeals to boys (of all ages);
5.) Some folks high up the Disney chain have stated on the record concerns that SW attracts a crowd that is 'inconsistent' with the demos the company most seeks (think of recent weekends!);
6.) I placed this out there to show just how clueless and out of touch some folks who have positions of power at Disney are;

I really don't wish to debate this. I am stating it. Digest it as you please.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom