The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

PhotoDave219

Side Tangent:

Remember Sam Lau, the new head of Epcot who was brought in as the new head of transportation and then moved a few months back?

Well turns out he was making waves. Too many waves. He was trying to make too many changes and was pushing for things that would have cost money at the resorts. (Expanded load zones and other stuff) Now this would mean the individual resorts would have to pay for the construction, impacting the bottom line and the GM would no longer be able to save money and impacting his ability to earn a bonus. So they moved him.

Let that be a lesson, GSMs. You make waves, you make changes and they'll move you around.

This is in a nutshell why WDW's management culture is perverted into some sort of bloated, bureaucratic nightmare where its impossible to do anything and all thats important is the bottom line. They have no problem making the guests jump through those same hoops because after all, thats what management is used to doing in a day in, day out basis, so Why should it be any different for the guests? Why improve things for the guests because, after all, isn't getting a managerial bonus the most important thing here?

The culture inside WDW's management needs to change. It needs to be more guest centric. Do away with the bonuses or change the metric on how they're given. Too many peter principle paper pushers decide things rather than executives who are trying to improve and make things better.

If they want to improve the profit margins? Start slashing middle management.....

Okay back to your regularly scheduled Uni/WDW/Star Wars debate....

PhotoDave219

Well AK will probably equal Epcot (11.5-12 million) with those additions. Hollywood Studios is toast though..

Lets see what CapEx are in the FY15 budget.

And frankly, Dan should get a bonus for starting SW Land. My only fear is that they will want to include things from Ep7.... which means theres no way they can announce those details without putting spoilers out there. Which would put it in a 2019 timeframe.

Nubs70

Side Tangent:

Remember Sam Lau, the new head of Epcot who was brought in as the new head of transportation and then moved a few months back?

Well turns out he was making waves. Too many waves. He was trying to make too many changes and was pushing for things that would have cost money at the resorts. (Expanded load zones and other stuff) Now this would mean the individual resorts would have to pay for the construction, impacting the bottom line and the GM would no longer be able to save money and impacting his ability to earn a bonus. So they moved him.

Let that be a lesson, GSMs. You make waves, you make changes and they'll move you around.

This is in a nutshell why WDW's management culture is perverted into some sort of bloated, bureaucratic nightmare where its impossible to do anything and all thats important is the bottom line. They have no problem making the guests jump through those same hoops because after all, thats what management is used to doing in a day in, day out basis, so Why should it be any different for the guests? Why improve things for the guests because, after all, isn't getting a managerial bonus the most important thing here?

The culture inside WDW's management needs to change. It needs to be more guest centric. Do away with the bonuses or change the metric on how they're given. Too many peter principle paper pushers decide things rather than executives who are trying to improve and make things better.

If they want to improve the profit margins? Start slashing middle management.....

Do you or anyone know if WDW uses 360 degree performance reviews?

mahnamahna101

Lets see what CapEx are in the FY15 budget.

And frankly, Dan should get a bonus for starting SW Land. My only fear is that they will want to include things from Ep7.... which means theres no way they can announce those details without putting spoilers out there. Which would put it in a 2019 timeframe.
Star Wars is a go?

And I'd still say USF and IOA will have too much of a lead by 2019 over DHS. It's gonna take an overall park overhaul similar to DCA to fix the Studios.

spacemt354

Chili's
You must remember that there is a hell of a lot more people who haven't been to the Disney Parks than those that have. For many many many people, going to Disney is just a vague dream that they can't afford or they simply just don't care about Disney. These are the groups of people that I am referring to...I do know one person who was actually traveling to Disney and thought it was like Disneyland, with only "one" park. (Granted, she was a bit of an idiot who didn't do her research, but this stuff does happen) Anyways, for a lot of them, awareness of the other parks isn't necessarily there. Now that's not to see they may not have seen the "big golf ball," for example, but could they necessarily say it's in another park or actually name Epcot? Nope.
If someone has no interest in Disney (as you say they "don't care about Disney") why would you focus on them to prove your point? It doesn't really say that much to your claim that fantasyland defines Disney, because the people who don't care about Disney won't pay much attention to the commercials let alone what the commercial is actually depicting. I doubt someone who doesn't know Disney would even know the name of the land you're referring to.

Uh, where have you been the last 20 years of watching Disney commercials? NFE is obviously getting more play now, but this is not a new trend. I think the one time I really saw it switch, at least for a brief period, was when Toy Story Mania! came to DHS. Otherwise, it's always the castle, and often the princesses. And if you would notice, I wasn't saying the classic Disney rides aren't segregated to Fantasyland... But a lot of people aren't aware of that. If I took a pole of people asking where Pirates or Haunted Mansion was located in Disney, I can guarantee I would get a few answers saying they are in Fantasyland.

Still missing the point.
Hmm I seem to remember whenever a new attraction was opened, that would be the focus of the ad, if not the entire advertisement (ex: expedition Everest, new ToT back in 2004, new Star Tours, Finding Nemo in 2006, etc)

And of course you would get a few answers saying Fantasyland, but it depends on who you ask. If you ask someone who doesn't care about Disney (the people who were focusing on in your initial argument) I bet you wouldn't even get an answer. You'd get another question..."what's the haunted mansion?"

ParentsOf4

Side Tangent:

Side tangent?

Isn't what you wrote the central theme to nearly all of Mr. Spirit's threads?

In a nutshell, WDW isn't what it used to be, primarily because of the current culture among Disney's executive management. :(

PhotoDave219

Side tangent?

Isn't what you wrote the central theme to nearly all of Mr. Spirit's threads?

In a nutshell, WDW isn't what it used to be, primarily because of the current culture amongst Disney's executive management. :(

Well tangent to whats going on right now. Sadly, Mr. Lau fell victim to actually trying to do something. Current management is indoctrinated into meeting their numbers and collecting their bonuses and just coasting.

Only way it will get fixed is to clean house in the whole division.

wogwog

Well tangent to whats going on right now. Sadly, Mr. Lau fell victim to actually trying to do something. Current management is indoctrinated into meeting their numbers and collecting their bonuses and just coasting.

Mr. Lau is relatively new to Disney (a few years). Not part of the entrenched me me me leaders. Guess they had to stop all that make it better for guests radicalism. ;)

Bolna

Or give bonuses dependent on guest ratings. Just like on the cruise line where that "excellent" rating on the survey they give you on the last day is of such huge importance to the servers...

ParentsOf4

Why stop at the division?

In most companies, organizational problems typically originate at the top. ;)

PhotoDave219

Lots of stuff on Yahoo business about Potter at Universal. Reports about all of Potter costing around a billion dollars with the new ride costing almost half of that. Pundits also predicting the new area won't be as successful as the first. The user comments, being unedited and unmoderated are a riot.

I'm pretty sure these business guys do not know anything about themepark operations or what the public salivates for…

By chance, do you have a link. I'd like to read it first hand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom