Imagineer Tom Fitzgerald takes over the creative direction of Epcot

Crafty

Oh ya, and they should put the Kitchen Kabaret where that Timon and Pumbaa 3d movie is too! That was a classic that they changed too! Grrr... Why'd they have to get rid of all the good stuff! But ya, we need the original Journey Into Imagination, Kitchen Kabaret, A brand new Horizons, and the Wonders of Life pavilion back (Cranium Command, Body Wars, Goofy About Health, etc.) I went to Epcot last summer and was extremely disappointed with the changes. I've never actually been to the original EPCOT Center in person but became a fan by watching YouTube videos. Oh ya, and they NEED to change Soarin'! Make it Soarin' Over Florida for crying out loud!

Kitchen Kabaret was our daughter's favorite attraction ever. She didn't mind Food Rocks, but always missed Kitchen Kabaret. There was a box that emitted smells of food when various doors were opened. She loved it. She took her stuffed Figment with her into the theater and everywhere else in EPCOT. The new incarnation of the Figment ride is an affront to long time EPCOT lovers.

asianway

I read a book about something called the Tipping Point. It's idea was that momentum slowly builds and then a tipping point is reached. Once this point is reached, it is almost impossible to go back.

Guest satisfaction is declining in the parks, but the tipping point has not been reached.

Our family's tipping point is very close. We have a lifetime of memories in the parks and we have been continuing to go because the parks remind us of the great times we had there. Our daughter has those memories and loves the parks. Quality had been declining for some time, but it wasn't until last August that we had had enough. Last August we had the worst trip we have ever had. We were hassled, especially at DHS, and we had a substandard and broken DVC SSR Room. The parks seemed boring, and we did not make any good memories. We are returning next month, primarily so that we can get some more use from our APs. If this trip is like the one last August, we won't go back. Our tipping point will have been reached. I can't imagine what Disney could do to get us to return.

If our tipping point has been reached, and we bought into OKW in 1993, then the same thing must be happening to other families. Our daughter had been planning on having her wedding at Disney and had looked forward to bringing her kids. Not any more. We don't mind paying a great deal if the experience is worth it. We feel that it no longer is.

If kids don't have a great time at Disney, they will not feel the necessity of bringing their kids to the parks and the cycle of grandparents, parents and kids in the parks will be broken. I don't believe that there is any longer an inexhaustible supply of middle class families to become first time and/or once in a lifetime visitors. When Disney loses its long time devotees, who will replace them?

I don't think that Disney has until 2017 or 2022 or whatever year to fix the parks. The thought that EPCOT can be left to disintegrate further while plans are announced, attractions designed and value engineered and something is finally build is folly. By the time the parks are fixed, the potential audience could be so reduced that the tipping point will have been reached.

EPCOT is in such bad shape that it needs to be fixed very quickly. I am not optimistic that anything will be done at all, let alone in a timely manner.
Start going to DL problem solved

Crafty

We did exactly that last January. We cancelled our reservations at WDW and went to sunny California. We couldn't get into the VGC and instead stayed at Marriott's Newport Coast Villas. We stayed for two weeks and spent three days at Disney. In Florida we would have spent the entire time at WDW. We are not big Universal fans. Well.....we do like HP. I can't wait to ride the Hogwarts Express.

We are waiting to see how our May WDW trip goes. My daughter has already requested a return trip to California. She wants to go back to Newport Beach.

Kman101

I loved Disneyland and literally cannot wait to go back. I'm very anxious to return. Darn that little thing called money ... lol. It's been several years too long, but at least I have the now wonderful DCA to look forward to (was there in 2008!). Disneyland is such a unique experience. Anyone who hasn't, NEEDS to go. I'm hoping to get back there next year for the anniversary.

I actually live very close to Disneyland and go very often. I go once a month since I have an annual pass and always wear my Figment gear when I go (hat, shirt, pin lanyard, and 1983 Figment hand puppet) and I love getting the compliments from guests, fans, and cast members. It's so much fun. I went to Walt Disney World once last summer for my first time and enjoyed it but thought Epcot was lacking because of the lack of all the good classic attractions. . image.jpg

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Magic Journeys also once returned from the dead, but to Fantasyland in the Mk rather than Future World. Then there are attractions like Disneyland's subs, which were never actually replaced but were closed for an extended period (before reopening in refurbished form).

Why? Just because something is a desirable benefit doesn't mean it is the park's reason for being.
It didn't really return from the dead, didn't it just move?

Crafty

I loved Disneyland and literally cannot wait to go back. I'm very anxious to return. Darn that little thing called money ... lol. It's been several years too long, but at least I have the now wonderful DCA to look forward to (was there in 2008!). Disneyland is such a unique experience. Anyone who hasn't, NEEDS to go. I'm hoping to get back there next year for the anniversary.

Carsland was great! If only Disney built something that well done at WDW. FLE, on my opinion, did not hold a candle to Carsland. Can they get whoever designed Carsland to do something for EPCOT?

We also recommend a blast from the past. We rode Mr. Toad several times. We really like Winnie the Pooh, but it was good to get another chance to ride a classic.

Haunted Mansion was decorated with the Nightmare before Christmas. Also very well done. What happened to the Christmas theming at EPCOT? I remember when .....

Admiral01

Premium Member

I get your point, and to an extent I agree. Thing is, that doesn't solve it. That just sweeps the problem under the rug. I've spent way more time at DL over the last year than WDW. I spent time at Tokyo Disneyland (at DisneySea) too. I even visited Aulani for a day just to chill and see what it was like. All are higher quality than what WDW offers right now, but I wish I didn't have to avoid WDW to get a good Disney experience.

Besides, even while avoiding WDW, I am still pumping money into the Disney Corporation, just through different avenues. So, while I like to think that avoiding WDW and instead visiting DL makes a point, Disney still gets their money from me...and that seems to be all their care about.

The solution is for them to fix what is wrong. The solutions are straightforward. They cost money, but aren't rocket science. They know exactly what is wrong with Imagination, Energy, and the rest of FW. They know what is lacking from DHS. They know where to invest in DAK. It isn't hard to conceptualize or design.

Maybe, just maybe, Tom Fitzgerald can set EPCOT on the right path again. He might not be able to solve it, but maybe he can help. He is responsible for Imagination 2.0 and 3.0...and I have no idea what is wrong with the people that just did the paint job on Innoventions Plaza...but maybe he can help. That way we don't have to avoid these incredible places, and we get to fully enjoy them again instead of doing what I do - walk around EPCOT and point out all the things that are wrong with the place or that I miss. Unfortunately, I still point out more things that are wrong than are right...and next time I see Innoventions I will have another thing to point out that is wrong.

Rodan75

What I don't understand, is why for a minute would WDW want to resurrect old EPCOT. Does anyone remember the years where they were virtually giving away entrance to old 'classic' EPCOT to Floridians to get people in the park in the afternoon. Do you think they forget why they had to create F&G and F&W. Booze saved EPCOT and TT and Soarin keep it on life support.

I think any hope of the original intent of EPCOT is long since dead. The best we can hope for is some form of consistent theme in FW and correct references to the cultures in WS.

Let's get real and stop rearranging the deck chairs. I loved EPCOT and I miss it very much. But the only way we are getting Horizons or WoL back is if someone writes a compelling movie and sells it to TWDC, and that movie makes a billion dollars at the box office.

RSoxNo1

Jim Hill chimed in over on the WDW Kingdomcast Facebook page and one of the things he mentioned was that Tom Fitzgerald's objective was to focus on more long term solutions. He specifically cited things like Food and Wine, Flower and Garden and Holidays around the World as being artificial attendance boosters. Similarly, the newly added dining served the same objective of making Epcot a place where guests park hop to as opposed to starting their day.

With that said, as much as I love EPCOT Center, you can't simply replicate it. I don't think Horizons works today even if it was updated with state of the art animatronics. I think the concepts behind Imagination very well could work simply because Imagination is a much broader approach. It's somewhat ironic that the Imagination reboots were built with restrictions (fitting into a different space, budget, etc) and it's almost self mocking with the line, "Imagination is best when it's set free". I love the look of the building that houses the attraction but I wouldn't oppose them knocking it down and starting anew if it meant a truly great experience. Aside from a Star Wars Land in DHS, an LPS attraction in the Imagination Pavilion seems to be the biggest no brainer from an attraction development standpoint. If you want to use Dreamfinder and Figment, great. But you can't do it the same way. LPS allows you to do this with a new ride system that tells a similar story.

I'm no Imagineer, but just I'll throw this out as a way of telling the same story with a new ride system:

The turn table scene was iconic, but evidently problematic. You can tell the story again with Dreamfinder introducing Figment, you can bring back the steampunk ship and Figment's whimsy. But with LPS you no longer have to view the scene as a diorama. What does the other side of the ship look like? Why does Figment have to stay on the ship? Can he emerge elsewhere in the scene? The ship can still be the center but the focus can move all around the room, as the vehicles move around the room. Thunder and lightening is more intense when it's all around you as opposed to in front of you.

Jim Hill chimed in over on the WDW Kingdomcast Facebook page and one of the things he mentioned was that Tom Fitzgerald's objective was to focus on more long term solutions. He specifically cited things like Food and Wine, Flower and Garden and Holidays around the World as being artificial attendance boosters. Similarly, the newly added dining served the same objective of making Epcot a place where guests park hop to as opposed to starting their day.

With that said, as much as I love EPCOT Center, you can't simply replicate it. I don't think Horizons works today even if it was updated with state of the art animatronics. I think the concepts behind Imagination very well could work simply because Imagination is a much broader approach. It's somewhat ironic that the Imagination reboots were built with restrictions (fitting into a different space, budget, etc) and it's almost self mocking with the line, "Imagination is best when it's set free". I love the look of the building that houses the attraction but I wouldn't oppose them knocking it down and starting anew if it meant a truly great experience. Aside from a Star Wars Land in DHS, an LPS attraction in the Imagination Pavilion seems to be the biggest no brainer from an attraction development standpoint. If you want to use Dreamfinder and Figment, great. But you can't do it the same way. LPS allows you to do this with a new ride system that tells a similar story.

I'm no Imagineer, but just I'll throw this out as a way of telling the same story with a new ride system:

The turn table scene was iconic, but evidently problematic. You can tell the story again with Dreamfinder introducing Figment, you can bring back the steampunk ship and Figment's whimsy. But with LPS you no longer have to view the scene as a diorama. What does the other side of the ship look like? Why does Figment have to stay on the ship? Can he emerge elsewhere in the scene? The ship can still be the center but the focus can move all around the room, as the vehicles move around the room. Thunder and lightening is more intense when it's all around you as opposed to in front of you.
Love your idea for an modern technology version of the original. This is what I'm talking about!

Kman101

FINALLY someone within that company recognizes the false attendance boosters that are F&W, Holidays around the World and Flower and Garden. That's encouraging. I don't think they should necessarily be axed (but let's be real, F&W is getting out of hand), but if it means that money going towards investment in the park, then I'm for that. Let's hope....

MerlinTheGoat

I actually had a shockingly similar thought to your idea about the beginning scene, funny. Make the scene a larger more open room where multiple rows of ride vehicles can circle around the center of the scene while the scene is playing out. The digitally projected weather and lighting effects can remain and could be expanded to the walls and ceiling, improvements to the digital mapping tech could truly be something to behold in a true next gen version of this ride.

Dreamfinder would descend from above (through a hidden opening in the ceiling) in his flying machine. With a hanging vehicle not as physically restricted as before, his vehicle could have a greater range of motion and could move around the room to a far greater extent. Perhaps they could use some sort of Kuka arm disguised by hanging cloud props and fog effects as the way to pull it off (though really any basic hanging system could work if Disney's lawyers weren't so against show elements suspended above guests). The scene could play out much the same as the original story wise (they can even use the same dialog and such), just the execution would be different. Hell Figment has wings, we never saw him use them originally but they could make his AA figure fly around the scene alongside Dreamfinder's vehicle after we see his creation.

It still might be a good idea to have multiple copies of this show scene however for efficiency reasons. Assuming the scene would still be several minutes long and all guests would see it without being cut off. LPS I believe isn't used as a continuously moving ride system unlike omnimover (i suppose it could be possible to alter it but i've yet to see it be done). So with that particular ride system along with the re-working and expansion of the first show scene, the entire scene is going to take more time than before. Besides the couple of minutes the show scene itself will take, it's going to take some time for all the vehicles to both enter and exit the room after the loading area. As the show scene itself won't be rotating with the vehicles anymore, there would also be a several minute long wait period at the loading area until that batch of vehicles vacates that scene to make way for the next (kind of like the way simulators work). So to maintain decent efficiency with speedy loading and moving lines, it would perhaps be best to still have multiple alternating copies of the same scene. At least two or three so there's always one available or close to being available for the next batch of vehicles. Though i'm not sure if they'd have enough space to do something like this.

The original turntable may have been problematic, but it still was a clever and very effective way to integrate a lengthy story sequence while maintaining the efficiency of a constantly loading/unloading omnimover. It was basically a "preshow" of sorts integrated into the actual ride.

Last edited:
I actually had a shockingly similar thought to your idea about the beginning scene, funny. Make the scene a larger more open room where multiple rows of ride vehicles can circle around the center of the scene while the scene is playing out. The digitally projected weather and lighting effects can remain and could be expanded to the walls and ceiling, improvements to the digital mapping tech could truly be something to behold in a true next gen version of this ride.

Dreamfinder would descend from above (through a hidden opening in the ceiling) in his flying machine. With a hanging vehicle not as physically restricted as before, his vehicle could have a greater range of motion and could move around the room to a far greater extent. Perhaps they could use some sort of Kuka arm disguised by hanging cloud props and fog effects as the way to pull it off (though really any basic hanging system could work if Disney's lawyers weren't so against show elements suspended above guests). The scene could play out much the same as the original story wise (they can even use the same dialog and such), just the execution would be different. Hell Figment has wings, we never saw him use them originally but they could make his AA figure fly around the scene alongside Dreamfinder's vehicle after we see his creation.

It still might be a good idea to have multiple copies of this show scene however for efficiency reasons. Assuming the scene would still be several minutes long and all guests would see it without being cut off. LPS I believe isn't used as a continuously moving ride system unlike omnimover (i suppose it could be possible to alter it but i've yet to see it be done). So with that particular ride system along with the re-working and expansion of the first show scene, the entire scene is going to take more time than before. Besides the couple of minutes the show scene itself will take, it's going to take some time for all the vehicles to both enter and exit the room after the loading area. As the show scene itself won't be rotating with the vehicles anymore, there would also be a several minute long wait period at the loading area until that batch of vehicles vacates that scene to make way for the next (kind of like the way simulators work). So to maintain decent efficiency with speedy loading and moving lines, it would perhaps be best to still have multiple alternating copies of the same scene. At least two or three so there's always one available or close to being available for the next batch of vehicles. The original turntable may have been problematic, but it still was a clever and very effective way to integrate a lengthy story sequence while maintaining the efficiency of a constantly loading/unloading omnimover. It was basically a "preshow" of sorts integrated into the actual ride.
Ya, exactly, I was thinking they could reuse the original audio remastered and keep it the same story and everything but have the scenes all updated with modern technology and effects!

Crafty

The bottom line is that I just want to have a good time in the parks, including EPCOT.

I don't care if the original theme of EPCOT is maintained.

I don't care if characters are introduced into the countries.

I want plenty to do in EPCOT so that I am not bored after a couple of hours.

I don't want everything in EPCOT to involve spending money. I don't mind shopping, eating and drinking in EPCOT, but I mind if that is the only thing to do. I can shop, eat, and drink elsewhere without paying a substantial admission fee.

Again, I don't mind well done character inclusion. I do mind substandard introduction of characters in EPCOT. Nemo, in my opinion could have been an appropriate addition to the Living Seas. However, in its implementation, it was not an addition, but a subtraction. I am concerned that the overlay of Frozen on Maelstrom will be another subtraction because Disney will cut so many corners in the implementation. The introduction of characters needs to be done right or not at all.

CDavid

It didn't really return from the dead, didn't it just move?

I was thinking it was closed at Epcot for a while before opening at the Magic Kingdom; According to Wikipedia, it was shuttered close to two years. I suppose the question of whether it was resurrected to merely moved hinges on Disney's intentions. The Lion King show at Animal Kingdom is being moved after having been closed some six months, but clearly not returning from the dead; The reopening was always planned.

I want to say this was reported as a return "by popular demand', but memory gets fuzzy after a quarter century, and I have no idea where I originally heard that (early net discussion forums???).

Does anyone remember the years where they were virtually giving away entrance to old 'classic' EPCOT to Floridians to get people in the park in the afternoon. Do you think they forget why they had to create F&G and F&W. Booze saved EPCOT and TT and Soarin keep it on life support.

While the festivals do indeed support Epcot annual attendance, painting original Epcot Center as a failure is little more than revisionist history.

I don't care if the original theme of EPCOT is maintained.

I don't care if characters are introduced into the countries.

I care. i expect Disney to adhere to its own established standards.

Admiral01

Premium Member
Ya, exactly, I was thinking they could reuse the original audio remastered and keep it the same story and everything but have the scenes all updated with modern technology and effects!

And this would make me happy. There simply is no copying Billy Barty's Figment voice. Remaster the original soundtrack, whatever is left of it, and lets start from there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom