The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

rael ramone

But what you are getting at... issuing shares to fund new theme park stuff.. it's not going to happen. There is no need to. The company has cash, credit and borrowing power. Issuing shares devalues existing shares through dillution.. it would be frowned upon to do that for things it should be financing when the company has easy financing capabilities.

Unfortuately yes you are correct. The 'cash, credit and borrowing power' that somehow is more than enough for them to load up on their own overpriced shares, but somehow isn't enough for them to do more than token improvements (in many cases outright de-furbs like the Poly Lobby) or even to maintain the property to MCO Airport standards, nevermind Walt standards. But it's certainly too high for the insiders to 'put their money where their mouth is' and buy shares on the open market. I just took a look at the Thomson Reuters report on $DIS. Last 5 2nd quarters (fiscal 2nd quarter 5 years in a row) - average insider share sells total rounds to $13 million. Insider buys average during the same period. $0. Not rounded. $0.

The fine reports by @PhotoDave219 and others about what Jimmy Fallon's employer is doing up on I-4 - with an IP that already deeply resonated with the public in each of it's two different media forms (Books & Film) is about to add to the park another richly detailed immersive land based on it that further strengthens the franchise it's based on. It will give it life for years to come. It has the potential to turn UNI into the 'right of passage' vacation destination.

And what is the Mouse doing in the swamps? Avatar for one. A one film (so far) 'franchise' that made a ton of coin because of the 'wow' visuals but without characters/story/'message' that in any way, shape or form resonates with the public. But the film has 'wow' visuals. 'Wow' costs money. And that 'wow' is going to have to make up for the fact the content doesn't resonate - or they'll end up having to shoehorn another franchise in that area - maybe they'll make it Roger Deans Yesland! Soaring Thru Topographic Oceans! South Side of the Sandwich! The Revealing Science of Gifts! (actually I think that sounds pretty good myself).

(Costa Rica goal. should make up for that outright foul Italy commited in the penalty area that wasn't called).

2nd - Frozen. Already a bigger franchise than Avatar (would any of those blue aliens have a 4 hour wait for a meet & greet?). But they need something that is going to 'enhance' this franchise to give it an extended life. I don't think an overlay will do the trick.

And then theres Star Wars. Arguably a smaller franchise to the public than Potter *before* the UNI additions. Equaling Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley may not even be enough. It's gonna have to be multiple attractions that serve all age groups. It's gonna have to ooze detail & quality. It may have to do some of the heavy lifting for the franchise as a whole if JJ does to Star Wars what he did to Trek ('maybe if I'll put enough lens flares in it they won't notice that I'm descecrating these iconic franchise defining characters'). And it's gonna have to be something that they are willing to maintain. And perhaps more importantly - it needs to be built in a time frame that pays no attention to 'making the current fiscal quarter look good'.

But since the Mouse is primarily in the hotel/timeshare business in the swamps - what are they going to do to make these resorts do their own heavy lifting? 'Stay in room days' should be for more than healing yourself for doing the parks commando. A $500 room should offer much more to do and enjoy within it's own grounds.
And theres that old 'vacation kingdom' thing.

All this stuff, to do right and before it's too late, will cost lots of $$$ in a time frame that they aren't used to be spending in.

Even then, if they do this while neglecting the foundation (maintenance, cleanliness, and the CM's) it's just like adding a fancy third floor to a house when the first floor has termites. (And, I don't know, but if they pay First World wages to the cast, they'll not only attract better CM's and get better work out of them, but as the largest employer in the area it would force the other businesses to raise their wages to compete - then you have a local population with more money to spend on your product).

And what happens to what once was 47 square miles is no longer the family right of passage? Live off of ESPN carriage fees? (until the worldwide leader ceases to be the worldwide leader in desirable sports content and/or a la carte pricing happens).

They way to reduce the tourist dollar from heading up I-4 is to increase the value of every nook & cranny in the resort. Make the parks much more immersive. Make the resorts much more immersive. If the guest feels that there is so much they need to experience on property from the parks to the auxiliary diversions on property to their own resort - maybe, just maybe - instead of spending that money to visit the wizard they'll use it to buy that knickknack in Liberty Square that's there primarily to add to the theme and enjoyment of that area.

The combination of cash on hand, historically cheap debt, and those overpriced shares that could potentially be used to fund this leaves no excuse for this not to happen.

Then again, this might reduce the shares 5 basis points in the short term, reducing Igers return when he 'hot potatoes' his shares the microsecond they become vested. ok, nevermind. Mouse Arrest Bands, Cockerell Fries, and more of the Magical Motorcoach it is.:mad:

(Costa Rica just eliminated jolly ol England before they even played them... off to the WC thread)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
As I stated, the issue is not one of thread drift but of lying. Claiming that Universal is only coasters is the base go-to for trying to stir the pot in threads where the tone is quite positive towards Universal Orlando Resort. Somebody always tries and then claims they were just stating their innocent opinion and not looking for reactions.
The question becomes is the poster misinformed or doing it purposefully? I honestly have no idea. I'll drop it since I don't really know for sure.
Besides, everyone knows that Universal is just a collection of video screen rides :p

(see, that was trolling)

bhg469

Unfortuately yes you are correct. The 'cash, credit and borrowing power' that somehow is more than enough for them to load up on their own overpriced shares, but somehow isn't enough for them to do more than token improvements (in many cases outright de-furbs like the Poly Lobby) or even to maintain the property to MCO Airport standards, nevermind Walt standards. But it's certainly too high for the insiders to 'put their money where their mouth is' and buy shares on the open market. I just took a look at the Thomson Reuters report on $DIS. Last 5 2nd quarters (fiscal 2nd quarter 5 years in a row) - average insider share sells total rounds to $13 million. Insider buys average during the same period. $0. Not rounded. $0.

The fine reports by @PhotoDave219 and others about what Jimmy Fallon's employer is doing up on I-4 - with an IP that already deeply resonated with the public in each of it's two different media forms (Books & Film) is about to add to the park another richly detailed immersive land based on it that further strengthens the franchise it's based on. It will give it life for years to come. It has the potential to turn UNI into the 'right of passage' vacation destination.

And what is the Mouse doing in the swamps? Avatar for one. A one film (so far) 'franchise' that made a ton of coin because of the 'wow' visuals but without characters/story/'message' that in any way, shape or form resonates with the public. But the film has 'wow' visuals. 'Wow' costs money. And that 'wow' is going to have to make up for the fact the content doesn't resonate - or they'll end up having to shoehorn another franchise in that area - maybe they'll make it Roger Deans Yesland! Soaring Thru Topographic Oceans! South Side of the Sandwich! The Revealing Science of Gifts! (actually I think that sounds pretty good myself).

(Costa Rica goal. should make up for that outright foul Italy commited in the penalty area that wasn't called).

2nd - Frozen. Already a bigger franchise than Avatar (would any of those blue aliens have a 4 hour wait for a meet & greet?). But they need something that is going to 'enhance' this franchise to give it an extended life. I don't think an overlay will do the trick.

And then theres Star Wars. Arguably a smaller franchise to the public than Potter *before* the UNI additions. Equaling Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley may not even be enough. It's gonna have to be multiple attractions that serve all age groups. It's gonna have to ooze detail & quality. It may have to do some of the heavy lifting for the franchise as a whole if JJ does to Star Wars what he did to Trek ('maybe if I'll put enough lens flares in it they won't notice that I'm descecrating these iconic franchise defining characters'). And it's gonna have to be something that they are willing to maintain. And perhaps more importantly - it needs to be built in a time frame that pays no attention to 'making the current fiscal quarter look good'.

But since the Mouse is primarily in the hotel/timeshare business in the swamps - what are they going to do to make these resorts do their own heavy lifting? 'Stay in room days' should be for more than healing yourself for doing the parks commando. A $500 room should offer much more to do and enjoy within it's own grounds.
And theres that old 'vacation kingdom' thing.

All this stuff, to do right and before it's too late, will cost lots of $$$ in a time frame that they aren't used to be spending in.

Even then, if they do this while neglecting the foundation (maintenance, cleanliness, and the CM's) it's just like adding a fancy third floor to a house when the first floor has termites. (And, I don't know, but if they pay First World wages to the cast, they'll not only attract better CM's and get better work out of them, but as the largest employer in the area it would force the other businesses to raise their wages to compete - then you have a local population with more money to spend on your product).

And what happens to what once was 47 square miles is no longer the family right of passage? Live off of ESPN carriage fees? (until the worldwide leader ceases to be the worldwide leader in desirable sports content and/or a la carte pricing happens).

They way to reduce the tourist dollar from heading up I-4 is to increase the value of every nook & cranny in the resort. Make the parks much more immersive. Make the resorts much more immersive. If the guest feels that there is so much they need to experience on property from the parks to the auxiliary diversions on property to their own resort - maybe, just maybe - instead of spending that money to visit the wizard they'll use it to buy that knickknack in Liberty Square that's there primarily to add to the theme and enjoyment of that area.

The combination of cash on hand, historically cheap debt, and those overpriced shares that could potentially be used to fund this leaves no excuse for this not to happen.

Then again, this might reduce the shares 5 basis points in the short term, reducing Igers return when he 'hot potatoes' his shares the microsecond they become vested. ok, nevermind. Mouse Arrest Bands, Cockerell Fries, and more of the Magical Motorcoach it is.:mad:

(Costa Rica just eliminated jolly ol England before they even played them... off to the WC thread)

Its like musings of @WDW1974 with the manners @ParentsOf4 yet less math!

A+ post, would read again!

Mike S

Boy-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Cesar R M

What is the difference between this thread and the Bob Saget one other that where they are located?

The point I was trying to make was as great as Universal might be to some, it does not appeal to everyone. Could I have been more straight forward with that sentiment sure, but I didn't think I had to.

The bob saget thread is completely nonsensical and you can post absolutely anything there.
This thread is for discussing WDW1974's opinion and information of the parks.. its pretty simple.

seen that one, add the ridiculous long added time in the finale.. almost made me wonder if they wanted to give Italy the opportunity to fight back.

since when Avatar had a M&G working with the blue guys?

Woah hold on.. since when STAR WARS is considered a "smaller franchise" than Potter?

I actually laughed at how bad the "giants" have been playing recently.
Spain was terrible from start to finish.
Brazil depended mostly on dubious calls to advance.
Italy as been high and down.
England is also a total disappointing.

NowInc

...seriously...some of you need to really reflect on your ages and how you act towards others, on both sides of this argument. Trolling, Bullying..etc. Seriously? Opinions should not be attacked, regardless of how off the wall they are or how much you disagree with them...as they are OPINIONS. If someone doesn't like something, that is their right..end of story. No need to follow that up with a snarky comment.

PhotoDave219

What is the difference between this thread and the Bob Saget one other that where they are located?

The point I was trying to make was as great as Universal might be to some, it does not appeal to everyone. Could I have been more straight forward with that sentiment sure, but I didn't think I had to.

If we're going to bring up Bob Sagat, I'm going to link to his performance of the legendary joke "The Aristocrats"....

ParentsOf4

Would lowering rates to make them more affordable, in turn raising occupancy, but adding more stress to transportation infrastructure and a need for more employees, help the bottom line? Would they break even?

Maybe that's why they keep them sky-high. Unless I hit the lottery or win some kind of trip there is no chance I'll ever stay at a deluxe. Thankfully we're close enough just to sleep at home.

I'm not a business wiz just asking.
Generally, hotel profitability is rather like a hockey stick. Using a fictitious hotel as an example, a 50% occupancy rate is needed for that hotel to breakeven on profitability. Above that level, the incremental cost of servicing additional guests plummets. In this example, the difference in profitability between a 50% and a 60% occupancy rate can be significant.

Conversely, a slightly lower occupancy rate can have a tremendous effect on profitability.

Ideally, Disney wants to set room rates in order to maximize total profit. Disney wants to balance between occupancy and room rate to produce the greatest margin. This balance depends on what the market will bear.

Historically, WDW operated at an incredibly high occupancy rate that approached and often exceeded 90%.

In the last 5 years, WDW's occupancy has headed downward.

In 2013, WDW's hotel occupancy rate was in the mid-70% range, a level comparable to 2002, a time when WDW closed wings and even entire hotels in the post-9/11 environment.

There are several possible reasons for this. However, given the strong theme park attendance in the last couple of years, what's clear is that, in growing numbers, paying customers no longer are finding 'value' in onsite stays. The gap between actual price and perceived value has grown large enough so that hotel occupancy is down even as theme park attendance is up.

Ideally, Disney wants both high prices and high occupancy. The way to achieve this is to add perceived value in WDW's hotels, taking advantage of Disney's unique position.

We already are familiar with this concept through Extra Magic Hours (EMH) and Disney's Magical Express (DME). Both provide customers with reasons to spend more to stay onsite. However, at current prices, these are no longer enough, resulting in an erosion of WDW's occupancy rate.

Realistically, Disney is not going to lower prices. They are at the point where they run "30% off" promotions for most of the year and yet occupancy remains stubbornly low.

Therefore, Disney needs to find new ways to add perceived value to onsite stays. As an extreme example, if Disney offered "50% off" theme park tickets to onsite guests, then occupancy would skyrocket. MyMagic+ represents another opportunity for Disney to differentiate itself with area hotels to provide perceived value.

Unfortunately, Disney's current management has been insultingly obtuse in their pricing strategies of late.

The Disney Dining Plan (DDP) used to offer about the equivalent of a 20% discount to guests who purchased it. "Agree to stay onsite & eat all you meals at a Disney restaurant, and we'll offer a discount." More recently, DDP prices have increased so much that it pretty much requires ordering the most expensive item on the menu and eating every bite in order to realize any financial savings. Today's DDP is nothing more than a prepaid meal plan. If you want a prepaid meal plan that provides a better value, then go purchase a debit card before your trip.

Earlier this year, Disney raised the price of a 5-day ticket by $15 and then immediately offered a "free day" (the equivalent of $10) to parties of 6 or more. P.T. Barnum aside, most guests are not that stupid.

Disney management needs to get more creative and offer real value. Simplistically, Disney needs to find new ways for the customer to perceive $2 in value for something that cost Disney $1.

Last edited:

RivieraJenn

Oh and for the record, if your grand kids are too young to enjoy universal they're probably too young to appreciate much and would most likely be amused by a refrigerator box too, so why not save the money and buy a new appliance and build a fort!

Whoa, hey, don't knock a good refrigerator box. That is some high-quality entertainment that no theme park can match! (And I'm only partially kidding...a fridge box is literally all my son asked for from Santa last year!)

bhg469

Whoa, hey, don't knock a good refrigerator box. That is some high-quality entertainment that no theme park can match! (And I'm only partially kidding...a fridge box is literally all my son asked for from Santa last year!)
Thats what Im saying! When I was a kid couch forts were the norm but large boxes were amazing, untapped potential..

I may make a couch fort this afternoon just to see what the wife says when she gets home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom