Nothing Goofy about Disney park moves

Fairybuzz

Except for the mods, none of us really have an idea how to run an internet discussion board, so we're pretty much left out in the cold to begin with...

Seriously, however, Iger himself doesn't have an equal grasp across all areas of The Walt Disney Company. Specifically, he doesn't fully understand the business of theme parks; He can't relate to what WDW guests want and how they enjoy the parks, and he (among many Disney execs) doesn't appreciate the details which define the experience and set Disney apart from the competition. That's how we get Magic Bands and Journey into Your Imagination, with execs perplexed as to why they weren't resounding successes.

How the parks are perceived by first-timers (and perhaps especially children) is exactly the problem. Disneyland and Walt Disney World have historically been fundamentally different from any other theme park or vacation destination. If the little details - which the sharp pencil guys and the executive ranks don't think matter so much - which set Disney apart and made it something special are lost, future guests will be left wondering what we think is so great about the place. Indeed, we have been seeing this for a while now, as the gap closes between Disney and other parks (namely Universal) and guests' recognize superior service and greater amenities (and far greater value) from off-site resorts. We are already well past the point that today's kids will not come away from WDW with the same perception and memories of something special that we did.

It's not about whether the magic is alive and well; It is rather about to what degree the magic (and thus the experience and legacy) has been tarnished and compromised, and the effect it will have going forward.

Thats very true. I wanna yell in their ear STOP TRYING TO BE EVERYONE ELSE! also, Growing up Disney would never let an attraction sit around abandoned in plain sight, like some kind of SIX FLAGS. And We'd never get a ride so lame as The SEAS with Nemo, or new Imagination.

asianway

That simply is not true. I mean, he "wanders" at dining locations (by which I mean follows a predesignated path at a quick rate of speed so he sees everyone in the restaurant in 45 minutes), but I'm pretty sure all the other parks WORLDWIDE have indoor, controlled Mickey M&Gs. Even if they're outdoors, Mickey will have a designated spot infront of a designated background with a designated photographer.
I will admit, I've not been to all the parks, so I cannot say this with certainty, but all the info I find online supports my theory.
Either way, regardless of what other parks do, it's not safe or practical at WDW. The parks are busier and have, as far as I can tell, ruder tourists.
Tokyo doesn't do the background nonsense except Duffy & the Lost River Delta greeting trails(which Mickey is a regular at. He has outfits for the other lands and can pop out roaming depending on the season at any of them

ErikMichaelS

What happened to grasping the true purpose and meaning behind Walt Disney World? When did it become all about “E-Ticket” attractions, bashing Tour Groups and trying to satiate the attention challenged masses? Every time I step foot in Walt Disney World, it reminds me to take a breath, slow down and enjoy the little time that I have on this rock with my family. I feel like a kid again when I go to the parks and I feel that regardless of the attractions. Personally, I wish that none of the attractions would change but I am not so naïve as to ignore the fact that a company needs to progress and please its investors. Do I blindly follow along…..? No, not at all. There are plenty of decisions that I think were poorly thought out and there is plenty about the parks that I would change given the chance… the difference is that I do not fixate on those things and instead and grateful that I am able to afford the opportunity to visit when I can which is once a year or every few years. I would put it out there that there are far too many “Disney Fanatics” out there that have completely missed, forgotten or choose to ignore Walt himself and what the parks meant to him. It is a sad shame really but hey… I am still content to relax on Livin’ with the Land and forget for a little while the fact that I am aging and that at some point I will no longer have the ability to ride it ever again. Let that soak in and then tell me how much Walt Disney World needs to keep up with Universal.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What happened to grasping the true purpose and meaning behind Walt Disney World? When did it become all about “E-Ticket” attractions, bashing Tour Groups and trying to satiate the attention challenged masses? Every time I step foot in Walt Disney World, it reminds me to take a breath, slow down and enjoy the little time that I have on this rock with my family. I feel like a kid again when I go to the parks and I feel that regardless of the attractions. Personally, I wish that none of the attractions would change but I am not so naïve as to ignore the fact that a company needs to progress and please its investors. Do I blindly follow along…..? No, not at all. There are plenty of decisions that I think were poorly thought out and there is plenty about the parks that I would change given the chance… the difference is that I do not fixate on those things and instead and grateful that I am able to afford the opportunity to visit when I can which is once a year or every few years. I would put it out there that there are far too many “Disney Fanatics” out there that have completely missed, forgotten or choose to ignore Walt himself and what the parks meant to him. It is a sad shame really but hey… I am still content to relax on Livin’ with the Land and forget for a little while the fact that I am aging and that at some point I will no longer have the ability to ride it ever again. Let that soak in and then tell me how much Walt Disney World needs to keep up with Universal.

I've said it before E-Ticket does not equal thrill ride, PotC is an E ticket, Mermaid could have been, Imagination v 1.0 was an E-Ticket, Captain EO at its point in time was an E ticket.

Disney recently has not invested in ANY headliner attractions other than the stroller parking lot known as FLE.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I'm with you 99% of the way. Money is precious and time moreso. As a general rule, I prefer Universal. If I'm traveling with friends, that's where we get the most bang for our buck and our time.
However, regardless of my disdain for current management, Disney is still where I go with my family. Because of nostalgia and character recognition, that's what they prefer, and if I'm spending time with my family, I want to see them as happy as possible. If that means returning to the mouse before I feel they deserve my patronage, so be it.

space42

It became all about "E-Ticket" attractions when Walt Disney opened The Enchanted Tiki Room in 1963... 'constantly raising the bar' was something the company prided itself on all the way up through the 1990's but somehow has since forgotten.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It became all about "E-Ticket" attractions when Walt Disney opened The Enchanted Tiki Room in 1963... 'constantly raising the bar' was something the company prided itself on all the way up through the 1990's but somehow has since forgotten.

Exactly my point, Disney should be competing with ITSELF to raise the bar for attractions and prior to the Iger era THEY DID.

Fairybuzz

Don't worry, when you do your next spirited sojourn the mental illness will creep over to derail your thread.

What got a beef? huh? huh? *beats chest* you think you got it!!? I'll kick your butt!!

lol jk

But this stuff does get really silly sometimes. Its become our own little Kirk Picard Debate. But Is there no way one could like Universal AND Disney? Or do we have to declare allegence now?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
What got a beef? huh? huh? *beats chest* you think you got it!!? I'll kick your butt!!

lol jk

But this stuff does get really silly sometimes. Its become our own little Kirk Picard Debate. But Is there no way one could like Universal AND Disney? Or do we have to declare allegence now?

Yes, it is ridiculous, everyone know Picard is better. :)

BigTxEars

Yes, it is ridiculous, everyone know Picard is better. :)

"Say what?"

30au93c.jpg

xstech25

On a serious note, is anyone here actually analyzing the financials of Disney's strategic planning over the last decade or so, or just sitting here complaining about the lack of new thrill rides? Sure it's always good to have new rides but what if their strategy is actually working? I don't think many people on this board has stopped to think about that.

Disney spends tons of money in researching their customers and I seriously doubt they would be doing things like spending millions on meet & greets and redoing plaza's (like the hub at MK) unless there was serious demand from their customers. These projects have no measurable ROI but are very expensive.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom