The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
So, I guess I've missed this rumor previously as something actually happening. Must have missed it in the fast and furious non-stop rumors that have been happening in the past year! Or I was lulled to sleep.

Anyway, so since I'm reading this with a fresh set of eyes, they are going forward with filming a Soarin' over the World film to be put in, and they are replacing both Epcot and DCA (and reserving the right to clone it anywhere else in the world due to the generic theme).

Miceage reported a date where Disney has put in paperwork to do flyover filming at DLR... filming they claim is for the long rumored Soarin' update. But this date is in March12. So the fact they are still filming means any finished product is a long long ways away. The uncertainty has been around 'who gets the new film?' along with what other changes would be made. their rumor is

We’d told you in past updates about this HD makeover plan for Soarin’ that Disney has yet to formally announce and that hasn’t shown up on public planning calendars yet. But the project is a big one that escaped the budget knife in November, and it will be a race against the clock to get both theaters completed within four months. To upgrade the theaters to a digital HD IMAX system, the existing IMAX metal screens must be removed and replaced with new screens designed for the new 4K laser projectors and the slightly different image they cast.

The audio system behind the screens and in the theater will also be upgraded, while the flying theater infrastructure itself gets a full refurbishment. WDI will also be installing new equipment for better smell effects, as well as infrastructure for the water spray effects that WDI has planned for the new Soarin’ The World movie coming to DCA and Shanghai in 2015. Don’t forget that we’d told you last year to mark March 12th, 2014 on your calendar, as that’s the evening WDI will be flying HD cameras over and around the Disneyland Resort as they film the new ending to the attraction.

Miceage posts that DCA will get it... but have not been as certain if ECPOT would.

At this point in the game, the stuff is so far down the line I imagine any and every plan will change still. The attractions are clones as they are.. so it's not like knowing if WDW is in or not would change the film production much besides $$$$.

Just think how far out we are talking here... unfinished film (months..).. many month downtime to rebuild the theaters, etc. This is likely a year+ away I'd wager. So who is in and out I'm sure could swing back and forth. And EPCOT could always do it 'after', etc.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The Soarin' film updates remind me of Star Tours - it will happen one day, just a question of when. Soarin' was being rumored to have its film changed just a few years after its opening. We are almost 10 years on and nothing. If we keep the speculation going, one day we will eventually be right.

PeterAlt

The Soarin' film updates remind me of Star Tours - it will happen one day, just a question of when. Soarin' was being rumored to have its film changed just a few years after its opening. We are almost 10 years on and nothing. If we keep the speculation going, one day we will eventually be right.
The rumor actually started before it even opened!

flynnibus

Premium Member

The only thing going for 'why now' tho is Shanghi. That is a motivator to not build upon the old projection tech... and the only time motivator I could see. I don't know why EPCOT would be in a rush to do it.. taking down soarin for 4 months? In an EPCOT already devoid of 'rides'? They need something else good in the park before they do that... and I'm sure that's what we'll hear for years why they haven't done it yet :)

asianway

The only thing going for 'why now' tho is Shanghi. That is a motivator to not build upon the old projection tech... and the only time motivator I could see. I don't know why EPCOT would be in a rush to do it.. taking down soarin for 4 months? In an EPCOT already devoid of 'rides'? They need something else good in the park before they do that... and I'm sure that's what we'll hear for years why they haven't done it yet :)
TT was down a whole summer season. I'm sure they could take Soarin down half at a time

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Interesting. So, you'd have one side, where you could theoretically do everything without having to bring the ride down for extended time periods, new film, new motion program, etc, BUT, it would rely on the existing projection technology. To upgrade that, it requires a long(er) downtime.
I can't fathom them being able to take down Soarin' for any extended period of time. Might as well close up shop on all of Future World at that point in most people's eyes. In my eyes, we're already well past that point.

flynnibus

Premium Member
TT was down a whole summer season. I'm sure they could take Soarin down half at a time

TT while not rollercoaster thrill... is still high energy while Soarin is the 'even grandma loves it' category. While keeping half of soarin open sounds like a compromise, it's not going to half it's popularity at the same time.. meaning things would just get even more ugly. It's like the highway construction project that everyone hates. Capacity is down, but demand is not, so it's hell.. and then it takes twice as long because they have to keep the road at least partially open.. so hell last twice as long.

What replaces Soarin' in the meantime? Mexico? Nemo? UoE? JIIY? SSE? Man.. that is just thin. I would imagine they would want 'something' in that category to actually be desirable besides SSE to help take that family load.

Mammymouse

Michael Eisner returning???:eek: Regardless of his contributions, his last few years left such a sour taste in my mouth I don't think I could stomach another tenure. Looking back I do see where his passion for the Parks did trump Mr. Iger's - which totally surprised me because Iger seemed to be such a breath of fresh air when he started. Now it is beyond time for Iger to leave. But I can't embrace Eisner again. Too many bad memories of the culture of "suits" with their heads in the air walking the Parks past us mere peons and peasants, being too good to make eye contact with their "money makers"! Oh that used to gripe me soooo bad.

bhg469

Pretty much every ride ever built has had its issue during the build - Seven Dwarfs won't be any different.But they will resolve it. I'm still expecting opening in the Spring.
I'll take a slightly less "swingy" car over a non "workey" yeti any day. They better take their time and make it as good as they can because its certain to be under scrutiny from day one.

lazyboy97o

Just a reminder... Iger is the guy who brought Oswald back so watch your tongue.
So? I mean outside of being a gesture what has it meant beyond Disney lifestylers suddenly clamoring for merchandise, pretending they had seen the cartoons and still being generally oblivious to his very minor role in the development of Disney's animation? Walt Disney spent less than a year making Oswald shorts and the rights issue was a known concern from the beginning. The animation staff being hired away was a far more important issue than the character of Oswald.

Funmeister's Delight

So? I mean outside of being a gesture what has it meant beyond Disney lifestylers suddenly clamoring for merchandise, pretending they had seen the cartoons and still being generally oblivious to his very minor role in the development of Disney's animation? Walt Disney spent less than a year making Oswald shorts and the rights issue was a known concern from the beginning. The animation staff being hired away was a far more important issue than the character of Oswald.
You're obviously missing the stab I was making towards his avatar...

PhotoDave219

Hell, I remembering being told by people in the know that a budget was approved and paperwork was signed off ... and that was 2006/7 timeframe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom