Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

stevehousse

If they really are taking away muppets and streets of America for Star Wars, not to be a Debbie Downer, but wouldn't that make Star Wars extremely big as in half the park big? Why not just redo te entire park as Star Wars or give Star Wars its own park? I jut don't see how it will all come together if its so spread out Ike that? I would have assumed that Pixar Place expansion would be more likely to take over SOA instead of Star Wars???

doctornick

Everyone is so upset about the Osbourne Lights leaving...and I get that...

What's killing me is that nobody seems to care that Indiana Jones will no longer have a presence at WDW.
I could give two craps about a Star Wars expansion if it means losing the only piece of Indy.

We better get an Indy ride down the road somewhere or I'm going to be really ed.

I'd like to see IJ stay in some capacity, but the stunt show is long overdue to be replaced.

WDW1974 has indicated that there is no plans for IJ to be used elsewhere in WDW. But I'm of the mind that they'll bring him back at some point in the future when they want to build a ride because it will be an easy IP to use -- whether it be something in Adventureland, elsewhere in DHS or even (though a bit of a stretch) in DAK. And we know how the company is find of using established IP to theme rides instead of creating new concepts.

doctornick

If they really are taking away muppets and streets of America for Star Wars

1. It doesn't seem like it is certain as to whether the Muppets are staying or going from their current location.

2. It's not clear that the SoA are being removed for Star Wars. It seems to me that that area is more likely going to be used for Pixar/Cars.

twebber55

Everyone is so upset about the Osbourne Lights leaving...and I get that...

What's killing me is that nobody seems to care that Indiana Jones will no longer have a presence at WDW.
I could give two craps about a Star Wars expansion if it means losing the only piece of Indy.

We better get an Indy ride down the road somewhere or I'm going to be really ed.
if it were the indy ride i would agree but the show was one and done for us..ready for this expansion

bubbles1812

I'd like to see IJ stay in some capacity, but the stunt show is long overdue to be replaced.

WDW1974 has indicated that there is no plans for IJ to be used elsewhere in WDW. But I'm of the mind that they'll bring him back at some point in the future when they want to build a ride because it will be an easy IP to use -- whether it be something in Adventureland, elsewhere in DHS or even (though a bit of a stretch) in DAK. And we know how the company is find of using established IP to theme rides instead of creating new concepts.
I feel the same way. Would like to see Indy stay, but I just can't get that worked up over a show that has remained exactly the same for 20+ years leaving. Now if nothing were replacing it, sure, Id have an issue. I hate when something is exchanged for nothing. Disney does that so well. :( But in theory, something new is going in at least (or at least I hope.)

stevehousse

1. It doesn't seem like it is certain as to whether the Muppets are staying or going from their current location.

2. It's not clear that the SoA are being removed for Star Wars. It seems to me that that area is more likely going to be used for Pixar/Cars.

Kind of why I started the sentence with "if" because there are various versions of this expansion that has been talked about and no one knows exactly what is happening? There is a version that was mentioned that Star Wars was gonna take over those 2 parts so...

EDIT: I also stated at the end of my post that it seemed that area of SOA would seem better placed for Pixar Place???

Not sure why u quoted my post???

71jason

While I get the love for the Osborne lights--been every year for a decade--are you all serious about putting them in Radiator Springs? Does theme mean nothing?

Thematically they could maybe work in DTD, depending on how the new construction shakes out, but if the Springs goes according to plan, not sure TDO will want even more guests there. As is, it gets pretty crazy with holiday shoppers and people looking for "Disney Holiday Magic" without a $100 ticket.

Best plan would probably be the bridge connecting Future World and World Showcase--seems like the perfect spot for some holiday lights.

pheneix

Just a few more details. Imagination is apparently finally getting some attraction attention, so it isn't closing like WoL. There will be changes coming. When I have solid info on the scope of them, I'll pass them along. I believe this is substantial, but not as much as most of us would like.

On the holiday lights, they may well stay alive, but marketing has been told they won't be able to be shown at TPFKaTD-MGMS, which will soon be known as TPFKaTD-MGMSandTPFKaDHS due to ''ongoing construction'' in the area where they have been held. If TDO finds another place for them, then you'll see them (although almost certainly not for one year). It's more likely that they'll see what happens when they don't have them and see if they can send them to Yesterland permanently.

Oh, and since folks are busy arguing with a clueless fanboi elsewhere (really @Lee ... @marni1971?!?!), the Miceage report today is almost entirely accurate on ALL points (yes, including WDW).

Yeah Disney is basically pulling this building down for 18 months+ just to have the operational costs removed from Epcot's books. Whether or not the replacement project is ready in 18 months isn't really as much of a priority. I don't think Orlando will cry any tears if this facility is down until 2016.

Also, Beauty and the Beast is closing but NO replacement has been budgeted? That sounds like a theme park taking down operating capacity in anticipation of lower attendance to me.

doctornick

After reading the Lutz article, it sounds like they want to ship the current DCA pixar play parade here, but it was like IF TDO wants it, well we all know how thats going to go. Of course with construction at the studios I guess they couldnt run one for a few years anyway but would sure be nice to have.

My question is about what will happen to the parade storage buildings (located behind Backlot Express, I believe) and the parade route. I think that if they get the current Pixar parade from DCA that they'd probably set it up to go through the new Pixar Place before heading down Hollywood Blvd. Which could involve building some new parade storage backstage as part of the Cars/Pixar expansion in that section of the park.

Of course, as part of it, I'm still hoping that the Star Wars expansion goes backwards into the backstage area -- would be the perfect area for the proposed walk through Millennium Falcon -- instead of encroaching into the Muppets area.

TarzanRocked99-

Yeah Disney is basically pulling this building down for 18 months+ just to have the operational costs removed from Epcot's books. Whether or not the replacement project is ready in 18 months isn't really as much of a priority. I don't think Orlando will cry any tears if this facility is down until 2016.

Depends on what transpires inside of it during that time span.

Also, Beauty and the Beast is closing but NO replacement has been budgeted? That sounds like a theme park taking down operating capacity in anticipation of lower attendance to me.

Sounds very similar to what happened at the Studios back in 2001/2002 when entertainment was slashed and they got rid of Hunchback, Doug Live, and a bunch if streetmosphere all with no replacements. I had kind of hoped we were past those days.

doctornick

but we should be able to have both an expansion AND the lights. Sick of replacements happening instead of additions.

This. I don't understand why TDO has the blessing of space and yet always seems to replace rather than add on. I'm not saying that they should never replace things, but there never seems to be a tendency to use expansion pads and add new stuff. Why not expand into the parking lot behind IJ for Star Wars instead of demolishing SoA and/or Muppets?

Pixiedustmaker

If they really are taking away muppets and streets of America for Star Wars, not to be a Debbie Downer, but wouldn't that make Star Wars extremely big as in half the park big? Why not just redo te entire park as Star Wars or give Star Wars its own park? I jut don't see how it will all come together if its so spread out Ike that? I would have assumed that Pixar Place expansion would be more likely to take over SOA instead of Star Wars???

I doubt they'd close off a massive area of DHS for a Carsland or Star Wars land. The LMA arena opened around 2005, relatively new, and Osbourne Lights is uber-popular during the holidays. DHS is flying high with 10 million guests a year, no need to rock the boat and take out attractions, at this point. They could build in the parking lot, or somewhere on an empty lot.

Take all these rumors with a grain of salt.

Pixiedustmaker

This. I don't understand why TDO has the blessing of space and yet always seems to replace rather than add on. I'm not saying that they should never replace things, but there never seems to be a tendency to use expansion pads and add new stuff. Why not expand into the parking lot behind IJ for Star Wars instead of demolishing SoA and/or Muppets?

It costs money to demolish, and TDO could see DHS's attendance plumet from 10 million to DCA 1.0 levels . . . there just aren't a lot of rides in DHS.

An official Reedy Creek expansion plans involves using the parking lot, and/or area across World Drive, and building a parking garage. Parks like Epcot and AK actually have space to put new stuff in them relatively easy.

NFL was built on land that hadn't been used for much for a while, and Avatarland is going on basically unused space.

Captain Neo

It costs money to demolish, and TDO could see DHS's attendance plumet from 10 million to DCA 1.0 levels . . . there just aren't a lot of rides in DHS.

An official Reedy Creek expansion plans involves using the parking lot, and/or area across World Drive, and building a parking garage. Parks like Epcot and AK actually have space to put new stuff in them relatively easy.

NFL was built on land that hadn't been used for much for a while, and Avatarland is going on basically unused space.

Are you seriously doubting Al Lutz and WDW1974? You must be brand new to the world of Disney news

RSoxNo1

I dont know if I'd go that far,they've been known to do dumb things:
2542043884_aa75bbb31d_m.jpg

Horizons_Full_767.jpg
Oh the humanity

RSoxNo1

Jim Hill (who I know is very hit and miss but I don't think he was BSing this time) claimed that Echo Lake would be replaced by Mos Eisley complete with Cantina, Indy would be replaced by an Endor themed area with the new Speeder Bike simulator ride, the backlot express would be saved as a future expansion pad for the land and an X-Wing Spinner would be added in front of Star Tours.

What I want to know is how does the new trilogy factor into this Star Wars land? Wouldn't a new attraction be based off of something in the new films or is the plan to eventually redo Star Tours into Star Tours 3 and add new destinations and action sequences in that?
Jim also said that it was one of a few plans, another being that Mos Eisley would go into Mama Melrose's.

Travel Junkie

I'm not interested in MILF, at all, and I prefer a different theme for this apparent motorbike attraction. Tron sounded better than Star Wars. Not to mention I'm ed about the lack of Iron Man rumors lately.

I do not get MILF at all. It would fail very quickly in Anaheim. Indoor shows rarely succeed at DLR. The shows in Frontierland are the exception not the rule.

I also prefer Tron, but I understand them wanting to get more of Star Wars into the parks. All of these IP acquisitions caught DLR in a weird spot. They aren't quite ready for a 3rd theme park, but they could easily build some sort of heroes vs villains type park with Star Wars, Marvel, and throw in some of the Pixar franchises like the Incredible's. As it stands now they are trying and shoe horn franchises in where they don't quite fit to try and leverage them while they are relevant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom