Magic Kingdom Bus Loop expansion

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Ok, yup. I'll give you all that for sure. I know a lot of people prefer driving while at WDW, but not me. I hate trying to navigate their road system. We had a car last May and drove the first few days. That was enough for me - back to the bus. It never fails that I end up headed the wrong direction because I didn't interpret a vague purple sign properly. Or I'd be in the far right lane, in a mass of cars, and discover I need to turn left.

When there's an accident, everything comes to a halt.
Along with the buses!

amazingwdw

Ok, yup. I'll give you all that for sure. I know a lot of people prefer driving while at WDW, but not me. I hate trying to navigate their road system. We had a car last May and drove the first few days. That was enough for me - back to the bus. It never fails that I end up headed the wrong direction because I didn't interpret a vague purple sign properly. Or I'd be in the far right lane, in a mass of cars, and discover I need to turn left.

This is a complete property map that should help you next time :) :

http://customizedmaps.disney.go.com/pdf/wdwpropertymap.pdf

And here is a complete transportation map:

http://www.wdwparkhoppers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/wdw-transport-map-full.png

mrerk

Premium Member

It's not bad once you learn your way around. The purple signs don't always bring you the quickest way. I can get around faster in my rental in most instances.

ToTBellHop

Gosh....the view from the Contemporary just keeps getting better and better!
This had minimal effect on my view last month.
1176352_715923117449_283866018_n.jpg

ToTBellHop

This view is still great....but you used to be able to see only beach and actual trees to the left. The transportation to the MK was limited to boats and monorail. Over the years, that area has all but disappeared to the ever expanding bus depot.
I suppose, but you aren't paying $500/night for a view of sand. It's the view of the Castle, the mountains, and the fireworks that people are paying for. Losing some grass and a little whisp of white sand is less than nothing IMHO. The Contemporary has its own white sand beach that you can actually sink your toes into.

hpyhnt 1000

wdwmagic said:

Yeesh. While I understand the reasons behind the expanded use of buses (lower short term cost, greater flexibility, established WDW system, etc.) its still an awful spectacle to see MK's entrance essentially turned into a gigantic bus terminal.

At best, this probably buys WDW about 10 years worth of time before the current bus paradigm is maxed out. Shame to ruin so many sight lines for what is just a band aid solution.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Yeesh. While I understand the reasons behind the expanded use of buses (lower short term cost, greater flexibility, established WDW system, etc.) its still an awful spectacle to see MK's entrance essentially turned into a gigantic bus terminal.

At best, this probably buys WDW about 10 years worth of time before the current bus paradigm is maxed out. Shame to ruin so many sight lines for what is still a band aid solution.
I'm sure they are working hard on teleportation.

Otherwise, there's always Floo powder.

hpyhnt 1000

I'm sure they are working hard on teleportation.

Otherwise, there's always Floo powder.

Well, WDW could have "seized" the future but they chose not to...

stacks_image_879_1.png

Joking aside, something will need to be done about transportation in WDW. Should Avatarland and the rumored Star Wars Land prove to be even a fraction of the success of Potter or Carsland, and if the Magic Bands actually make more people stay on property, WDW's transportation infrastructure is going to have to be able to move significantly more people by the end of this decade. And right now, the capacity just isn't there, and even with articulated (bendy) buses the capacity won't be there.

I'm not saying we need to expand the monorail (though it is an option); what I am saying is the paradigm of Disney buses operating on an A to B/point to point route system, especially as its currently structured, is not sustainable. The system is already bursting at the seams and it stands to only get worse.

Last edited:

harryk

Soooo, while you anticipate a 10 year run before the whole system needs revision -- this is an opportunity for the imagineers to come up with a futuristic solution to move people between parks and between resorts and any combination of parks and resorts. Hopefully they are not like the government and keep kicking cans down the road.

Rob562

Still closer than the bus stations at EPCOT, though.

You are correct, though AK's newly-extended stops are now the farthest from the gate.

Here's the breakdown using Gmaps Pedometer (I had to make an educated guess on the MK since the new stops aren't on the map yet) of the distance from park entrance gate to the farthest Disney bus stop. (I ignored off-site bus parking)

Studios: 0.1826 miles
Magic Kingdom: 0.2356 miles
Epcot: 0.2674 miles
Animal Kingdom: 0.2712

Of course the actual difference between MK and AK is about 190 feet, with Epcot in-between...

-Rob

Bairstow

You are correct, though AK's newly-extended stops are now the farthest from the gate.

Here's the breakdown using Gmaps Pedometer (I had to make an educated guess on the MK since the new stops aren't on the map yet) of the distance from park entrance gate to the farthest Disney bus stop. (I ignored off-site bus parking)

Studios: 0.1826 miles
Magic Kingdom: 0.2356 miles
Epcot: 0.2674 miles
Animal Kingdom: 0.2712

Of course the actual difference between MK and AK is about 190 feet, with Epcot in-between...

-Rob

That surprises me.
I guess the stations at EPCOT always felt farther away because you can't see what you're walking towards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom