Trip Report I'll stop the World and Melt with you.

_DSC4851-X3.jpg

It's been two years since my family and I visited WDW. Two long years. Thankfully, my son Sterg and I got a three day Disney fix last summer at Disneyland.

Curiously, this trip report is being written at a time when a lot of negative Disney vibe is emanating from other regions of WDWMagic - as it was two years ago. The Doom & Gloom is running free and wild. I'm just thankful I stayed clear of most of it before our trip because I may have cancelled what turned out to be an amazing time. It is also fortunate that we got this trip in because from the sound of things there may not be a WDW to go to in a few years.

To be truthful, some things that Disney has done has me scratching my head; but this is neither the time nor place to discuss it. Putting that aside - let's get on with the trip report!

We left on Sunday July 21st. Maybe the longest day of my life. The night before, my oldest daughter Alex went to see Taylor Swift in Philadelphia ( about 50 miles away ) and due to a long rain delay she didn't make it home until 2 am. This meant that she would not go to sleep since we were being picked up at 3 am for the drive to Philly airport for our 6 am flight. At least we were supposed to be picked up at 3am.

Here is my Mom ( Yia-Yia )and my youngest daughter Antonia ( Toni ) up and ready at 3 in the morning waiting for our ride. Yia-Yia ( grandmother in Greek ) is 77 years old and joining us for the first time on a Disney adventure. Toni is now almost 12 and the little Yorki-poo in the front is Prince. Prince is short for Prince Charming ( named by Toni ).

_DSC4415%20-%20Copy-X3.jpg

When the driver didn't show up by 3:15 I started to worry. I called the limo company at the same time he called me to tell me he was lost. I reeled him in and we were on our way by 3:30. The drive down was nerve wracking as I kept watching the clock and praying for no delays. That is until our driver eased my tension by telling us his son works for Disney and he goes down to the World 4 or 5 times a year. The resulting Disney conversation lasted until we hit the airport around 4:30.

More tension as we went through security. My carry on was stopped in the machine and I was pulled aside. I had put a container of Vitamin C powder in my bag that garnered some attention. Of course, my Mom came over as I was being held and my bag inspected.

"Why didn't you put that in your suitcase, Christo?" she said to me in her Greek accented voice.

"Mom, please go wait over there" I responded.

"No, I want to see what they are doing" Then she followed with this one for the TSA officer.

"It's not drugs, my son doesn't do cocaine!"

OK, I thought. I'm definitely going to be held in some prison cell for the next week.

After the chemical test proved my Mother correct, I was allowed to go on my way. We had time to grab coffee and some food and make it on the Southwest plane to Orlando. A plane full of smiling happy faces! Including these;

This is my wife Val ( not the biggest of Disney fans ), with Yia-Yia in the middle and Alex by the window.

_DSC4425-X2.jpg

On the other side was yours truly sporting a Hawaiian shirt ( since we were staying at the Poly ), Toni and Sterg.

_DSC4426-L.jpg

Before we knew it we were up in the clouds...

_DSC4417-X3.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Yia-Yia wanted nothing to do with Splash Mountain. Val passed as well to do some shopping.

It was a hot day to be in a stand by line.

_DSC6913-XL.jpg

_DSC6914-XL.jpg

I really need to make a point to ride the train on our next trip.

_DSC6916-XL.jpg

Last chance to exit!

_DSC6919-XL.jpg

We had some drama in line. Toni wanted to sit with Alex but Alex and Sterg already agree to sit together. Toni was looking for me to force Alex to sit with her, but I was staying out of it.

Toni was not too happy at first.

_DSC6925-XL.jpg

but it didn't last long.

_DSC6924-XL.jpg

_DSC6930-XL.jpg

_DSC6931-XL.jpg

_DSC6933-XL.jpg

_DSC6927-XL.jpg

_DSC6928-XL.jpg

_DSC6943-XL.jpg

_DSC6950-X2.jpg

Until next time, Splash Mountain.

_DSC6955-XL.jpg

epcotisbest

Good Splash pics. The photo of the line just blows my mind. Our early Sept. trip, as mentioned in my trip report, had no lines and Spash was walk on, no lines, no stopping, just straight to our seats on the ride. Wow are we spoiled by no lines or what? The truth is though, if we had been blessed with children, lines would be a non issue, as we would be counting our blessings while in line. So lines with family is a blessing. Now I am a little concerned about two in your party skipping Splash for shopping.

jlsHouston

OMG! I started your TR because your family was at the POLY about the same time we were in July/Aug, although we started at BWI for 8 days then last 5 days at POLY...Now I am up to page 25 and it's like 2 hours later, I have gotten absolutely NOTHING done today!!! Had I know idea I would stay so ABSORBED!
Your family is beautiful and hilarious, the photography out of this world and the account of your adventures totally engaging!
I'm sure if I were on my desktop instead of this little notebook, the reading would go a little faster, the notebook takes it time to display the pics but they are totally worth NOT missing.
So ready for our next visit and I have actually written some notes of things to look for that I had never noticed based on your photos!

disneygirl1

Cris, so funny every trip to Disney I say we are riding the WDW Railroad at Mk and never do!!! 16 trips later we still havent! :( This May I swear I am making the time to ride it!

HouCuseChickie

I'm so sad your trip report is winding down. Between the amazing pics, everything with the kids, and Yia-Yia... wow, just awesome! I actually had a dream the other night that we all went out for Greek food together...Yia-Yia was the star of the show and Sterg was cracking up all of the kids :) Hey, it's much better than accident related dreams. Still can't wait to read what's left to come!

fractal

Original Poster
Splash Mountain Ride picture. The lady in the last row looks terrified. :D

49774440169-X2.jpg

Oh, and before I forget, I promised Sterg i would put this in the report. It is his compilation of him and the 4 "icons" of the parks that he took. Not sure what's up with the MK face, but the kid is creative.

IMG_0963-XL.jpg

As we were leaving Splash, this older couple caught me eye. Frankly they looked a bit funny in their wrinkled outfits, a bit disoriented while battling the heat, but clearly in love and enjoying time together at the Magic Kingdom.

_DSC6874-XL.jpg

Well, it was finally time to say goodbye and we did so as we walked out of the park.

_DSC6962-X2.jpg

Making that sad right turn.

_DSC6963-XL.jpg

I was wondering how many of these people were just beginning their stay at WDW, entering Mk on day one.

_DSC6964-X2.jpg

Half way down MainStreet we came across the Main Street Marching Band. Toni and Yia-Yia kept walking but I stopped. I love a good marching band and this was a great excuse for me to soak in a few more minutes before I exited MK. I videoed the last 10-20 seconds.

Suddenly it didn't seem too hot anymore, the day was beautiful. I was ready to turn around, jump on Pirates, a ride on Big Thunder, watch the Castle show and fireworks. I didn't want the music to end but I had no more rational excuse to stay - we needed to get back to the Poly and complete our checkout. Maybe I can call and see if we could stay another night; move the flight to tomorrow; heck, why not stay another week at a different resort? All those thoughts crossed my mind during the few seconds after the band stopped playing. If only I had the resources and freedom to do that, I thought. Well, we all need goals in life. :D

One last picture of City Hall;

_DSC6968-XL.jpg

and with that we were gone and on the boat back to the Poly.

_DSC6969-XL.jpg

_DSC6971-X2.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
The late checkout allowed us all to take quick showers and change. It was a bit hectic but we checked out with a few minutes (seconds?) to spare.

Mirror shot with the WOD shirt I bought. Man, is that shirt comfy. I now think I know were Sterg gets those goofy faces in his selfies. o_O

_DSC6972-XL.jpg

We still had some time to kill before the ME bus arrived. It was at that point I realized we had a few snack credits left and I also realized I hadn't had a Dole Whip on this trip. All of that was quickly taking care of.

_DSC6973-XL.jpg

Waiting it out.

_DSC6975-XL.jpg

_DSC6979-XL.jpg

_DSC6980-XL.jpg

While sitting in the lobby we met a wonderful lady who was there with her husband and grandson. She was an ex-golf pro during the early years of the LPGA and told us she finished 12th in the 1967 Womens US OPEN ( which was held at a course near our home ). She then told us there were 12 ladies that played in that Open, which was pretty funny. :D Her husband and grandson were in the pool at the time and she went on to tell Val how much they love coming to WDW several times a year. It wasn't long before Val said, she likes coming here but also likes going other places. She is right of course, we will come back to WDW but we will also go to other spots ( as we've done in the past ). Next summer we may take Yia-Yia with us for a trip to Greece. I would really give my camera a workout there.

Toni wanted to do one last photo shoot. I couldn't get the other two to join us.

_DSC6984-XL.jpg

_DSC6986-XL.jpg

_DSC6988-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
It was finally time to make our way outside. Goodbye Poly.

_DSC7016-X2.jpg

_DSC7017-XL.jpg

Here comes Yia-Yia. It didn't seem like she wanted to leave.

_DSC7019-XL.jpg

_DSC7021-XL.jpg

All piled up.

_DSC7022-XL.jpg

The dreaded...well you know.

_DSC7023-XL.jpg

More Sterg selfies.

_DSC7026-XL.jpg

I do remember telling him "If you drop the camera I will kill you!" Val wasn't into getting her picture taken, but Sterg snuck her in...
_DSC7027-XL.jpg

Me and Alex - not sure what's going on with my "guido" look.

_DSC7030-XL.jpg

Next it was Toni's turn with the camera. She couldn't let Sterg have all the fun.

_DSC7033-XL.jpg

_DSC7037-XL.jpg

On the bus and on our way...

_DSC7039-XL.jpg

_DSC7040-XL.jpg

New Fantasyland! Sounds great, let's go!

_DSC7041-XL.jpg

Yia-Yia found a spot to charge so she could play Angry Birds on the plane.

_DSC7056-XL.jpg

Our flight was delayed because of T-storms so we grabbed lunch as Johnny Rivers. The funny thing was, for most of the meal we thought we were eating at Johnny Rockets. :confused:

_DSC7043-XL.jpg

Yia-Yia ordered a beer then asked for another glass so she could share it with 19 year old Alex. When the waitress asked Alex for ID, Yia-Yia said "it's ok, she's my granddaughter" When told that it was against the law Yia-Yia wasn't too happy, but the rest of us found the conversation very amusing. :D

_DSC7044-XL.jpg

_DSC7045-XL.jpg

The sun started to peak out - looks like we were going home after all. This seemed like a good omen.

_DSC7059-XL.jpg

And that my friends is my report. Thank you all for following along and all you comments. Writing this report is very much part of my Disney vacation experience and I've enjoyed putting it together.

Until next time, as the Greeks say "Sto Kalo"!

_DSC7054-XL.jpg

Up next...some parting thoughts.

Last edited:

Billy6

Splash Mountain Ride picture. The lady in the last row looks terrified. :D

49774440169-X2.jpg

Oh, and before I forget, I promised Sterg i would put this in the report. It is his compilation of him and the 4 "icons" of the parks that he took. Not sure what's up with the MK face, but the kid is creative.

IMG_0963-XL.jpg

As we were leaving Splash, this older couple caught me eye. Frankly they looked a bit funny in their wrinkled outfits, a bit disoriented while battling the heat, but clearly in love and enjoying time together at the Magic Kingdom.

_DSC6874-XL.jpg

Well, it was finally time to say goodbye and we did so as we walked out of the park.

_DSC6962-X2.jpg

Making that sad right turn.

_DSC6963-XL.jpg

I was wondering how many of these people were just beginning their stay at WDW, entering Mk on day one.

_DSC6964-X2.jpg

Half way down MainStreet we came across the Main Street Marching Band. Toni and Yia-Yia kept walking but I stopped. I love a good marching band and this was a great excuse for me to soak in a few more minutes before I exited MK. I videoed the last 10-20 seconds.

Suddenly it didn't seem too hot anymore, the day was beautiful. I was ready to turn around, jump on Pirates, a ride on Big Thunder, watch the Castle show and fireworks. I didn't want the music to end but I had no more rational excuse to stay - we needed to get back to the Poly and complete our checkout. Maybe I can call and see if we could stay another night; move the flight to tomorrow; heck, why not stay another week at a different resort? All those thoughts crossed my mind during the few seconds after the band stopped playing. If only I had the resources and freedom to do that, I thought. Well, we all need goals in life. :D

One last picture of City Hall;

_DSC6968-XL.jpg

and with that we were gone and on the boat back to the Poly.

_DSC6969-XL.jpg

_DSC6971-X2.jpg
Love the contrast between the lady behind you and Toni and her daugher! She's petrified and the little girl is loving it!

Laurenciaa

Wow.. This TR was just FAN-TAS-TIC !I'm secretly hoping you and your lovely family won't wait another 2 years to go on another WDW trip :D ! This was a very lovely TR. Thank you very much !

sweetpee_1993

Ack! Chris! What an ending!!! I love that the kdis played with the camera and you took pics all the way to the bitter end.

The WoD shirt is cool. I don't care what anyone says. Check out eBay for the highly-collectible Reyn Spooner's. The Pixar ones are my fav's. I used to have a small collection of Reyn Spooner Margaritaville shirts. Sold 'em several years ago for a niiiiiice profit. What can I say? I'm a collector. ;)

Yia-Yia is awesome. The laws where y'all live must be similar to Texas where underage kids can't be served but parents can give their kids a drink in public. When we got married I was still underage and I remember being impressed when we came to Texas I could drink in restaurants if Tracey bought and handed me the drinks. :p

You did a fantastic job with your trip report beginning to end. Told an amazing tale. Ups, downs, twists, turns, it was all fun all the way through. Thanks so much for the fantastic adventure. And thanks a billion times over for the help with camera and LR. Best bunch of advice I ever got!

Give my bestest to Val and fam! Ready to see y'all rockin' the Disney ship in the nearer than later future!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom