Nothing Goofy about Disney park moves

CDavid

Those numbers sound like a significant investment when you don't know the details of how that money was spent. It sure sounds like there should be multiple new experiences in every park, with everything fresh and well maintained. Instead we have stale parks with declining standards of maintenance and upkeep.

Sure, we got a "new" Fantasyland (a net gain of zero additional attractions from Fantasyland of 20 years ago) with two new rides and - four years later - we'll see two more attractions in Animal Kingdom. That's basically it for four WDW theme parks - and that is supposed to represent massive investment?

Instead of vibrant parks full of new attractions - what "bold investment" should produce - Disney in Florida reaps the benefits of that "investment" by cheapening the guest experience while increasing prices beyond the merely ridiculous. Oh, and squandering investment dollars on colored bracelets for the guests.

Would the investors be as pleased if they fully knew what was propping up the house of cards?

Last edited:

The Crafty Veteran

Those numbers sounds like a significant investment when you don't know the details of how that money was spent. It sure sounds like there should be multiple new experiences in every park, with everything fresh and well maintained. Instead we have stale parks with declining standards of maintenance and upkeep.

Sure, we got a "new" Fantasyland (a net gain of zero additional attractions from Fantasyland of 20 years ago) with two new rides and - four years later - we'll see two more attractions in Animal Kingdom. That's basically it for four WDW theme parks - and that is supposed to represent massive investment?

Instead of vibrant parks full of new attractions - what "bold investment" should produce - Disney in Florida reaps the benefits of that "investment" by cheapening the guest experience while increasing prices beyond the merely ridiculous. Oh, and squandering investment dollars on colored bracelets for the guests.

Would the investors be as pleased if they fully knew what was propping up the house of cards?

What are these investment details? Have they been released to the public? If they have wouldn't investors have access to these investment detail making the point moot?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I don't understand why people have to bash one product and prop up another around here. I've never been to the Universal parks and will never go to them but if some people likd them let them like them, its really unimportant.

I will bash Comcast though, the worst customer service in the history of the world.
If you increase your price and build nothing exciting for an extended period of time, I will bash. If you don't maintain the standard you set for yourself and let your product fall apart, I will bash. If you don't pay enough for the best customer service, which you once prided yourself on, I will bash.

doctornick

Those numbers sounds like a significant investment when you don't know the details of how that money was spent. It sure sounds like there should be multiple new experiences in every park, with everything fresh and well maintained. Instead we have stale parks with declining standards of maintenance and upkeep.

I'll just point out that "stale" is a judgement that is in the eye of the beholder. I know a number of folks who have gone to Disney in the past year or so that have had a great time and thought there was a lot of (too much?) interesting stuff to do. On these boards, we tend to have a bit of an echo chamber of folks who are or have been frequent visitors to the parks and judge them differently than folks who only go every few years.

TubaGeek

I'll just point out that "stale" is a judgement that is in the eye of the beholder. I know a number of folks who have gone to Disney in the past year or so that have had a great time and thought there was a lot of (too much?) interesting stuff to do. On these boards, we tend to have a bit of an echo chamber of folks who are or have been frequent visitors to the parks and judge them differently than folks who only go every few years.
Yes, but instead of fooling those who visit once "every few years", it's become fooling only those who visit once a decade.

Last edited:

Nick Pappagiorgio

Well.. that's scary.

Course, they don't mention the extra money they've blown pushing FP+ in peoples faces.. but.. I guess that doesn't matter since they seem to be making it back :p

I'll be interested to see what the investors say if the 1.5 bil number gets scrutinized in future quarterly reports. Their previous investments in DCA yielded major results but the Next Gen stuff isn't going to earn back 1.5 anywhere nearly as quickly as Cars Land did.

The Crafty Veteran

I also find it extremely hard to believe people making huge investments in Disney stock, or any stock for that matter, don't have significant informational resources at their fingertips. The average Joe e-trading, sure but a big shark I highly doubt it. People with money just don't spend ignorantly.

maxairmike

I also find it extremely hard to believe people making huge investments in Disney stock, or any stock for that matter, don't have significant informational resources at their fingertips. The average Joe e-trading, sure but a big shark I highly doubt it. People with money just don't spend ignorantly.

But most of them also don't set foot in many (if any) amusement or theme parks very often without an entourage and VIP access, and as such wouldn't see or notice most of the issues that regular guests would notice and see, especially if they're (regular guests) knowledgeable about the subject. They have no reason to care, especially if the stock is performing well and the immediate numbers are fine. The few big sharks that may be interested in their investment 20 years from now likely are temporarily blinded by immediate numbers and/or have no desire to dive into the details of a theme park. This is the fundamental problem. The large investors have no care for the parks themselves, or even the movie or TV aspects of the company, and won't ask questions if the numbers don't give them reason to. The folks at the top of the company also appear to have no care for visiting the parks like a regular guest, and end up taking the same view as the major investors.

TubaGeek

Quite the exaggeration. The large majority of those who are "frustrated, annoyed, angry, etc..." about the parks are those who visit multiple times per year which is quite ironic but that's a whole other story.
The bulk of guests want E-ticket attractions. In the last decade, MK has seen 0 and the other three parks have seen one each. Those are unexaggerated facts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom