Ratatouille in Epcot

wdwfan4ver

Seriously. I could think of at least 100 projects I'd rather see than the very expensive Rataouille ride.

How about the MI coaster at DHS? SW land? New countries for WS? New Imagination? Replacement for EO? Replacement for Energy? Carsland?

Anything?
The Rataouille Ride really is cheaper for TDO than MI Coaster,or New Countries for WS. I am saying this because the attraction actually would cost TDO less since the attraction is already being work on at Walt Disney Studios Park. The fact is TDO doesn't have to pay for the Research and Development of the ride unlike what is happening

TDO doesn't mind doing attractions for another park when the R&D and other costs are already paid for from another Disney theme park that isn't in Walt Disney World. TDO does have history of bring attractions that already were paid by other Disney theme parks world wide like Soarin', Little Mermaid attraction, and Fantasmic as examples.

KCheatle

I like the idea. I don't think it's expanding into an area we haven't already been since we had Remy at the French restaurant for years. So, we're not adding a character-element that wasn't already there. They need some additional attractions around the world showcase. I would say the vast majority of people at WDW are there with kids. While my DH and I love the WS, I know my kids get bored with it, and I don't blame them. I got bored with it too when I was a kid. Adding a kid-friendly ride makes sense. The vast majority of us will never have the opportunity to experience it overseas, so I have no issue with them copying and pasting it here.

Omnispace

I've heard this word several tiles here and it always makes me cringe: "Synergy". I can imagine it being tossed around film studio boardrooms by clueless pitchmen in suits (and beards) as if it is the definitive justification for every lame idea thought-up in Hollywood, (and Burbank). Synergy gave us the Imagination Institute, Nemo in the Seas, Donald in Mexico, and all the other ill-fit intrusions that have been discussed over and over on these boards. It's unfortunate that people are willing to be so forgiving on theme just to get anything new and fresh.

I'm a proponent for more attractions in WS, and I know that travelogues are no longer the answer, but I would rather see something more creative and more interesting to adults than yet another truncated cartoon movie IP. I have no doubt that the rat ride is going to be a fun little adventure but it's honestly not a good fit for WS despite the "synergy" it may create -- (the premise of the ride only extends Disney's creative streak of something "BIG" being novel). I am really wondering if Disney is ever again going to move outside their comfort zone on an attraction so we may once again be pleasantly surprised by something that challenges both our imagination and intellect.

the-secret-life-of-walter-mitty-Adam-Scott.jpg

Captain Neo

Lorax didn't get greenlit, this time. It's back on the shelf for now.
JP addition is still creeping along, but behind Kong in the lineup.

Why the Eff is Kong a priority when the last Kong movie bombed back in 2005 and Jurassic park has a major movie coming out next summer that Universal is hoping will relaunch the franchise? King Kong next to JP also totally destroys the coherent JP theme and kills any little hope left for a major JP e-ticket (something like the jeep safari) from ever getting built.

Combined with the dumb carnival games, closing of Trike Encounter, and Harry Potter eating up the east side it's really sad what happened to the JP island. It used to be so faithful to the novels and film it was a really believable park within a park.

Magenta Panther

I feel kinda torn about this. I love the movie, and I think Ratatouille would fit okay into World Showcase's France, thanks to the movie's theme being built around French cuisine. But on the other hand...I'd rather have an Ireland pavilion and a Yellow Submarine ride added to Great Britain. You know, truly new stuff, not another clone. But if the Rat ride did get built in Epcot, I wouldn't complain too much, as long as it's a GOOD ride. I guess.

Now having said that, I'm one of those folks who likes WS just as it is. I always have a good time there. And of course I LOVE Maelstrom. In fact, I wish that every country in WS could have a similar, cool, country-themed dark ride like that one. That's what I'd want rather than the Rat ride. Come on TDO. You can do better than clones. WS deserves better. Be bold and take a risk. That was Walt's way to draw in customers. I'm tired of looking down the street at Universal for new, innovative attractions. :(

Last edited:

DisneyGentleman

But that would be more difficult and expensive than just doing a direct lift of the Rat. Like I said...lazy.

World a Showcase needs new countries with appropriate attractions, not more cartoon invasion. Next up, Mulan ride in China.
Then if lazy is the term de jour, one can only expect

Journey into your Kitchen Cabaret Imagination
starring

Remy as Figment

CinematicFusion

Just wondering out loud, but might not it make some sense to refit this ride system (with new props and theme, of course) into Imagination?

always like the idea of a redo of imagination. But, I think it would be better to create a new attraction before closing another down and giving it a redesign. Epcot lost a lot when test track we
It would be great in my opinion to build the France ride and once completed move towards a redesign of imagination.
However, trackless ride system could only be used on one. I to would like the trackless ride system to be used in a new imagination concept.
The only way a character-based attraction can be said to "fit the overall theme of" World Showcase is if you interpret that theme only on the most superficial level.

Ratatouille fits perfectly in Hollywood Studios or in Fantasyland; It fits in Epcot about as well as it would fit in Animal Kingdom (they have rats in Africa, so...).

If there is anything to this rumor - and that's a pretty big If - you have to wonder why its not slated for the Studios as bad as that park needs help. As @Lee noted, there are better ideas for Epcot.

You think it wouldn't work, I think it would. Just opinions on a rumor. I think we can all relax and say with almost guaranteed certainty that nothing is going to be built anytime soon in Epcot.
You will get your wish...this ride won't be made along with anything else at the park. With the exception of new soarin.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The Rataouille Ride really is cheaper for TDO than MI Coaster,or New Countries for WS. I am saying this because the attraction actually would cost TDO less since the attraction is already being work on at Walt Disney Studios Park. The fact is TDO doesn't have to pay for the Research and Development of the ride unlike what is happening
LPS costs a small fortune to build and maintain.

R&D was done and paid for with the MI Coaster years ago. It is literally all sitting on a shelf (or a tablet ;) )

CDavid

You think it wouldn't work, I think it would. Just opinions on a rumor.

Appropriateness for theme is not a matter of opinion. We can each hold a different view of what flavor of ice cream is best (World Class Chocolate), but our personal opinion does not alter the definition of a given theme to make it suit our preferences. It's a perfectly valid opinion that you would like to see Ratatouille in World Showcase, but no matter how strongly you may hold to your opinion, it cannot change the theme to make Ratatouille fit.

You can still advocate putting the attraction in France all you want, that's legitimate, you just have to do so with the understanding that thematically it just doesn't fit. That is no way suggests the ride wouldn't physically work in World Showcase or that it wouldn't be popular (or potentially even well executed). I never said anything like that. But there are far, far more appropriate locations within Walt Disney World to place a Ratatouille attraction, and many of them are like the Studios - longing for new additions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom