The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

PhotoDave219

MC's part three of Diagon Alley coverage has been posted.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but that level do detail, with all the itty nooks and crannies is mind blowing.

Universal is hoping to make unbelievable amounts of money.

@PhotoDave219 you had mentioned they fed you...what did you try and how was it? The photos on MC's article literally made my stomach growl and mouth water.

Yes, we had our choice of anything on the menu. I needed to work, so I just had once thing.

I went for the special chicken sandwich with Peachtea Fizzy Tea. It was a little dry but still light years ahead of anything else I've hard at UOR quick service.... which shows you how bad UOR's QSR has been. Everything looked phenomenal when they had it all out for display.

There are a multitude of HP themed drinks, away from the famed butterbeer. Which is nice unless youre dying for a mocha latte or a coke. FOREWARNING: The only beverages that are not Harry Potter drinks are real beer, in the corner of Carkitt Market. I saw Stella & Yungling. There is no actual "bar" desipte the billboard of whiskey above it.... much to my dismay.

bubbles1812

MC's part three of Diagon Alley coverage has been posted.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but that level do detail, with all the itty nooks and crannies is mind blowing.

Universal is hoping to make unbelievable amounts of money.

@PhotoDave219 you had mentioned they fed you...what did you try and how was it? The photos on MC's article literally made my stomach growl and mouth water.
Me'thinks they are going to succeed. I was astounded looking at the new merchandise in the videos. That 400-500 million price tag will be made back in no time.

71jason

There was some free entertainment in the Twittersphere today.

Approximately, it went like this.

[An amazing recap redacted--please go read it if you haven't yet]

Still not as much fun as the time Faraci wrote a long piece explaining why Wall-E is a date rapist. :cool:

(I don't think our Jungle Skipper friend has been following Devin very long or he'd know not to engage him. I still remember the brutal wars he got into re: the above and the third act of Batman Begins on CHUD.)

PhotoDave219

I know that's the obvious choice, but...I. WANT. JABBA'S. PALACE.

I want to walk in that gate, I want to sit down in the throne room, I want to be served a severely overpriced mediocre meal, I want to be entertained by animatronics of Salacious, the Max Rebo Band (CLASSIC MEMBERS ONLY - NO SE MUPPET CRAP!), and of course, Jabba himself, with walk around characters like Boba Fett and Bib Fortuna, I want to be sold souvenir drink mugs, I want to overpay for a replica of myself as a pewter Bear in Carbonite, and I want some G-rated Jabba's Dancers (though, Jabba was an affable guy, so at least one slave boy to balance out the girls).

I fully and willingly expect to pay at least $150/pp for the experience, plus drop another $100+ on photo package and souvenirs, and I would walk out one happy mother frakking guest who would probably do it at least twice on a week-long trip. Every trip.

.... I'm fine with PG dancers. Maybe PG-13.

PhotoDave219

No body who has a clue is saying that Uni will pass WDW in total attendance, at least not for the foreseeable future. But it's entirely possible a single park at Uni would be having higher attendance then one at WDW on any given day.

I sincerely doubt it would surpass in total attendance. Outdrawing DAK or DHS for the rest of the summer? Thats a possibility.

spacemt354

Chili's
Disney is not defined by one attraction or land. That is true too, but only to a point. I could easily argue that Fantasyland is what defines Disney. When people think of Disney, they usually think of the Magic Kingdom (Tons aren't aware the other parks exist, you know). And when people think of Magic Kingdom, it's usually the rides in Fantasyland that come to mind first, unless you've visited there already and know what you like. Why do you think Dumbo gets so much playing time on commercials? Why do you think the princesses are so heavily forced down people's throats? Why do you think so much emphasis gets placed on the "Disney Classics"...Obviously that's a rather heterogeneous group of movies, but still, they are all grouped together, and define people's expectations of what to expect at Disney. And why do you think Fantasyland was the one that got the new addition and not say, Tomorrowland (which needs a major revamp). Disney is defined by Fantasyland in many respects.

I agree up until this paragraph. I would like to know who are the "tons" of people who think that Walt Disney World only consists of the Magic Kingdom and aren't aware other parks exist. There's always going to be an exceptional few, but "tons" implies that many are not aware of this, and I don't believe that is true.

Fantasyland, Dumbo, princesses etc are getting a lot of commercials because that is the newest addition to the Magic Kingdom, not because Disney World is defined by Fantasyland. I would say perhaps for a specific age range, (girls 3-9 maybe) that Fantasyland is the "must-see" attraction, but Disney classics aren't segregated to Fantasyland.

I think youcould argue for a specific age-group, Disney World is defined by Fantasyland, but even then for that age group who likes princesses, they can find the princesses in a lot of other places throughout the parks.

PhotoDave219

I agree up until this paragraph. I would like to know who are the "tons" of people who think that Walt Disney World only consists of the Magic Kingdom and aren't aware other parks exist. There's always going to be an exceptional few, but "tons" implies that many are not aware of this, and I don't believe that is true.

Fantasyland, Dumbo, princesses etc are getting a lot of commercials because that is the newest addition to the Magic Kingdom, not because Disney World is defined by Fantasyland. I would say perhaps for a specific age range, (girls 3-9 maybe) that Fantasyland is the "must-see" attraction, but Disney classics aren't segregated to Fantasyland.

I think youcould argue for a specific age-group, Disney World is defined by Fantasyland, but even then for that age group who likes princesses, they can find the princesses in a lot of other places throughout the parks.

I agree. For a communications company, they do a horrible job of communicating information to the guests.

seascape

High
This year... yes, by 2017? Hollywood Studios is #6, while Animal Kingdom is only a million ahead. Epcot not too far behind. By 2024, Universal very well could frog-hop AK and Epcot in terms of attendance. Comcast shows no signs of stopping. And those parks are mainly stagnant. It's not illogical to assume a park that's adding immersive, exciting worlds and attractions will soar past two half day ones and another that's in need of a massive update
Are you saying that either US or IoA can draw close to 20 million a year in parks their size? If you are you are absolutely crazy. They do not have the physical size to more than double their attendance. On the other hand if the combine the 2 parks into one gate it is possible for them to be the number 2 gate in Orlando. In fact they should be if it were one ticket for what is now 2.

71jason

Adventureland location having the benefit(?) of the club looking like adventurers belong to it… A mainstreet location off the back alley arching over the bypass could be lovely. Because who hasn’t had a great time down an alley off mainstreet.

If only Disney had some adventurer-related IP they could use in a club that fanbois would eat up with a spoon.

(Because I wouldn't put it past them...)

nor'easter

Never said he wasn't quite extremely knowledgeable. Just saying that ridicule or degrading are not really good debating tools unless, of course, you're running for political office. Debate involves counter points, not name calling and labeling in a demeaning manner. That just makes it seem more like middle school bullying.
Who says everything is debatable? There actually are some absolute truths.

The world is not flat.

Climate change is real.

Disney invested in magic bands and has not put money into new attractions like Universal has.

Universal's new attractions are spectacular.

Disneyphiles who spend over $100 to go to a park to stand in line for four hours to see a teenager dressed as a cartoon princess are pixie dust addicted (that one might be debatable...they could be mentally ill).

And a favorite of yours.....obese people should not run marathons.

I find WDW74's comments refreshingly honest.Sometimes his style is needed to impart a dose of reality.

Cesar R M

This year... yes, by 2017? Hollywood Studios is #6, while Animal Kingdom is only a million ahead. Epcot not too far behind. By 2024, Universal very well could frog-hop AK and Epcot in terms of attendance. Comcast shows no signs of stopping. And those parks are mainly stagnant. It's not illogical to assume a park that's adding immersive, exciting worlds and attractions will soar past two half day ones and another that's in need of a massive update
Imho; It all depends on how good Avatar and River of lights is, and how good the upgrades to AKL will be.
DHS still looks very stagnant for the time being...

bubbles1812

I agree up until this paragraph. I would like to know who are the "tons" of people who think that Walt Disney World only consists of the Magic Kingdom and aren't aware other parks exist. There's always going to be an exceptional few, but "tons" implies that many are not aware of this, and I don't believe that is true
You must remember that there is a hell of a lot more people who haven't been to the Disney Parks than those that have. For many many many people, going to Disney is just a vague dream that they can't afford or they simply just don't care about Disney. These are the groups of people that I am referring to...I do know one person who was actually traveling to Disney and thought it was like Disneyland, with only "one" park. (Granted, she was a bit of an idiot who didn't do her research, but this stuff does happen) Anyways, for a lot of them, awareness of the other parks isn't necessarily there. Now that's not to see they may not have seen the "big golf ball," for example, but could they necessarily say it's in another park or actually name Epcot? Nope.

Uh, where have you been the last 20 years of watching Disney commercials? NFE is obviously getting more play now, but this is not a new trend. I think the one time I really saw it switch, at least for a brief period, was when Toy Story Mania! came to DHS. Otherwise, it's always the castle, and often the princesses. And if you would notice, I wasn't saying the classic Disney rides aren't segregated to Fantasyland... But a lot of people aren't aware of that. If I took a pole of people asking where Pirates or Haunted Mansion was located in Disney, I can guarantee I would get a few answers saying they are in Fantasyland.

I think you could argue for a specific age-group, Disney World is defined by Fantasyland, but even then for that age group who likes princesses, they can find the princesses in a lot of other places throughout the parks.
Still missing the point.

mahnamahna101

High

Are you saying that either US or IoA can draw close to 20 million a year in parks their size? If you are you are absolutely crazy. They do not have the physical size to more than double their attendance. On the other hand if the combine the 2 parks into one gate it is possible for them to be the number 2 gate in Orlando. In fact they should be if it were one ticket for what is now 2.
Epcot, AK and DHS draw 10-12 million... you lose

Mike S

Now, this really isn't part of the topic but I thought it would be appropriate to share this experience in Spirits thread. I just went on Living with the Land and while I noticed many of the AA's were non functioning, that's not what this is about. There was a family behind me and the dad kept commenting how neat the ride was to his kids and they did seem to be interested. Then before we got off he asked his kids how they liked it and then said something that blew me away. "Epcot is different, it's not about rides, it's about learning" :jawdrop: This, coming from what seemed to be a normal non message board reading family in Disney World. If only TDO would listen before they screw this park up beyond repair :banghead:

Last edited:

71jason

@WDW1974 (or any other knowledgeable insider): all sorts of rumors swirling in the Orlando entertainment community re: "The Observatory," i.e. what Planet Hollywood is supposed to become in Disney Springs. Specifically, that it may feature interactive improv comedy.

Will the restaurant still be run by PH, or is it reverting back to Disney? Have you heard anything about the finished product?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom