Ratatouille in Epcot

Turtle

Original Poster
The reason why I'm all for this is because Ratatouille is not a wide-eyed cartoon that's whacky and zany (a.k.a Tres Caballeros in Mexico or 90% fictional a.k.a Frozen in Norway).

It's intelligent and cultural, and it fits World Showcase. Its a stretch to fit it. But it does. It doesn't take away from what was built. It will bring a fresh, new, exciting ride that will be one of the best in the resort.

Animaniac93-98

If it's cheaper to build it's more likely to happen.

And it's this attitude that irks me the most.

"We can rebuild it, we have the technology....but I don't want to spend a lot of money."

It's not like France specifically is more deserving of a ride than one of the pavilions that currently has no attraction at all.

CinematicFusion

Great Great Idea for Disney. This ride fits perfect in World Showcase. It screams synergy.
1. It brings a Family E-Ticket ride to the Epcot park...always a plus.
2. This ride is about food and will be placed inside the World Showcase area of the park. This ride will be used to advertise the World Showcase, the food and wine festival, it will bring people to the side of the park that has all the food. Money for Disney. Smart move. If this ride can entertain riders and more importantly make the riders hungry...then this will be an amazing ride for the area.
3. It fits with the theme of World Showcase like no other ride. Everyone wanted the Mount Fuji roller Coaster but to me that would seem out of place in World Showcase. Ratatouille ride will blend in perfectly with the area.

Again great move...now to see if this is just a rumor or if it will be built sometime after Star Wars land is finally finished in 2025.

CDavid

Honestly is there enough room in and outside of France to make an attraction of this size?

There is sufficient space behind the existing pavilion, and an entire empty expansion pad next door, although I would hate to see them use it.

Another attraction in France would be better than nothing in WS, but I think I'd rather see attractions in the pavilions that currently have none (e.g. Germany and Japan). But I suppose taking a previously imagineered attraction from another park is much easier.

I 'd love to finally see the Rhine River Cruise, but of course it isn't nearly as marketable as Ratatouille.

Assuming the full rat experience comes to the France pavilion I could definitely see a 9am opening time with a character breakfast at the new restaurant. That would be a big money maker

All of World Showcase used to open at 9 a.m. along with Future World. If you ever wanted to experience a Disney park without crowds - but on a busy summer day - World Showcase in the mornings was it.

I swear I'm going to turn into Milton from Office Space here soon.
If World Showcase gets more investment while Future World continues to rot, I'm going to set the place on fire...

In fairness, Future World has seen several new (well, replacement) attractions since anything wholly new was built in World Showcase. Both Future World and World Showcase beg attention.

HTF

What have you heard of for DHS that could start construction FY2015? Star Wars or something else?

I was told Star Wars will come but it's towards the end of the decade and at several parks and resorts around the world. Their is so much Star Wars coming they have their own development group now led by Trowbridge, but I think everyone already knows about that.

As for DHS I was told the bean counters will be keeping a close eye on attendance but an even bigger focus on guest spending levels at the parks. Diagon will have an effect on attendance but it may not be as big as some think, in other words not enough to make Disney bat an eyelash. However if visitors are spending less in the parks at Disney due to all the unique offerings now available Universal that's where it's gonna really hurt. So long story short if guest spending takes a serious blow expect Disney to finally answer back. The bigger the blow the bigger the answer back is how it was explained to me.

lazyboy97o

It's an eticket experience that based off the preview looks like a fantastic dark ride, I can forgive it's thematic intrusion at this point.
If you forgive this, and forgive that, at what point is there no longer a theme?

The reason why I'm all for this is because Ratatouille is not a wide-eyed cartoon that's whacky and zany (a.k.a Tres Caballeros in Mexico or 90% fictional a.k.a Frozen in Norway).

It's intelligent and cultural, and it fits World Showcase. Its a stretch to fit it. But it does. It doesn't take away from what was built. It will bring a fresh, new, exciting ride that will be one of the best in the resort.
How is scurrying around oversized sets not whacky and zany?

HTF

Thanks for dropping in with this rumor. It has certainly given us something to talk about. The 37 threads about Mine Train were getting old. Everything you heard about EPCOT makes a lot of sense. Assuming the full rat experience comes to the France pavilion I could definitely see a 9am opening time with a character breakfast at the new restaurant. That would be a big money maker. Any word about Imagination getting a makeover? It really is a wasted space at this point.

Sorry nothing in regards to any particular pavilions in Future World. IMO they have to add attractions else where in the park before closing an entire pavilion. Test Track lesson learned me thinks.

Ignohippo

Seriously. I could think of at least 100 projects I'd rather see than the very expensive Rataouille ride.

How about the MI coaster at DHS? SW land? New countries for WS? New Imagination? Replacement for EO? Replacement for Energy? Carsland?

Anything?

Ignohippo

A ride where you're as small as a mouse running through a kitchen is intelligent and cultural and not wacky and zany how?

Animaniac93-98

No R&D costs would allow TDO to build Ratatouille and Soarin 2.0 at a much cheaper rate. And they love that!

And I don't blame them for chosing Rat for this reason. It's neither the worst ride, nor the worst fit, but I don't think it's the best idea they could have chosen.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Seriously. I could think of at least 100 projects I'd rather see than the very expensive Rataouille ride.

How about the MI coaster at DHS? SW land? New countries for WS? New Imagination? Replacement for EO? Replacement for Energy? Carsland?

Anything?
How expensive was it? I haven't heard a lot about the ride other than the sneak peak stuff which doesn't give us much.

Ignohippo

I've heard rumbles of a few projects potentially being green lit for Epcot and DHS to start construction as soon as FY2015. The idea behind the France Pavilion receiving the attraction is to build upon the world showcase and it's offerings, F&B sales, and crowd distribution in the AM and early afternoon.

Epcot in General is your food and beverage capital, it's primary duty to the suits is to produce net profits through ridiculous margins on said F&B. So one idea is to get families into the World Showcase at rope drop via new attraction(s), new breakfast offerings, and earlier entertainment.

Yeah but why France? France seems to be one of the most popular pavilions with exceptional food offerings already.

It seems to me the whatever hundred million dollar budget could be better used by building a new country somewhere in the middle of WS. A new Russian pavilion would do much more for distributing crowds than a Ratatouille ride at the corner of WS. I could see people going to France and heading back the way they came. It won't do anything to distribute crowds.

Heck, a Toy Story - Woody ridethrough the American Old West at the American Pavillion would be a better choice.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
$150 million according to wiki, but I had heard closer to $200 million.

These bloated imagineering costs are why we don't see more new attractions.
Is that the whole area (ride, restaurant, shops, bathrooms, etc...) or just the ride itself? For just the ride that seems pretty expensive, for the whole area $150 to $200M seems reasonable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom