The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

michmousefan

I believe the Lopez's are capable of better work (get thee to BOOK OF MORMON!).

I liked the music in Frozen, but The Book of Mormon is definitely the high-water point for the Lopez's -- it's in a class by its own. Superbly funny, audacious, insightful and memorable, while deftly straddling the line between a modern and an old-fashioned broadway musical (although of course Trey and Matt get some credit for that, too).

Bolna

When I was in Germany, the simple counter service schnitzel food outlet served all their food on real plates with real silverware. We can't do that in the United States of Honey Boo Boo because too many people would outfit their homes with stolen dishware. Like many have said, "This is why we cannot have nice things."

The location was the food court at the Sudring Centre in Paderborn, NRW.

Well, we Germans are obsessed with garbage - how to avoid it and how to recycle it. Therefore we do have rather high "dues" that we pay for garbage. Not by charging the people who dispose of it, but by charging the people who actually put disposable items (especially packaging) into the market. So, there is a higher incentive to use re-usable things. And besides that, many places that give out real plates/glasses/silverware would ask for a deposit. For example the local Christmas market has a new design for the Glühwein (mulled wine) mugs every year. You pay 3 € for the Glühwein and an additional 2.50 € for the mug - which you can either keep for that price or get refunded if you return the mug. Since it is a centralised system, you don't have to return it to the vendor you got it from, any Glühwein vendor (and there are plenty!!) will take it.

But I agree very much with everyone about how much better DL is with regard to that aspect than WDW. I was so thrilled when I first saw pictures of DL counter service meals and saw the real plates and silverware. It makes such a huge difference!!!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One of my biggest pet peeves about WDW... the idea of sitting indoors, premium priced, and eating with paper plates and plastic forks!!

Try BOG, if you can get in for lunch.

I think one of the reasons that BOG probably can have real silverware and plates is there is a controlled environment. There is really only 1 way in or out. With some of the CS places there are too many ways in and out and people would walk off with stuff. It's sad but true.:(

TinkerBelle8878

Some news that may not interest fanbois, but does me so here goes: Bob Iger's reign has brought destruction and doom through many facets of TWDC beyond P&R. Two that hit close to home for me are the destruction of ABC Sports, so as to push the ESPN Brand (hey, remember when Monday Night Football was a happening ... NBC has that now on Sunday nights!) and ABC Daytime, which slaughtered two ground-breaking daytime dramas in All My Children and One Life to Live.

Well, the latter got quite ugly after Prospect Park bought the rights and tried to resurrect them online. After failing once, they came back in spring of 2013 with four 30 minute shows a week, later cut to two. Oprah's OWN network picked them up as well (why would Disney have wanted them on SoapNet, which it was killing again!)

Season 1 was relatively successful, but there was some bizarre actions on the part of ABC/Disney, which wouldn't surrender web domains or allow the new reboots to use vintage footage for flashbacks. Stranger still, three OLTL stars had migrated to play the same rolls on General Hospital (the only soap left on the network). Other characters came over and were quickly killed off resulting in a lawsuit that delayed a second season of OLTL. Both shows that shot in CT eventually threw in the towel last month and the lawsuit with Disney got even uglier.

Now? With the suit moving forward and ABC Daytime struggling everywhere EXCEPT General Hospital, which has returned to a recipe of quality and stars, word from a Spirited soap source (who throws amazing Christmas parties and has a collection of Emmys) is that ABC is working on trying to buy back the shows and put them on as 30 minutes (they used to be one hour long) five days a week. Katie Couric's disaster is leaving a gaping hole in the schedule when it goes and ABC does not want to give that time back to the affiliates.

I could write more, but there's probably little interest so ... I'll just leave that tidbit.

YOUR favorite company is run by idiots, truly.

I'm interested but that's only because I've been following that story since its beginning. I may be in the minority though.

I think that writing (that its run by idiots) was on the wall when they started the downward spiral of Daytime.

The entire Daytime slaughter of ABC made no sense when it started. They were getting rid of soaps that had loyal audiences for 3 talk shows that 2 of which have been cancelled for less viewership. Then preceeding that there was the coastal switch of All My Children and One Life to Live due to one having more viewers and needing a bigger soundstage to tape. That coast change was piled onto a horrible head writer/showrunner that ran All My Children into the ground. I was an All my Children fan before historical things started being reversed (without getting too political, one very specific instance with Erica, 30 years before, timely stuff), stuff that was older than I was but I knew the history of, and it went down hill from there. I stopped watching when there were all these random new people replacing old and popular characters (too much $$$ perhaps). I think Susan Lucci wrote a whole missive in the foreword of her book after this all (everything: cancellation, coastal move, etc) went down.

It actually draws an interesting parallel to how Iger is handling WDW. Iger is the head writer, WDW is essentially the soap but as each part gets diminished its going to be a shell and then eventually 'cancelled'.

As for Soapnet, loved when this network premiered with all these random old shows that I never had the chance to watch. But those were never kept on after those first few years. It certainly couldn't have cost that much to rotate them. And yet...its 90210, General Hospital, Days, Veronica Mars, One Tree Hill, repeat. So much promise and a great niche network left to languish. So I guess in this parallel, Soapnet = Epcot?

Nubs70

When I was in Germany, the simple counter service schnitzel food outlet served all their food on real plates with real silverware. We can't do that in the United States of Honey Boo Boo because too many people would outfit their homes with stolen dishwasher. Like many have said, "This is why we cannot have nice things."
Well, we Germans are obsessed with garbage - how to avoid it and how to recycle it. Therefore we do have rather high "dues" that we pay for garbage. Not by charging the people who dispose of it, but by charging the people who actually put disposable items (especially packaging) into the market. So, there is a higher incentive to use re-usable things. And besides that, many places that give out real plates/glasses/silverware would ask for a deposit. For example the local Christmas market has a new design for the Glühwein (mulled wine) mugs every year. You pay 3 € for the Glühwein and an additional 2.50 € for the mug - which you can either keep for that price or get refunded if you return the mug. Since it is a centralised system, you don't have to return it to the vendor you got it from, any Glühwein vendor (and there are plenty!!) will take it.

But I agree very much with everyone about how much better DL is with regard to that aspect than WDW. I was so thrilled when I first saw pictures of DL counter service meals and saw the real plates and silverware. It makes such a huge difference!!!
Thus is why I have several Erdinger and Krombacher 1/2 litre beer glasses.

Figments Friend

We have a trip to Southern California and Disneyland planned for next year but after this year’s WDW disappointment, it feels like Disney has lost the magic. Really thinking about cancelling our 6 nights at the Grand Californian. I know, DLR is much better but WDW has sucked so much fun out of The Mouse that it’s soured us to all things Disney.

Sorry to hear about your recent, somewhat disappointing visit to WDW.

Definately do NOT cancel your planned visit to DLR, because i can guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised by your experience out there.

Disneyland is a completely different entity...and a refreshing change from WDW for a 'regular visitor' like yourself.
I am also a long time WDW veteran and have recently over the last few years 'discovered' the unique experience on the other coast.
I love it...and like you, have 'free passes' to WDW but have little motivation to return any time soon.
It's all about DLR now.

Ignore the comments you may read/hear about DLR being 'smaller then WDW'.
Size matters not land wise...it is what is contained within that land space that matters!
Just go and experience it and realize how much 'bigger' it really is in some aspects!
;)

Do indeed give it a try...and i am sure you and your family will enjoy your time there!

:)

Last edited:

alissafalco

Some news that may not interest fanbois, but does me so here goes: Bob Iger's reign has brought destruction and doom through many facets of TWDC beyond P&R. Two that hit close to home for me are the destruction of ABC Sports, so as to push the ESPN Brand (hey, remember when Monday Night Football was a happening ... NBC has that now on Sunday nights!) and ABC Daytime, which slaughtered two ground-breaking daytime dramas in All My Children and One Life to Live.

Well, the latter got quite ugly after Prospect Park bought the rights and tried to resurrect them online. After failing once, they came back in spring of 2013 with four 30 minute shows a week, later cut to two. Oprah's OWN network picked them up as well (why would Disney have wanted them on SoapNet, which it was killing again!)

Season 1 was relatively successful, but there was some bizarre actions on the part of ABC/Disney, which wouldn't surrender web domains or allow the new reboots to use vintage footage for flashbacks. Stranger still, three OLTL stars had migrated to play the same rolls on General Hospital (the only soap left on the network). Other characters came over and were quickly killed off resulting in a lawsuit that delayed a second season of OLTL. Both shows that shot in CT eventually threw in the towel last month and the lawsuit with Disney got even uglier.

Now? With the suit moving forward and ABC Daytime struggling everywhere EXCEPT General Hospital, which has returned to a recipe of quality and stars, word from a Spirited soap source (who throws amazing Christmas parties and has a collection of Emmys) is that ABC is working on trying to buy back the shows and put them on as 30 minutes (they used to be one hour long) five days a week. Katie Couric's disaster is leaving a gaping hole in the schedule when it goes and ABC does not want to give that time back to the affiliates.

I could write more, but there's probably little interest so ... I'll just leave that tidbit.

YOUR favorite company is run by idiots, truly.

Yes, Todd as Franco?, Star as Kiki? And Mcbain as whatever that Dr's name is, UGH!

alissafalco

The dishwashers for when MK had real plates and silverware in its counter service eateries are still there apparently. Was one of the sadder Disney-related things I read online in the last few months.

For a company that's so "enviromental", wouldn't it be better to keep re-using the same plates, forks and knives instead of putting all that plastic in the garbage?

But that would mean they would have to pay extra employees to wash the dishes. With paper and plastic the customer picks up the tab in the price they are paying for the food. So more profit for Disney using paper and plastic!!

Soarin' Over Pgh

I wish this were more common. I really hate that our culture is so wasteful. And lazy. And fat.

But it's not OUR fault, right?

Where's that eyeroll smiley, I need a few of them right here...

Saw frozen today. Loved it. Taking Mom to see it tomorrow after lunch. Beautiful design from beginning to end. Didn't mind the snowman as much as I thought I would. I could see myself buying this DVD and soundtrack... Aaaand prob some merch as well. Didn't find any locally, but wasn't near the disney store today.

Unrelated note, but I saw the worst looking disney licensed (uh, I think? Actually didn't check tags) merchandise today at hot topic. Lion king socks are what pulled me into the store, but the Ariel screen printed (and badly, at that. Colors were off and offset as well) wallet cell phone combo was easily the saddest thing I've seen Ariel's face plastered on. Venturing bravely through the rest of the cramped, painted black and smelling of irony store, there was several little mermaid book bags, purses and clutches, all badly designed and printed. The prices did not reflect this.

I didn't buy the socks. They were so thin, one wash and they would have been trash.

I guess all of disneys bad quality control merch gets sent to hot topic? I'm really baffled by the poor quality of every disney related thing I saw in there. Right next door at Claire's, the disney headbands, jewelry, purses and wallets were of better quality ...and price. (Says the proud new owner of a Minnie Mouse wallet)

Figments Friend

Reminds me of the t-shirts i saw at my local shopping mall the other day.....at 'Wet Seal' of all places....

For those outside of the US, 'Wet Seal' is a quasi-trendy teenager/young adult 'contemporary/hip fashion' type of clothing shop.

Lately they have been displaying Disney themed stretch t-shirts...and tank tops.
Snow White...holding a apple..with the large caption in words emblazoned across the bottom of it saying "Just Bite".
A Little Mermaid top with another random comment...
Belle too...

I found it a little odd....the captions mostly.
Made me an eyebrow from a distance.

Travel Junkie

Wanted to add to the DLR is not WDW discussion. They may have a one Disney approach but in actuality the 2 resorts are run drastically different.

For starters DL and DCA combined could fit into Epcot. Yet the 2 parks have nearly as many attractions as the 4 WDW parks. With everything so compact (including the hotels) you have a much easier time getting around. DTD is right next door to the parks instead of miles away and is much better than WDW’s.

It is much less stressful vacation than WDW. There is very little planning involved Reservations are rarely is ever needed and DLR has great counter service options with a lot of variety to fit the diversity of So Cal. The locals and AP’s have been there and done that and are in no hurry to hit every attraction. This adds a very laid back feeling most of the time at DLR despite the lack of space that produces log jams on busy nights.

One of the often overlooked things that distinguish the current DLR from WDW is the energy DLR has. Main St. is bustling with the Main St. vehicles and characters walking around meeting guests instead of locked indoors at some formal meet and greet. Shows that just spontaneously pop up all over the park like live jazz in New Orleans Square, the Disneyland band playing all over the park, Five and Dime on BVS, various musical acts in Paradise Gardens and Tomorrowland and much much more. With So Cal’s talent pool at their disposal the entertainment is typically top notch. Different times of day will transform portions of the park as the River’s of America become Fantasmic! at night. Even different times of the year bring different fireworks shows and several attraction overlays to fit the seasons.

WDW always touts their blessing of size when compared to DLR. In its current state it looks like a curse to me. WDW has so many dead areas and empty buildings. The last time I visited WDW I noticed a complete lack of kinetic energy, good live entertainment options, and lack of variety in counter service dining. DLR is far from perfect but for anyone fed up with a stale WDW but still want to experience a Disney park without having to leave the country, DLR is a great option. If you don’t like it you are still smack dab in the middle of Southern California and all it has to offer.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Wanted to add to the DLR is not WDW discussion. They may have a one Disney approach but in actuality the 2 resorts are run drastically different.

For starters DL and DCA combined could fit into Epcot. Yet the 2 parks have nearly as many attractions as the 4 WDW parks. With everything so compact (including the hotels) you have a much easier time getting around. DTD is right next door to the parks instead of miles away and is much better than WDW’s.

It is much less stressful vacation than WDW. There is very little planning involved Reservations are rarely is ever needed and DLR has great counter service options with a lot of variety to fit the diversity of So Cal. The locals and AP’s have been there and done that and are in no hurry to hit every attraction. This adds a very laid back feeling most of the time at DLR despite the lack of space that produces log jams on busy nights.

One of the often overlooked things that distinguish the current DLR from WDW is the energy DLR has. Main St. is bustling with the Main St. vehicles and characters walking around meeting guests instead of locked indoors at some formal meet and greet. Shows that just spontaneously pop up all over the park like live jazz in New Orleans Square, the Disneyland band playing all over the park, Five and Dime on BVS, various musical acts in Paradise Gardens and Tomorrowland and much much more. With So Cal’s talent pool at their disposal the entertainment is typically top notch. Different times of day will transform portions of the park as the River’s of America become Fantasmic! at night. Even different times of the year bring different fireworks shows and several attraction overlays to fit the seasons.

WDW always touts their blessing of size when compared to DLR. In its current state it looks like a curse to me. WDW has so many dead areas and empty buildings. The last time I visited WDW I noticed a complete lack of kinetic energy, good live entertainment options, and lack of variety in counter service dining. DLR is far from perfect but for anyone fed up with a stale WDW but still want to experience a Disney park without having to leave the country, DLR is a great option. If you don’t like it you are still smack dab in the middle of Southern California and all it has to offer.
I'm sold.
One thing you forgot to mention - Walt walked here. Walt dined here. Walt played here. Walt. Was. Here.

Born in 1967, I never actually shared this planet with Uncle Walt, yet thanks to Sunday nights on ABC, he was as near and dear to me as my real Uncle Walt.

I'd say DL is on my bucket list, but I have no intention of waiting that long. 2014 or bust!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom