Nothing Goofy about Disney park moves

jlsHouston

Yep, I absolutely get it. I think my point is that as hard as they seem to try...I don't think they can screw it up completely. And those who are repeat visitors who yearn for the good-ole days need only slow down and watch the kids' faces. (To me the problem with FastPasses isn't that you can now only get 3, it's that you can get ANY. Walt's vision wasn't to encourage commando-themeparking, imo. But I digress...)

Make every trip a new one, not a comparison with the past. I'm sure the magic still happens.

Hahaha..well I think current management can and will screw up a good thing. But overall I am very happy still with my vacations to WDW and each of them are fun and relaxing and we are always sad to leave and always looking forward to returning. There is alot of magic in the parks thanks to Walt and Roy and Eisner. I almost think it is irresponsible for all of us collectively to not do everything we can to maintain and expand on it.
And here is an example of another reason I love WDW..and yah the Itouch was inside too
20140324_164007.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ok...

My last family trip to the World was 14 years ago, so I'm terribly excited about our upcoming trip. Going with DW and our baby...DD who is now 20. So it'll be a different, adult, trip but all three of us are giddy about the prospects.

I was able to go last October while in town on business, and I took the opportunity to go solo to Epcot one evening. I was close to a railing during Illuminations when a little girl, maybe 3 years old, squeezed in next to me for a better view. Her parents were apologetic but I sure didn't mind and gave her all the room she wanted. When she absent-mindedly reached up for my hand during the fireworks my heart melted. I turned to look at Mom & Dad and they were beaming.

I understand this thread. I go to Disney World to escape capex and, at my level, P&L's and weekly sales reports. Frankly, how Disney chooses to invest/spend (or however it's defined on quarterly con-calls) is up to them. I only assume they know what they're doing. I'm there to enjoy myself and my family.

As for the arms race with Uni and the fear that "we" are losing? I've had fun at Uni too, but I never cried when a little girl I didn't know took my hand.

Even us doom-n-gloom types love WDW, We just hate what is happening to it under it's current management, Yes mangical moments still happen its just with the changes the probability of seeing one declines exponentially,

Before Mickey and Friends used to wander down the street - ;Lots of THERES MICKEY moments, No longer

We would like to see the parks returned to the state where the were both better experiences and more profitable for the TWDC.

jlsHouston

Even us doom-n-gloom types love WDW, We just hate what is happening to it under it's current management, Yes mangical moments still happen its just with the changes the probability of seeing one declines exponentially,

Before Mickey and Friends used to wander down the street - ;Lots of THERES MICKEY moments, No longer

We would like to see the parks returned to the state where the were both better experiences and more profitable for the TWDC.

I don't think discussing negatives about the state of the parks and resorts as doom n gloom. I also think those that despair on this forum at times about the direction of TWDC are also the biggest cheerleaders when something is done right for the benefit of the parks.
Gotta have balance.

I'm sure it's safe to assume no one posting on these forums have no idea how to run a billion dollar company, so maybe this Iger guy should be respected just a bit. It's so easy to ignorantly backseat throw blame for this and that yet nobody making the ignorant accusations have any idea how to do the mans job.

Chew on those thoughts.

Fairybuzz

But...but...the parks are going to hell in a hand basket. Declining by degrees. Universal is kicking Disney's , etc, etc. Such talk in this article does not match recent rhetoric. System overload. Does not compute! Does...not...compute!!!

The reason disney is getting its err.. kicked by universal is because its trying to copy them with all the branding and stuff. Disney does disney well, it does not do universal well at all!

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.

I hate to say it, but I don't think we should ever go back to seeing Mickey (or most other characters) roam freely. It's just a safety issue, and, with their popularity, downright mean to those who want to meet the mouse.
Now, Green Army Man is the only character who is free-roaming, and that's because
they're all just "spare" Buzzes and Woodys that haven't anything better to do.
And it can even be a little dangerous for them at times.
I'm sure it's safe to assume no one posting on these forums have no idea how to run a billion dollar company, so maybe this Iger guy should be respected just a bit. It's so easy to ignorantly backseat throw blame for this and that yet nobody making the ignorant accusations have any idea how to do the mans job.

Chew on those thoughts.
*chew chew chew* Hmm... Tastes like butt.
His job should be to balance making a profit with making a well-maintained, well-staffed, fairly priced, and fresh experience for those who visit. It's a little (lot) heavy on the profit, and far too light on the everything else.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Chew on those thoughts.
Well, to be fair, Iger may not completely know either....

See you again in a year.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Chew on those thoughts.

From an INVESTORS point of view TWDC is performing significantly worse than it was under his predecessor(s) which is grounds to criticize. And Iger just blew half a billion on yet another internet media venture where they have historically done poorly.

Current stock price notwithstanding - too much money in that sector chasing too few opportunites its not based on fundamentals.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I hate to say it, but I don't think we should ever go back to seeing Mickey (or most other characters) roam freely. It's just a safety issue, and, with their popularity, downright mean to those who want to meet the mouse.
Now, Green Army Man is the only character who is free-roaming, and that's because
they're all just "spare" Buzzes and Woodys that haven't anything better to do.
And it can even be a little dangerous for them at times.

*chew chew chew* Hmm... Tastes like butt.
His job should be to balance making a profit with making a well-maintained, well-staffed, fairly priced, and fresh experience for those who visit. It's a little (lot) heavy on the profit, and far too light on the everything else.

The Mouse wanders freely everywhere BUT WDW

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Chew on those thoughts.

I bet almost no one here knows how to design and build a working theme park ride, so we should probably stop discussing the rides. Also, most of us probably aren't trained chefs, so we should also stop discussing food at the parks. There may be a few retail experts here, so they can discuss Disney merchandise but they rest of us should stay out of that discussion.

JoeT63

I do NOT think that you, nor the vast majority of folks I've come across on here, are doom-n-gloomers...but I take your meaning. I just wanted to offer some perspective, that's all. I think we just have to remember what these overcrowded, staffed with surly CM's, not-as-good-as-they-used-to-be parks look and feel like to first-timers and...especially...kids. Dangit, the magic is alive and well!! I'm gonna go down swinging!! :)

CDavid

I bet almost no one here knows how to design and build a working theme park ride, so we should probably stop discussing the rides. Also, most of us probably aren't trained chefs, so we should also stop discussing food at the parks. There may be a few retail experts here, so they can discuss Disney merchandise but they rest of us should stay out of that discussion.

Except for the mods, none of us really have an idea how to run an internet discussion board, so we're pretty much left out in the cold to begin with...

Seriously, however, Iger himself doesn't have an equal grasp across all areas of The Walt Disney Company. Specifically, he doesn't fully understand the business of theme parks; He can't relate to what WDW guests want and how they enjoy the parks, and he (among many Disney execs) doesn't appreciate the details which define the experience and set Disney apart from the competition. That's how we get Magic Bands and Journey into Your Imagination, with execs perplexed as to why they weren't resounding successes.

I do NOT think that you, nor the vast majority of folks I've come across on here, are doom-n-gloomers...but I take your meaning. I just wanted to offer some perspective, that's all. I think we just have to remember what these overcrowded, staffed with surly CM's, not-as-good-as-they-used-to-be parks look and feel like to first-timers and...especially...kids. Dangit, the magic is alive and well!! I'm gonna go down swinging!! :)

How the parks are perceived by first-timers (and perhaps especially children) is exactly the problem. Disneyland and Walt Disney World have historically been fundamentally different from any other theme park or vacation destination. If the little details - which the sharp pencil guys and the executive ranks don't think matter so much - which set Disney apart and made it something special are lost, future guests will be left wondering what we think is so great about the place. Indeed, we have been seeing this for a while now, as the gap closes between Disney and other parks (namely Universal) and guests' recognize superior service and greater amenities (and far greater value) from off-site resorts. We are already well past the point that today's kids will not come away from WDW with the same perception and memories of something special that we did.

It's not about whether the magic is alive and well; It is rather about to what degree the magic (and thus the experience and legacy) has been tarnished and compromised, and the effect it will have going forward.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
The Mouse wanders freely everywhere BUT WDW
That simply is not true. I mean, he "wanders" at dining locations (by which I mean follows a predesignated path at a quick rate of speed so he sees everyone in the restaurant in 45 minutes), but I'm pretty sure all the other parks WORLDWIDE have indoor, controlled Mickey M&Gs. Even if they're outdoors, Mickey will have a designated spot infront of a designated background with a designated photographer.
I will admit, I've not been to all the parks, so I cannot say this with certainty, but all the info I find online supports my theory.
Either way, regardless of what other parks do, it's not safe or practical at WDW. The parks are busier and have, as far as I can tell, ruder tourists.

UncleMike101

Except for the mods, none of us really have an idea how to run an internet discussion board, so we're pretty much left out in the cold to begin with...
I do....
I own one.
Hence the problem with making blanket statements.;)
Disney is still a thrill for some of us, and a PITA for others.
IMO, nothing said here will change anyones minds, or affect Disney, Mr Iger, or Mickey Mouse.

UncleMike101

When I joined this forum, I was a total fanboi. Then I heard things were rotten in Denmark. Then I went to Denmark and saw that said things were rotten. Then I went to Disney World and saw things were rotten there, too.
OK...
But.
You won't change my, or anyone else's, mind about WDW or the Disney Company one way or the other.
The only logical route to follow if one has a complaint is to go to the person(s) in charge and make your concerns known.

SoupBone

What exactly am I looking at?

JoeT63

When I joined this forum, I was a total fanboi. Then I heard things were rotten in Denmark. Then I went to Denmark and saw that said things were rotten. Then I went to Disney World and saw things were rotten there, too.

I'm sorry that you were misrouted, but thanks for putting in the miles to keep us better informed.

Too funny...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom