The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Spirited Monday Mindblowing Musing:

(to me anyway)

I had hoped to spend some time here, but another crazy Disney vs. UNI thread appeared, got my attention and took all the time I have right now.

But I had to drop this bit of news about Star Wars Land (please tell Dave that no talk of the actual land will happen here). It's something I've heard a few people say and I took it all in stride and moved on ... but someone with Disney brought this same point up to me late last night.

There are many reasons why Star Wars expansion at both DLR and WDW has been so delayed and all of them (from NGE overruns to new script for Episode VII etc) are true at least in part. BUT ... there is one other reason Disney has dallied around instead of digging right in (literally) and building: there are people at high levels of both WDW and TWDC that are afraid that Star Wars only attracts certain fanboi demos and that they are 'concerned' it won't appeal to the demos they are most after (Mommies and their 'wittle princesses). No, I am not kidding. I wish I were.

Do I think this absurdness will derail plans? Absolutely not.

Do I think there is any sanity to this? No. But this is what it has come to. Disney/Iger have aggressively gone out and spent billions on BOI-IP in Marvel and Lucasfilm because not all boys want to grown up to be Princesses, even all boys who visit WDW. But now that they have it, there are folks actually afraid that using it may harm its long policy of really only caring about the Mommies.

Is there some basis in reality for this? Possibly. Is it still freaking insane? Nah, just business as usual at your WDC.

Sorry, that's all I have time for right now.

Hope your Mondays were as productive as mine (yes, I may have made someone cry!)
So. Star Wars is a demographic concern, but the blue pony loaf that is Avatar isn't? Suppose it's all who you (or James Cameron) know....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Spirited Monday Mindblowing Musing:

(to me anyway)

I had hoped to spend some time here, but another crazy Disney vs. UNI thread appeared, got my attention and took all the time I have right now.

But I had to drop this bit of news about Star Wars Land (please tell Dave that no talk of the actual land will happen here). It's something I've heard a few people say and I took it all in stride and moved on ... but someone with Disney brought this same point up to me late last night.

There are many reasons why Star Wars expansion at both DLR and WDW has been so delayed and all of them (from NGE overruns to new script for Episode VII etc) are true at least in part. BUT ... there is one other reason Disney has dallied around instead of digging right in (literally) and building: there are people at high levels of both WDW and TWDC that are afraid that Star Wars only attracts certain fanboi demos and that they are 'concerned' it won't appeal to the demos they are most after (Mommies and their 'wittle princesses). No, I am not kidding. I wish I were.

Do I think there is any sanity to this? No. But this is what it has come to. Disney/Iger have aggressively gone out and spent billions on BOI-IP in Marvel and Lucasfilm because not all boys want to grown up to be Princesses, even all boys who visit WDW. But now that they have it, there are folks actually afraid that using it may harm its long policy of really only caring about the Mommies.

Is there some basis in reality for this? Possibly. Is it still freaking insane? Nah, just business as usual at your WDC.

Hope your Mondays were as productive as mine (yes, I may have made someone cry!)
My family is the exact demo they are targeting (minus the princess stuff since I have 2 sons). My kids are nuts over StarWars. They obsess over lego Star Wars and the other SW toys. They couldn't wait for the Yoda chronicles cartoon on Disney. It's not just the boys. My niece loves the Star Wars stuff too. So do my friends 2 daughters. Find a guy from my generation and I almost guarantee their kids at least like StarWars and have been exposed to it. If people running TWDC aren't aware of this they are blind or fools (maybe both). They see the SW merchandise machine cranking out cash from toys. I almost can't believe this could be true, but then again I have little faith in the current crew running things.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Ok that 74 post is bull - if Disney was all about just trying to attract "Mommies and their 'wittle princesses'" the someone please explain Carsland and Pandora, 2 of the biggest and most recent or current expansions taking place

Everyone just seems to buy into everything he says....it's almost funny to watch
Apparently that also includes you. But, I suppose we should all just wannabe at Disney....

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't see that link anywhere, even after several minutes. Firefox can't find it with CTRL-F, either. Maybe it's only there when @[IGNORED MEMBER] writes something...

It's only there on a page if there is an ignored post on that page.

crispy

As the mommy of two princesses, I have to say that this may be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Really, Disney, really? I swear, any time I help someone plan a trip, they always want to know how their kids (both boys and girls) can be involved with Jedi Training (or more accurately "that Star Wars thing"). People freaking love Star Wars and want to be immersed in it.

If they are worried about Star Wars not being appealing (seriously, the mind boggles) why in the hell would they ever think Avatar would be appealing to anyone. My flabber - it is ghasted (I realize that sounded dirty as soon as I typed it).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As the mommy of two princesses, I have to say that this may be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Really, Disney, really? I swear, any time I help some plan a trip, they always want to know how their kids (both boys and girls) can be involved with Jedi Training. People freaking love Star Wars and want to be immersed in it.

If they are worried about Star Wars not being appealing (seriously, the mind boggles) why in the hell would they ever think Avatar would be appealing to anyone. My flabber - it is ghasted (I realize that sounded dirty as soon as I typed it).
My son did Jedi Training Academy last November and there was an even mix of boys and girls. I'm thinking this is one or 2 people's narrow minded opinion. Anyone with actual stats or data would know it's simply not true that SW is just for boys.

Goofyernmost

If you really want to see something disgusting look at the carpet in the corners of any hotel room, Disney included. The corners will look brand new, compare that to traffic areas. I have never seen any place as bad as the All Stars or Pop Century.
Maybe that is because no one walks in the corners of the room. I thought you were going to say that they were built up with crude or other substance. Why wouldn't they be the least worn and best of the carpet or should they put in new carpet every other day so it is balanced.

I had nothing but positive experiences with FastPass+. After all the doom and gloom on this board, I was very apprehensive, but I found it balances the crowds throughout the park evenly.

Now why doesn't that surprise me, blinkered much?
I am not defending SJN1279, but I do have this to say. I have been going to WDW regularly for 31 years. I've HATED FP from the moment of it's inception, I still do because of what it did to the atmosphere and mood of the park. That said, however, I found FP+ to be much less stressful then the old system. I was able to get passes to attractions that I have never been able to before and once I had them all I had to do was plan my route to get there at the proper times. It was very simple and made my day much less hectic. Bonus Points: I stay offsite and didn't even get to the parks til almost 10am and picked my FP's after I arrived. That has never previously been possible.

The very idea of blaming FP+ for long lines, IN THE DAMN SUMMER, is ludicrous and being done just to complain about something that changed and didn't necessarily fit into personal agendas. In other words, it is all bull**** on both sides of the argument. That along with the insanity of thinking that if Disney hadn't spent that money on MM they would have used it to put in new attractions is just more than reason can support. At best, it would have been used to increase the bonus's of incompetent jerks that work in Disney's upper ranks.

Also the idea that this was spent for FP+ only, is again something that reasonable people would just shake their heads about, chuckle and move on. FP is just a miniscule part of the system, but, the one that the public is most aware of unfortunately.

Bairstow

If there are truly people in management who think the Star Wars expansion shouldn't be built (not just how), and they are influential enough to dictate strategy, wouldn't progress on the project have stopped altogether and not just been delayed?

Quinnmac000

However, I do get Disney's point. Lets be real here folks. Who do most of the planning for Disney trips? Moms, how many dad blogs do you see on google for Disney. Which park is the most crowded and area full of princess are the most busiest? Magic Kingdom and Fantasyland. As much as I would like to call this bull face that facts. You see more people busting down the door to meet Anna and Elsa than Darth Vader. Crying out, its lies when the signs show it possibly isn't lies is dumb. And Disney is also dumb though for neglecting one demographic over another.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Why would Disney think that SW would only appeal to certain demo.? Couldn't you say that about EVERY MOVIE EVER MADE? (Even Disney ones). Especially Avatar. Weren't there a lot of people who became suicidal after seeing it because they wanted to live in a place like Pandora but couldnt? Great demographic you bought into there, Disney.

Quinnmac000

If there are truly people in management who think the Star Wars expansion shouldn't be built (not just how), and they are influential enough to dictate strategy, wouldn't progress on the project have stopped altogether and not just been delayed?

They need to find a way to make a Princess Leia and Princess Amidala castle first and make it fit Star Wars.

John

Ok that 74 post is bull - if Disney was all about just trying to attract "Mommies and their 'wittle princesses'" the someone please explain Carsland and Pandora, 2 of the biggest and most recent or current expansions taking place

Everyone just seems to buy into everything he says....it's almost funny to watch

You know what? In all my years on the internet. I never called anyone a troll. I thought everyone had the right to their opinion. Never even considered it. Till now.

You have an opion that squarely goes polar opposite of the OP. Why even bother coming to this thread? To mock people? Just to be a contrarian? Your point? I wanna think that your a grown man.....that it possibly couldn't be jealousy? Trust me I am not a 74 fanbois. But I do enjoy his thread. There is information from him and other posters ( Parentsof4) that you will not find anywhere else. SO now my dear man STFU! before I beat you with a magic wand.

Bairstow

However, I do get Disney's point. Lets be real here folks. Who do most of the planning for Disney trips? Moms, how many dad blogs do you see on google for Disney. Which park is the most crowded and area full of princess are the most busiest? Magic Kingdom and Fantasyland. As much as I would like to call this bull**** face that facts. You see more people busting down the door to meet Anna and Elsa than Darth Vader. Crying out, its lies when the signs show it possibly isn't lies is dumb. And Disney is also dumb though for neglecting one demographic over another.

Wait... what?

bhg469

Cars Land was on the fence taken away and now I don't know. If his post was untrue it would be breaking ground. Pandora is scaled back and took forever to get shovels in the ground... there is probably truth to it.. they didn't rush to do anything for either project.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
However, I do get Disney's point. Lets be real here folks. Who do most of the planning for Disney trips? Moms, how many dad blogs do you see on google for Disney. Which park is the most crowded and area full of princess are the most busiest? Magic Kingdom and Fantasyland. As much as I would like to call this bull**** face that facts. You see more people busting down the door to meet Anna and Elsa than Darth Vader. Crying out, its lies when the signs show it possibly isn't lies is dumb. And Disney is also dumb though for neglecting one demographic over another.
Even if you were correct that most of the planning is done by moms you are missing the point. I have 2 sons. My wife doesn't sign them up for princess makeovers just because she is a woman. It's dumb to think that just because a mom plans the vacation there can't be things that appeal to the kids but not the parents.

DisneyGentleman

BUT ... there is one other reason Disney has dallied around instead of digging right in (literally) and building: there are people at high levels of both WDW and TWDC that are afraid that Star Wars only attracts certain fanboi demos and that they are 'concerned' it won't appeal to the demos they are most after (Mommies and their 'wittle princesses). No, I am not kidding. I wish I were.

Given the way they like to oversexualize little girls, all they have to add is a Disney Princess Leia Metal Bikini Makeover and all will be happy.

It's sick.

RSoxNo1

This is the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever heard. No where in their incoherent thought process did they approach anything that even resembled a rational thought. Everyone on these boards are now dumber having read it. I award Disney no points, and may God have mercy on their souls.

So let's try and understand this logic...
  • Princess and the Frog "failed" because the word Princess is in the title and males don't want to see a movie about Princesses.
  • They changed Rapunzel to Tangled and Snow Queen to Frozen so males don't think they're Princess movies. While this wasn't the reason these movies were more successful. They were more successful.
  • The initial plans for New Fantasyland were too Princess-centric and the concern was there was nothing for males: Enter a ride based on a Princess movie but named after the male characters in the movie.
Apparently all logic has gone out the window. The stigma for girls liking typical "boy" properties is far less than the stigma for boys liking typical "girl" properties. This is beyond stupid.

Quinnmac000

Wait... what?

Disney focusing on those who plans the trips to Disney which tend to be moms who stay at home. They are the ones who watch GMA and see those ads for Disney and are like Aww thats looks so cute lets go there. Star Wars demographic is more diverse but the focus isn't on them. I agree its dumb but I do get why.

And you can also blame the 4 hour long lines for Elsa and Anna for probably contributing to this thought process. The Princess hype destroys all hope for the male demographic at Disney unless they can also see the demand for that during Star Wars Weekend and such.

Bairstow

Disney focusing on those who plans the trips to Disney which tend to be moms who stay at home. They are the ones who watch GMA and see those ads for Disney and are like Aww thats looks so cute lets go there. Star Wars demographic is more diverse but the focus isn't on them. I agree its dumb but I do get why.

And you can also blame the 4 hour long lines for Elsa and Anna for probably contributing to this thought process. The Princess hype destroys all hope for the male demographic at Disney unless they can also see the demand for that during Star Wars Weekend and such.

And what brought you to this conclusion?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom