Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Adventurer
What you said...
Yes, that was my first reaction too when reading that.

No, in fact, my first reaction was that the EJB specification defines a set of lightweight APIs that an object container (the EJB container) will support in order to provide transactions (using JTA), remote procedure calls (using RMI or RMI-IIOP), concurrency control, dependency injection and acces control for business objects. This package contains the Enterprise JavaBeans classes and interfaces that define the contracts between the enterprise bean and its clients and between the enterprise bean and the ejb container.
What I saw...
ومن شأن هذه الاختلافات تشير إلى أن الياباني قديم كان نظام ثمانية حرف علة وعلى النقيض من خمسة أحرف العلة في وقت لاحق من اليابانية. ومن شأن هذا النظام حرف علة يجب أن تقلصت بعض الوقت بين هذه النصوص واختراع قاناهيراغانا وكاتاكانا في القرن ي وقت مبكر. ووفقا لهذا الرأي، فإن نظام ثمانية حرف العلة من اليابانية القديمة تشبه أن من عائلات لغوية الأورالية والألطية. ومع ذلك، فإنه ليس من المؤكد تماما أن التناوب بين المقاطع تعكس بالضرورة اختلاف في حروف العلة بدلا من الحروف الساكنة - في لحظة، حقيقة لا جدال فيه فقط هو أنها المقاطع المختلفة.
:jawdrop:

Goofyernmost

If the parks are indeed the biggest profit driver why are they the most neglected of all the divisions of Disney?? All of the parks need consistent investments for new rides and frequent maintenance to keep everything running perfect. Oriental Land Company's standards should be the standard for Disney as well. It is a great shame to the legacy of Walt Disney and an insult to guests the way the Disney owned parks are operated.
Because the more money they spend in the parks the smaller the return (they think) and since this is the cash cow for Disney, they don't want to disturb anything. They need the money to run the rest of the company, apparently!

Goofyernmost

Yes, that was my first reaction too when reading that.

No, in fact, my first reaction was that the EJB specification defines a set of lightweight APIs that an object container (the EJB container) will support in order to provide transactions (using JTA), remote procedure calls (using RMI or RMI-IIOP), concurrency control, dependency injection and acces control for business objects. This package contains the Enterprise JavaBeans classes and interfaces that define the contracts between the enterprise bean and its clients and between the enterprise bean and the ejb container.
What Lee saw...
ومن شأن هذه الاختلافات تشير إلى أن الياباني قديم كان نظام ثمانية حرف علة وعلى النقيض من خمسة أحرف العلة في وقت لاحق من اليابانية. ومن شأن هذا النظام حرف علة يجب أن تقلصت بعض الوقت بين هذه النصوص واختراع قاناهيراغانا وكاتاكانا في القرن ي وقت مبكر. ووفقا لهذا الرأي، فإن نظام ثمانية حرف العلة من اليابانية القديمة تشبه أن من عائلات لغوية الأورالية والألطية. ومع ذلك، فإنه ليس من المؤكد تماما أن التناوب بين المقاطع تعكس بالضرورة اختلاف في حروف العلة بدلا من الحروف الساكنة - في لحظة، حقيقة لا جدال فيه فقط هو أنها المقاطع المختلفة
What I saw...
Duh....:confused::eek::oops:o_O:arghh::banghead::bored::cautious::cyclops::depressed::facepalm::geek::grumpy::in pain::jawdrop:

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Just a quick drop in, although I have been skimming some of this (and some folks say that I go off topic!). A dear friend of mine passed away this weekend after a three year battle with cancer. I don't wish to say any more on said topic other than it probably isn't in my best interest to be posting while very emotional and conflicted.

But I did want to try and get back to some of what I wish to talk about regarding NGE. Hopefully, someone can explain what the following might mean:

... the mandate was for an Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) utilizing Progress, the software provider, for "an SOA platform for all of the Walt Disney Company to leverage" following a reverse engineering of "Oracle 10 databases" with new architecture/novel strategy for complex integrations.

Or, I think that's what this says. Saw material that makes my head hurt worse than it does already. Apparently, SAS 9.3 EBI Architecture (?) and JAVA J2EE (?) are (were?) involved given the many mentions.
No, the Spirit doesn't understand most of what he's been reading on the technical components. This probably means something to @flynnibus and @lilfort or any one of our other well-versed techies. One thing that is clear in the material I've seen - Disney has clients for whatever NGE delivers. The words 'clients' and 'partners' are not used sparingly...they're ALL OVER parts of what I've reviewed.

Yes, there's more to come. But I like having George Kalogridis playing 'just what does (Spirit) know and who the blank is leaking this to him?' It gives me a bit of a bulge, I admit.

Again, sorry for my absence ... really no one is sorrier than I am right now. Thanks @Lee.

Firstly, sorry for your loss... Just went through the same. It is really tough. I have some hope in that field though. If you want to read something interesting in regards to the progress they are currently seeing PM me.

In regards to the above referenced softwares (SAP and Oracle)... Those are commonly used softwares for financial analysis for anyone curious.

HMF

Just a quick drop in, although I have been skimming some of this (and some folks say that I go off topic!). A dear friend of mine passed away this weekend after a three year battle with cancer. I don't wish to say any more on said topic other than it probably isn't in my best interest to be posting while very emotional and conflicted.
Having recently lost a loved one to cancer myself, I offer my sincere condolences. It's a very difficult thing to have to process.

afar28

But I did want to try and get back to some of what I wish to talk about regarding NGE. Hopefully, someone can explain what the following might mean:

... the mandate was for an Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) utilizing Progress, the software provider, for "an SOA platform for all of the Walt Disney Company to leverage" following a reverse engineering of "Oracle 10 databases" with new architecture/novel strategy for complex integrations.

Or, I think that's what this says. Saw material that makes my head hurt worse than it does already. Apparently, SAS 9.3 EBI Architecture (?) and JAVA J2EE (?) are (were?) involved given the many mentions.
No, the Spirit doesn't understand most of what he's been reading on the technical components. This probably means something to @flynnibus and @lilfort or any one of our other well-versed techies. One thing that is clear in the material I've seen - Disney has clients for whatever NGE delivers. The words 'clients' and 'partners' are not used sparingly...they're ALL OVER parts of what I've reviewed.

Yes, there's more to come. But I like having George Kalogridis playing 'just what does (Spirit) know and who the blank is leaking this to him?' It gives me a bit of a bulge, I admit.

Again, sorry for my absence ... really no one is sorrier than I am right now. Thanks @Lee.
Well that post gave me a massive headache, not even knowing what most of it means.
But I'm sorry for your loss. Condolences

manutdfan1

Q3 Financials are out.

All of this according to Jason Garcia....

• Disney fiscal Q3 profit up 1% to $1.8 billion on revenue up 4% to $11.6 billion. Parks were the biggest driver.
  • Disney Parks quarterly operating income up 9% to $689 million on revenue up 7% to $3.7 billion.
  • Guest spending, hotel occupancy and park attendance up at Disney World and Disneyland. MyMagic+ costs still weighing things down somewhat.

Seems like things aren't as bad as the "insiders" wanted us to believe. However, this isn't really a good thing, because a contraction in revenue from the parks is exactly what Disney needs to wake up and start investing in its resorts again.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Well that post gave me a massive headache, not even knowing what most of it means.
But I'm sorry for your loss. Condolences
That post gave me a massive headache from the fact that my team is trying to do a similar SOA approach and database redesign effort, at a massively smaller scale, and we struggle trying to get it into a 5 to 10 year plan that is acceptable to business. Trying to do that across an entire company like Disney is nearly unbelievable. It can be done of course, but takes some major dedication and dollars. Both of which we've seen here.
Anyone know how long this thing has actually been in development?

PhotoDave219

Seems like things aren't as bad as the "insiders" wanted us to believe. However, this isn't really a good thing, because a contraction in revenue from the parks is exactly what Disney needs to wake up and start investing in its resorts again.

No but it looks like investment in the parks won't be happening for another year

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Holy Cow Batman,

Progress 4GL for THIS!!!!!, In a past life I have a couple million lines of progress code written, No wonder this can't handle the load. This is/was a classic 'big data' application and something like hadoop + noSQL would have been appropriate as you will be trying to execute at a guess at least 100K transactions per second.

Progress is GREAT for building custom applications quickly, It's pretty fast but not transactional system fast, Looks like they should have hired a team from a Wall St Quant. firm they might of had something that worked.

A enterprise service bus is standard API which hides underlying structure so you can leverage your data store without knowing how OTHER systems access your store. You trade speed however for universality.

Goofyernmost

Holy Cow Batman,

Progress 4GL for THIS!!!!!, In a past life I have a couple million lines of progress code written, No wonder this can't handle the load. This is/was a classic 'big data' application and something like hadoop + noSQL would have been appropriate as you will be trying to execute at a guess at least 100K transactions per second.

Progress is GREAT for building custom applications quickly, It's pretty fast but not transactional system fast, Looks like they should have hired a team from a Wall St Quant. firm they might of had something that worked.

A enterprise service bus is standard API which hides underlying structure so you can leverage your data store without knowing how OTHER systems access your store. You trade speed however for universality.
Right that's what I was going to say. However, it is important to warn you that if you do that (listed above) you will clean it up before you get any supper!:mad:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Holy Cow Batman,

It's likely that 74 got bits and pieces of the full picture, but there are many, many pieces to the puzzle.

Lil Fort

So sorry for your loss Spirit! You will be in my thoughts as you deal with your loss.

It sounds like whoever wrote what you have been pouring over was so technical that they don't know how to speak English anymore, or they were trying to get everyone so lost that they would have no alternative than to nod in agreement because it sounds so important. o_O

Enterprise Service Bus - think of this as a 'Universal Translator' of sorts. It acts as a middleman for different systems that don't necessarily speak the same language. If Disney is like most big corporations, they have a great number of systems, developed on different platforms and the Enterprise Service Bus is the hub that they want all of them to use to talk to each other.

SOA stands for 'Service Oriented Architecture'. This is more of a way of designing systems than it is an actual system itself. It is a description of what the Enterprise Service Bus does because the Enterprise Service Bus exposes Services (functions) that are 'consumed' by the different systems (clients) that need to talk to each other.

SAS 9.3 EBI - SAS is a brand name and EBI stands for Enterprise Business Intelligence. Basically this is an Enterprise Service Bus.
J2EE - Same thing... different flavor.

The in the context of what you wrote above, the terms 'Client' and 'Partner' in this case are most likely being used in an IT sense. I haven't read the text, but 'Client' most likely refers to the 'ESB clients' (the different systems that will use the services). 'Partner' can refer to one of 2 things in the IT world:
1. Software companies like to refer to themselves as 'Partners' (as in 'you're not just buying our software, we're your partners :cool:) and that terminology is tossed around quite a bit in technical circles. In this case the 'Partners' are SAS (for EBI) and Oracle (for J2EE).
2. 'Partner' can also be used to refer to the different software systems that are using the service. It makes the players feel good if they are 'Partners' in the process, especially if they are systems that are designed and maintained by different software providers.

I hope that didn't make your head hurt worse. In a nutshell, Disney, like many established large companies, has a bunch of ancient systems that don't play well together and they are trying to make them do so, so that they can share information. I for one hope they have one heck of a time doing so. Maybe that will convince them that this NGE nonsense isn't worth it! Oh well... at least a girl can hope... :rolleyes:

ETA - I just saw that a couple other folks beat me to the punch on this one. :)

doctornick

If the parks are indeed the biggest profit driver why are they the most neglected of all the divisions of Disney??

I think part of the problem is that the parks are profitable, but the return on investment is relatively low compared to other divisions. The parks cost a lot to operate (and maintain) under normal function. If you are trying to grow them, you have to pump a crapload of money into them to park a relatively small (percentage wise) return.

That's my layman's take though. If the company wants to invest $1B, they probably feel its a better bet to fund 4-5 "tentpole" movies and hope one is the next Avengers then it is to build a bunch of rides -- that will need to be maintained indefinitely and have to have staff run them -- for WDW.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think part of the problem is that the parks are profitable, but the return on investment is relatively low compared to other divisions. The parks cost a lot to operate (and maintain) under normal function. If you are trying to grow them, you have to pump a crapload of money into them to park a relatively small (percentage wise) return.

That's my layman's take though. If the company wants to invest $1B, they probably feel its a better bet to fund 4-5 "tentpole" movies and hope one is the next Avengers then it is to build a bunch of rides -- that will need to be maintained indefinitely and have to have staff run them -- for WDW.

Based on the quarter that just ended here is the breakdown of the profit margins (Operating Income/Revenue) for each segment:

Media Networks 43%
Parks 19%
Studio Entertainment 13%
Consumer Product 28%
Interactive -32%

ParentsOf4

Yes and no. Spending big money at the theme parks is no guarantee of success, just like it's no guarantee of success for several of Disney's "tent pole" movies.:)

Corporate Disney invested big money into DAK in 1998 and DCA in 2001 yet neither performed as well as expected.

Conversely, Universal spent relatively little on WWOHP and we all know how that worked out.

It not a matter of investing a lot, it's a matter of investing wisely.

Corporate Disney's living off a lot of franchises right now. Creatively, this is not one of Disney's better periods. (Hey, the 1970s was much worse! Without DL and WDW they might have gone belly up.)

What the recent creative misfires show is that Iger is a better administrator than creator. A good administrator can live off someone else's creativity for quite some time but, eventually, the well runs dry.

Disney's in a industry based on artistic creativity. Eventually his franchises are going to run out of steam. (Unless we're looking forward to Iron Man VII.)

Iger would make a fine CFO but they need someone with creative talent as CEO, someone with a better instinct to determine which project to OK and which to cancel. Walt Disney and Michael Eisner (OK, maybe Eisner went off the deep end in his later years) had that creative instinct. Bob Iger doesn't.

Walt always thought about what "the people" (as he called his customers) wanted. He often said, "That's not good enough for them" or "They'll expect something better."

The only thing Iger seems to say is "How much are we going to make from it?":(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom