Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
After the fiasco with ticketing crashing friday and tap to pay crashing today I guess you mean.... DOESN'T work.
When on Friday did it crash? It worked fine for me on Friday. Though, we only used the ticketing feature once (to get in around 11:30 am)...

We were told at the hotel to carry our KTTW card with us as well as the Magicbands were not everywhere and still had some quirks...

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
When on Friday did it crash? It worked fine for me on Friday. Though, we only used the ticketing feature once (to get in around 11:30 am)...

We were told at the hotel to carry our KTTW card with us as well as the Magicbands were not everywhere and still had some quirks...

Between 8:15am and 9:00+am it was DOWN hardcore.

Clever Name

Wow. We just missed it then.

I wonder if that's why the lines were so crazy long when we got there. I've never seen them look like that so late in the day. Sure, at 9 or 10a, but 11:30 and they were 20+ deep? Nuts!
I take this as a positive sign. It just goes to show how rapidly the system can be rebooted after a total shutdown. That's very impressive!

jensenrick

Manta is great at Sea World. They did a fantastic job positioning that thing. Seeing it is an attraction in itself.

IMO.

But it is very obvious that we all have different opinions about whether coasters belong in the parks. I'm not sure what it is about them that upsets people. I mean, I understand what people say! I just don't "get" it. Very often, I see both sides of something, but this is something I don't really "get", if that makes sense.

I do respect everyone's right to an opinion, though. :)

I know, right? I also think Manta is fantastic, one of my top five coasters, and it is an attraction just to watch it. People are always stopping to see it go by. Not to mention it's amazing queue! I also love the Hulk, and I think it's beautiful. Don't be telling an Irish man that green isn't a beautiful color!

I don't get the pearl clutching over "visible track." Aren't 98% of roller coasters "outside" anyway? I certainly don't think Rockin Roller Coaster is "better" than an outside coaster, just by virtue of being indoors. That's why an "indoor" coaster is always described that way, because an indoor coaster is a novelty. Personally I think the reason they enclosed RnRC (and gave it "strobe" lights) is because if people saw how small and short it was- they wouldn't bother.

P.S. - there's a thread that purports to show concept art for Star Wars "land" (as if) and it contains :eek: EXXPOSED Roller coaster TRACK! Right out there where the innocent children can SEE IT! :eek:

MerlinTheGoat

The thread about the Star Wars land in Epcot is an April Fools joke (thank heavens). Obviously fake even before I checked the date it was posted. And it looks terrible. Would be another horrible blow to Epcot if such a thing were ever actually done. The only coaster concepts i've seen that would work in Epcot have been the Mt Fuji or Matterhorn clone concepts they had planned originally, heavily hiding any of the actual coaster structure (logical additions to World Showcase and adding nice atmosphere). Besides that though, EPCOT's original purpose wasn't to be a thrill seeker's haven. It was supposed to be inspirational and stimulating to the brain (but still entertaining in its own way), a look back at our past achievements as well as potential glimpses at what the future could be like.

Adding a Star Wars Land to the park is a terrible idea, including any thoughts of plopping down an exposed coaster. I'm glad that was an April fools joke. This park has gone through quite enough BS over the past 20 years without making matters even worse.

A coaster being indoors is often just used as an opportunity to keep things dark so they can hide the track structure. Rarely do parks theme coasters in or out doors, and I don't make exceptions for any of them (whether Disney or Universal). Gringotts sounds like it's going to be an incredibly detailed indoor coaster, i'm looking forward to seeing what they accomplish there. The few outdoor coasters that make at least some effort at decent overall theming are a great step in the right direction IMO.

Last edited:

jensenrick

@marni1971 Didn't you mention that Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor was coming to Disneyland? Now Al Lutz is saying MILF has been scrapped in favor of a Star Wars 3D film attraction to replace EO. Which frankly makes way more sense to me.

What's THIS?? More SCREENS from Disney? :eek: I want an omnimover to slowly push me past an animatronic of Darth Vader DAMMIT! :cry:

jensenrick

Adding a Star Wars Land to the park is a terrible idea, including any thoughts of plopping down an exposed coaster. .

Obviously it's not going to Epcot, but are you saying you don't want Star Wars land in any park? (assuming we ever even get a Star Wars land green lit anyway)

MerlinTheGoat

Obviously it's not going to Epcot, but are you saying you don't want Star Wars land in any park? (assuming we ever even get a Star Wars land green lit anyway)
No, i'm saying I don't want it in Epcot. Not against it for Hollywood Studios.

Though my opinion of a Star Wars land is dependent on how well it's done. Simplistic simulators, coasters or a mixture of the two aren't enough (nor do I want to see naked roller coaster tracks with minimal theming)). We need something more than the safe route. And i'm worried by what Spirit and others have said that any future projects might be in danger of having their budgets mutilated to pay for the failures of next gen. The parks need serious help, but there's little point in even building anything unless they're willing to put actual effort in.

The Empress Lilly

What's THIS?? More SCREENS from Disney? :eek: I want an omnimover to slowly push me past an animatronic of Darth Vader DAMMIT! :cry:
I so wish Disney would dare this. would dare a SW omnimover ride. I think fans would kill for it.

I can watch SW moving images anywhere, 24/7. Why, my tv is as large as the screen in Star Tours, and 3d too. I don't need to go to theme parks for that. A Darth Vader AA looming six foot eight over me however is unique and would haunt my imagination for months afterwards...

Star Wars is not just thrill. It is also a mythical, mysterious, a journey into different worlds. A dark ride that would do justice to this would be the greatest ride on the planet.

stevehousse

I so wish Disney would dare this. would dare a SW omnimover ride. I think fans would kill for it.

I can watch SW moving images anywhere, 24/7. Why, my tv is as large as the screen in Star Tours, and 3d too. I don't need to go to theme parks for that. A Darth Vader AA looming six foot eight over me however is unique and would haunt my imagination for months afterwards...

Star Wars is not just thrill. It is also a mythical, mysterious, a journey into different worlds. A dark ride that would do justice to this would be the greatest ride on the planet.

Well if you think about it the speeder bike coaster is suppose to utilize screens for that attraction!

There was also that new "planes" tech ride system that Disney just got patented that would be an awesome xwing dark ride! Go look it up! It would be perfect for a Star Wars ariel battle in space!

manutdfan1

I completely agree as a BIG Star Wars fan. A Star Wars dark ride along the lines of HM that lasted a good 7-10 minutes would blow me AWAY. No need for a revolutionary ride system. Just some impressive AAs and large, immersive scenes.

I'm in awe by the mere thought of it.

COProgressFan

Another problem I have with Disney's corporate philosophy is that you rarely hear any true firings going on. For once I'd like someone creative in charge that can fully have people in their way "Shown the door" and publicize it...take this company back from the pencil pushers and bean counters (as Walt himself called them)
Except for the Disney has fired Jim Lewis, President of Disney Vacation Club

Jim Lewis was fired for either gross incompetence in handling Aulani, or outright accounting fraud. I suppose we'll never know exactly, but it takes a lot to get fired from Disney.

It doesn't matter how terrible you are at your job, or how many things you've botched. There is no accountability.

The Empress Lilly

I'll never understand the love of slow moving Omnimovers.
SSE, Mansion, Horizons...

Big sets, immersive environments. Being transported to a different place. A darkride is the physical equivalent of the movie experience. A sort of dreamlike state, where you are part of another world.

Imagine seeing all those SW locales and spaceships and creatures before you, in actual physical form! That you can be part of it, enveloped by it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom