Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
The problem: those decorations + BVS' decorations + Christmas World of Color > Disneyland's tired Christmas parade and fireworks (I love these fireworks but I'm in the extreme minority on that, I think). It would be tough to justify a hard ticket event without Disneyland introducing some new entertainment...it seems like we'd be hearing rumblings if new entertainment were planned for Disneyland at Christmas. The holidays are only like 4 months away...

EDIT: I now see you said Cars Land adding the Osborne Lights for 2014, not this year. Yeah, I can totally see that happening. Disneyland would still have to step up its game, though.
Would it be possible for DL to install the lights in the Big Thunder Ranch zone? Seems like a big enough area that could soak up a lot of guests and justify the hard ticket party...

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
the first is Horizons, quite simply one of the greatest rides ever and was replaced with the mess that is Mission Space and the 2nd is the Adventurers Club which is still too upsetting to talk about.
Thank you - these were two attractions I never experienced. My boys LOVE Mission Space though. Me, not so much.
We never made it over to PI as the kids were too young back then.
We did, however, enjoy Tarzan Rocks (if it's any consolation), and really enjoyed it. My husband and sons have never acquiesced to seeing Nemo or FotLK, though. They're not really into shows.

yeti

Just a few more details. Imagination is apparently finally getting some attraction attention, so it isn't closing like WoL. There will be changes coming. When I have solid info on the scope of them, I'll pass them along. I believe this is substantial, but not as much as most of us would like.

Oh, and since folks are busy arguing with a clueless fanboi elsewhere (really @Lee ... @marni1971?!?!), the Miceage report today is almost entirely accurate on ALL points (yes, including WDW).

All points? I was pretty gobsmacked to hear that about Laugh Floor with Monstropolis on the way in just a few years. I'm not doubting it, but it's a strange choice, albeit anything is better than EO in my book.

Would the Imagination treatment be comparable to say...what they did with Test Track last year?

Captain Neo

More Star Wars and Monsters Inc. in Tomorrowland. To say I'm underwhelmed is an understatement. Lame, lame, lame, lame LAME.

Good news for DHS, though.

I remember people whining about Carsland until the models and concept art came out then everyone was singing a different tune. Also, I still remember people thinking Universal investing in Harry Potter was dumb, that it was a "fad" and wouldn't take off.

Californian Elitist

I remember people whining about Carsland until the models and concept art came out then everyone was singing a different tune. Also, I still remember people thinking Universal investing in Harry Potter was dumb, that it was a "fad" and wouldn't take off.

I'm not interested in MILF, at all, and I prefer a different theme for this apparent motorbike attraction. Tron sounded better than Star Wars. Not to mention I'm ed about the lack of Iron Man rumors lately.

Captain Neo

I'm not interested in MILF, at all, and I prefer a different theme for this apparent motorbike attraction. Tron sounded better than Star Wars. Not to mention I'm ed about the lack of Iron Man rumors lately.

I hate MILF too and i'm still not convinced that they would put it in tomorrowland if a Monsters Inc. land is being built just a few feet away in DCA. Im wondering if it will have a different theme but use the same tech as MILF?

The Motorbike attraction has gone through 3 reskins already. Originally Tron, then Avatar, and now Star Wars. Obviously all the imagineers think it's gonna be good and have been fighting like crazy to get it greenlit I agree in that it sounds awesome.

The Iron Man/Marvel Project may still happen. A guy on Miceage heard from Anahiem management that Innoventions and Autopia was getting walled up to make way for it but because of the Star Wars acquisition everything is in disarray until plans are finalized.

yoyoflamingo

Glad to hear about Imagination, but cautiously optimistic, since we all know how the previous reimaginings have gone...

And Osborne Lights - someone in another thread suggested Blizzard Beach. Charge extra at night to come in? Seems like a good place IMO - a clever rearranging of the rehab schedule and it might be a winner, and pull in some $$ for TDO, because we all know they don't have enough.

Horizonsfan

A year's refurbishment does not sound like enough time to extend the track into the Magic Eye Theatre, or do anything substantial beyond replacing set pieces and props. I doubt Dreamfinder is coming back either.

Haven't posted in a while but wanted to respond with some information:

the original JII was closed October 10, 1998; version two opened October 1, 1999. <- Just under 1 year refurbishment
Version 2 closed October 8, 2001 and the current ride opened June 2, 2002 <- Roughly 8 month refurbishment

Given Disney's penchant for stretching construction costs, a year might not yield anything worthwhile. On the other hand, they've manage to completely overhaul (for better or worse) the pavilion in a year or so before.

Expanding to the MagicEye is a fanboi dream, that would be more surprising than anything they could announce about SW-land or diet Carsland. I'd just be happy with a return of the missing 40% of the track.

Crossing my fingers Disney does it right this time. At the very least, I hope they keep it Disney Channel IP-free.

Thanks for all the info Spirit! Can't wait to see how this all unfolds.

Californian Elitist

I hate MILF too and i'm still not convinced that they would put it in tomorrowland if a Monsters Inc. land is being built just a few feet away in DCA. Im wondering if it will have a different theme but use the same tech as MILF?

The Motorbike attraction has gone through 3 reskins already. Originally Tron, then Avatar, and now Star Wars. Obviously all the imagineers think it's gonna be good and have been fighting like crazy to get it greenlit I agree in that it sounds awesome.

The Iron Man/Marvel Project may still happen. A guy on Miceage heard from Anahiem management that Innoventions and Autopia was getting walled up to make way for it but because of the Star Wars acquisition everything is in disarray until plans are finalized.

Oh yeah, I'm not too excited for this Monsters mini-land going near Hollywood Land, either. I can think of better things than Monsters. These are the times I wish I had received an invite to that brainstorming session not too long ago. You know what the worst part is? The actual Hollywood is right up the street, a thirty to forty minute drive away. It's right there, and they just keep failing at what should be a fun and interesting part of the park. I just don't get it.

They had the perfect chance to come up with something new, and they decide to replace it with a hand-me-down. These kinds of decisions (Monsters mini-land near Hollywood Land, hand-me-down clones, etc.) question my faith in the current powers that be. I still think Tron would have been a better fit than Star Wars, especially after the amazing ElecTRONica, which I dearly miss. Plus, something different than what DHS is getting would have been nice.

The Autopia/Innoventions rumor is so old. I remember talking about it with my fellow CM buddies when I was working at the park, during our breaks, two years ago, and the rumor is even older than that. The Subs' showbuilding sits under Autopia, and the Monorail travels above it. If Autopia goes, it will create problems for these two attractions. I can't really see that happening anytime soon. Innoventions is a piece of crap, I can't wait until that gets demolished into pieces. I just wish it was happening now. I'm sick of these rumors, I want something announced and I want to see some shovel work.

Sorry for ranting.

Kuhio

Echo Lake is going nowhere under any plan I have been told. It is the only water in that park and I find it hard to believe that they're looking to turn it into DSP.

Jim Hill (who I know is very hit and miss but I don't think he was BSing this time) claimed that Echo Lake would be replaced by Mos Eisley complete with Cantina, Indy would be replaced by an Endor themed area with the new Speeder Bike simulator ride, the backlot express would be saved as a future expansion pad for the land and an X-Wing Spinner would be added in front of Star Tours.

I hope they don't get rid of Echo Lake -- it's pleasant to have a water feature in the center of the park, and Dinosaur Gertie is a quirky landmark that effectively evokes vintage Southern California culture.

The larger problem with replacing Echo Lake with Mos Eisley (or some other part of "Star Wars Land") is the fact that, by doing so, you'd have Star Wars elements abutting directly against the "Old Hollywood" architecture of Hollywood Boulevard.

The actual lake -- and Gertie, for that matter -- serve as an effective buffer and transition from Hollywood Boulevard to some of the more fantasy-based parts of the Studios. Having jawas and the like hobnobbing around in that location, literally on the doorstep of the building facades at the end of Hollywood Boulevard, would be thematically jarring, to say the least.

doctornick

More Star Wars and Monsters Inc. in Tomorrowland. To say I'm underwhelmed is an understatement. Lame, lame, lame, lame LAME.

Yeah, I don't get the idea of MILF going into DL Tomorrowland. It's not a thematic fit and they are supposedly building a Monstropolis area in DCA. Why not just make it part of the DCA additions?

And wasn't the current Captain Eo space the rumored area for an indoor Jedi Academy at DL? Is that not going to be part of this expansion for DLR?

doctornick

Theoretically, they could do Stich Encounter which is a similar concept. Debateably a better thematic fit for Tomorrowland than MILF.

doctornick

Sounds like they are considering the other Star Wars proposal which replaces Muppet area and the streets of America instead of Echo Lake and Indy.

Not necessarily, I would think. The SoA area where the lights are right next to Pixar Place and are probably more likely part of the Cars/Pixar expansion than the Star Wars one. WDW1974's point that the future of the Muppets is still undecided suggests to me that the the SoA loss if tied to Cars/Pixar since the Muppets are solidly in between Star Wars and the rest of SoA.

As an aside, I really hope this doesn't mean that we are going to lose Sci Fi. I hope they leave that small path untouched in this expansion and it survives.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom