The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Commando

For starters DL and DCA combined could fit into Epcot. Yet the 2 parks have nearly as many attractions as the 4 WDW parks. With everything so compact (including the hotels) you have a much easier time getting around. DTD is right next door to the parks instead of miles away and is much better than WDW’s.
Same scale:
dlrepcotcomparison.jpg

CDavid

But that would mean they would have to pay extra employees to wash the dishes. With paper and plastic the customer picks up the tab in the price they are paying for the food. So more profit for Disney using paper and plastic!!

Well, the customers are going to pick up the tab either way, for dishwashers or else for disposable stuff. I'd much rather pay just a bit more for a dishwasher. We're already paying premium prices anyway; We ought to get premium service in return (I realize its an old fashioned notion).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, the customers are going to pick up the tab either way, for dishwashers or else for disposable stuff. I'd much rather pay just a bit more for a dishwasher. We're already paying premium prices anyway; We ought to get premium service in return (I realize its an old fashioned notion).
I agree with this. It makes no difference to Disney from a profit standpoint since they would just pass the cost on. I think it also depends on where and what I'm eating. I'm OK with paper plates and plastic forks from a food stand. Any place where I am sitting indoors I would probably prefer real dinnerware. They really need a 3rd category between table service and counter service. I think they are possibly trying this out with BOG. Using the magic bands and/or "pager" they could very easily implement a system at a lot of counter service locations where you order form a screen then sit down and the food is brought out on actual plates. One exception, I almost always would prefer a paper cup though. I like taking my drink to go especially if it's a large one.

The Empress Lilly

Wanted to add to the DLR is not WDW discussion. They may have a one Disney approach but in actuality the 2 resorts are run drastically different.

For starters DL and DCA combined could fit into Epcot. Yet the 2 parks have nearly as many attractions as the 4 WDW parks. With everything so compact (including the hotels) you have a much easier time getting around. DTD is right next door to the parks instead of miles away and is much better than WDW’s.

It is much less stressful vacation than WDW. There is very little planning involved Reservations are rarely is ever needed and DLR has great counter service options with a lot of variety to fit the diversity of So Cal. The locals and AP’s have been there and done that and are in no hurry to hit every attraction. This adds a very laid back feeling most of the time at DLR despite the lack of space that produces log jams on busy nights.

One of the often overlooked things that distinguish the current DLR from WDW is the energy DLR has. Main St. is bustling with the Main St. vehicles and characters walking around meeting guests instead of locked indoors at some formal meet and greet. Shows that just spontaneously pop up all over the park like live jazz in New Orleans Square, the Disneyland band playing all over the park, Five and Dime on BVS, various musical acts in Paradise Gardens and Tomorrowland and much much more. With So Cal’s talent pool at their disposal the entertainment is typically top notch. Different times of day will transform portions of the park as the River’s of America become Fantasmic! at night. Even different times of the year bring different fireworks shows and several attraction overlays to fit the seasons.

WDW always touts their blessing of size when compared to DLR. In its current state it looks like a curse to me. WDW has so many dead areas and empty buildings. The last time I visited WDW I noticed a complete lack of kinetic energy, good live entertainment options, and lack of variety in counter service dining. DLR is far from perfect but for anyone fed up with a stale WDW but still want to experience a Disney park without having to leave the country, DLR is a great option. If you don’t like it you are still smack dab in the middle of Southern California and all it has to offer.
Well said.

What really bugs me is that WDW once enjoyed the blessing of size, and that through mismanagement they turned this asset into a detriment.

Once you would approach DL from an ugly parking lot, hemmed in by cheap motel towers and urban sprawl. At WDW, you approached the MK in a pleasant fantasy setting. Nowadays, you approach the MK from an ugly bus parking lot, hemmed in by cheap DVC towers and urban sprawl, and DL's through a pleasant fantasy setting.

Transport has never been developed properly after 1983. The idea of WDW was to develop the area with urban public transport. Which requires hubs. The idea was to counter the suburban sprawl which had taken over the US. Instead, Eisner developed WDW as just another parcel of FLorida, carving out suburban spaces as they went along, with utter disregard for what the FLorida Project sought to achieve. Which was brushed aside as the utopian pipedreams of old men from a previous generation. The result is the current transport disaster. Which like everywhere else in subirban America, knows only busses as public transport. That cheapest and most unmagical mode of transport. Transportation in WDW has turned from a smart, magical first ride of the day into a cumbersome, time-consuming temporary suspension of magic.

Even UNI, if it connects its existing resort with a few plots a bit further south will be a more managable resort. Shorter distances, through surroundings that are indistinguishable from the ugliness and suburban sprawl of WDW anyway.

Never again in the developed world will such a large plot of land be acquired by a themed resort, and never again will such a unique prospect be so shamefully squandered.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Weekend Musings:

So, after thinking about it, I would give Frozen 3 1/2 stars (out of four) if I were reviewing it. I can certainly understand people putting it up with Disney's 90s fare. I absolutely don't believe it's better than everything since Lion King, however. Hunchback of Notre Dame was an amazing all-audiences powerhouse of animation and tackles issues that Disney would never do almost two decades later.

For kicks earlier I wound up looking at some posts from 2006-07 (waaay before I had even heard of this site ... when folks here still thought @Lee, @marni1971 and @Tim G --Corrus before the change -- were some sort of insider tri fecta. ) and it was amazing how so many folks were shouting down any criticism of Disney at all and ripping UNI ... and, yeah, not entirely different than now. Just far, far, far fewer Pixie Dust addicts. Back then it really seemed like it was an 8-2 'WDW has never been better and is run by great management' ratio ... there was even a thread where people were defending Jay Rasulo and Meg Crofton (I kid you not!) But if you are interested in what I was reading about, well, I won't waste your time by telling you to go read them.

Everyone see the smog in Shanghai that is off the charts unhealthy and has stopped work on all construction projects, including SDL, grounded planes and canceled school? ...yeah, I'm sure Iger didn't even take the horrific (trust me, as someone who has lived in three Chinese cities the worst day in LA isn't like what I saw in Beijing) environmental issues into consideration before signing a deal.

Is this Orlando Lifestylers weekend in Anaheim? I do know it is very cold and today was rainy. It's balmy in O-Town ...

Just a warning to those who may miss me, but I shall only be around for a couple more days. After that, you are on your own. Please, if this thread starts heading down the toilet, then ask the mods to shutter it.

SW has one helluva PR disaster on its hands with three named bands/performers pulling out of its concert series in light of the Blackfish film, which I have not seen. One Seas friend told me quite bluntly that 'we've had our issues in the past, but I'd put our current treatment and handling of the animals at the highest levels (in the industry) and as good or better than Disney. This film is just designed to mindlessly destroy us because they ignorantly think we can just let em (out) and shut our business down.''

For a resort that is shutting down and becoming home to condos and giant French Walmarts, DLP sure has a lot of renovations going on, including the first 500 rooms of the Newport Bay Club, and is repairing many effects that haven't worked in years. And the pics of the Ratatouille ride and area look very nice, although the proof will be when it opens ... that is, if the bulldozers don't come first!

Seriously, does it seem like some people Tweet 27 hours a day (not talking strictly about @EPCOT Explorer)?

Auburn-FSU sounds like one great national championship game ... but I don't see myself trying to find a place to catch the game across the pond.

SNL hasn't been very good this season, but something happens when Paul Rudd hosts (maybe it's all the guest stars who show up) and tonight I actually laughed multiple times.

Spirited Secret: I have never downloaded music. Never. I still buy physical CDs. Can you imagine that?

DL fans shouldn't be that upset about the Skyway station going away. I may have been in it about 6-7 years ago and if I were then it needed to be taken down back then!

Speaking of Anaheim, amazing that they can have BTMRR down right through the holidays and everything will be just fine. Can you imagine if MK's version was down this long? And then it was prolonged into the Christmas holiday period? Yeah, nightmare city. But again, it's all about capacity. So all you defenders of mediocrity and Pixie Dust addicts can GO RIDE YOUR MAGIC BANDS!

I think it's terrible that DL is losing the Billies ... at the same point it speaks volumes that they have had them for almost 20 years and are just losing them now.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I find it strange the Fantasyland Skyway station wasn't demolished when the ride closed. Why keep the station if there's no attraction? Even more strange that the Tomorrowland station was demolished. With that being said, it's a beautiful little building and it's a shame it can't be used or turned into something else. Of course, fans are freaking out, even though the little building sits and hides in between trees and houses critters. Most people don't even know it's there.

image.jpg

In regards to the Billies, I'll be sad to see them go, but if they're replaced with something really good (bring back the Golden Horseshoe Revue!), I won't complain.

Funmeister

I wish this were more common. I really hate that our culture is so wasteful. And lazy. And fat.

But it's not OUR fault, right?

Where's that eyeroll smiley, I need a few of them right here...

Saw frozen today. Loved it. Taking Mom to see it tomorrow after lunch. Beautiful design from beginning to end. Didn't mind the snowman as much as I thought I would. I could see myself buying this DVD and soundtrack... Aaaand prob some merch as well. Didn't find any locally, but wasn't near the disney store today.

Unrelated note, but I saw the worst looking disney licensed (uh, I think? Actually didn't check tags) merchandise today at hot topic. Lion king socks are what pulled me into the store, but the Ariel screen printed (and badly, at that. Colors were off and offset as well) wallet cell phone combo was easily the saddest thing I've seen Ariel's face plastered on. Venturing bravely through the rest of the cramped, painted black and smelling of irony store, there was several little mermaid book bags, purses and clutches, all badly designed and printed. The prices did not reflect this.

I didn't buy the socks. They were so thin, one wash and they would have been trash.

I guess all of disneys bad quality control merch gets sent to hot topic? I'm really baffled by the poor quality of every disney related thing I saw in there. Right next door at Claire's, the disney headbands, jewelry, purses and wallets were of better quality ...and price. (Says the proud new owner of a Minnie Mouse wallet)

If you look at most of the other merchandise in the store you will see it is not necessarily "bad quality" Disney products but that is the style of the entire store. I saw the shirts you spoke about and they do look cheap but that style is what gets their target demographic to buy their merchandise. It is all legally licensed Disney product.

Soarin' Over Pgh

If you look at most of the other merchandise in the store you will see it is not necessarily "bad quality" Disney products but that is the style of the entire store. I saw the shirts you spoke about and they do look cheap but that style is what gets their target demographic to buy their merchandise. It is all legally licensed Disney product.

Ok. I really wasn't paying too much attention to any one thing in particular in that pitch black (with bad lighting) store.

That's a shame. Considering there was tons of merch on the shelves and walls, I wonder who is buying it, if anyone.

Does anyone else's disney store still have the same decorations (big bad wolf, three little pigs, Huey dewie and luie and general near ceiling set up of a movie set?) from the day it opened or is it just mine? The rest of the store has been updated but this hasn't been touched since store launch.

RSoxNo1

So, after thinking about it, I would give Frozen 3 1/2 stars (out of four) if I were reviewing it. I can certainly understand people putting it up with Disney's 90s fare. I absolutely don't believe it's better than everything since Lion King, however. Hunchback of Notre Dame was an amazing all-audiences powerhouse of animation and tackles issues that Disney would never do almost two decades later.

For kicks earlier I wound up looking at some posts from 2006-07 (waaay before I had even heard of this site ... when folks here still thought @Lee, @marni1971 and @Tim G --Corrus before the change -- were some sort of insider tri fecta. ) and it was amazing how so many folks were shouting down any criticism of Disney at all and ripping UNI ... and, yeah, not entirely different than now. Just far, far, far fewer Pixie Dust addicts. Back then it really seemed like it was an 8-2 'WDW has never been better and is run by great management' ratio ... there was even a thread where people were defending Jay Rasulo and Meg Crofton (I kid you not!) But if you are interested in what I was reading about, well, I won't waste your time by telling you to go read them.

Everyone see the smog in Shanghai that is off the charts unhealthy and has stopped work on all construction projects, including SDL, grounded planes and canceled school? ...yeah, I'm sure Iger didn't even take the horrific (trust me, as someone who has lived in three Chinese cities the worst day in LA isn't like what I saw in Beijing) environmental issues into consideration before signing a deal.

Is this Orlando Lifestylers weekend in Anaheim? I do know it is very cold and today was rainy. It's balmy in O-Town ...

Just a warning to those who may miss me, but I shall only be around for a couple more days. After that, you are on your own. Please, if this thread starts heading down the toilet, then ask the mods to shutter it.

SW has one helluva PR disaster on its hands with three named bands/performers pulling out of its concert series in light of the Blackfish film, which I have not seen. One Seas friend told me quite bluntly that 'we've had our issues in the past, but I'd put our current treatment and handling of the animals at the highest levels (in the industry) and as good or better than Disney. This film is just designed to mindlessly destroy us because they ignorantly think we can just let em (out) and shut our business down.''

For a resort that is shutting down and becoming home to condos and giant French Walmarts, DLP sure has a lot of renovations going on, including the first 500 rooms of the Newport Bay Club, and is repairing many effects that haven't worked in years. And the pics of the Ratatouille ride and area look very nice, although the proof will be when it opens ... that is, if the bulldozers don't come first!

Seriously, does it seem like some people Tweet 27 hours a day (not talking strictly about @EPCOT Explorer)?

Auburn-FSU sounds like one great national championship game ... but I don't see myself trying to find a place to catch the game across the pond.

SNL hasn't been very good this season, but something happens when Paul Rudd hosts (maybe it's all the guest stars who show up) and tonight I actually laughed multiple times.

Spirited Secret: I have never downloaded music. Never. I still buy physical CDs. Can you imagine that?

DL fans shouldn't be that upset about the Skyway station going away. I may have been in it about 6-7 years ago and if I were then it needed to be taken down back then!

Speaking of Anaheim, amazing that they can have BTMRR down right through the holidays and everything will be just fine. Can you imagine if MK's version was down this long? And then it was prolonged into the Christmas holiday period? Yeah, nightmare city. But again, it's all about capacity. So all you defenders of mediocrity and Pixie Dust addicts can GO RIDE YOUR MAGIC BANDS!

I think it's terrible that DL is losing the Billies ... at the same point it speaks volumes that they have had them for almost 20 years and are just losing them now.
Please tell me you're not a fan of the Lawrence Whelk/Kristin Wiig character.

Goofyernmost

Good update, and without a doubt this thread should be closed whenever you go off. We don't need another 530 page thread with people arguing about off topic issues back and forth.
OK, so I went back to the first post on this thread and it was all about the hyperbole of the Marvel/Gambling obsessions of Mr. Spirit. Since then this thread has gone every direction possible. Even in his own post asking us to not stray to far away from topic or ask for it to be closed, consists of the following: Frozen (and it's ratings), Boarding the Way Back Machine to 2006 to report on what was being discussed back then, Shanghai and air pollution, Orlando Lifestylers weekend in Anaheim, French Walmarts, DLP, people Tweet 27 hours a day, Auburn-FSU, SNL hasn't been very good this season, Spirited Secret: I have never downloaded music, about the Skyway station going away, Anaheim, amazing that they can have BTMRR down right through the holidays and it's terrible that DL is losing the Billies.

Then in the middle of all that have the audacity to say to us... "Just a warning to those who may miss me, but I shall only be around for a couple more days. After that, you are on your own. Please, if this thread starts heading down the toilet, then ask the mods to shutter it."

So tell me what exactly the hell is the topic of this thread and I will personally see to it that whomever strays will be soundly beaten and forced to carry a sign of shame down the middle of Main Street USA, that reads, "I have blatantly overlooked Spirited Demands and have had a thought of my own".

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But that would mean they would have to pay extra employees to wash the dishes. With paper and plastic the customer picks up the tab in the price they are paying for the food. So more profit for Disney using paper and plastic!!

This is EXACTLY the reason most US outlets use disposable dinnerware, I usually eat lunch at one of the local Chinese or Indian restaurants precisely because the cost is about the SAME as fast food and they use real plates and silverware with the not insignificant advantage of supporting a LOCAL business instead of a megachain.

Selection criteria for restaurants requires that If Chinese a lot of Chinese people eat there same for Indian restaurants - That way you know the food is authentic!

Last edited:

PeterAlt

You seriously need to see Blackfish. It's on On Demand pay service now. The film was not made to destroy them. The film maker had no agenda/ no opinion on the matter going into it. Everything you see is exactly what the film maker learned, as the film maker learned it going into it. You're entitled to an opinion, but please reserve it until you see it.

PeterAlt

OK, so I went back to the first post on this thread and it was all about the hyperbole of the Marvel/Gambling obsessions of Mr. Spirit. Since then this thread has gone every direction possible. Even in his own post asking us to not stray to far away from topic or ask for it to be closed, consists of the following: Frozen (and it's ratings), Boarding the Way Back Machine to 2006 to report on what was being discussed back then, Shanghai and air pollution, Orlando Lifestylers weekend in Anaheim, French Walmarts, DLP, people Tweet 27 hours a day, Auburn-FSU, SNL hasn't been very good this season, Spirited Secret: I have never downloaded music, about the Skyway station going away, Anaheim, amazing that they can have BTMRR down right through the holidays and it's terrible that DL is losing the Billies.

Then in the middle of all that have the audacity to say to us... "Just a warning to those who may miss me, but I shall only be around for a couple more days. After that, you are on your own. Please, if this thread starts heading down the toilet, then ask the mods to shutter it."

So tell me what exactly the hell is the topic of this thread and I will personally see to it that whomever strays will be soundly beaten and forced to carry a sign of shame down the middle of Main Street USA, that reads, "I have blatantly overlooked Spirited Demands and have had a thought of my own".
Let it be.

PeterAlt

Good update, and without a doubt this thread should be closed whenever you go off. We don't need another 530 page thread with people arguing about off topic issues back and forth.
But there's no where else (no single consolidate thread) to do that. This is good. Let it be.

PeterAlt

I'm sold.
One thing you forgot to mention - Walt walked here. Walt dined here. Walt played here. Walt. Was. Here.

Born in 1967, I never actually shared this planet with Uncle Walt, yet thanks to Sunday nights on ABC, he was as near and dear to me as my real Uncle Walt.

I'd say DL is on my bucket list, but I have no intention of waiting that long. 2014 or bust!
Since 2005, I've been to DLR more often than WDW and I live in Florida. I just enjoy DLR better.

Figments Friend

Wanted to add to the DLR is not WDW discussion. They may have a one Disney approach but in actuality the 2 resorts are run drastically different.

It is much less stressful vacation than WDW. There is very little planning involved Reservations are rarely is ever needed and DLR has great counter service options with a lot of variety to fit the diversity of So Cal. The locals and AP’s have been there and done that and are in no hurry to hit every attraction. This adds a very laid back feeling most of the time at DLR despite the lack of space that produces log jams on busy nights.

Agree completely...and i am glad you added to the discussion.
Something i had missed to comment on myself, but this is absolutely a big plus at DLR - the 'laid back' atmosphere.

It is wonderful to be able to just walk into the Park and do whatever you want without 'reserving' meals or ( in WDW's soon-to-be case ) attractions.
This is a huge plus for those wanting a real 'vacation' instead of a exercise in military stragety, commando style 'forced touring'.

The vibe is different, due to the different audience.
I attended the Villians Event at DL back in September and although it was said over 50,000 people passed through the gates that night and the Park was packed, the vibe of the crowd was like a happy gathering. It was like a pleasant New Years Eve event in a way....with a happy crowd that knew how to behave and be patient.
At WDW it would have been the complete opposite,...and when i returned home i heard about the mayhem DHS experienced when hosting the East Coast version of the Villians Event.

Contrast and compare.

DLR rocks.

:)

Last edited:

Figments Friend

I'm sold.
One thing you forgot to mention - Walt walked here. Walt dined here. Walt played here. Walt. Was. Here.

Born in 1967, I never actually shared this planet with Uncle Walt, yet thanks to Sunday nights on ABC, he was as near and dear to me as my real Uncle Walt.

I'd say DL is on my bucket list, but I have no intention of waiting that long. 2014 or bust!

DO IT!

You will be glad you visited Disneyland.

:)

Figments Friend

WDW always touts their blessing of size when compared to DLR. In its current state it looks like a curse to me. WDW has so many dead areas and empty buildings. The last time I visited WDW I noticed a complete lack of kinetic energy, good live entertainment options, and lack of variety in counter service dining. DLR is far from perfect but for anyone fed up with a stale WDW but still want to experience a Disney park without having to leave the country, DLR is a great option. If you don’t like it you are still smack dab in the middle of Southern California and all it has to offer.

Completely agree with this sentiment as well.
For some years now i have felt that WDW has expanded too much, and spread itself thin in some areas.
Glad to see i am not the only one who has that opinion.
The focus is all over the place, which tends to leave some areas sparse in some respects.

This is why i do not get overly excited about all the fan community talk about a '5th gate'.
WDW needs to concentrate on what they currently have, and should be currently offering, and bring it back to the high standard of quality before running off and opening yet another property.
We have seen too much of this already and it has been stretching the Property as a whole in itself to a breaking point.
All kinds of upkeep issues become evident, the focus is misdirected in other directions ( DVC, for example..), and the overall package has become slightly diluted.

Bringing this back to DL, one could say this is why this Park is so rich and full of so much.
The focus is more concentrated on what should matter - Park experiences, attractions, entertainment, etc. because of that properties unique location situation.
You see a higher level of execution because of space constraints.
There is not as much of the perceived 'fodder' tacked on just to make a quick buck which is running rampant within the gated Parks at WDW.
I see this creeping into DL though slowly ....but it is rare once inside the turnstiiles.
I mostly see it in the DTD area outside the gates...which is to be expected because of what DTD is, but once in the Park it is pretty much bliss.
The intensity of the atmosphere, and the high concentration of the 'good things' for a Park enthusiast is great.
Sure there are some areas for improvement....but that is true of any property.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom