Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Rodan75

Since Spirit indicated that Uni is strongly considering a 3rd Gate....here is a question... (Not including water park gates)

Everyone has seen the amount of Infrastructure TWDC has had to invest into WDW infrastructure and the drag that creates on profits, does it really make sense to make any of the current 2 park resorts, Disney or Uni, into 3 + park resorts?

I know it is fun to dream on 3rd Gates but is it wise?

ParentsOf4

I agree that HP was not necessarily a good fit for WDW, but it was a good match for theme parks in general. I think a problem with Pandora is that it's not only a weak fit for DAK, but a weak property for theme park adaptation in general.
Speaking of things that supposedly are not good fits for Disney theme parks, I recall a sense of outrage among some Star Wars fans in the mid-1980s when word got out they were building a Star Wars attraction at Disneyland. I attended a local SW show and it was all they talked about that day; lots of mixed reactions. My brother-in-law, a Star Wars junkie, was pretty upset they were building a Star Wars attraction in a "kiddie park".

Now he rarely misses Star Wars weekends.

Oh how reality changes perception.

Lee

Adventurer
Since Spirit indicated that Uni is strongly considering a 3rd Gate....here is a question... (Not including water park gates)

Everyone has seen the amount of Infrastructure TWDC has had to invest into WDW infrastructure and the drag that creates on profits, does it really make sense to make any of the current 2 park resorts, Disney or Uni, into 3 + park resorts?

It depends on the resort, but it can be very wise.

The problem lies in the sheer size of WDW, which makes its infrastructure so much more costly than a Disneyland or Uni. Three parks and some hotels are less cost-heavy than a small city like WDW.

Calvin Coolidge

I certainly can't think of any 2 park resorts that would really benefit from expanding to a third. The ideal 2-park resort has both parks relatively close together. I've always been skeptical of rumblings about a third gate in Anaheim or UOR (not skeptical that there are plans, just of the wisdom of the plans themselves) because building one park far away from the other two has never made much sense to me.

Goofyernmost

The awful truth is that only we (and I'm not including myself here) care about "fit". What the vast majority of people seek is something new and something entertaining. It's been that way for me since my first visit in 1983. Although I understood the concept of "lands", it meant diddly to me. If PoTC had been in Tomorrowland, I wouldn't have cared even a little. What it had to fit was my personal observation of, did I like it while I was experiencing it? After that it was of little or no importance as to the exact location of it.

That is probably why, I don't see a problem with the themes at DHS or, to a lesser degree, DAK. HP would have fit in someplace and if it had been done like it was done in Uni...it would have been extremely successful. Even at Uni if you purely want to think about location, having to walk through Seuss Landing to get to it, is hardly a set up for mood, is it? Once you get there it has a distinct and believable theme and is it's own little world. What is immediately outside it, has no influence at all.

MattM

Right now TDO is finding new and inventive ways to separate visitors from their money. Investment in rides/attractions/etc. does not appear to be high on their priority list.....

That's true, Disney is trying to separate people from their money. So is universal, sea world, Busch gardens, and every other for profit venture out there.

What we'll have to wait and see is, will the non-discussion board Disney visitors think as poorly of nextgen as most here? Will they really notice at all? Will they care? We're seeing two diametrically opposed strategies here between Disney and UNI/SW.

But to think that UNI and SW isnt doing it all for the money (or greed, as it's called here when Disney does it) is less than true, IMO.

MattM

What stands out without question and backed by fact is that this mentality is overwhelmingly happening with corporations in the United States. Whether it's corporate pay or investment in the home country, our country is off the charts in a terrible way compared to businesses in countries elsewhere in the world.

Just curious...like which companies in which countries?

culturenthrills

It depends on the resort, but it can be very wise.

The problem lies in the sheer size of WDW, which makes its infrastructure so much more costly than a Disneyland or Uni. Three parks and some hotels are less cost-heavy than a small city like WDW.

It would be way more compact than WDW, think more like DL resort. I think one of the biggest keys will be transportation. How will they link all the parks, resorts and Citywalk together? I can't imagine them using busses cause I bet the local govts would not be happy about that.

BryceM

I certainly can't think of any 2 park resorts that would really benefit from expanding to a third. The ideal 2-park resort has both parks relatively close together. I've always been skeptical of rumblings about a third gate in Anaheim or UOR (not skeptical that there are plans, just of the wisdom of the plans themselves) because building one park far away from the other two has never made much sense to me.
I also like two park resorts. Universal Orlando Resort, Disneyland Resort, and Tokyo Disney Resort benefit of the close proximity between the two parks, the hotels, etc. I dunno, just two parks sound ideal to me, while a 3rd added on to any of those would seem to be a burden. But it's not that way at WDW because of all of that land and things not being built so close together in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom