The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Some news that may not interest fanbois, but does me so here goes: Bob Iger's reign has brought destruction and doom through many facets of TWDC beyond P&R. Two that hit close to home for me are the destruction of ABC Sports, so as to push the ESPN Brand (hey, remember when Monday Night Football was a happening ... NBC has that now on Sunday nights!) and ABC Daytime, which slaughtered two ground-breaking daytime dramas in All My Children and One Life to Live.

Well, the latter got quite ugly after Prospect Park bought the rights and tried to resurrect them online. After failing once, they came back in spring of 2013 with four 30 minute shows a week, later cut to two. Oprah's OWN network picked them up as well (why would Disney have wanted them on SoapNet, which it was killing again!)

Season 1 was relatively successful, but there was some bizarre actions on the part of ABC/Disney, which wouldn't surrender web domains or allow the new reboots to use vintage footage for flashbacks. Stranger still, three OLTL stars had migrated to play the same rolls on General Hospital (the only soap left on the network). Other characters came over and were quickly killed off resulting in a lawsuit that delayed a second season of OLTL. Both shows that shot in CT eventually threw in the towel last month and the lawsuit with Disney got even uglier.

Now? With the suit moving forward and ABC Daytime struggling everywhere EXCEPT General Hospital, which has returned to a recipe of quality and stars, word from a Spirited soap source (who throws amazing Christmas parties and has a collection of Emmys) is that ABC is working on trying to buy back the shows and put them on as 30 minutes (they used to be one hour long) five days a week. Katie Couric's disaster is leaving a gaping hole in the schedule when it goes and ABC does not want to give that time back to the affiliates.

I could write more, but there's probably little interest so ... I'll just leave that tidbit.

YOUR favorite company is run by idiots, truly.

I am interested in the ABC, ESPN, studios side of the company. I can't imagine the politicking that gets some of these awful shows on the air. I feel like some of the shows ABC greenlights are just so fundamentally terrible, it should have been obvious well before the pilot. After reading Michael's book, I more so long for an executive who understands the business. A creative company cannot be run by businesspeople alone, you need to keep creating and innovating. Look at some of the tech companies as well, the decline is quick when you stop focusing on your underlying fundamentals. I'm sorry but you can't just purchase someone else's ideas and skate by forever.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
For kicks earlier I wound up looking at some posts from 2006-07 (waaay before I had even heard of this site ... when folks here still thought @Lee, @marni1971 and @Tim G --Corrus before the change -- were some sort of insider tri fecta. ) and it was amazing how so many folks were shouting down any criticism of Disney at all and ripping UNI ... and, yeah, not entirely different than now. Just far, far, far fewer Pixie Dust addicts. Back then it really seemed like it was an 8-2 'WDW has never been better and is run by great management' ratio ... there was even a thread where people were defending Jay Rasulo and Meg Crofton (I kid you not!) But if you are interested in what I was reading about, well, I won't waste your time by telling you to go read them.

Auburn-FSU sounds like one great national championship game ... but I don't see myself trying to find a place to catch the game across the pond.

So, I'm going to do something rare. I'm opening myself up for ridicule. Here is a very gentle post, from a young (a mere 37), naive George back in 2006. Note the topic I'm starting and the replies.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/quality-at-wdw-is-it-slipping.70736/

Also, I'm a lifelong FSU fan and alumnus, I just wish I knew if Winston was guilty or not. I'll never know, so I now feel this weird nagging discomfort as opposed to the fettered joy (not unfettered, I'm too old and teams have let me down too many times) of watching the best Seminole team of my lifetime. After the first game (Pitt), my wife asked me how they looked. I said, "Solid, well-coached, athletic, no obvious holes and the the freshman they have at QB may literally be better than Ward, Weinke, Weldon, or B. Johnson".

Darth Sidious

So, I'm going to do something rare. I'm opening myself up for ridicule. Here is a very gentle post, from a young (a mere 37), naive George back in 2006. Note the topic I'm starting and the replies.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/quality-at-wdw-is-it-slipping.70736/

Also, I'm a lifelong FSU fan and alumnus, I just wish I knew if Winston was guilty or not. I'll never know, so I now feel this weird nagging discomfort as opposed to the fettered joy (not unfettered, I'm too old and teams have let me down too many times) of watching the best Seminole team of my lifetime. After the first game (Pitt), my wife asked me how they looked. I said, "Solid, well-coached, athletic, no obvious holes and the the freshman they have at QB may literally be better than Ward, Weinke, Weldon, or B. Johnson".

I gave it a like! haha... I think that at the time that was a very honest and well versed opinion.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Even if I had to get my glasses out to read that teeny-tiny font.

Tis strange isn't it. I have no idea why I did that. Looking back through thread, I remember the awkwardness of wanting to engage in a debate/discussion and realizing that some people had HUGE psychological issues with even considering that some aspect of WDW may not be as good as it once was. In fact, I just realized, it kind of got turned around on me for having weird psychological issues with not just accepting the huge ball o'magic in unquestioning manner when I go under the big, welcome sign.

Last edited:

Darth Sidious

Tis strange isn't it. I have no idea why I did that. Looking back through thread, I remember the awkwardness of wanting to engage in a debate/discussion and realizing that some people had HUGE psychological issues with even considering that some aspect of WDW may not be as good as it once was. In fact, I just realized, it kind of got turned around on me for having weird psychological issues with not just accepting the huge ball o'magic in unquestioning manner which I go under the big, welcome sign.

It can be hard to accept what, in your mind, is purely based on nostalgia. It takes a really honest assessment to even make note of it yourself when you are in that state. I love the parks, movies, tv shows, all of it... I just wish I could one day have an opportunity to change what has gone wrong. I want to be in a position to let kids, families and everyone in between build these lasting memories like all of us here had. Whether that is with TWDC or another company, thats my goal and its upsetting to an extent to see that ideal going the wayside as of late. Here's to some better times.

Funmeister

Ok. I really wasn't paying too much attention to any one thing in particular in that pitch black (with bad lighting) store.

That's a shame. Considering there was tons of merch on the shelves and walls, I wonder who is buying it, if anyone.

Does anyone else's disney store still have the same decorations (big bad wolf, three little pigs, Huey dewie and luie and general near ceiling set up of a movie set?) from the day it opened or is it just mine? The rest of the store has been updated but this hasn't been touched since store launch.

There are more of those stores around than you think. When the company began the "Imagination Park" layover on existing Disney Stores, they quickly realized it was an expenditure that was unnecessary because those stores were already paid for. In addition...people to this day still prefer that concept over the rest.

Sure Imagination Park is neat but imho it does not connect with guests the way the older stores do to this day. Unfortunately when different aspects of the old stores break or become worn out they are left broken or removed entirely.

Sped2424

OK, so I went back to the first post on this thread and it was all about the hyperbole of the Marvel/Gambling obsessions of Mr. Spirit. Since then this thread has gone every direction possible. Even in his own post asking us to not stray to far away from topic or ask for it to be closed, consists of the following: Frozen (and it's ratings), Boarding the Way Back Machine to 2006 to report on what was being discussed back then, Shanghai and air pollution, Orlando Lifestylers weekend in Anaheim, French Walmarts, DLP, people Tweet 27 hours a day, Auburn-FSU, SNL hasn't been very good this season, Spirited Secret: I have never downloaded music, about the Skyway station going away, Anaheim, amazing that they can have BTMRR down right through the holidays and it's terrible that DL is losing the Billies.

Then in the middle of all that have the audacity to say to us... "Just a warning to those who may miss me, but I shall only be around for a couple more days. After that, you are on your own. Please, if this thread starts heading down the toilet, then ask the mods to shutter it."

So tell me what exactly the hell is the topic of this thread and I will personally see to it that whomever strays will be soundly beaten and forced to carry a sign of shame down the middle of Main Street USA, that reads, "I have blatantly overlooked Spirited Demands and have had a thought of my own".
See the thing is even if his topics range they are all news updates and rumors about the company, which is okay. While seeing people argue on here when there is no news updates is annoying. It makes me think something new happened and instead its 2 people fighting over uni and wdw.

The Empress Lilly

I find it strange the Fantasyland Skyway station wasn't demolished when the ride closed. Why keep the station if there's no attraction? Even more strange that the Tomorrowland station was demolished. With that being said, it's a beautiful little building and it's a shame it can't be used or turned into something else. Of course, fans are freaking out, even though the little building sits and hides in between trees and houses critters. Most people don't even know it's there.

View attachment 40618

In regards to the Billies, I'll be sad to see them go, but if they're replaced with something really good (bring back the Golden Horseshoe Revue!), I won't complain.
I expected they'd leave the Skyway station intact until a full overhaul of the north of Frontierland. Using it as the entrance of a new land cionsiting of the ranch and the area beyond.

I miss the Skyway at the MK's FL too. For aesthetic reasons. It was one half of a Bavarian hillside town, providing the hillside bit. Our FL now looks like Rapunzel cartoon village mixed with a World Showcase South Germany that consisst of a bathroom.

We always knew the days of the Skyway stations at both coasts were numbered once the Skyway was removed. What matters is what replaces it. DL's remoaval will likely not be as intrusive or theme-wrecking.

Bolna

Just a warning to those who may miss me, but I shall only be around for a couple more days. After that, you are on your own. Please, if this thread starts heading down the toilet, then ask the mods to shutter it.

Have a great trip to Europe! I think you are a bit crazy to give up the warm sunshine of Florida for a harsh winter in Europe, but I guess you have your reasons. Hope you will have a magical time at DLP, I have heard great things about their new Christmas tree - and it seems that they show their Christmas parade free for everyone three times a day. You must like the lack of up charge parties at that resort. I'd love to spent some pre-Christmas time there to get in the mood for the holidays!

Goofyernmost

See the thing is even if his topics range they are all news updates and rumors about the company, which is okay. While seeing people argue on here when there is no news updates is annoying. It makes me think something new happened and instead its 2 people fighting over uni and wdw.
All well and good, but, really if everyone were to open their eyes for a moment, there have been very few news updates and rumors with any verification listed anywhere for a long time. Just a theory here, but, I think Disney has clamped down on leaked information, and the sources of confirmation have dried up. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of false information is being circulated just to trace where the leaks are. So, with that in mind, we might just as well close the whole board down, because whatever is happening is being held close to the chest. Besides we still have @marni1971 around and I trust his information over anyones. Until then this and any other thread needs to go whatever direction it takes that isn't nasty.

Cosmic Commando

Transport has never been developed properly after 1983. The idea of WDW was to develop the area with urban public transport. Which requires hubs. The idea was to counter the suburban sprawl which had taken over the US. Instead, Eisner developed WDW as just another parcel of FLorida, carving out suburban spaces as they went along, with utter disregard for what the FLorida Project sought to achieve. Which was brushed aside as the utopian pipedreams of old men from a previous generation. The result is the current transport disaster. Which like everywhere else in subirban America, knows only busses as public transport. That cheapest and most unmagical mode of transport. Transportation in WDW has turned from a smart, magical first ride of the day into a cumbersome, time-consuming temporary suspension of magic.
I think that the buses have a lot of plusses going for them:
-use mostly infrastructure that must already be provided for guests travelling by car
-can purchase new buses without worrying about "compatibility" with the roads
-can send more buses to busy spots very easily

BUT... I think the buses could use a bit of a paradigm shift. I do think TDO views them simply as the cheapest way to satisfy a necessary evil of moving resort guests around. When Walt built his "amusement park", he used movie guys because he wanted a cinematic experience. If he had used the guys that built the amusement parks of the day, he would have gotten... just another of the amusement parks of the day. The current head of transportation is a big city system manager. That means we get a big city bus system. I think there have been encouraging developments regarding the buses... the addition of themed music and monorail-like narration was awesome. It could be so much more, though. What if we could make the leap from the "amusement park" buses of today to whatever the "Disneyland" of buses would be?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
LOL, I had to skip it because I'm having pain today and getting up for glasses was decided against, lol. I'll grab them on my next bathroom production. :)

I used my magical editing powers to make a magical change to the text size. I thought about updating the content to make me look like a super genius, but decided against it. You may now read something much more pithy whilst on the throne.

Soarin' Over Pgh

...does anyone wanna discuss the horrific smog and it's impact on SDL? Because I think...it's worth discussing.

Disney and more posted that construction is halted due to the bad smog. How on earth is this park going to operate with this factor?

JimboJones123

I expected they'd leave the Skyway station intact until a full overhaul of the north of Frontierland. Using it as the entrance of a new land cionsiting of the ranch and the area beyond.

I miss the Skyway at the MK's FL too. For aesthetic reasons. It was one half of a Bavarian hillside town, providing the hillside bit. Our FL now looks like Rapunzel cartoon village mixed with a World Showcase South Germany that consisst of a bathroom.

We always knew the days of the Skyway stations at both coasts were numbered once the Skyway was removed. What matters is what replaces it. DL's remoaval will likely not be as intrusive or theme-wrecking.
I've heard it all when I hear complaints about the Tangled bathrooms lacking the theming of an abandoned skyway tower.

Animaniac93-98

I've heard it all when I hear complaints about the Tangled bathrooms lacking the theming of an abandoned skyway tower.

It's more about consistency. The Skyway station matched the setting where it was built. The Tangled bathrooms do not, to say nothing of seeing Rapunzel's tower in Frontierland.

The Aladdin spinner is another example of poor "placemaking" done with MK since 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom