Trip Report I'll stop the World and Melt with you.

_DSC4851-X3.jpg

It's been two years since my family and I visited WDW. Two long years. Thankfully, my son Sterg and I got a three day Disney fix last summer at Disneyland.

Curiously, this trip report is being written at a time when a lot of negative Disney vibe is emanating from other regions of WDWMagic - as it was two years ago. The Doom & Gloom is running free and wild. I'm just thankful I stayed clear of most of it before our trip because I may have cancelled what turned out to be an amazing time. It is also fortunate that we got this trip in because from the sound of things there may not be a WDW to go to in a few years.

To be truthful, some things that Disney has done has me scratching my head; but this is neither the time nor place to discuss it. Putting that aside - let's get on with the trip report!

We left on Sunday July 21st. Maybe the longest day of my life. The night before, my oldest daughter Alex went to see Taylor Swift in Philadelphia ( about 50 miles away ) and due to a long rain delay she didn't make it home until 2 am. This meant that she would not go to sleep since we were being picked up at 3 am for the drive to Philly airport for our 6 am flight. At least we were supposed to be picked up at 3am.

Here is my Mom ( Yia-Yia )and my youngest daughter Antonia ( Toni ) up and ready at 3 in the morning waiting for our ride. Yia-Yia ( grandmother in Greek ) is 77 years old and joining us for the first time on a Disney adventure. Toni is now almost 12 and the little Yorki-poo in the front is Prince. Prince is short for Prince Charming ( named by Toni ).

_DSC4415%20-%20Copy-X3.jpg

When the driver didn't show up by 3:15 I started to worry. I called the limo company at the same time he called me to tell me he was lost. I reeled him in and we were on our way by 3:30. The drive down was nerve wracking as I kept watching the clock and praying for no delays. That is until our driver eased my tension by telling us his son works for Disney and he goes down to the World 4 or 5 times a year. The resulting Disney conversation lasted until we hit the airport around 4:30.

More tension as we went through security. My carry on was stopped in the machine and I was pulled aside. I had put a container of Vitamin C powder in my bag that garnered some attention. Of course, my Mom came over as I was being held and my bag inspected.

"Why didn't you put that in your suitcase, Christo?" she said to me in her Greek accented voice.

"Mom, please go wait over there" I responded.

"No, I want to see what they are doing" Then she followed with this one for the TSA officer.

"It's not drugs, my son doesn't do cocaine!"

OK, I thought. I'm definitely going to be held in some prison cell for the next week.

After the chemical test proved my Mother correct, I was allowed to go on my way. We had time to grab coffee and some food and make it on the Southwest plane to Orlando. A plane full of smiling happy faces! Including these;

This is my wife Val ( not the biggest of Disney fans ), with Yia-Yia in the middle and Alex by the window.

_DSC4425-X2.jpg

On the other side was yours truly sporting a Hawaiian shirt ( since we were staying at the Poly ), Toni and Sterg.

_DSC4426-L.jpg

Before we knew it we were up in the clouds...

_DSC4417-X3.jpg

Last edited:

PartOfYourWorld

Thanks Jess! I'll be waiting for you comparison between Poly and BC. In the meantime; I'm enjoying your "Girls cruise" trip report.

When will we go back? We've been on an every other year schedule so as it stands Summer 2015 is our next trip. I would love to go during the Holidays but I know that won't happen this year.

Glad your enjoying mine so far! Thanks for reading it!

Awww well at least that's something to look forward tooo!!! That would be really cool if you could pull something off for the holidays one year!

Joe B

Thanks Jess! I'll be waiting for you comparison between Poly and BC. In the meantime; I'm enjoying your "Girls cruise" trip report.

When will we go back? We've been on an every other year schedule so as it stands Summer 2015 is our next trip. I would love to go during the Holidays but I know that won't happen this year.

Hi Fractal and family! This is my first post - been doing a lot of lurking. Must say this is the best TR ever - even shared it with a Disney fan coworker who agreed it was her favorite too. Your pictures made me feel like I was there and want to say thank you very much! I may have to bribe my DW with an alternate trip in the meantime since she's not as big a fan, but hoping to be back in early 2015. Thanks again! You are a great photographer and storyteller as well!

fractal

Original Poster
Glad your enjoying mine so far! Thanks for reading it!

Awww well at least that's something to look forward tooo!!! That would be really cool if you could pull something off for the holidays one year!

For now we'll have to settle for the Hersheypark Christmas overlay. :)

Hi Fractal and family! This is my first post - been doing a lot of lurking. Must say this is the best TR ever - even shared it with a Disney fan coworker who agreed it was her favorite too. Your pictures made me feel like I was there and want to say thank you very much! I may have to bribe my DW with an alternate trip in the meantime since she's not as big a fan, but hoping to be back in early 2015. Thanks again! You are a great photographer and storyteller as well!

Thanks @Joe B ! I'm glad you and your coworker enjoyed it - I hope you get back and write up a TR! I appreciate the comments :)

gwhb75

Great trip report. Your last day sounds almost identical to our last day in terms of how you feel. It's tough knowing it's the last time you'll be seeing all the great things at Disney. I also look at people coming in on that last day and wonder if they are just at the start of their trip, and remember back to that first day of our trip (I also feel bad for the people waiting at the ME stop when we arrive, knowing that they are on their way home, while being very aware that we'll be in that same position in a few days).

fractal

Original Poster
Great trip report. Your last day sounds almost identical to our last day in terms of how you feel. It's tough knowing it's the last time you'll be seeing all the great things at Disney. I also look at people coming in on that last day and wonder if they are just at the start of their trip, and remember back to that first day of our trip (I also feel bad for the people waiting at the ME stop when we arrive, knowing that they are on their way home, while being very aware that we'll be in that same position in a few days).

Thanks @gwhb75 . Yeah, that last day is tough.

Thanks for reading!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Well, I finally finished. Now I can go back to work and not worry about getting fired. I love Kouzinna's as well and now I can say, "This place gets a thumbs up from actual Greeks!" I, too, love the TL wave pool. There was one thing I disagreed with you on, but it was early in the report and I've been reading this thing on and off for weeks and I don't remember what it was, so for the moment we'll say that our tastes are 100% similar.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
BTW, you really make a reader feel like they are on vacation with your family. Very well done. I know this took a lot of work.

fractal

Original Poster
Well, I finally finished. Now I can go back to work and not worry about getting fired. I love Kouzinna's as well and now I can say, "This place gets a thumbs up from actual Greeks!" I, too, love the TL wave pool. There was one thing I disagreed with you on, but it was early in the report and I've been reading this thing on and off for weeks and I don't remember what it was, so for the moment we'll say that our tastes are 100% similar.
BTW, you really make a reader feel like they are on vacation with your family. Very well done. I know this took a lot of work.

Thanks George, glad I didn't send you to the unemployment line! :D Let me know if you remember what you disagreed with me about - would love to hear it. Thanks again - it was a labor of love. :)

fractal

Original Poster
"Lost" trip pictures.

As I was going through my SD card from our trip, I found some photos that for one reason or another I never posted. I thought I would share a few; this is my favorite of the bunch...

_DSC4604-2-X2.jpg

Lyear

So this is very delayed, but I absolutely loved your trip report. I read through it before our recent trip in November, and it was definitely what the doctor ordered for getting through the final weeks of anticipation. Your pics are amazing.

fractal

Original Poster
So this is very delayed, but I absolutely loved your trip report. I read through it before our recent trip in November, and it was definitely what the doctor ordered for getting through the final weeks of anticipation. Your pics are amazing.

Thanks Lyear! I hope you had a great trip.

PolynesianPrincess

Wanted to tell ya that yesterday on my way home from dropping Brian at driving school Modern English/I'll Stop the World & Melt With You came on the satellite radio...I think 80s on 8. First thing that popped in my head? You & your family! LOL! For the rest of my life I'll happily sing along with somewhat random thoughts of a very cool family traversing WDW in the dead of summer dancing along in my brain.... Ha!

Same here Kelly! Every time I hear that song, I think of Chris and his family!! lol funny how certain things always make you think of different events or people.

OK, so, finally all caught up! Sounds like you all had a wonderful time! Glad Val has finally come around and admitted her liking of WDW! :)

We are venturing over to your favorite resort area in February. One night at the Boardwalk Villas! It was a toss up between that or BCV, but seeing as how we have been inside BC before and have never set foot even on the Boardwalk before, we decide to check out BWV! We will have breakfast over at BC at Cape May Cafe before we head off for the cruise though.

Thanks for sharing! I love reading your reports. It always feels like I'm really there with you and the gang. Your photos are AMAZING!! Keep up the good work!! :)

fractal

Original Poster
Same here Kelly! Every time I hear that song, I think of Chris and his family!! lol funny how certain things always make you think of different events or people.

OK, so, finally all caught up! Sounds like you all had a wonderful time! Glad Val has finally come around and admitted her liking of WDW! :)

We are venturing over to your favorite resort area in February. One night at the Boardwalk Villas! It was a toss up between that or BCV, but seeing as how we have been inside BC before and have never set foot even on the Boardwalk before, we decide to check out BWV! We will have breakfast over at BC at Cape May Cafe before we head off for the cruise though.

Thanks for sharing! I love reading your reports. It always feels like I'm really there with you and the gang. Your photos are AMAZING!! Keep up the good work!! :)

Thanks Darolyn! I think I would like the Boardwalk - have a great time there and on your cruise. Thanks for reading and commenting - looking forward to the rest of your trip reports. :D

Great report, you had me there with you.

Thanks much and thanks for reading along!

case88

Thanks for the great trip report! I've been lurking in other dark (spirited) corners of the forum, but since my wife convinced me to book a trip for early April this year, I needed something to get me away from the doom and gloom and your TR was exactly what was needed! I've ready all your trip reports, but I've enjoyed this one the most. Great pictures! I hope my kids (sons age 6 & 2) are still up for WDW trips when they are teens.

fractal

Original Poster
Thanks for the great trip report! I've been lurking in other dark (spirited) corners of the forum, but since my wife convinced me to book a trip for early April this year, I needed something to get me away from the doom and gloom and your TR was exactly what was needed! I've ready all your trip reports, but I've enjoyed this one the most. Great pictures! I hope my kids (sons age 6 & 2) are still up for WDW trips when they are teens.

Thanks case88! You can only take so much doom and gloom. One of my New Years resolutions is to be less cynical in 2014. I hope you have a great trip in April; we'll be looking for your TR. :D

Teens are a funny group - one can never tell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom